ADVERTISEMENT

Non Standard Relief Items Needed?

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
I’m posting this to the Class 1 and 2 threads because there are a lot more schools in these classes in SWV than elsewhere across the state.

There are an untold number of people putting together relief efforts for our neighbors in the affected areas of VA and NC. Today, my wife learned of a neighbor that was loading a trailer and headed to Damascus soon. She had read that some things get overlooked when considering what to send. A couple of items she saw that were needed where flat point shovels and heavy garden rakes. Also, 5 gallon plastic buckets. So she bought a bunch of these items and took them to our neighbor.

This brought me to ask you folks that are most closely associated with the disaster, what is needed that is being overlooked. Suggest it here and I’ll spread the word.

Thank you.

Liam McPoyle

Posted ...
I found this:
Some items needed after a flood in Damascus, VA include:
Food and water: Non-perishable food, canned goods, shelf-stable foods, and bottled water
Household items: Blankets, towels, sheets, and other household items
Baby items: Infant formula, breastfeeding supplies, and diapers
Pet items: Cat food and dog food
Cleaning supplies: Bleach wipes and bleach
Electronics: Mobile phone, charger, torch, batteries, radio, and camera
First aid: First aid kit
Medical supplies: Prescriptions and medical supplies and equipment
Personal hygiene items: Wash kit
Transportation fuel: Fuel for transportation
Donations can be dropped off at the old Family Dollar building at 744 N. Beaverdam Avenue in Damascus. Cash donations can be made to the United Way of Southwest Virginia's Disaster Relief Fund.

Not Damascus specific, but thinking back to when we got hit in '77, here's what I would want now...
"pocket snacks" that you can eat while wearing gloves.... slim jims, fruit bars, bananas, "nabs", fun-size non-melty - like Skittles, Gatorade, H. Punch
Plastic storage tubs, unwanted coolers, throw-away/picnic cups,
"shelf-stable" milk, 'fast' food like Spam, Beanie Weenies, Fruit Loops, plastic cutlery, Zip-Lock bags, carry-out boxes
Plastic sheeting/tarps, cheap rubber over-shoe "boots", socks,
old sweaters, long johns, pocket heat packets (it's mid 40's right now )
When Hurley almost got washed away about 20 years ago, the long-term plea was for more cleaning supplies - mops, brooms, buckets, bleach, detergent, Dawn, Pine-Sol, garbage bags, disposable gloves, liquid soap, hand sanitizer, paper towels (and I'll add air freshener spray & face masks).
RAGS GALORE - old clothes, towels, etc.
stuff for kids - stuffed animals, unwanted fidget spinners, snack-size candy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT