ADVERTISEMENT

My allegiance may expand.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Our daughter and her husband are considering a move to Galax. In fact they have interviewed at the hospital, and moving is contegient upon them accepting jobs their. They are looking at houses as we speak. So I guess I may be paying more attention to the 1a board in the fortune!

Any comments good or bad about the area, or the hospital? Isn't the school reigning 1a champs?

I can't figure out how to edit the header from an iPad. Need to change my to may. Help!

Our daughter and her husband are considering a move to Galax. In fact they have interviewed at the hospital, and moving is contegient upon them accepting jobs their. They are looking at houses as we speak. So I guess I may be paying more attention to the 1a board in the fortune!

Any comments good or bad about the area, or the hospital? Isn't the school reigning 1a champs?

I can't figure out how to edit the header from an iPad. Need to change my to may. Help!
Yes they are defending state champs....after starting 1-4 on the season. I wonder how often that has happened....worst record to win a state title.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Look at the schedule they played last year almost every team was a playoff contender

For the person that starts the thread there is an edit feature for the title as well as individual posts within the thread.

For the person that starts the thread there is an edit feature for the title as well as individual posts within the thread.
How do you get to that feature?

Never mind Mike, I found it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes they are defending state champs....after starting 1-4 on the season. I wonder how often that has happened....worst record to win a state title.

I believe there's been 5-6 4 loss state title teams in the modern era. I know Salem did it in 2000 and I seem to recall some 1A-2A teams doing it as well the names just escape me. I wish I could remember where I read all this from but it was a great link and had the records for all the state champs going back like 30 years.

I believe there's been 5-6 4 loss state title teams in the modern era. I know Salem did it in 2000 and I seem to recall some 1A-2A teams doing it as well the names just escape me. I wish I could remember where I read all this from but it was a great link and had the records for all the state champs going back like 30 years.
We will find that link. The brain trust on this board loves a challenge. I'm hoping VHSL helper of Guillams will help us out with that info.

DP I've been to Galax a couple of times. It's a nice little quiet town. Probably 12-15 minutes from Hillsville, 35 from Wytheville, and an hour from Winston Salem/Wake Forest University. Mount Airy, NC or Mayberry is a nice place that's probably a 35 minute drive down the mountain. A lot of festivals and bands come through MT. Airy. I do know that Aunt Bea's BBQ is a big thing in the area and Galax is not too far from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Reactions: mmqp
Yeah, they went to Winston Salem last night for supper. They like the fact that, day to day, it's small town living, but they can drive an hour and enjoy all that a bigger city like W/S has to offer.

They ate at "The Honey Pot" last night. Strange name, but I hear they go to extremes to use locally produced food.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Yeah, they went to Winston Salem last night for supper. They like the fact that, day to day, it's small town living, but they can drive an hour and enjoy all that a bigger city like W/S has to offer.

They ate at "The Honey Pot" last night. Strange name, but I hear they go to extremes to use locally produced food.
I've always been a fan of the mountains opposed to the beach area. That's why I like the Richmond/Fredericksburg/NoVA area. A lot to do and 45 min to an hour drive to the hills.

Mabry Mill on the parkway is not far away. Also Lovers Leap Overlook on Rt. 58 is one of the best views anywhere. Roanoke-Salem is not far away either. A couple of really nice golf courses in Meadows of Dan. Really just a nice area.

They just called to tell me the owner of the house they want to buy accepted their offer. Now they just have to work through the process of buying a house. Of course, they need to officially get hired at the hospital first. Dear old dad ain't buying them a house!

So, unless something changes, I guess I will be getting a chance to slip out that way and meet a few more of you personally. I'm really looking forward to that.

By the way guys, thanks for sharing your knowledge of the area. I would love to hear more.

DP , first you run off your own blood and make them move away, and then you won't even buy them a house!? All that money you got!

Hammy, she makes more than my wife and I combined. Then add his salary and military retirement..., and yes, somebody ought to be buying somebody a house. Besides, you are confusing me with Navy.

Reactions: hamspear

2002 Liberty-Bedford, Division 3 state champs with 10-4 record. (6-4 regular season).

Losses
3A Appo 28-23 (5-5, fluke loss)
4A JF 14-13 (6-4 rival game)
4A Northside 14-7 (10-0 regular season)
4A Heritage-Lynchburg 26-13 (14-0 D4 state champs)

Playoff wins
51-19 Nelson Co (6-4)
41-34 Gretna (9-2)
37-8 Grundy (10-2)
41-6 New Kent (11-2)

2002 Liberty-Bedford, Division 3 state champs with 10-4 record. (6-4 regular season).

Losses
3A Appo 28-23 (5-5, fluke loss)
4A JF 14-13 (6-4 rival game)
4A Northside 14-7 (10-0 regular season)
4A Heritage-Lynchburg 26-13 (14-0 D4 state champs)

Playoff wins
51-19 Nelson Co (6-4)
41-34 Gretna (9-2)
37-8 Grundy (10-2)
41-6 New Kent (11-2)
OneMan what ever happened to the Spinner boys? I vaguely remember the Gretna game that year, which was Vic Hall's sophomore year. Very very cold that night, but Liberty Bedford was very good. Didn't know you guys lost 4 games that year.

By the way guys, thanks for sharing your knowledge of the area. I would love to hear more.

The 1A/2A boards here are quite active, probably moreso than 4A, they love their football in SWVA. Also check out swvasports.com which is another focused board for that area of the state and almost entirely about 1A/2A stuff.

well when you've got, like, 40 of em, and only Abingdon higher than 2A, that makes it easy.

6A is the only one that's never had a champ with more than 2 losses.

Had a couple of 5 loss teams down here back in the late 80's, the back-to-back Bulldogs of Appalachia and Jonesville - neither exist today. One of those years, Blacksburg won it with 4 losses - 1A-4A champs were all from the SW that year.(Reg. 4 & D)

Never been to Galax & only been in Grayson Co. for about 5 minutes about 20 years ago..
Sportswriter down there told me last year that The Smokehouse was THE place to eat if I came down for the Hurley game.
To the east, Hillsville has an awesome Labor Day weekend flea market, and over in Stuart, they have a weekend beach music festival the same time as the Spring Fling (it's nothing like it was back in the 80s, though)
To the west is Damascus, a popular spot on the AT, and Abingdon, home of the Barter Theater.
And Mt. Airy isn't just close-by, their football team is pretty much always a state contender.
Of course, Galax hosts the Fiddlers Convention in early-mid August.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Do they still have the Fiddler's convention there? If not Floydfest is nearby. Someone mentioned golf. Nearest best course for the money Old Mill , eastern side of Hills ville. Spectacular course, reasonable cost. Primland also nearby. Awesome course $200.

I may be misremembering, but years ago when Halifax won the state championship I think they went 0-10 the next year. I know for sure they have never won a playoff game since that title.

DP I've been to Galax a couple of times. It's a nice little quiet town. Probably 12-15 minutes from Hillsville, 35 from Wytheville, and an hour from Winston Salem/Wake Forest University. Mount Airy, NC or Mayberry is a nice place that's probably a 35 minute drive down the mountain. A lot of festivals and bands come through MT. Airy. I do know that Aunt Bea's BBQ is a big thing in the area and Galax is not too far from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Aunt Bea's is awesome!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT