ADVERTISEMENT

No fall football for VHSL

schoolboard

VaPreps All District
Oct 21, 2006
All of this is from Brad Fauber, Northern Virginia Daily twitter

VHSL Executive Director Billy Haun has laid out three models for reopening sports for the 2020-21 school year during this morning's Executive Committee meeting. The committee will vote on one of the three models on Aug. 3

Model 1 leaves all seasons as they are, only low/moderate risk sports (golf, XC) would take place this fall. That means no football, volleyball, field hockey or cheer, all of which are deemed high risk.

Model 2 flips fall and spring seasons, would allow all spring sports with the exception of lacrosse to be played this fall.

Model 3 condenses seasons for fall, winter and spring sports; winter sports held Dec.14-Feb. 20, fall held Feb. 15-May 1, spring from April 12-June 26

The VHSL Executive Committee has voted to delay the beginning of fall sports indefinitely or until a decision is reached on July 27 and to suspend the July-August dead period for 2020

One important thing to note: In all three models proposed during this morning's VHSL Executive Committee meeting, there is no football in the fall

VHSL Executive Director Billy Haun has laid out three models for reopening sports for the 2020-21 school year during this morning's Executive Committee meeting. The committee will vote on one of the three models on Aug. 3

Model 1 leaves all seasons as they are, only low/moderate risk sports (golf, XC) would take place this fall. That means no football, volleyball, field hockey or cheer, all of which are deemed high risk.

Model 2 flips fall and spring seasons, would allow all spring sports with the exception of lacrosse to be played this fall.

Model 3 condenses seasons for fall, winter and spring sports; winter sports held Dec.14-Feb. 20, fall held Feb. 15-May 1, spring from April 12-June 26

The VHSL Executive Committee has voted to delay the beginning of fall sports indefinitely or until a decision is reached on July 27 and to suspend the July-August dead period for 2020

One important thing to note: In all three models proposed during this morning's VHSL Executive Committee meeting, there is no football in the fall
No one should be surprised

Reactions: aw19752
An important note: VHSL said no football at all unless Virginia moves to to Phase 4. Good luck on that this year or even next Winter/ Spring. No football in any season if still in phase 3.

Just saw the overlap between fall and spring sports with the condensed seasons. That'll be problematic for most schools.

Really just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic and allowing stakeholders to come to grips with the reality of the situation. Now 2 weeks from the traditional start of preseason and the amount of change necessary to really consider football is very large. It is a lot like what is happening in college and may soon happen in the pros(particularly based off what happens in other pro sports). Nobody wants to be the first to rip the band aid of hope off.

With people not following the guidelines, we will never get to Phase 4. Those same people won't get the vaccine either.

The herd immunity number is reasonably low, it will give us some leeway to deal with the idiots in our society.

I'm assuming most states will just pass laws requiring students to have the vaccine to be able to go to school. Even before this all began and idiot anti-vaxxers were causing issue with the measles resurgence, Mississippi of all places passed sweeping legislation requiring vaccines for school with zero non-medical exemptions i.e. no religious exemptions and several other states passed similar legislation. It should just be either put your kid in private/home schooling, have them present proof they're immunocompromised, or have your shot documentation.

Are they cancelling Marching Band's season too?

Will depend on the various school divisions. They aren’t governed by VHSL, so it’s not a direct relationship. Some schools might not see the value offering it while others will.

The more I overanalyze the 3 scenarios, the more worried I become. I liked the condensed season scenario until I saw the overlap. Too many athletes and coaches do multiple sports.

The flipping seasons scenario has me worried about time frame. Is there enough time for ADs to get spring schedules to fit the fall and how will baseball and softball compete with the peak of travel ball season?

The more I overanalyze the 3 scenarios, the more worried I become. I liked the condensed season scenario until I saw the overlap. Too many athletes and coaches do multiple sports.

The flipping seasons scenario has me worried about time frame. Is there enough time for ADs to get spring schedules to fit the fall and how will baseball and softball compete with the peak of travel ball season?
IMHO, If you are finding it tough to decide on travel team vs. school team, then I think you've already made your decision.

Speaking for my school in particular. None of our players play basketball or baseball but 90% of our starters do track to train for football. We have probably 125 kids in our JV and Varsity program and a lot of them are dependent on football being played. We have 28 seniors, 30 juniors and 2 returning starters who will be sophomores. I see this trend with a lot of the bigger schools with football players in our area.

Richmond School Board has already decided to have virtual classes the 1st semester

IMHO, If you are finding it tough to decide on travel team vs. school team, then I think you've already made your decision.
Well sports like baseball, softball, soccer recruiting comes from travel not high school sports. Plus how do you flip the two seasons and have the players be prepared? Plus no playoffs with the time frame in the fall for sports like baseball or softball and I know of a number of high school coaches that coach travel teams during the fall all ready. Are school systems like Albemarle, Orange, and Richmond city that have said the are going or leaning 100% virtual going to allow students to participate in sports on their campus of those school systems don't feel safe to allow their students to attend school?

Speaking for my school in particular. None of our players play basketball or baseball but 90% of our starters do track to train for football. We have probably 125 kids in our JV and Varsity program and a lot of them are dependent on football being played. We have 28 seniors, 30 juniors and 2 returning starters who will be sophomores. I see this trend with a lot of the bigger schools with football players in our area.

Even though this is a 4A board, you have to keep in mind VHSL will be making a decision that impacts all classes/divisions.

They can't overlook how mych of a strain the overlapping seasons would place on 1A through 3A and some 4A. Bigger schools have quadruple the number of kids. One 2A school I was at had all but 4-5 football kids who didn't play baseball, soccer or run track. The entire staff coached a spring sport. Overlapping is just jot feasible at those levels.

If baseball & track were played in the fall both of these sports would come out of summer in shape because your best baseball players play all summer
Your great Track kids run club track in the summer
They would be ready your football players that play
Those sports would be ready for football after competing in track basketball and baseball
Prior to football starting you would eliminate heat illnesses in football because you would start in February you would have the fall to get kids back in the weight room before the season starts also once you got to the football playoffs the weather would
Be better than late November and December

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
My opinion is they won't pick Option 1, since it just kills football.

The option with the short/overlapping seasons would have smaller regular seasons, so the overlapping parts would probably only be the playoffs. I don't like it, because the spring season(even without playoffs) would extend well after my school's graduation. But I bet this is the plan that is approved.

Even though this is a 4A board, you have to keep in mind VHSL will be making a decision that impacts all classes/divisions.

They can't overlook how mych of a strain the overlapping seasons would place on 1A through 3A and some 4A. Bigger schools have quadruple the number of kids. One 2A school I was at had all but 4-5 football kids who didn't play baseball, soccer or run track. The entire staff coached a spring sport. Overlapping is just jot feasible at those levels.
Yes sir, understood.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT