ADVERTISEMENT

NFHS coverage is a joke

Bo Bob

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 1, 2016
Twice I've tried to watch some converge and the camera system leaves A LOT to be desired!!

Half the field is in color the other half in black and white.
Just now I tried to watch the Radford film vs Glenvar and the camera pans out at times to include the cheerleader and the football play is just something in the distant background.
We had a lady who did our Appomattox on Facebook Live and did a fabulous job. it was great for the elderly, the sick, or just family from out of town to watch grandsons play. She had to quit because of this coverage??!!!!

Sorry, rant over.

This is 100% on the schools. Some schools have great camera action. Others, not so much. The schools have to take the initiate to contact NFHS and work to calibrate the cameras. Some schools don't clean the cameras or they have them behind the glass of the press box which creates cloudy images or those with glare.

Look at this event(good)

and compare to this one(bad).

Same cameras, same system, different execution.

Reactions: Bo Bob
Yea, I know a lot has to do with the set up and how much attention that person paid to detail. I jusy know that if there is movement sometimes the camera goes to it and not the play so you miss that.

NFHS works ok indoors but is terrible for football. Rarely see the end results on long pass plays because the camera doesn't follow the play until after the play is over. Most don't even post scores or show the clock but it is still a little better than nothing.

Lets hope they atleast use the right field tonight unlike they did for the Glass game last night.

Reactions: Bo Bob
Some Schools NFHS feeds will show the clock and the score. Others will not. I assume that is on the school.
Every school has to have up and coming sports media kids who want to "intern" with these broadcasts. Schools are missing an opportunity to use these kids. Some schools I have noticed go above and behind. Most do not... at this point.

Agree that some are better than others. For example, the coverage the other night at the Fort Defiance volleyball match was quite good. The action was clear, the scoreboard was easy to read and functioning, and even registered each point immediately after it was scored.

I tried a couple of years ago and I couldn't get it to stream, it was very laggy and slow. Yep camera work was horrible. I have no problems with Hulu, Netflix and others but their feed was unwatchable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT