ADVERTISEMENT

My 4A rankings so far...

Hey DSH, you didn't happen to know that poor young lady that lost her life over the weekend, did you? My heart and prayers go out to her family and friends.
No sir I didn't know her but I saw her at the freshmen convocation. Very sad. You hate to hear any kind of tragedies like this happen and especially when it's one of your own. A lot of prayers have been sent up for her family from everyone this week as I can't imagine the pain and grief in which they're feeling.

What was reported? Must have missed it?
Not from you but "This will not be a game......Oliver will run up the score........"jailbreak" blitz all night........Cyclones will be back on the bus before they even know the number of the truck that just ran them over or what side of the helmet they're looking through"

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
This years Sherando team is not near as physical as many in the past. They are still learning what physical is. Maybe more physical than other teams, but still have a long way to go.
Yeah, keep in mind EV has played Spotsy, Orange, and Chancellor so far.

Reactions: hamspear
Not from you but "This will not be a game......Oliver will run up the score........"jailbreak" blitz all night........Cyclones will be back on the bus before they even know the number of the truck that just ran them over or what side of the helmet they're looking through"
I know it is hard to sit back when your team is not getting the respect they deserve. But EV is a good team. Hatfield has done a great job of building a program from the ground up. The community is behind the team. The respect will come...just give it a little time.

I know it is hard to sit back when your team is not getting the respect they deserve. But EV is a good team. Hatfield has done a great job of building a program from the ground up. The community is behind the team. The respect will come...just give it a little time.
Oh I'm not stressing....just think some of the characters on here don't have a clue....story changes week to week.

When you quote someone , you should at least say who said it

Reactions: OCBoy
Yeah, keep in mind EV has played Spotsy, Orange, and Chancellor so far.
But up until last week I was under the impression that Chancellor was loaded and this was going to be there year. I saw the film of the game last week, I will have to watch those more often when some people on here are describing state " quality " teams.

I don't want anyone at EV to think that Sherando does not respect them. Hatfield and Hall have long standing good relationship. Up until that last two years we have scrimmaged EV every year almost since they opened. Sherando is a young solid team and will fortunate to be in the game at EV in Friday. I don't know why EV shouldn't be respected they are solid ,well coached , and have won some big games. I hope for a great game.

Lol,
I just want to make sure I got this going in.. If EV beats Sherando, does that tell us that EV is for real, or will it be one those, Sherando isn't all that good and the win doesn't mean that much. Or Visa Versa.. I see Louisa up there on some peoples top ten, I assume that is due to the win over Sherando. Ok the path is clear, beat Sherando and they will recognize!!
a lot of teams could beat Sherando this year, if you beat Sherando though you are definitely a quality team and have beaten a solid program. Louisa is a very good team this year, very good run game.

But up until last week I was under the impression that Chancellor was loaded and this was going to be there year. I saw the film of the game last week, I will have to watch those more often when some people on here are describing state " quality " teams.
What are your thoughts on Chancellor?

Please...do tell....what does it take....other than being damn good?
Here's what it takes in My Opinion in 4A to at least get to the State game.
1. Your team better have at least 3-4 special players on both sides of the ball. Two or three of those special players better be the QB , running back, and or wide reciever. special means legit D-1 , D-2 players.
2. Extremely well coached.
3. And unusual amount of team speed. At least 4 or 5 guys sub 4.6 legit times.
4. A very good Offensive line, doesn't have to be huge because huge can also be slow. But strong and quick.
5. You absolutely cannot be one dimensional ( all run or all pass), ten or fifteen years ago you could have gotten away with this , but not now.
6. You have to have heart, a strong desire to not be denied.
7. Your WR and skill positions have to be able to block, not just catch a pass.
8. Be able to play disciplined assignment defense. The main reason Salem is always very good in my opinion.
9. You can have lot of some of these , and a little of others to be successful.
10. LUCK ( when preparation meets opportunity)
You probably know these things 86Culp, you don't need me to tell you.

In my opinion both these teams have some of these things, but not enough to go all the way. Hope they prove me wrong. Please don't anyone take offense, all these teams you all are speaking of EV, Louisa , Sherando , Chancellor etc... Are great programs, just not State caliber programs in my opinion.
Woodgrove has the QB, they are the best team in the North right now I would say. But it can always change. Lots of games to be played.

Under luck has to be staying reasonably healthy all season.

And I think I. Would add #11. Decent and dependable special teams, especially special teams coverage.

I think that was a great summary of criteria, Hammy!

Here is a novel idea...let every team play a five game schedule. YOU evaluate those games and then YOU let the VHSL know which teams have what it takes to get to the "state game". They would then play single elimination until YOU crown the last team standing!
Actually, that would work pretty well. Hammie would not be prejudice. There may be choices people don't like but it would be very fair.

For EV, it's true. They must prove they can beat a physical team to get to the top echelon. No disrespect but it is what it is. They ALWAYS lose to a physical team. Which is why I'm still so surprised they beat Chancellor. But it happened. It may be a different year. We'll see. GL to the Cyclones.

What are your thoughts on Chancellor?
Very athletic at the skills , QB throws a good ball. Good speed on the edge. I am not going to say anything bad about a team on here. We all have issues with our teams and know our weaknesses. If your asking if Louisa played Chancellor, pure speculation, I would go Louisa because of that big QB is a tank. I think it is easier to stop a good pass game , then a good run game at the high school level. Not sure if Chancellor would have that on the D line to stop Louisa. But Chancellor seems to be a big play team so they could score quickly if mistakes are made in coverage. The only team that is going to beat Louisa is going to have to be big and strong up front on the D line, and be able to hold their ground at the point of attack. Very physical team. If a team forces you guys to pass , then they might have a opportunity to win, but I doubt you all see a team till the playoffs that will be able to do that. Good luck.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Very athletic at the skills , QB throws a good ball. Good speed on the edge. I am not going to say anything bad about a team on here. We all have issues with our teams and know our weaknesses. If your asking if Louisa played Chancellor, pure speculation, I would go Louisa because of that big QB is a tank. I think it is easier to stop a good pass game , then a good run game at the high school level. Not sure if Chancellor would have that on the D line to stop Louisa. But Chancellor seems to be a big play team so they could score quickly if mistakes are made in coverage. The only team that is going to beat Louisa is going to have to be big and strong up front on the D line, and be able to hold their ground at the point of attack. Very physical team. If a team forces you guys to pass , then they might have a opportunity to win, but I doubt you all see a team till the playoffs that will be able to do that. Good luck.
You have it all here. Chancellor has some players but essentially, if you throw the ball in the general vicinity, the Chargers will catch it. They will score points. But I still have to see the film on this game with EV. Too many things I cannot fathom yet.

For Louisa, they just need to pound the rock. Put 11 in the box. Stop them for a bit but they cannot be stopped. When the run to the playoffs comes, the only way to beat the Lions will be to out score them. Very possible but you'll have to take a major beat in reciprocation. The Lion offense is major this season. They can run on anyone on pure power alone. It's the defense that will ultimately define how far they go.

Just purely wanted your opinion of Chancellor, didn't have to mention Louisa. I'm just glad this board finally has a really good thread going.

Reactions: Tom Potter
Hamspear.your ten points are spot on. Most of the teams have played 2-3 games, so the jury is still out on contenders, but its fun to speculate.

Culpeper, you made some sound points, but to be honest, most of regular posters favor the teams with tradition and proven success in the playoffs. There is usually no intent to discredit or belittle any team; however, getting to a regional final or state final gets peoples attention.

Personally, I have read of EV's growth each year and they just may be on the cusp of doing something special. Beating a young Sherando team may not seem to be a big deal to you, but to some of us two straight big wins will show they can contend down the road.

I also agree that Louisa has the personnel to go very deep in the playoffs. Just as Hanover proved last season you can be successful pounding the ball down someones throat. I am not insinuating anything, but I told DP yesterday thay Louisa's size would create a tough match up for my Generals if the two played this season. Surely, a contrast in styles for sure.

In closing, let me say I miss Devils and his 757 insight. Like it or not (i liked it) he did not back down from promoting his team and the far east. Too quiet down there. Who is going to come out of the 757 in the East Final Four? Lafeyette, LT, Heritage NN or Kings Fork?

1. Your team better have at least 3-4 special players on both sides of the ball. Two or three of those special players better be the QB , running back, and or wide reciever. special means legit D-1 , D-2 players.
4. A very good Offensive line, doesn't have to be huge because huge can also be slow. But strong and quick.
5. You absolutely cannot be one dimensional ( all run or all pass), ten or fifteen years ago you could have gotten away with this , but not now.
8. Be able to play disciplined assignment defense. The main reason Salem is always very good in my opinion.

In my opinion both these teams have some of these things, but not enough to go all the way. Hope they prove me wrong. Please don't anyone take offense, all these teams you all are speaking of EV, Louisa , Sherando , Chancellor etc... Are great programs, just not State caliber programs in my opinion.
Woodgrove has the QB, they are the best team in the North right now I would say. But it can always change. Lots of games to be played.

Great post here. As far as EV goes, I am not saying they are state title contenders. We are still taking it one year at a time. I think they are very good and right now a top 10 team. But top 10 doesn't get you to the state game.

You have it all here. Chancellor has some players but essentially, if you throw the ball in the general vicinity, the Chargers will catch it. They will score points. But I still have to see the film on this game with EV. Too many things I cannot fathom yet.

For Louisa, they just need to pound the rock. Put 11 in the box. Stop them for a bit but they cannot be stopped. When the run to the playoffs comes, the only way to beat the Lions will be to out score them. Very possible but you'll have to take a major beat in reciprocation. The Lion offense is major this season. They can run on anyone on pure power alone. It's the defense that will ultimately define how far they go.
Chancellor tried chucking it up for grabs against EV and it didn't work...had a few picks. The early TD should have been a pick also...just a (young) mistake made by the DB. I thought they would have been more successful by using that running back more and the QB running the ball, but they were getting banged up and were also cramping up.

Great post here. As far as EV goes, I am not saying they are state title contenders. We are still taking it one year at a time. I think they are very good and right now a top 10 team. But top 10 doesn't get you to the state game.
True that.....but I don't believe EV ALWAYS loses to a physical team...that's just bull-crap. They've gotten beat by better teams...no doubt. You know very well EVcyc how physical this team is...and has been the last few years. Doesn't mean they don't make mistakes.

Reactions: one man
True that.....but I don't believe EV ALWAYS loses to a physical team...that's just bull-crap. They've gotten beat by better teams...no doubt. You know very well EVcyc how physical this team is...and has been the last few years. Doesn't mean they don't make mistakes.
The physical thing has been said for years. This team is pretty physical. To be honest, physical play typically comes with size and strength.. the weight room work has been better and better every year. I look forward to seeing the O line play against Sherando.

That's right.....I remember the EV line's until a couple years ago were very small. Finally the size has shown up

When you quote someone , you should at least say who said it
Shocker, it was shauntclair.
No. No. This one is a drubbing and EV will not be on the happy end. Chargers have been on the wrong end with these guys for several years and very frustratingly so. not this season.

This will not be a game. This is a "vendetta". Oliver will run up the score as high as he can and "jailbreak" blitz all night. Welcome to the Battlefield where nobody likes you. Cyclones will be back on the bus before they even know the number of the truck that just ran them over or what side of the helmet they're looking through.

No disrespect. I think EV is a fine team and well Coached. They have built a consistent program. Every kudo for that. It's what every school should strive for. It would not be the first time they have beaten the Chargers. But a buzz saw awaits on Friday. That's just the way it is this year.

Shocker, it was shauntclair.
Did you also quote the post game where I said I was 100% wrong on this.

This should have been a blow out. If they played again next week, I would say blow out for Chancellor again.

But I've seen no film and cannot evaluate. I don't know if EV is that good or Chancellor played that poorly. My instinct says, Chancellor had a big let down. The result of the game reiterates that I can be wrong......again.

Does any of this change what I think of the Lions this year?

Last edited:
If you've seen no film and cannot evaluate, why would you make such outrageous statements in the first place? You do it all the time. Maybe Chancellor just isn't as good as you think, and maybe Massaponax's pass defense was bad. EV's defense is good enough to not get blown out by anyone this season, so that's just another ridiculous statement about Chancellor blowing them out if they played again.

Last edited:
If you've seen no film and cannot evaluate, why would you make such outrageous statements in the first place? You do it all the time. Maybe Chancellor just isn't as good as you think, and maybe Massaponax's pass defense was bad. EV's defense is good enough to not get blown out by anyone this season, so that's just another ridiculous statement about Chancellor blowing them out if they played again.
I seen Chancellor play Massaponax and they definitely are a better team then the team that was beat by EV. EV just had their number last Friday and wanted it more. They gave Chancellor several chances to win it and they failed to do so. Yes Chancellor has defensive issues but that offense can score on any team. They can and could upset a team come playoff time.

I was not impressed with Chancellor's passing game. The QB is a heck of an athlete...near impossible to sack even though EV was in the backfield with him a lot. I was more impressed with the QB's running ability and the RB they have....very quick.

I did see the entire Chancellor/Ponax game. I cannot properly evaluate what happened Friday because I have not Seen the EV/Charger game yet. but history says 100% no to EV when it comes to physical play.

Now this interaction is not unusual for me. It happens more than I would like. But here's the bottom line. You can attack me all you want but there is not a moment in the rest of your life where you will be smarter, more athletic or successful than me. And I am a 62 year old alcoholic. You'll just have to learn to live with that. God is great but he can also be cruel. It is my curse. Trust me, you're not on the cruel end.

I did see the entire Chancellor/Ponax game. I cannot properly evaluate what happened Friday because I have not Seen the EV/Charger game yet. but history says 100% no to EV when it comes to physical play.

Now this interaction is not unusual for me. It happens more than I would like. But here's the bottom line. You can attack me all you want but there is not a moment in the rest of your life where you will be smarter, more athletic or successful than me. And I am a 62 year old alcoholic. You'll just have to learn to live with that. God is great but he can also be cruel. It is my curse. Trust me, you're not on the cruel end.
You guys need to relax, it's high school football. Supposed to be fun. Keep on drinking away Shauntclair, although I do wish you better health it is very hilarious some of your posts. EV is more Physical this year though, let's just let them have that , huh?

Yeah I was just sitting here thinking that the original post by OCBoy "My 4A rankings so far...." has been hijacked!!

Last edited:
To get it back on track, what are some teams that none of us have included in our rankings and aren't ranked by VP but could sneak into the top 10 by the end of the regular season? I say Dominion and Powhatan. If Dominion can pull off a win against Woodgrove, that'll get them on people's radar quickly. Millbrook could be another.

I was not impressed with Chancellor's passing game. The QB is a heck of an athlete...near impossible to sack even though EV was in the backfield with him a lot. I was more impressed with the QB's running ability and the RB they have....very quick.
I agree Armstead the transfer from Riverbend had slot of nice runs. I don't know why chancellor went away from giving him the ball and running brown more. Every time they did get the ball they got chunks of yardage

Yeah I was just sitting here thinking that the original post by OCBoy "My 4A rankings so far...." has been hijacked!!
No I kinda actually knew this would happen. I figured we needed to fire up the 4A board and get a good thread going

To get it back on track, what are some teams that none of us have included in our rankings and aren't ranked by VP but could sneak into the top 10 by the end of the regular season? I say Dominion and Powhatan. If Dominion can pull off a win against Woodgrove, that'll get them on people's radar quickly. Millbrook could be another.
What about Charlottesville? What is up with them? Maybe one man can answer this.

I wanted to say Charlottesville, but already knew there would be backlash, plus they lost to Dominion (although C'ville not being able to practice in pads and having to do it in the gym most of that week due to strict heat rules would have a lot to do with why they lost).

I wanted to say Charlottesville, but already knew there would be backlash, plus they lost to Dominion (although C'ville not being able to practice in pads and having to do it in the gym most of that week due to strict heat rules would have a lot to do with why they lost).
Idc about backlash on here I'll say it... Other then Millbrook I thought of Charlottesville

What about Charlottesville? What is up with them? Maybe one man can answer this.

Been a little while and I try to respond when I see my handle.

We are working everyday. Trying to go 1-0 every week, William Monroe this week.

Dominion has a few special players. They are strong, athletic and very well coached. They outgained us 256-238. We had 7 fumbles(3 lost), 1 INT (Returned for 6) and botched two punt snaps, inside our own 25, that didn't get back to the LOS. Cleaned it up to the tune of 2 INTs (1 on tipped pass and other on hail mary at end of 1st half) and 0 fumbles against Harrisonburg. If Dominon & Hburg beat Woodgrove and Bville this week, they could both run the table IMO. Both should be in the playoff mix but they've both got tall orders this week. For points purposes, we are certainly rooting for both of them to run the table.

Like everyone else, we still have a lot of work to do. If we can take care of the football and tackle well on defense, I'm confident we'll have a successful season. Good Luck to all your teams this week guys and gals.

You can attack me all you want but there is not a moment in the rest of your life where you will be smarter, more athletic or successful than me. And I am a 62 year old alcoholic. You'll just have to learn to live with that. God is great but he can also be cruel. It is my curse. Trust me, you're not on the cruel end.
LOL!

ADVERTISEMENT