ADVERTISEMENT

Nansemond-Suffolk Baron Goodman

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
The life of a high school recruit often involves traveling from camp to camp during the summer months to get the attention of college coaches. That appears to be the recipe for Nansemond-Suffolk lineman Baron Goodman who is making good use of his Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) device.
813652.jpg
"I have been to Furman, Wofford, Duke, William & Mary, Virginia, Temple, Richmond, and I will be attending Old Dominion this weekend," Goodman said. "The coaches have been very helpful at the camps. The main thing they look at for an offensive lineman is feet and my feet are good. I have a strong punch now and I use both at the same time. The camps have helped a lot with teaching me new blocking schemes that I can take back and use on the high school level."
Goodman's nickname is "Bear" and he follows a workout routine that would put most lineman in hibernation.
"I work about 1.5 hours on strength and 1.5 hours a day on conditioning and speed with William Blaber, my old line Coach at NSA plus my workouts with my team," Goodman said. "I have added about 50 pounds to my bench while reducing my 40-speed by two-tenths of a second. (Coach Blaber) creates some tough workouts for me that include some weird things like doing ladders on my hands, dragging tires, tire cleans and sledge hammer work."
The "weird" routine is paying off. Goodman won the Offensive Lineman MVP award at the National Underclassmen Combine in Hampton Roads among other awards. "At the UVA camp, I was second in their strongest man competition, and I won the lineman award at Temple," he said. "My squat is 500, and my bench is up to 355 now."
While he's still waiting for a firm offer, Goodman who carries a 3.5 GPA says schools that seem to be most interested are all the schools where he attended camps. He added, "Interest is building from the military academies as well as schools like Holy Cross."

This post was edited on 7/25 8:32 AM by wgarlick

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News