ADVERTISEMENT

Most Underrated/Overrated Teams in 1a

The NORTHUMBERLAND INDIANS = UNDERRATED
I don't know why people continue to sleep on this team. I mean they have the toughest nondistrict schedule in Region A and their talent is unmatched. They have the BEST QB in Region A because he came from a 6A school so there is no way any team could compete with that. Adams along with the rest of the cast wont be tested until they play Riverheads. You can count on them to avg 50pts per game with the number 1 air attack in the state. Just Watch & See!!!

Reactions: RappriverEHS
I said it earlier on in preseason but I think Rappahannock in underrated. Didn't lose very many key players and have some speed all around. I think they will give my quote on quote "hype train, one man show" a great outing. Before you Rapp posters start attacking me no one has ever asked my opinion on you guys. You just start attacking anybody making a case for the Indians so of course I have to defend them. I honestly think that all the nnd games will be close matchups. Hey guys just my opinion it a discussion right?

@Jdavis54 I don't think your part of the hype train lol but the other guy does get excited.

NHS does have some talent down there and I'm just hype for district play.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Okay, it seems that many locals want to make fun of Northumberland and that I have said how much they have improved over their last about 25 years (that’s called sports history).

Last year two team’s fans said that they were much improved- one was Rapp and one was NHS. When NHS fans said they looked really good compared to the their own past it was said mainly by Rapp and Essex fans NHS had started the hype train and laughed.

I guess it was all hype. Oh, wait a minute, NHS had its best season in almost 23 years, defeated W&L for the 1st time in 21 years, whipped Rapp badly, and won only their 2nd playoff game in decades. I wonder if what was predicted happened just as predicted...

I wonder how that other teams predictions worked out....

Enough of this talk - I want to know about Colonial Beach and William Campbell. How will Franklin finish? Who will win the West? I am pulling for Chilhowie out west. They remind me of Northumberland in the East in terms of their underdog status.

How about Patrick Henry? I didn't look at my notes but I think that they are 5-0. One of the best records so far, any details on them?

Last edited:
Reactions: WhudeyCHS
William Campbell . These guys could upset anyone ! Well coached and have what it takes . Need things to go their way . Big test for the Red Team .

Narrows could be my answer for both sides of this discussion. They played very well against a Giles squad a few weeks ago, but let's be honest, not a traditional Giles squad. Now, I want to see them really put on a show (Covington maybe) against a quality opponent. Then I'm a believer. Until then their ranking may make them overrated. And Wave fans, let me add, this is a great leap forward for the program. They were not even being discussed a few years back, so good on that school!

Call me crazy here we go:

Most underrated is Essex they still are Kings of the NND. Essex has the coaching, the history, and pedigree of players to continue there dominance. The losses to Franklin and King William do not define this program. All due respect the NND is not the Tri- Rivers district which has Franklin carrying the torch for the district this year. Franklin has already beaten 2 of best teams in the NND Essex and CB respectfully. Essex will win the neck and advance deep in the playoffs . I cant see any other team from the NND doing so, for that reason Essex is my underrated team.

For my most overrated team is Northumberland : They must prove if they can win a big meaningful game until then the noise needs to cease. Currently the program must shake the 1 trick pony stigma and play some tuff hard nose football. The biggest game in the the programs history is on the horizon like i stated before a win will elevate this program for years to come, a lose to Essex means same old song ! Northumberland must win the NND and go deep in the playoffs if not they are a bust. The emergence and passion for Northumberland is a great thing on these boards i appreciate all who represents there beloved programs! ( The Tigers are in training this year, they will be eating again next year you all have 1 year to enjoy) LOL

Reactions: obguthr
I dont watch enough teams to chime in soo most underrated and overrated is Franklin..lol..they were winning the game against park view until nicholas porter fumbled back to back offensive series within 4plays.that was two tds franklin gave up after that.parkview is a solid team nonetheless.i said weeks back if they go 3-1 against pv,greensville,brunswick, and southampton, they should be ready for the playoffs

My thoughts:

The most underrated team nod has to go to the team that has been selected to lose on a 10 to 1 ratio in the Weekly Picks: West Point. Even though WP's offense and defense stats suggested otherwise, very, very few people selected WP to win in the Weekly Pick, to include this week's Pick vs CB. As I stated earlier, I am not taking CB for granted, but I think WP will beat CB.

I don't think there are overrated teams--I think there are overrated opinions on teams. I think a lot of people are basing their opinions on teams based on personal bias, brand loyalty, etc., instead of game stats and performance. WP didn't make most people's top 15 except the 1 or 2 who pay attention to actual game stats and even those had them just outside the top 10. Another example are the Weekly Picks of Northampton vs WP and Rapp vs WP. Less than 2 maybe 3 people picked WP to beat Northampton or Rapp, and most were predicting Rapp to beat WP by 3 TDs, although WP's previous game stats would suggest a statistically different outcome. And not picking on Rapp, their players played a clean game and were very sportsmanlike, helping up our RBs on nearly every play. Obviously a credit to their parents and coaches.

My thoughts:

The most underrated team nod has to go to the team that has been selected to lose on a 10 to 1 ratio in the Weekly Picks: West Point. Even though WP's offense and defense stats suggested otherwise, very, very few people selected WP to win in the Weekly Pick, to include this week's Pick vs CB. As I stated earlier, I am not taking CB for granted, but I think WP will beat CB.

I don't think there are overrated teams--I think there are overrated opinions on teams. I think a lot of people are basing their opinions on teams based on personal bias, brand loyalty, etc., instead of game stats and performance. WP didn't make most people's top 15 except the 1 or 2 who pay attention to actual game stats and even those had them just outside the top 10. Another example are the Weekly Picks of Northampton vs WP and Rapp vs WP. Less than 2 maybe 3 people picked WP to beat Northampton or Rapp, and most were predicting Rapp to beat WP by 3 TDs, although WP's previous game stats would suggest a statistically different outcome. And not picking on Rapp, their players played a clean game and were very sportsmanlike, helping up our RBs on nearly every play. Obviously a credit to their parents and coaches.

Well said and thought out.

Yes, I am very interested in the CB v WP game. From what I understand, CB is still tough CB but not quite as strong as last season.

Reactions: MGF
Underrated-John I. Burton

No love at all for Region D on here, despite the Region having a legit contender for a state title in Chilhowie

Reactions: WhudeyCHS
Underrated-John I. Burton

No love at all for Region D on here, despite the Region having a legit contender for a state title in Chilhowie
It might help if some of their fans got on here and talked about the teams from region D more. That would probably get others on here talking about them as well.

Reactions: WP02alum
It might help if some of their fans got on here and talked about the teams from region D more. That would probably get others on here talking about them as well.

That's true, not many Region D folk post over here.

Burton isn't a contender for a state title but they could surprise some people. Grundy as well. Their running back, Gabe Fisher, had 368 yards and 5 TD last night. He has over 300 yards in three of last five games

Thru six games, he has 1,328 yards and 16 TD, averaging 221 yards and 3 TD per game

Reactions: gwb16 and MT FAN 91
Went to the chilhowie Va high Game. VA HIGH left way to many opportunities on
the table to beat a team like Chilhowie. If I remember correctly they had drives stall 4 times inside the red zone. One was on 1 yard line. You can't do that against a team the caliber of Chilhowie.
Again I believe Chilhowie has not played anybody to test them or will they until deep in the playoffs.
Chilhowie is and will take of business until then. After watching CH and Galax both play. I believe they will play for the trip to Salem.
Interesting game CH has everyone back and seem to be stronger than they was across the front than last year. Experience, leadership will serve them well.
Galax on the other hand has a group of kids that have in the past 3 years won a state championship and played in two semi final games. They are use to the big stage and has speed and athletes in bunches. Everyone is sleeping on Galax but I am telling you don't. This is not the team we beat last year, completely different animal and is light years ahead of last years team. We will be lucky to score on them!

Seriously, it’s not our fault no one in Region D posts here. What are we supposed to do?

Well you could at least consider teams like Chilhowie as legit title contenders instead of annonting Essex or Riverheads champs already

Galax and Chilhowie should not be overlooked for sure. I can’t say that some of the other teams in the West aren’t contenders but I will say there is a little bit of history of having great records and falling flat when playing equally talented teams in the playoffs. All due respect to those several teams that have performed excellently so far.

I personally think there about 5-6 teams that can hoist the trophy in Salem. 2-3 out west and about the same in the east. It’s about matchups in my opinion. If the right team catches certain perceived powerhouse teams it can certainly go to the “underdog”. I keep trying to remind people these are 16-18 year old young men and there are influences that can impact the outcome regardless of what “should” happen.

I will go ahead and piss some people off and say it like this. When you play teams that only win 1-2 games a year regardless of classification, it’s hard to convince me that you are a quality team until you prove it during the playoffs. To prove my point, there isn’t a team in the top of the “polls” that would have a better record than Galax against the teams they have played. I contend that most would have a loss or two more. They are the cream of the crop this year and should have a legitimate shot to get to Salem. Can Narrows or GW beat them for Region C? Sure but through the games so far I think they won’t.

Region D is a mystery to a degree but let’s be honest beating Northwood, Rye Cove and Castlewood isn’t surprising. I have read about the respect or overlooking thing for a few years and it’s tiring. Chilhowie is legit, Burton may be and I coulldnt tell you if Holston or Honaker are but until there is some wins with substance, bump that noise about being ignored.

The soapbox is wobbling again so I must step down. Continue on with the discussion. It is quite entertaining

Chilhowie just DISMANTLED a pretty good 2A Virginia High team with ease. They've played some bad teams but they've also played some good teams.
Burton did lose to Union but beat 2A Lee High and just beat a good East side team. Burton only losses are 2A #2 in power points Union in Region D and Chilhowie. They still have to play Honaker, Thomas Walker (much improved TW too) and Grundy, who has a running back who has to be leading the state in rushing. He has three 300 yards rushing games in last five weeks. He's over 1,300 yards thru six games and has scored 16 TD

Well you could at least consider teams like Chilhowie as legit title contenders instead of annonting Essex or Riverheads champs already

Why is my opinion more important than yours? You’re here. Tell us about it.

Chilhowie also beat the snot out of George Wythe and still play undefeated Patrick Henry (GS).

1A Region D is not bad at all. Two undefeated teams and two pretty good teams in Burton and Grundy .

Why is my opinion more important than yours? You’re here. Tell us about it.

I didn't single you out, it just seems no one is giving Chilhowie any chance. They return everyone from a state runner up team and are much better than last year.

@BigWinners, I absolutely agree that Chilhowie has a chance to not only get to but win the title. The statement about overlooking the rest of Region D is what I was trying to address, apparently ineffectively. I will be that guy and tell you that none of the other teams resumes are that impressive. Union is the only team you mentioned that anyone outside of SWVA and fanatics like me have heard of. Lee and Virginia do not strike fear in anyone across the state( with all due respect).

So that I am clear, Chilhowie is a very solid team so they are certainly getting hype across the state. Burton, Thomas Walker, and Honaker are not names familiar to the masses and there are no posters consistently singing their praises. It isn’t a slight but I know little about most of them except they play each other and a few teams from TN, KY and WV.

I attempt to be fair an somewhat objective in looking at this stuff. I truly believe there are 6 teams with a shot to hold the trophy up in Salem. My six in no particular order are; Chilhowie, Riverheads, Galax, Essex, CB and a surprising Northumberland. Franklin is right there but I am not sold they can win a big road game in the playoffs. I could be completely wrong but that’s my take.

I don’t think WC, WP, Narrows or any other region D team can run the playoff gauntlet. There is something to be said for experience and that is why until Essex is knocked out, the region A folks better be careful how much they poke the dog.

Feel free to dispute what I am saying but let me know why I shouldn’t be sleeping on a team.

This is just a subject that makes absolutely no sense at all to me. "You guys arent talking about so and so, why not." Its not just this one time here, all over the boards for years. The frustrating part to me is whenever it is brought up, the person bringing it up usually doesnt say anything about them either, just says everyone else should be talking about them.

The kicker to the dilemma is that when someone not from the area that "should" be talked about chimes in and doesn't know as much since they aren't from that area or seen the teams, they are told you haven't seen them so you cant know.

We can't really speak with knowledge of something we know nothing about. So maybe the solution is for people from those areas should chime in. I'm not going to comment on how good Union is and they are better/worse/championship contender when I haven't seen them.

I or anyone else can make a prediction based on the information we have available to us, but to actually give substantial information on them is impossible for accuracy standards

@BigWinners, I absolutely agree that Chilhowie has a chance to not only get to but win the title. The statement about overlooking the rest of Region D is what I was trying to address, apparently ineffectively. I will be that guy and tell you that none of the other teams resumes are that impressive. Union is the only team you mentioned that anyone outside of SWVA and fanatics like me have heard of. Lee and Virginia do not strike fear in anyone across the state( with all due respect).

So that I am clear, Chilhowie is a very solid team so they are certainly getting hype across the state. Burton, Thomas Walker, and Honaker are not names familiar to the masses and there are no posters consistently singing their praises. It isn’t a slight but I know little about most of them except they play each other and a few teams from TN, KY and WV.

I attempt to be fair an somewhat objective in looking at this stuff. I truly believe there are 6 teams with a shot to hold the trophy up in Salem. My six in no particular order are; Chilhowie, Riverheads, Galax, Essex, CB and a surprising Northumberland. Franklin is right there but I am not sold they can win a big road game in the playoffs. I could be completely wrong but that’s my take.

I don’t think WC, WP, Narrows or any other region D team can run the playoff gauntlet. There is something to be said for experience and that is why until Essex is knocked out, the region A folks better be careful how much they poke the dog.

Feel free to dispute what I am saying but let me know why I shouldn’t be sleeping on a team.
Franklin beat Essex in Essex handled them and colonial beach yall gonna have to stop sleeping on Franklin because there aren't many teams that's gonna come to the armory and leave with a win in the playoffs. I don't see Franklin losing anymore games so region A coming to the armory along with riverhead. If the shoe fit wear it. Just being honest

Galax and Chilhowie should not be overlooked for sure. I can’t say that some of the other teams in the West aren’t contenders but I will say there is a little bit of history of having great records and falling flat when playing equally talented teams in the playoffs. All due respect to those several teams that have performed excellently so far.

I personally think there about 5-6 teams that can hoist the trophy in Salem. 2-3 out west and about the same in the east. It’s about matchups in my opinion. If the right team catches certain perceived powerhouse teams it can certainly go to the “underdog”. I keep trying to remind people these are 16-18 year old young men and there are influences that can impact the outcome regardless of what “should” happen.

I will go ahead and piss some people off and say it like this. When you play teams that only win 1-2 games a year regardless of classification, it’s hard to convince me that you are a quality team until you prove it during the playoffs. To prove my point, there isn’t a team in the top of the “polls” that would have a better record than Galax against the teams they have played. I contend that most would have a loss or two more. They are the cream of the crop this year and should have a legitimate shot to get to Salem. Can Narrows or GW beat them for Region C? Sure but through the games so far I think they won’t.

Region D is a mystery to a degree but let’s be honest beating Northwood, Rye Cove and Castlewood isn’t surprising. I have read about the respect or overlooking thing for a few years and it’s tiring. Chilhowie is legit, Burton may be and I coulldnt tell you if Holston or Honaker are but until there is some wins with substance, bump that noise about being ignored.

The soapbox is wobbling again so I must step down. Continue on with the discussion. It is quite entertaining

. I believe you are spot on about the 15 to 18 year olds. It's a tangible that cannot be predicted. We have all seen a team just not show up and get beat when they shouldn't have. As well as a team come out and thrash a team that was in aspects a much better team.

@woodlayer#952002, I am not sleeping on the Broncos and they may very well hoist the trophy in Salem. I just don’t know if they can travel and win in a playoff game. All due respect, you know there is a different atmosphere during the playoffs. And you may be right that they could be hosting the whole way through which is always a benefit. No haterade out of this guy.

Ah yes the craziness that high school football. RED PRIDE is 100% correct

Perfect case in Point I went to watch Clintwood get absolutely curbstomped by Grayson County a few years ago. I think GC hung 60 on them. Everything that Grayson did that night worked and ALL the breaks went there way. And to be perfectly honest we was not a great team that year. Then Clintwood got a hard fought victory over a Galax team in the state championship game that absolutely curb stomped us that same year.
Some times the stars just align. The state semi final between Galax and Chilhowie last year is another good example. Galax loses a 3000 plus yard rusher and the QB from Chilhowie had the game of his life. Everything he threw up came down perfectly, he couldn't miss. CH comes back at the last few minutes to win the game. You play that game 10 times Galax comes out on top 8 to 9 times. No disrespect to CH just calling it as I see it.
That is why high school ball is so fun

Most overrated this season has been WC.
Most underrated would probably be Chilhowie or Patrick Henry.

I say Chilhowie has been underrated because very few people (including me at the beginning of the season) have given them a chance against teams like Riverheads and Essex).

However, Chilhowie and Galax have been in the Top 4 in most State Top Tens all season so you can't say no one has given them respect and attention.

Region D people just need to post more on Preps and promote their teams if they believe in them. Don't worry about detractors, if your team is good, you will show who is boss when all is said and done.

@woodlayer#952002, I am not sleeping on the Broncos and they may very well hoist the trophy in Salem. I just don’t know if they can travel and win in a playoff game. All due respect, you know there is a different atmosphere during the playoffs. And you may be right that they could be hosting the whole way through which is always a benefit. No haterade out of this guy.
Yes, it is a phenomenon. Some teams lose composure and confidence when they get to the big game. It's hard to understand and explain.

Reactions: woodlayer#952002
Franklin beat Essex in Essex handled them and colonial beach yall gonna have to stop sleeping on Franklin because there aren't many teams that's gonna come to the armory and leave with a win in the playoffs. I don't see Franklin losing anymore games so region A coming to the armory along with riverhead. If the shoe fit wear it. Just being honest

That's a bold statement...but I like the confidence! Just take it easy on my Tigers lol

Curious..what have you seen from Franklin this year that makes you think they cant win on the road in playoffs ? And to the other guy, if you want us to know about region D, gotta post about them.No disrespect but i cant even name a region D team (jiburton?)

Reactions: MGF and trutiger16
Most Posters out west post on the Swva football site. Go there and you can find interesting info on teams out west. Some of the posters on this forum are regulars on Swva don’t understand why they hide in the bushes on this forum ?

Most Posters out west post on the Swva football site. Go there and you can find interesting info on teams out west. Some of the posters on this forum are regulars on Swva don’t understand why they hide in the bushes on this forum ?
If you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch ! lol

Reactions: lucustookis
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT