ADVERTISEMENT

NEW VaPreps VHSL Hoops Top Ten Rankings (thru 1/9/18 Games)

Who makes this list. They must be the same sports writers who came up with the preseason NCAA top 25 and left UVA off. I just can't see how a 7-5 Heritage team is #8. While you have a Staunton River team that is 7-3. Their losses #1(3A) Northside, #6 (4A) E.C. Glass and a close loss away to James River (not good). They also beat Heritage by 5 on a neutral court. Don't knlw much about (5-4) Armstrong.

Who makes this list. They must be the same sports writers who came up with the preseason NCAA top 25 and left UVA off. I just can't see how a 7-5 Heritage team is #8. While you have a Staunton River team that is 7-3. Their losses #1(3A) Northside, #6 (4A) E.C. Glass and a close loss away to James River (not good). They also beat Heritage by 5 on a neutral court. Don't knlw much about (5-4) Armstrong.

Right here pal. Let's hear your list?

Staunton River is good, but didn't quite make my list. Fan of Kalip Jones for them by the way.

Right here pal. Let's hear your list?

Staunton River is good, but didn't quite make my list. Fan of Kalip Jones for them by the way.
Never claimed to have a list. Just questioned the ranking of #8 Heritage over Staunton River who has 2 more losses than SR including a loss to SR. Can you explain your decision.

Never claimed to have a list. Just questioned the ranking of #8 Heritage over Staunton River who has 2 more losses than SR including a loss to SR. Can you explain your decision.

Sure. Heritage-Lynchburg has played a challenging schedule and think they are better at this point in the season. Beat a good Class 2 Dan River team - twice in fact - as well as Class 4 contender GW-Danville by 7. They've scored 80+ in three of their first five games.

Staunton River does own the head-to-head win over H-L, but their loss to James River - which was not great as you stated - and the margin in which Northside beat them gave me some pause. They were on my Honorable Mention list along with Hidden Valley and Abingdon. But ultimately, didn't think they deserved the nod this week. Do think it was close and could see an argument for why they belong though.

I believe Northside is making everyone take a pause. But their magin of victory over SR is pretty much their average magin of victory over everyone. Thanks for your insight, appreciate options and posts. Maybe next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: matthew328826
Western Albemarle should be in there. They beat North Stafford by double digits. North Stafford split with George Wythe and also defeated James Monroe by like 17..Also played 4A Louisa to OT.

Western Albemarle should be in there. They beat North Stafford by double digits. North Stafford split with George Wythe and also defeated James Monroe by like 17..Also played 4A Louisa to OT.

I need to give Western Albemarle a closer look because they're better than I anticipated after losing Ryan Ingram, their standout the past couple seasons, to graduation. I'm not positive they are definitevely better than the last two teams in the Top 10 - Armstrong and Heritage-Lynchburg - but actually think they are than undefeated Park View, which has mopped up on some Class 1 and Class 2 teams (both in and out of the Tri-Rivers District).

Sounds like Garrett Payne is going to be a good one for Western. Have heard some positive things/

I watched SR against Heritage. SR has a good squad. I do feel if they played 5 times heritage would win 4 out of 5 though. I will say that Kalip Jones is one of the best players in this area. He can ball! Does that young man have any offers...good two sport athlete.

I watched SR against Heritage. SR has a good squad. I do feel if they played 5 times heritage would win 4 out of 5 though. I will say that Kalip Jones is one of the best players in this area. He can ball! Does that young man have any offers...good two sport athlete.
Just committed to Blue Field college. So proud of this young man. I've been knowing him and his family for years. Works hard, very humble but when it's game time he's all business.

Last edited:
Hey Pioneer 4life I know this is a winter sports thread but do you have any inside info on who Davis might sign with?

Not trying too discredit your argument but the JR loss at SR wasn't exactly a blowout. Had the officials not generated the foulfest they did it would have may have been closer than it was. A 4-6 point game until JR had to start fouling at the end. This JR team is better than they are getting credit for. Just inconsistent and lacking direction from the bench.

Not trying too discredit your argument but the JR loss at SR wasn't exactly a blowout. Had the officials not generated the foulfest they did it would have may have been closer than it was. A 4-6 point game until JR had to start fouling at the end. This JR team is better than they are getting credit for. Just inconsistent and lacking direction from the bench.
The comment (not good) was not ment to be in reference to the quality of team that James River has. I would agree James River usually have good teams year in and year out but as you stated inconsistent. (Not good) was in reference to a 3A team loosing to 2A team that when they were undefeated at the time.

Reactions: OnceAKnight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT