ADVERTISEMENT

My Top 10 Games to Watch in Class 4

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
With the season only 6 weeks away, I decided to try and put together a list. I tended to leave off district games, and these do include games between Class 4 schools and other classes. Again, there are tons of games that I left out of this list (Sherando and Eastern View fans, take it as a compliment because I think y'all will take care of business this year in the regular season to say the least).

Honorable Mention:
King's Fork @ Oscar Smith
Hopewell @ Dinwiddie
Millbrook @ Sherando
Amherst @ GW Danville

10. EC Glass @ Charlottesville (Week 1)
This game will be a good tell for 4D, we'll get to see what Glass is made of and if Charlottesville will be relevant in the region. Glass already plays in a district with three other 4D teams (LCA, Amherst, Jefferson Forest) so they will have plenty of experience with at least some of the playoff playing field once November comes around. This is Charlottesville's only game with a fellow 4D opponent, and it will probably show if Cville can be a legit playoff contender or not. Plus, it'll be a crazy opening game in Week 1, I'm not sure what our school spirit theme will be for that night yet, but whatever it is I'll be all out.

9. Woodgrove @ Broad Run (Week 3)
Woodgrove will have plenty of chances to show their mettle with their tough schedule this year, but this one sticks out the most to me. It will be their third straight away game and their third game of the season, and in week 4 they return home to face Tuscarora. Even if Woodgrove doesn't win either of these games, if they are able to be competitive, I think they could be a real threat to come out of Region 4C. I have a feeing we'll have a none or one loss Sherando take on maybe even a three or four loss Woodgrove in the region final, and those games against tough opponents for the Wolverines could give them the boost they need to make the next step.

8. Blacksburg @ Salem (Week 5)
Salem showed last year that a team can become entirely different when the playoffs come around. In fact, if this game was not played in the regular season last year, I believe Blacksburg would have won the playoff game. It's a game between two football powerhouses in the west, and will again be a huge tell in 4D. Will Salem reload as well as usual? Will Blacksburg still be a contender? And we very well may see another matchup of these two come playoff time again.

7. Louisa County @ Courtland (Week 1)
Week 1 match-ups are so far from the playoffs that they could mean absolutely nothing if the same teams play again in November. However, like Cville/Glass, this game stands out to me. How will new look Louisa look with Hunter at QB? Will Courtland be able to be a factor in 4B after graduating a big chunk of their roster? After two losses to Louisa last year, the Cougars are hungry to get a piece of them on their home field.

6. Dinwiddie @ Smithfield (Week 2)
A Region 4A vs 4B game that will tell a lot about both of these teams. Who doesn't like a rematch anyway? Dinwiddie hits the road for the second straight week and we'll be able to see if their regular-season dominance will continue. 4A is going to be a crazy good region, and a win for Smithfield at home would definitely boost their caliber and playoff chances.

5. Monacan @ Manchester (Week 4)
This game was big for Monacan last year, those Class 6 points are really attractive. Region 4B was the most stacked region by far last year, and for Monacan to be a contender they're going to have to prove it in their district schedule, and winning at a Class 6 school like they did last year would probably help them get home field come playoff time.

4. GW Danville @ Jefferson Forest (Week 3)
Another huge 4D game that is not a regular-season Seminole District game. Danville, with their subpar district, gets a chance like last year to show what they're made of in the first 3 weeks of the season against three teams that made the 4D playoffs last year. This one is the biggest one in my opinion, however. Jefferson Forest knows they'll be lucky to make it out of the Seminole with maybe three losses, and it would be a major boost for them to take out one of the best teams in the region. If Danville wants to take the next step in the playoffs this year they need to have good showings on their tough OOD schedule, and this road trip to Forest is probably the most pivotal.

3. Deep Creek @ King's Fork (Week 10)
Obviously the Oscar Smith game for both of these teams is huge, but this Region 4A matchup will have major playoff implications. Lake Taylor was a bit of a wild card last season, but as usual, they should reload and be a major force next year. The other teams in the region will have to sort themselves out, and I think the 4A playoffs will be insane this year. This district rivalry has it all, and it could determine seedings and will be a great playoff booster for both teams.

2. Lake Taylor @ Phoebus (Week 6)
There are plenty of great games every year in the Norfolk area, but this one stands out to me the most. Both teams schedules are undoubtedly grueling, but this one takes place before Norcom game for the Titans, and will be big for both teams. We'll really get to see if Lake Taylor can return back to form after a subpar year and see if they'll be able to compete in a strong Region 4A this year.

1. Salem @ Dinwiddie (Week 3)
Yeah yeah...you knew it was coming. The state champs lost this game last year, but something about this one just has me ticking. Playing at Dinwiddie, in the generals home opener, Salem will get a chance to play in one of the toughest road environments it can. If Dinwiddie can make it through this week without a loss, I think they prove themselves as the favorite in 4B again. This will be a playoff caliber game, and it will reveal a lot about two of the strongest programs in Class 4 and how they are reloading after losing many key pieces from last fall.

Last edited:
Nice list... well done!

Also 2 games not mentioned that i thought of that could be good are Monacan vs Bird and Lafayette vs IC Norcom.
Yep, that Lafayette opening game against Norcom is on my list. For Lafayette it’s at Norcom, Norcom plays the previous week so they have a game under their belt, Lafayette does not and Norcom returns some top players.

Yep, that Lafayette opening game against Norcom is on my list. For Lafayette it’s at Norcom, Norcom plays the previous week so they have a game under their belt, Lafayette does not and Norcom returns some top players.

Definitely one that deserves a mention, we'll get to see if Norcom can repeat on success from last year and if Lafayette will have the tools to defend it's Region 4A title.

Reactions: mbonape1
Definitely one that deserves a mention, we'll get to see if Norcom can repeat on success from last year and if Lafayette will have the tools to defend it's Region 4A title.

I would say the answer to both of those questions is yes. I was surprised that Lafayette came out of region A last year. I thought the other schools like KF & DC had too much firepower but Lafayette proved me wrong. 4a is going to be an interesting region this year with a LT bounce back and Hampton joining in 2019. Look out for region A!

Manchester/Monacan hasn't been mentioned. Is it because it's not likely to be the game it was last year?

#5 on his list
Oops, missed it.

I hope he is wrong about Dinwiddie at Smithfield being a top, (meaning close), game. Only because they lost their superstar Willie Drew, half their roster to graduation, and have a new coach. I know they went 9-3, with a signature win in the playoffs over Lake Taylor. But, the Bay Rivers is not the most challenging district. The only other team they beat last year that I think was notable was Class 2 Poquoson. They lost to every other good Class 4 team they played, Lafayette, Kings Fork, and Dinwiddie.

I could be totally wrong, and Dinwiddie could be made into Gwaltney bologna by the Packers, but I think not.

Oops, missed it.

I hope he is wrong about Dinwiddie at Smithfield being a top, (meaning close), game. Only because they lost their superstar Willie Drew, half their roster to graduation, and have a new coach. I know they went 9-3, with a signature win in the playoffs over Lake Taylor. But, the Bay Rivers is not the most challenging district. The only other team they beat last year that I think was notable was Class 2 Poquoson. They lost to every other good Class 4 team they played, Lafayette, Kings Fork, and Dinwiddie.

I could be totally wrong, and Dinwiddie could be made into Gwaltney bologna by the Packers, but I think not.

I think you’ll be ok DP... It is more of a measuring stick for a young Smithfield program. If they can hang tough then they might be a player in Region A.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT