ADVERTISEMENT

No one talks about Class 3

TEE JAY IS LEGIT. I got a lot of stock in those guys. Would’ve liked to have seen them play Varina or Huguenot. I think they deserve a seat at the contender table.
Bo, any idea what Thomas Jefferson and Armstrong did to spruce up their programs? I know that they started to show signs of improvement during the "Great Realignment" and have been mostly solid after that.

For many years, they used to be bottom feeders who were constantly blown out. Maybe because they chose to play up.

I think they both are wonderful stories and their rise hasn't quite gotten as much publicity as it should (then again, we shouldn't be surprised about that since sports media coverage of high school football in Virginia for the most part is the drizzling sh*ts).

Bo, any idea what Thomas Jefferson and Armstrong did to spruce up their programs? I know that they started to show signs of improvement during the "Great Realignment" and have been mostly solid after that.

For many years, they used to be bottom feeders who were constantly blown out. Maybe because they chose to play up.

I think they both are wonderful stories and their rise hasn't quite gotten as much publicity as it should (then again, we shouldn't be surprised about that since sports media coverage of high school football in Virginia for the most part is the drizzling sh*ts).
Great post! I think 3 things are very important.

1.) Consistency. RPS hired some very good guys to run these programs. Scott at Huguenot, PJ Adams and now Coach Harris at Tee Jay, Pruitt at Armstrong, Chip Howard at JM, Hutch at Wythe… A very good collection of guys who care about the kids.

2. Retention. I forgot the poster in the C4 who said it, but these kids are staying put. They’re not running to the county schools like we’ve seen in the past.

3. Support. The youth league in Richmond City is getting the community excited. The kids you see currently playing are products of Bellmeade, Spiders, River City, etc… A few years back, you’d see hundreds of people pack the stands on Saturday mornings to watch these teams play the Glen Lea’s, Chamberlayne’s, Hurricanes, etc.

Richmond currently is and always has been loaded with talent. Coaches just have to recruit their own schools and sell the kids on staying away from the negativity. @BoKnowsSports is spot on about the coaches. The kids today are hard, but the still crave structure and genuine love. If the kids know you believe in them and stick around they will buy in. Huge praise to all of the football programs of RVA.

What are some thoughts on Turner Ashby? Looking at the schedule ahead, i could easily see them running the table in the regular season. They made a run in the playoffs last year,until running into LCA, and i think they could easily make a deep run again this year.

What are some thoughts on Turner Ashby? Looking at the schedule ahead, i could easily see them running the table in the regular season. They made a run in the playoffs last year,until running into LCA, and i think they could easily make a deep run again this year.
Unfortunately, until they, and everyone else run into LCA.

Unfortunately, until they, and everyone else run into LCA.
Yeah I agree, so much talent at LCA it seems as though everyone is playing for 2nd place. Long season and anything could happen, I have seen some really great teams get beat, so you never know, that’s why they play the games. But a healthy LCA will be a challenge to the teams in 3A.

Coach Turner and staff has got them boys playing really well. TA lost a good bit of talent after last year. But their jv has been pretty good for a few years, so they just reload, really good feeder system they’ve got there.

Yeah I agree, so much talent at LCA it seems as though everyone is playing for 2nd place. Long season and anything could happen, I have seen some really great teams get beat, so you never know, that’s why they play the games. But a healthy LCA will be a challenge to the teams in 3A.
But why stay class 3?

How are they even allowed to play against the fully public schools once the playoffs start? I don't know really anything about how that works
they sued the VHSL and got in. A couple more maybe coming!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT