ADVERTISEMENT

New Virginia restriction : gatherings reduced 250 to 25

I don't know who your being a big man comments were directed at, but I have over 20 years experience in education and coaching. In fact, if you add my parent's and siblings experience with mine, we have over 100 years of experience.

I too am in a division that has some type of in person learning and our positive numbers have been almost nonexistent. My children attend a different division, one that attends four days a week, in person and they have had great results as well.

My personal opinion is children need to be in school and measures can be taken to safely do so. It's proven that it can happen. Yes there are challenges, but they can be solved or worked around. This virus is not going anywhere and we cannot keep children out of school until Auguat/September 2021. That's 17-18 months without a formal education.

One last point...all of these schools that are virtual are having to find ways to bring students in to take SOLs in a few weeks. It's not safe to be in person even 2 days a week, but it is safe enough to bring them in to test?
It was not directed at you. I want kids in schools every day, where we can actually enforce common sense guidelines. Having them working jobs 4 days a week and then coming to me on the 5th day is not sound.

Reactions: WP02alum
I think we’re just seeing the free market at play. And each locality is having to make the best decision they can within their situation. Or teachers don’t care enough. One of those.

I hope that the general public knows that the teachers that are shouting the loudest about not wanting to come back in person are a very small minority. In my opinion, their antics are making the rest of us look bad and are a stain on our profession.

The vast majority of teachers want to see their students in person. Do they have some reservations? Sure and I know some who have gotten out because those were reservations that they couldn't reconcile. But 99% of the ones that are left want to teach their students in person if everybody will just follow the safety protocols.

Last edited:
Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I hope that the general public knows that the teachers that are shouting the loudest about not wanting to come back in person are a very small minority. In my opinion, their antics are making the rest of us look bad and are a stain on our profession.

The vast majority of teachers want to see their students in person. Do they have some reservations? Sure and I know some who have gotten out because those were reservations that they couldn't reconcile those concerns. But 99% of the ones that are left want to teach their students in person if everybody will just follow the safety protocols.
I agree with you. I know many teachers and coaches across the state. Have not spoken to a one who don’t want students back or athletes back on the fields, in the gym, or weight rooms. But everyone I’ve spoken with also would like safety protocols in place. I haven’t spoken to. a single administrator, teacher, or coach who likes dealing with virtual learning and also having a few kids in the classroom. I know I liked having 20-30 in a classroom vs. 10 or less. But that’s just me. Imagine a coach like myself who liked serious conversations with officials doing they a mask.

It was not directed at you. I want kids in schools every day, where we can actually enforce common sense guidelines. Having them working jobs 4 days a week and then coming to me on the 5th day is not sound.
Good to know and I couldn't agree with you more. The number of students failing at least one class or more is ridiculous. Typical straight A or A/B students failing classes. It's sad, but nice for me to read that someone else is experiencing students working instead of attending school. This trend is a disease all in its own. Businesses should be ashamed

Good to know and I couldn't agree with you more. The number of students failing at least one class or more is ridiculous. Typical straight A or A/B students failing classes. It's sad, but nice for me to read that someone else is experiencing students working instead of attending school. This trend is a disease all in its own. Businesses should be ashamed
Yes. Everything you said is exactly what we are experiencing here. I eventually got all my students to pass, but it involved way more parental contact than I am used to. I was really dismayed last spring when I was trying to contact students and the parents were teleworking from home, but my students were out working at Walmart/McDonalds/etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT