ADVERTISEMENT

Next weeks Heritage/LCA game

They not ready
@lyhsports I promise you am not being rude or disrespectful; however, based on the responses I see people are very aware of why LCA and other private schools were created. Although this is not the place I would be willing to bet most would openly discuss the matter and detest the idea of it. Many people of all races fought for and resisted against this type of behavior in the 1960's. I attended college in the early to mid 80's and we actually discussed at the length brown vs. the board of education case and how entire towns, cities and counties reacted to the decision. Farmville, VA was a major player and actually closed down it's public school system thus creating at the time Prince Edward Academy (Fuqua). Heck, VA still has an entire district of these private schools still in operation. Southampton Academy, Amelia Academy, Brunswick Academy, Kenston Forest, Isle of Whight and Tidewater Academy to name a few. Hopefully, LCA has come around and no longer condones this thought process. Back to football for me.

Last edited:
I don’t think I’ve had the chance to share my feelings about my trip to LU for the game that started this thread.

First, what made this night the most enjoyable was meeting up with my good friend Mike Salem and his buddy, and meeting oldfool personally. Three fine gentlemen with a tremendous amount of football knowledge.

Secondly, regardless of your opinion of LCA and LU, you have got to give credit where credit is due. Williams Stadium is super impressive. Everything is clean and modern, and well thought out, (except one minor thing that Mike pointed out. Explained in a minute.) The attendants, regardless of what task they were handling, made you feel like a welcomed guest.

The field is breathtaking. It looks so small surrounded by the stadium. If I had to take a seat on the top row on the visitors side, I would need supplemental O2 to get there, and more O2 to stay because of the altitude.

I believe that parking for Saturday LU games must me challenging, but for this game it was a breeze.

The game was very entertaining. I believe that Heritage was the better team overall. The line play by Heritage was noticeably better. LCA had outside speed to burn, and that is how they won the game.

And, yes, I stopped at Moore’s. You see, my steering broke at the same time I was passing, and it jerked me into their parking lot. I figured, since I was already there, I might as well have a couple of their hot dogs. What is most amazing is that when I came out and sat in the truck and ate, I dropped a little of the chili on the broken steering and it welded it back together. So I was able to be on my way to meet Mike. Honest, that’s the way it happened!!!

The one complaint? You can’t see the scoreboard from the Handicap area on the main concourse. I cold lean far enough forward from my seat to see most of the scoreboard, but Mike being in his scooter didn’t have that option. A supplemental scoreboard would be nice.

The bottom line, it was another fun evening enjoying high school football with great friends. I’m always appreciative of opportunities like this. This one didn’t disappoint.

I don’t think I’ve had the chance to share my feelings about my trip to LU for the game that started this thread.

First, what made this night the most enjoyable was meeting up with my good friend Mike Salem and his buddy, and meeting oldfool personally. Three fine gentlemen with a tremendous amount of football knowledge.

Secondly, regardless of your opinion of LCA and LU, you have got to give credit where credit is due. Williams Stadium is super impressive. Everything is clean and modern, and well thought out, (except one minor thing that Mike pointed out. Explained in a minute.) The attendants, regardless of what task they were handling, made you feel like a welcomed guest.

The field is breathtaking. It looks so small surrounded by the stadium. If I had to take a seat on the top row on the visitors side, I would need supplemental O2 to get there, and more O2 to stay because of the altitude.

I believe that parking for Saturday LU games must me challenging, but for this game it was a breeze.

The game was very entertaining. I believe that Heritage was the better team overall. The line play by Heritage was noticeably better. LCA had outside speed to burn, and that is how they won the game.

And, yes, I stopped at Moore’s. You see, my steering broke at the same time I was passing, and it jerked me into their parking lot. I figured, since I was already there, I might as well have a couple of their hot dogs. What is most amazing is that when I came out and sat in the truck and ate, I dropped a little of the chili on the broken steering and it welded it back together. So I was able to be on my way to meet Mike. Honest, that’s the way it happened!!!

The one complaint? You can’t see the scoreboard from the Handicap area on the main concourse. I cold lean far enough forward from my seat to see most of the scoreboard, but Mike being in his scooter didn’t have that option. A supplemental scoreboard would be nice.

The bottom line, it was another fun evening enjoying high school football with great friends. I’m always appreciative of opportunities like this. This one didn’t disappoint.
Also, the damn sound system was way too loud where we were sitting. It might have been because the sound on the concourse was just reverberating throughout. It probably has to be that loud for an LU game to be heard over the crowd, but it was unnecessary to be that loud for a mostly empty stadium. I guess I'm just getting old.

Also, the damn sound system was way too loud where we were sitting. It might have been because the sound on the concourse was just reverberating throughout. It probably has to be that loud for an LU game to be heard over the crowd, but it was unnecessary to be that loud for a mostly empty stadium. I guess I'm just getting old.
Yeah, I forgot about that. We had to wait and talk in between the announcer talking. Like Mike said, I guess we are just grumpy old men.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldfool2
LCA follows VHSL rules, probably better than any school.
Someone should ask Bradley about having players at Wm Campbell who lived in Lynchburg. As for 15 mile radius of HHS, I believe that 15 miles extend into Rustburg, Brookville, Amherst, Forest and EC Glass school zones.
Name one kid or number, that lived in Lynchburg. Also, the people with actual knowledge never said LCA cheated. They have an unfair advantage that they can get kids from anywhere without the same protocols as the rest of the teams in the Seminole.

Name one kid or number, that lived in Lynchburg. Also, the people with actual knowledge never said LCA cheated. They have an unfair advantage that they can get kids from anywhere without the same protocols as the rest of the teams in the Seminole.
Yes they do so that’s why they will always dominate. Coach Rocco can keep saying they are young but they get some of the best from local schools.

Yes they do so that’s why they will always dominate. Coach Rocco can keep saying they are young but they get some of the best from local schools.

The kids that choose to go there are still required to pay tuition to attend the private school, yes they can offer you a Christian education and the luxury of being in the foothills of the worlds largest Christian University but without someone providing hard evidence of the gross miscarriages of abuse to the VHSL rules can we just let it be. As a private school they have no home/county location to draw a student population so kids can come from all over to be there they just can't transfer from their previous HS to LCA for competitive purposes. Is there a gray area between there yes no-one is naive but they aren't openly recruiting. The kids in this area are hampered by people's views of the unfairness and cheating which is a piss poor excuse to continue bringing up. LCA might be the best team in central va right now, but it always goes in cycles every team in the seminole has had a run and talent infusion right now LCA is having their run in VHSL, still hasn't netted them a championship but makes them a hot ticket to go see.

Reactions: lyhsports
The kids that choose to go there are still required to pay tuition to attend the private school, yes they can offer you a Christian education and the luxury of being in the foothills of the worlds largest Christian University but without someone providing hard evidence of the gross miscarriages of abuse to the VHSL rules can we just let it be. As a private school they have no home/county location to draw a student population so kids can come from all over to be there they just can't transfer from their previous HS to LCA for competitive purposes. Is there a gray area between there yes no-one is naive but they aren't openly recruiting. The kids in this area are hampered by people's views of the unfairness and cheating which is a piss poor excuse to continue bringing up. LCA might be the best team in central va right now, but it always goes in cycles every team in the seminole has had a run and talent infusion right now LCA is having their run in VHSL, still hasn't netted them a championship but makes them a hot ticket to go see.
So there are no athletes living with "host" families? No athletes are found on the mission trips around the world to which one of the leaders of the school told me was to offer "a chance at a better Christian lifestyle" No athletes for any sport that is already verbally committed to LU and want to get in the program early to which an assistant girls basketball coach told me "it is sweet we get these girls to transfer in who are committed to LU they practice with them some and get into the system early"

The one thing that always stood out about admitting private schools into the VHSL to me was the inability to verify facts such as eligibility. Public schools are public entities, and as such must make all but certain private information available. This mandated requirement is not incumbent upon non-government sponsored schools.

Does this mean that LCA circumvents the rules? That is for you to decide. But, it does mean that there is not the same level of accountability available to prove compliance to the rules that there is with public schools.

I’ll also add, if you want to know why private schools are now eligible to become members of the VHSL, look no further than Jerry Falwell Jr. himself. Falwell's ego alone is the sole reason why LCA has membership. I honestly don’t believe that “LCA, the school” was terribly interested in VHSL membership. But Falwell‘s personality was such that nobody was going to tell him what he could and could not do. I doubt if he could have told you the difference between a football and a basketball, but in the name of God, he was going to have it his way. And I offer as validation of my opinion his fall from grace and his legacy.

Reactions: CVAfootballfan
I appreciate the respectful and insightful conversation. I see a lot of great points as I think we all can agree that LCA has an unfair advantage with their transfer accountability, where they get their players from and the grey areas within their VHSL agreement. I think that LCA is always gonna be the focus because of who they are but from working in a bigger locality and around athletics, I’ll tell you all that transfers, recruiting and unfair advantages are everywhere. I’m not defending LCA but I’m just being the bearer of bad news. You’d be surprised at the reasons kids transfer in/out of programs but it’s normally advice given by a youth league coach or the parent, more so than the actual program recruiting. Winning, amenities, exposure, personnel, etc are all factors. We had a 4 star and a 3 star from a neighboring high school workout with us. We had a coaching change and those guys were across the county the next day and ended up winning a state championship last fall. We put a lot of emphasis on LCA, when in reality, if you did a thorough address/school zone audit of the past few state champions, LCA would be the least of our worries. Just my little two cents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT