ADVERTISEMENT

New Alignment starting 2017-2018

uvawiseman

VaPreps Rookie
Oct 27, 2001
I saw the other day where the VHSL is going back to the District/Region system they had before using the current system. In it, James River High School in Buchanan was moving to the Three Rivers District and Eastern Montgomery is moving into the Pioneer. Radford is listed in a single A Region with the possibility of moving up to 2A. Does anyone have any more information?

George Wythe and Rural Retreat may be leaving the Hogo. Graham is hoping to move back to the SouthWest...I think all of that is in the air though.

JR to TRD? That's dumb. It would make much more sense for them to stay in the Pioneer. If they really need the challenge that badly, move them into the BRD with Northside, Alleghany, Rockbridge, Lord Botetourt, and Staunton River. They'll wish they didn't. Fleming and Byrd shouldn't be in there anyway.

I don't care where Eastern Montgomery goes.

The only new team I would want in the TRD is Fort and I can't believe I just typed that, but there it is.

Fort is not something to gun for. James River will be a good addition in a lot of sports. I just saw that Alleghany and Carroll will be moving into the TRD next season. A. That's idiotic. B. That's a big district.

Fort is not something to gun for. James River will be a good addition in a lot of sports. I just saw that Alleghany and Carroll will be moving into the TRD next season. A. That's idiotic. B. That's a big district.
That district is too big. Plain and simple, Alleghany can't compete in the Blue Ridge and Carroll can't hack it in the River Ridge. So, they want to play with schools with smaller enrollments to have a chance. The travel time between Pearisburg and Low Moor is absurd.

Reactions: CallMeCoach19
I don't want to make any disparaging remarks about the alignment committee but the reality of the new alignment is worse than it even looks on paper. Since this is the single A forum i'll talk about that specifically. Lets concentrate on the eastern side of the state.

The East has 17 schools and the Mid East has 10. Already a noticeable disparity between the two but lets not complain yet. Let's dive deeper. The East has 17 schools that field football teams the Mid East only has 7 (Carver, ARGS, Galileo don't participate in these sports). If you want to take it a step further and judge I don't believe Rappahannock Co.has won a game in a couple of years which in theory would make it 6 teams.

But back to the facts.... So in a playoff system where 4 advance from each region you have a 1 and 17 chance from the East and a 1 and 7 from the Mid East. 57%of the teams will make the football playoffs from the mid east and 24% will make it from the East.

These instances of disparity between the regions occur in many different sports/activities but for this I just concentrated on Football.

The reality of the situation is that the alignment committee messed up big time and unless there is an outcry soon we will spend all of next year complaining about the alignment statewide.

Reactions: uvacavs1
That district is too big. Plain and simple, Alleghany can't compete in the Blue Ridge and Carroll can't hack it in the River Ridge. So, they want to play with schools with smaller enrollments to have a chance. The travel time between Pearisburg and Low Moor is absurd.

Yeah, I just don't understand how you tell your players, "You guys just aren't any good, so we're going to play down a division (or 2 in CC's case)...and still probably lose." Don't get me wrong, I'll take the points we'll get from the wins, but it just seems counter to what the VHSL has been claiming to do.

I don't want to make any disparaging remarks about the alignment committee but the reality of the new alignment is worse than it even looks on paper. Since this is the single A forum i'll talk about that specifically. Lets concentrate on the eastern side of the state.

The East has 17 schools and the Mid East has 10. Already a noticeable disparity between the two but lets not complain yet. Let's dive deeper. The East has 17 schools that field football teams the Mid East only has 7 (Carver, ARGS, Galileo don't participate in these sports). If you want to take it a step further and judge I don't believe Rappahannock Co.has won a game in a couple of years which in theory would make it 6 teams.

But back to the facts.... So in a playoff system where 4 advance from each region you have a 1 and 17 chance from the East and a 1 and 7 from the Mid East. 57%of the teams will make the football playoffs from the mid east and 24% will make it from the East.

These instances of disparity between the regions occur in many different sports/activities but for this I just concentrated on Football.

The reality of the situation is that the alignment committee messed up big time and unless there is an outcry soon we will spend all of next year complaining about the alignment statewide.

From my understanding and speaking to a few of the ADs, there is a possibility on the table where some far east teams will shift to the east for the playoffs during football season only.

The simple fix would be to just move Franklin, Sussex, Surry, and Windsor to the Mid-East.

Yeah, I just don't understand how you tell your players, "You guys just aren't any good, so we're going to play down a division (or 2 in CC's case)...and still probably lose." Don't get me wrong, I'll take the points we'll get from the wins, but it just seems counter to what the VHSL has been claiming to do.

I can't speak for Carroll but know the situation at Alleghany. They will be 4 students over the cutoff for 2A this current school year. Next years enrollment is projected to be about 20 below the cutoff. Enrollment will level off between 650 and 700 in about 6 years. They are not really playing down but playing were they belong next year & will be in 3 years.

As far as you saying that they will still probably lose I will predict that they will win more than they lose in football & do very well in other sports. In baseball they will not lose a game most years. The Blue Ridge is currently very strong.

ArtfulOne speaks truth. Besides football, this Eastern 1A alignment also places many sports' regional and state tournaments in an unbalanced and unfair situation (if I understand correctly how it may work).

In addition to the obvious number of schools disparity between the East and Mid East, many of the powers in most sports (basketball, softball, boys soccer, baseball, volleyball) reside in the Far East. As it appears now, just one or two powerhouse schools from Mid East region will have easy access to regional/state level tournaments.

Some of the fixes/thoughts in this tread expressed make good sense. Any more ideas? Other details known? If it has been fixed, let schools and fans know publicly because YES, this will be a major problem if not corrected soon...

I can't speak for Carroll but know the situation at Alleghany. They will be 4 students over the cutoff for 2A this current school year. Next years enrollment is projected to be about 20 below the cutoff. Enrollment will level off between 650 and 700 in about 6 years. They are not really playing down but playing were they belong next year & will be in 3 years.

As far as you saying that they will still probably lose I will predict that they will win more than they lose in football & do very well in other sports. In baseball they will not lose a game most years. The Blue Ridge is currently very strong.
I knew Alleghany's enrollment was not keeping pace with the rest of the state. I had no idea they are falling into 2A levels. Still, I think a better fix is to keep them were they are and make the Blue Ridge 2A/3A, adding JR. The larger schools Fleming and Byrd can join PH, Salem, and FranCo in a revived Roanoke Valley District. This also solves the problem of PH and FranCo not having to play half of their district.

Reactions: salemfan32
The simple fix would be to just move Franklin, Sussex, Surry, and Windsor to the Mid-East.

NNDanalyst,

In the model, the four teams would be Surry, Sussex, Charles City, and West Point. If you looked at previous alignments, if the East region didn't receive as many teams as they would have, those would be the four teams from the Far East to shift over.

Just to correct one thing - the alignment committee didn't make those changes. Schools and regions were allowed to develop their own plans and submit them. Many regions, because of economics chose to be in larger groups for travel purposes and understood they would be at a disadvantage for state playoff births. In 1A the plan was almost unanimously approved by their regions before being approved by the alignment committee. If you want to argue against the plan take your arguments to the proper place - the schools and regions. In football, every region will get one representative to the state playoffs.

Just to correct one thing - the alignment committee didn't make those changes. Schools and regions were allowed to develop their own plans and submit them. Many regions, because of economics chose to be in larger groups for travel purposes and understood they would be at a disadvantage for state playoff births. In 1A the plan was almost unanimously approved by their regions before being approved by the alignment committee. If you want to argue against the plan take your arguments to the proper place - the schools and regions. In football, every region will get one representative to the state playoffs.

Thanks dringtuoti for your valued input, I always respect your posts.

If what you are saying is true, what a shame that the East region teams have been placed at such a competitive disadvantage ( to be clear, I'm talking about the odds making the region and state playoffs). Do people not comprehend how hard teams work to achieve their goals? (and yes, I understand the economic argument. However, teams in the East already routinely make 3 to 8 hour round trips like Arcadia etc.)

Let me illustrate my concern- Take a look at the Eastern half breakdown:

The East Region has 17 schools (10 to 12 programs are consistently strong in many sports).

The Mid East Region has 10 schools (3 to 5 programs are consistently strong in most sports).

Only TWO teams from each region will make the state tournament!

The Far East will be a major challenge to be in the top 4 schools in almost all sports all school year.

As for the Mid-East, Hmmm....I am going to go ahead and easily predict that from the Mid-East region Altavista and Riverheads will go to States in almost every sport every year with little competition in most events.

You don't need a crystal ball for that one....

I agree with you, just wanted everyone to know that it wasn't the alignment committee that made that choice for them. I know for a fact, that even though Altavista is a benefactor they questioned how unbalanced the new regions will be but still didn't vote against it because they didn't want to tell other schools what was best for them.

I will agree that in baseball Ghany will be very competitive year in year out. But in football, basketball (this is always in flux for sure), volleyball, track, and soccer they will struggle at least for now. The TRD is a very athletic district at the moment. But that is the trouble with smaller schools. they all run in cycles. So if every school is on the downslope, everything looks worse than it is.

I will agree that in baseball Ghany will be very competitive year in year out. But in football, basketball (this is always in flux for sure), volleyball, track, and soccer they will struggle at least for now. The TRD is a very athletic district at the moment. But that is the trouble with smaller schools. they all run in cycles. So if every school is on the downslope, everything looks worse than it is.
Glenvar rarely loses in district in baseball & I think Alleghany has only lost to them 1 time in 5 years. Basketball wins about half in the Blue Ridge so I think they will win more than that in the TRD. Still won't beat Radford of course. Football will win at least half if not more & all boys sports will do well. Girls sports is where they struggle. Not knocking the TRD but big step down from BR. Might not have been a huge difference 10 years ago but is now. BR really picked up last 5 years or so.

Last edited:
They are moving to the TRD not RR. With Auburn leaving Girls sports are now wide open. That is a shame though. Watching those kids play volleyball was something else.

Reactions: HIGHLANDS GUY
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT