ADVERTISEMENT

Noah Beckley gets an offer from VMI

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
Looks like he'll be joining 6 Spartans playing football there already. A couple of other Spartans who played football are also there or will be. Band of Brothers.

He's a good football player just undersized. I don't remember you saying anything about Beckley so I'm not sure what told ya means?
Told ya' "Looks like another Spartan to VMI". That was early Decmber.

Few actually want to go to VMI and experience that lifestyle. The Keydets have to make do with the leftovers and late blooming Seniors, which is why they recruit so late. It's also why they are not very competitive but Many fine players and men attended and graduated VMI. GL to Noah no matter what he chooses in this next phase of life.

Last edited:
I don't remember him saying anything either other than he wasn't a D1 player. But anyway, congrats to Beckley! Totally deserves every recognition that comes his way!
From December 12th.

"I cannot find where he has any offers yet and it is VERY late in the FBS recruiting process. Probably TOO late.

I would HATE to see him go walk-on. Schools have a huge investment in scholarship QB's. Usually, at least 5 or 6, most of which will never play. Coaches reps are on the line. A walk-on QB must be head and shoulders better than the schollies to have any chance and he gets very few reps and opportunities.

Looks like another Spartan headed to VMI."

Told ya' "Looks like another Spartan to VMI". That was early Decmber.

Few actually want to go to VMI and experience that lifestyle. The Keydets have to make do with the leftovers and late blooming Seniors, which is why they recruit so late. It's also why they are not very competitive but Many fine players and men attended and graduated VMI. GL to Noah no matter what he chooses in this next phase of life.
Noah is definitely not a late blooming Sr, just undersized.

VMI was 3-8 last year, losing by 2 scores or less in 4 games, but another losing season. I kind of think with the new coach and the talent they are getting lately they may just get that 1st winning season in a number of years very soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Noah is definitely not a late blooming Sr, just undersized.

VMI was 4-6 last year, another losing season. I kind of think with the new coach and the talent they are getting lately they may just get that 1st winning season in a number of years very soon.
Beckley is a quality QB in his decision making process. Very smart. Very few mistakes. Good leadership qualities. Players believe in him. All traits that cannot be taught. He has unmeasurable value. I wish him the best no matter what he decides to do.

But VMI isn't going anywhere soon. They simply cannot recruit the level of talent they need to stay with the other teams. Next level play is speed and athleticism. And it's not a few special players like HS. It's across the board. EVERYONE is an All-State caliber player. VMI cannot get the players to match up. That's just how it is. You're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy.

Last edited:
It won't happen overnight, but they are FCS and the schedule isn't as difficult as the CAA for instance. This isn't W&M, JMU, or Richmond for sure, but I like that they are getting the "leftovers."

Hey shaunty. Beckley now had offers from JMU and William and Mary. You like apples how about those apples
At this stage of the recruiting process, those offers are shockers. And it has nothing to do with Beckley. That's for any player. But I will note them for future reference. And I love apples.

Obviously, JMU has to look pretty attractive right now. National Championship and proximity to home.

Again, very best of luck to him in whatever he decides.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
At this stage of the recruiting process, those offers are shockers. And it has nothing to do with Beckley. That's for any player. But I will note them for future reference. And I love apples.

Obviously, JMU has to look pretty attractive right now. National Championship and proximity to home.

Again, very best of luck to him in whatever he decides.
LOL

Not quite sure why that's funny. This never had anything to do with Beckley. This was about the College recruiting process. VMI was not a shocker. They always are last in recruiting. But JMU and W&M is incredibly rare at this stage of the game. That's what makes it noteworthy. The amount of VA players that get offers this late can be counted with one hand.

GL to Noah in whatever he decides.

Reactions: mike salem
Not quite sure why that's funny. This never had anything to do with Beckley. This was about the College recruiting process. VMI was not a shocker. They always are last in recruiting. But JMU and W&M is incredibly rare at this stage of the game. That's what makes it noteworthy. The amount of VA players that get offers this late can be counted with one hand.

GL to Noah in whatever he decides.
Either choice would be great for education and football. JMU is closer to home and just won the D1AA Championship. W&M offers a great education and his buddy Riley Fox just committed there.

Good things either way. 7 Spartans have an opportunity for '18 & 5 for '19. Spartans are getting noticed now with a couple of D1 players, & 12 D1AA players in the last 9 years!

Salem had 7 in one year and may get 7 again next year with Quinn, Tucker, Wade, Ramsey, Owen, Craft, and Mundy (All started as Sophomores)

5 possible the following year with Close, Richardson, Robinson, Britton, and Cardwell. (3 started as Sophomores this year with Close and Robinson they were in loaded positions at DE & RB and didn't start but should this year)

And others could have breakout years as well the next 2 years & get some looks as well.

Some may choose education over football as Braxton Wall did last year, choosing D3 W&L over lesser academic institutions at the D1AA level where he had offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: one man
Shows you what playing a great state chamionship game can get you... Probably pushed him over the edge in terms of recruiting. Congrats to him and Salem fans!

Shows you what playing a great state chamionship game can get you... Probably pushed him over the edge in terms of recruiting. Congrats to him and Salem fans!

Where in the world have you been, my friend? You sure have been keeping a low profile. I trust you are doing well?

Have you been to watch your girls and boys play a little basketball?

Where in the world have you been, my friend? You sure have been keeping a low profile. I trust you are doing well?

Have you been to watch your girls and boys play a little basketball?

@DinwiddieProud what's up bud! Yeah we got some good basketball. I honestly believe our girls are the best in the country. I saw them play against NAtional Christian Academy. They are the real deal. Been busy with work / traveling every week since the new year. I hope things are well in Dinwiddie land!

@shauntclair playing well on a major stage against premuim competition has no effect on recruiting??? That is a interesting take!

@DinwiddieProud what's up bud! Yeah we got some good basketball. I honestly believe our girls are the best in the country. I saw them play against NAtional Christian Academy. They are the real deal. Been busy with work / traveling every week since the new year. I hope things are well in Dinwiddie land!

@shauntclair playing well on a major stage against premuim competition has no effect on recruiting??? That is a interesting take!
DI football recruiting is essentially over is in September of a player's Senior year. If you actually knew anything about recruiting, this would be common knowledge for you.

It does not mean completely over. There are some late offers and there are teams like VMI that can't lock in anybody by September. Teams like UVA and VT have just about their 25 player limit committed by then. But offers after that are rare.

DI football recruiting is essentially over is in September of a player's Senior year. If you actually knew anything about recruiting, this would be common knowledge for you.

It does not mean completely over. There are some late offers and there are teams like VMI that can't lock in anybody by September. Teams like UVA and VT have just about their 25 player limit committed by then. But offers after that are rare.

So you are saying your play during your senior year is irrelevant? Maybe in the case of obvious D1 talent. I think great performances can push athletes on the cusp over the edge. A good friend of mine got on va tech's radar after one of our playoff games his Sr year. They had never blinked at him before tht game.

You don't think W&M had people watching the state championship game on their own home field???

So you are saying your play during your senior year is irrelevant? Maybe in the case of obvious D1 talent. I think great performances can push athletes on the cusp over the edge. A good friend of mine got on va tech's radar after one of our playoff games his Sr year. They had never blinked at him before tht game.

You don't think W&M had people watching the state championship game on their own home field???
Yes, Senior year is essentially irrelevant. In the race to get recruits, offers have come earlier and earlier. During Senior year, recruiters #1 concern is to keep their selections committed up to National Signing day. It has been this way for many years now.

That doesn't mean Seniors don't get offers but comparatively speaking, they are very rare.

Your friend went on VTs radar after a playoff game. Did he get an offer? You should also check the recruiting databases. Schools like VT and UVA usually have 90 - 100 offers out there well before September. They can only take 25. Schools are already well past Senior players. They already know who they're trying to get. Can't can't waste time backtracking for late bloomers.

Of course W&M checked out the Championship games. They also had a list of Sophomores and Juniors they wanted to evaluate.

Yeah one did. It was actually 2 of them. One was a lineman who got an offer. The other ended up being academically ineligible. I think va tech sent him to Fork union for a year but he eneded up, without giving you a long story playing at another school. I get it though 95% of the time decisions are already made. No disagreement there.. i think a great senior season can raise your profile if your on the cusp.

Reactions: shauntclair
Either choice would be great for education and football. JMU is closer to home and just won the D1AA Championship. W&M offers a great education and his buddy Riley Fox just committed there.

Good things either way. 7 Spartans have an opportunity for '18 & 5 for '19. Spartans are getting noticed now with a couple of D1 players, & 12 D1AA players in the last 9 years!

Salem had 7 in one year and may get 7 again next year with Quinn, Tucker, Wade, Ramsey, Owen, Craft, and Mundy (All started as Sophomores)

5 possible the following year with Close, Richardson, Robinson, Britton, and Cardwell. (3 started as Sophomores this year with Close and Robinson they were in loaded positions at DE & RB and didn't start but should this year)

And others could have breakout years as well the next 2 years & get some looks as well.

Some may choose education over football as Braxton Wall did last year, choosing D3 W&L over lesser academic institutions at the D1AA level where he had offers.

Didn't Braxton get an offer from W&M? Is that now considered a "lesser academic institution"? Maybe they didn't offer him - I honestly don't know. Just seeking clarification.

Didn't Braxton get an offer from W&M? Is that now considered a "lesser academic institution"? Maybe they didn't offer him - I honestly don't know. Just seeking clarification.
He would have gladly taken an offer from W&M, I believe they only offered walk on status. He received a full academic scholarship to W&L ($60k yr) I believe.

He could have gone anywhere academically, but chose W&L because it's a quality education that also allowed him to play right away. Football is serious, but he's focused down the road on being an Orthopedic Dr.

He had the size and talent to play at a D1AA level, but found a better fit for himself in D3 at a great historic university in a cool little college town near historic VMI.

Homecooking is only 45 minutes away as well! His parents love to attend the games and are big fans of Salem and W&L.

W&M would probably have been his #1 though.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
No way W&M is a lesser Academic institution. But you better have a 3.8 or better, high SATs and lots of extra curricular stuff before you even consider applying there or your application goes straight to the trash.

The competition is incredibly strong in the classroom. Of course, the football players get some clear slack. Very, very few can hang with the rest of the students based on academics alone. But this is true of almost any institution.

Bottom line is, W&M and UVA are the top two academic institutions in VA.

Life is good down her in Dinwiddie. Like you, insanely busy. I have not made a single boy's or girl's game yet. But, that will change next week. (At least, that's my plan.)

I got to see your girls and Megan Walker last year when they came to Dinwiddie. Unfortunately, they were drawing on an unarmed man. So I didn't get to see them really play to their capabilities. Also last year, I met my buddy Springers down at Prince George when his girls came down. That was about the same. Pretty one sided. So I at least got to see two of the premier girls teams in the state last year.

Our guys have begun to play much better, with the addition of several football players. I don't think we can make it to the states, but we won't be an easy out during the playoffs either. Time will tell.

BTW, I assume that the "Fluud" gal on the basketball team is your QB's sister?

Like almost everyone on this ole forum, I'm about ready for some football. How about you?

Life is good down her in Dinwiddie. Like you, insanely busy. I have not made a single boy's or girl's game yet. But, that will change next week. (At least, that's my plan.)

I got to see your girls and Megan Walker last year when they came to Dinwiddie. Unfortunately, they were drawing on an unarmed man. So I didn't get to see them really play to their capabilities. Also last year, I met my buddy Springers down at Prince George when his girls came down. That was about the same. Pretty one sided. So I at least got to see two of the premier girls teams in the state last year.

Our guys have begun to play much better, with the addition of several football players. I don't think we can make it to the states, but we won't be an easy out during the playoffs either. Time will tell.

BTW, I assume that the "Fluud" gal on the basketball team is your QB's sister?

Like almost everyone on this ole forum, I'm about ready for some football. How about you?

Yeah tht is Syour sister. He isn't even playing bball this year. Wrestling... go figure. Yeah ready for some football. Wasn't pleased with how our season ended in 2016 obviously. We should be good this year. Maybe our best yet. I will have to wait and see. I sure hope so! We have yet to hoist tht state trophy so the hunger is real! Hopefully you'll have to come to our place this year. :)

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT