ADVERTISEMENT

MV QB situation

Dec 1, 2015
Magna Vista has always had talented QB's. What I want to know is what is your opinion on the MV QB situation. My self personally I think it is along the lines of the Dallas Cowboys QB situation. You have Greenfield (only a sophomore) that has keep the team going by coming in as a back up and leading them to victories. But you have Perkins (who is a senior) that was the starter coming into the season, and due to injuries which has kept him out for the past couple of games. What would you do, leave the sophomore in that has jelled with the team or do you go back to the senior? I know that Perkins has been your starter since the season started, but I think this situation is like the Cowboys. Romo goes down and Dak leads the team to victories. I think that Dak hands down needs to stay under center, because he has proven that he can lead the team to victories. I know that its the Pro's and you have salaries on the line, but I think you leave the best man on the field until he proves otherwise.

Last edited:
Magna Vista has always had talented QB's. What I want to know is what is your opinion on the MV QB situation. My self personally I think it is along the lines of the Dallas Cowboys QB situation. You have Greenfield (only a sophomore) that has keep the team going by coming in as a back up and leading them to victories. But you have Perkins (who is a senior) that was the starting coming into the season, and due to injuries which has kept him out for the past couple of games. What would you do, leave the sophomore in that has jelled with the team or do you go back to the senior? I know that Perkins has been your starter since the season started, but I think this situation is like the Cowboys. Romo goes down and Dak leads the team to victories. I think that Dak hands down needs to stay under center, because he has proven that he can lead the team to victories. I know that its the Pro's and you have salaries on the line, but I think you leave the best man on the field until he proves otherwise.

Lowrider635...I sit in those stands every game and hear the same chatter as your post. I am for one gonna say that Greenfield is "Tha' Guy" and your analogy is dead on with the Cowboys situation. Best player has to play! I think Greenfield is the best player. Greenfield knows that offense inside and out. Watch his reactions to the read...watch how his face is still looking down field when he is scrambling...watch how if there are no pass options, he picks the correct hole to hit, to gain maximum yardage. That kid scores TD's in less than a minute. He doesn't look his receivers down on play action. His poise for a young man is great! I say you got to go with the player that gives you the best chance to win! Perkins had the offense in the second half against PC and MV only managed 3 points. Not trying to down PC but MV should score bunches on them. The whole team reacts different with Greenfield than Perkins and I'm sure Perkins is a fine young man but I just don't think the QB position suits him as it does Greenfield. Perkins is an athlete and was a pretty good receiver for MV last year in big situations. I would love to see that young man move his talents to the slot or "go route" receiver. I think the sky would be the limit for MV in that offense! But this is just my opinion.

Reactions: LowRider635
I think you got to go with Greenfield. His first full game against Martinsville, he showed he could lead the offense. There were several times in that game the momentum shifted, but nothing seemed to phase him.. If they call a pass play, his eyes are always down field to find an open receiver, even if he has to move out of the pocket. Its crunch time now, playoffs are coming, and you have to go with the guy thats had the most reps. The center, receivers and even how you hand off to the running back have gotten use to how that QB plays. Hes not as fast as Perkins, but it takes more than one tackler to bring him down, I just think that gives you another reason to leave him in. Whoever plays though, I think thats who you have to go with, the 2 QB thing coming in and out I just dont think that gets the job done. It might against your weaker defenses, but not deep in the playoffs. You been handed another 3 year starter might as well get him use to Friday nights in the spotlight.

I left at halftime against pc but I'm sure mv had 2nd and 3rd stringers in with him, could be wrong. As for a 3 year starter I don't think so. Jv qb imo will start for next 3 years. Seen him play several games and he's the real deal. I think we have to have Perkins in because on the qb option he will put so much pressure on the defense when he keeps the ball. Before you know it he got 10-15 yards or a td. He can have a big play anytime he got the ball. Greenfield can't out run or hit corner with that explosion. I just think to win against the tougher teams in playoffs we got to have the ball in Perkins hands, running and passing.

I left at halftime against pc but I'm sure mv had 2nd and 3rd stringers in with him, could be wrong. As for a 3 year starter I don't think so. Jv qb imo will start for next 3 years. Seen him play several games and he's the real deal. I think we have to have Perkins in because on the qb option he will put so much pressure on the defense when he keeps the ball. Before you know it he got 10-15 yards or a td. He can have a big play anytime he got the ball. Greenfield can't out run or hit corner with that explosion. I just think to win against the tougher teams in playoffs we got to have the ball in Perkins hands, running and passing.
I agree with you on the option, but watching him against Byrd on the passing plays it was like he would read one receiver, and then when they weren't open he would tuck and run, but by that time the defense is on him. It was the passing plays that put them behind the chains, he would get happy feet and just eat it, the next thing you know it was 3rd and long. Sometimes I think he might need to scramble a little outside the pocket and throw, but its like his first instinct outside that pocket is to run. I have heard good things about the JV qb, but havnt seen him play yet. I know they have only lost one game this year, which is a big improvement from last year.

Shades...Shaolin wasn't an edge rushing QB but he did well running the spread. The spread needs a QB whom can read what the D gives him. Greenfield is that guy. Perkins has happy feet when the pocket collapses and tries to get out of dodge quick and usually picks the wrong hole to run through. Against William Byrd, MV pulled the left guard on a keeper and allowed the trailing DE to shoot into the backfield. Now a QB that understands what play was called will know there is a trailing defender on his back most likely which means you have to either get to the edge or turn it north in gap and go. The edge was shut down and Perkins tried to reverse field and the DE pounded him. The fans were upset by the play making and were very voiceful for a QB change to the coaching staff. Scales had just gotten hurt before halftime with the rib injury and MV offensively wasn't moving the football at all. Coach called Greenfield ' s # and put #6 Penn in the backfield with him and MV scored in less than a minute with Greenfield. There is a difference in practice field speed and game speed. Greenfield is the best choice. I'm just saying that instead of making it a QB controversy, it needs to be resolved either way because the 2 QB method that Ridge noted above doesn't allow either kid to get comfortable. I do think that Greenfield will be the starter the next couple of seasons. I've seen the JV QB as well. Good kid but doesn't have the arm strength Greenfield does.

I understand the Byrd game he must've had a bad game I couldn't make it, but nobody was saying anything after the JF game. For example last year at Phoebus, there corners were playing tight on receivers, most of our yardage came when McGuire tucked and ran the entire 1sr half and a lot on 3 down. Against Bassett greenfield didn't set his feet but one time , he threw ball up for grabs several times. Byrd is the best team they've played all year, he had one bad game and the crowd is hollering for qb change that's tuff. Glad I'm not the coach. I do agree with you that if greenfield is qb Perkins has to be receiver, tall and fast.

I remember last year at GW half of our crowd was hollering at Faverro at halftime telling him he needs to be fired, It drove me freaking nuts, one guy actually went down to fence as coach was walking to bus cussing and hollering. All this after we just won our 1st state title. We got a small percentage of idiots as fans. With all that said I fully trust in our coach and I know he will do what's best for this years team and put the right people in the right position.

I remember last year at GW half of our crowd was hollering at Faverro at halftime telling him he needs to be fired, It drove me freaking nuts, one guy actually went down to fence as coach was walking to bus cussing and hollering. All this after we just won our 1st state title. We got a small percentage of idiots as fans. With all that said I fully trust in our coach and I know he will do what's best for this years team and put the right people in the right position.
Thats stupid about the fan at GW. That game was lost on turnovers, penalties, and just missed opportunities. Favero didnt have anything to do with that. Yea, not all fans know what they are talking about

Reactions: ShadesMcgrades

You are correct Shades! Favero has brought something to our school that we have never tasted in state title glory in football! That coupled with the addition of Defensive Coordinator Joe Fielder have been great for MV! Coach will do what's best for the program. I do think we have a great coaching staff that truly understand game management. Favero and Fielder are a great combination on that field. I love how intense Fielder is on the field. Man those kids on the defensive side really look up to him (or down cause he can't be much more than 5 ft tall) but he has been great for MV!

Reactions: ShadesMcgrades
All year I've been saying we may win 2 playoff games. I still think that's true. Any word on #13 injury?

I'm hearing that it is an ACL injury that right now appears to be no tear just a strain. But hear he may be out still the rest of the season. A buddy has told me that he saw on the young man's face book or twitter account him saying that it is a grade 2 MCL strain and he'll be back maybe by playoffs or first game of playoffs. This I'm sure is gonna be a week to week issue.

Shades the thing you said about the fan at the GW is absolutely true. If MV is winning everything is all good. The minute MV is down or loses a game, it's because of Favero. Stuff like that irritates me. Favero is one of the best things that gas ever happened to MV. He is a players coach. I think some MV fans are there every Friday night hoping Favero's team loses so they can post deragatory comments on Facebook or Preps. Fans need to realize that the team needs support through good games and bad games. If this happens MV will be just fine. With fans like Shades and Ridge, MV will always have the BEST.

Thanks mv4ever. Y'all prob new this already but just wanted to mention MV is building a new weight room that I'm pretty sure will be added on to old one, 1800 sq ft I think.

Lowrider635...I sit in those stands every game and hear the same chatter as your post. I am for one gonna say that Greenfield is "Tha' Guy" and your analogy is dead on with the Cowboys situation. Best player has to play! I think Greenfield is the best player. Greenfield knows that offense inside and out. Watch his reactions to the read...watch how his face is still looking down field when he is scrambling...watch how if there are no pass options, he picks the correct hole to hit, to gain maximum yardage. That kid scores TD's in less than a minute. He doesn't look his receivers down on play action. His poise for a young man is great! I say you got to go with the player that gives you the best chance to win! Perkins had the offense in the second half against PC and MV only managed 3 points. Not trying to down PC but MV should score bunches on them. The whole team reacts different with Greenfield than Perkins and I'm sure Perkins is a fine young man but I just don't think the QB position suits him as it does Greenfield. Perkins is an athlete and was a pretty good receiver for MV last year in big situations. I would love to see that young man move his talents to the slot or "go route" receiver. I think the sky would be the limit for MV in that offense! But this is just my opinion.
My thoughts exactly!! Perkins could add a lot of depth to the receiving core that MV currently has, and if Greenfield gets into trouble then Perkins can come in and relieve him.

You have to respect experience in big games. However, I wonder how the M. Vista kids will react when things get tough. Last year against Brookville things nearly got out of hand. Will frustration boil over if they go down a couple scores?

I agree with you on the option, but watching him against Byrd on the passing plays it was like he would read one receiver, and then when they weren't open he would tuck and run, but by that time the defense is on him. It was the passing plays that put them behind the chains, he would get happy feet and just eat it, the next thing you know it was 3rd and long. Sometimes I think he might need to scramble a little outside the pocket and throw, but its like his first instinct outside that pocket is to run. I have heard good things about the JV qb, but havnt seen him play yet. I know they have only lost one game this year, which is a big improvement from last year.
I totally agree! Hands down Perkins is the better passer and runner of the 2. But when he only reads 1 receiver and then tucks and runs is putting him to get reinjured. I like the way Greenfield reads the entire field and makes decisions, even though he is not as fast or passes better he still puts you in good situations. I want the best for both QB's but Perkins seems to get hurt a lot when he tends to run out of the pocket.

I totally agree! Hands down Perkins is the better passer and runner of the 2. But when he only reads 1 receiver and then tucks and runs is putting him to get reinjured. I like the way Greenfield reads the entire field and makes decisions, even though he is not as fast or passes better he still puts you in good situations. I want the best for both QB's but Perkins seems to get hurt a lot when he tends to run out of the pocket.

Very few high school QBs can read the entire field.

Shades the thing you said about the fan at the GW is absolutely true. If MV is winning everything is all good. The minute MV is down or loses a game, it's because of Favero. Stuff like that irritates me. Favero is one of the best things that gas ever happened to MV. He is a players coach. I think some MV fans are there every Friday night hoping Favero's team loses so they can post deragatory comments on Facebook or Preps. Fans need to realize that the team needs support through good games and bad games. If this happens MV will be just fine. With fans like Shades and Ridge, MV will always have the BEST.
Agreed! A lot of fans are only commenting on what they see when they loose. These coaches put in a lot of time with very little pay for what the have to deal with. If your not in there shoes you should not make false judgment on them. I have coached on the rec and middle school levels and until you have to deal with those kids day in and day out you have no idea. You will always have to deal with parents and negative fans speaking there minds which shouldn't be part of your job title. Those kids feed off the fans more than you believe....

You got that right, some fans are idiots and that the coaches will make the right decision for the team. They are the ones that are with them day in and day out and know those kids a lot more that what we see them do on Friday nights.

I think Perkins will still be a Vital Part to the offense and a 2 QB system isn't so bad in my opinion especially if the opposing defenses are great on the perimeter when it comes the pass. Spread teams pass the ball but has anyone forgotten last years playoff games when Tra Redd had to come in at QB because Shiaolin got hurt against Bassett. Magna Vista offense was a bettter RUNNING team with trying to contain Jaq at RB and Tra at QB.. Magna Vista didn't lose a beat. So when playoffs came and teams played great pass defense and keyed on Jaq, well at least slowed him down, Coach put Tra back in at QB and just ran the ball and defenses had to try to stop tra and jaq which wasn't going to happen. I think MV will need Perkins at QB if the basic spread is not moving the ball or if teams are well prepared for the pass. You can slow play Greenfiled on the edge because he's not so fast just yet but if Perkins hits that corner it's show time. Once teams start putting more people back in the box trying to slow the run down, you put Greenfield back in the game to keep doing what he's been doing and that's making plays.

I think Perkins will still be a Vital Part to the offense and a 2 QB system isn't so bad in my opinion especially if the opposing defenses are great on the perimeter when it comes the pass. Spread teams pass the ball but has anyone forgotten last years playoff games when Tra Redd had to come in at QB because Shiaolin got hurt against Bassett. Magna Vista offense was a bettter RUNNING team with trying to contain Jaq at RB and Tra at QB.. Magna Vista didn't lose a beat. So when playoffs came and teams played great pass defense and keyed on Jaq, well at least slowed him down, Coach put Tra back in at QB and just ran the ball and defenses had to try to stop tra and jaq which wasn't going to happen. I think MV will need Perkins at QB if the basic spread is not moving the ball or if teams are well prepared for the pass. You can slow play Greenfiled on the edge because he's not so fast just yet but if Perkins hits that corner it's show time. Once teams start putting more people back in the box trying to slow the run down, you put Greenfield back in the game to keep doing what he's been doing and that's making plays.
That is a valid point. We as spectators seems to think like this a lot of times and wanting to change the plan up with using both QB's. But do you really think that will happen? MV has some athletes on the field this year, but as for the MV teams of the past 2 years were amazing on offense and defense! I have coached and watched those kids since they were in the 6th grade and I don't think teams will face another MV team like that for a long time. I am still puzzled to which way they will go at QB going into the playoffs

Only time will tell..I am a person who looks at the cup half full instead of half empty, so The best thing that comes from this is knowing that Magna Vista has not one but 2 quarterbacks that they can choose from VS some teams that if one man goes down then their season turns drastically.. That's a blessing to have in Ridgeway.

Perkins out for rest of year. Will have surgery is what I've heard. Feel terrible for him because he may miss bb also and of course a senior.

Perkins out for rest of year. Will have surgery is what I've heard. Feel terrible for him because he may miss bb also and of course a senior.
That sucks! I didnt see him get injured friday, but i seen him sitting on the table for a long time. Kinda knew it wasnt good.

You Mean T'Mahde Penn who wore #5, not Redd. In my opinion, the 2014 receiving core for Magna Vista was the best in School History with 3 out of the 5 receivers ranged from 6'3-6'5 in height. This years receiving core is good but not 2014. I saw Penn make plays in 2014 that I've only saw NFL players make and that's no lie. Ramey was a finesse and possession receiver like Larry Fitzgerald of the Cardinals who made the plays that supposed to be made, Ro Gravely was like Julio Jones who made plays because he was a freak of nature, could jump and go get it, break tackles, and score. Clark was a receiver like Edelman of the Patriots, small but gets it done, and the best blocker of that team was 5'8 receiver Xavier Savannah, he made ALL the blocks that was supposed to been made, didn't really get recognition but to the Magna Vista fans who watched that 2014 title run knew that Savannah was very Vital to the run game because he wasn't selfish and he made catches when needed but blocked great especially for his size. This year receiving core again is good again.

You are correct. That 2014 receiving corp was massive in size, then had Mcguire who was just as tall. They also won beast of the hill at UNC against the best competition in the state that year. MV does have some good receivers this year though, they do make plays. Just this past Friday Triston Dillard made an awesome catch over a defender to score. They definitely make MV a run and pass spread offense which is hard to defend.

Greenfield is your QB of the future. He beat GW Danville, so IMHO; he's good enough to lead MV in the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT