ADVERTISEMENT

Northumberland / Essex

Malcolm Lewis and Todd Jones are the reason why the game wasnt switched.

Your source is wrong as well.

A date/time changes requires an agreement from both schools and Essex was against it.

I know for a fact that Malcolm
Lewis was the one, not Northumberland, who initiated the change to a Friday game.

Last edited:
Your source is wrong as well.

A date/time changes requires an agreement from both schools and Essex was against it.

I know for a fact that Malcolm
Lewis was the one, not Northumberland, who initiated the change to a Friday game.

Makes sense to me, NHS supported the move to Friday, of course- the Region lost tons of money at the gate, NHS lost the concession money.

Essex did what they had to do to have a chance to defeat NHS. I understand it.

I thought we discussed this a few weeks ago and someone said that the host school sets the game time through regional championship with VHSL dictating schedule for semi finals and finals

Reactions: MT FAN 91
I thought we discussed this a few weeks ago and someone said that the host school sets the game time through regional championship with VHSL dictating schedule for semi finals and finals

In the NND (well I guess Region A), the host school and opponent in the playoffs must agree to any changes to the schedule. The Region wanted it switched to save the gate - Northumberland wanted it switched to win the game - I do not blame Essex for not wanting to play Northumberland in dry conditions.

So no change could be made according to the region A by-laws (is that correct, peck_7?)

How so? Unless someone bumped their head there is no way Northumberland wanted to play in slop. It completely takes them out of their most effect plays. I would argue Essex may not have wanted to play in it either though but it would certainly benefited them on paper more. In the end I don’t think either team gained a tremendous advantage. But someone knows who put the halt to it moving and unless the regions have given control to the VHSL, they didn’t have a say in it.

Recap

NHS-wanted to move the game
Malcolm Lewis called NHS about the move
Todd Jones/Essex-didnt stop the move

Game still played on Sat in the Rain....Am I the only one who finds this funny???

Essex won so lets celebrate that but Todd & Malcolm were responsible for not switching. Be a man about it, if you didnt want to just say it Todd

Essex would have won in dry conditions. This is not the same Essex team the Indians beat early in the season. I knew weather was gonna become an excuse if the Indians lost. You got 2-5 fast players on Nland compared to 10-15 or more on essex. Not every game is gonna be a beautiful 70 degrees and sunshining day.

Both teams had a high risk of injuries in this game. Luckily I didn't see anybody injured. I highly doubt any team in the state would want to play in these conditions but it is what it is.

Essex would have won in dry conditions. This is not the same Essex team the Indians beat early in the season. I knew weather was gonna become an excuse if the Indians lost. You got 2-5 fast players on Nland compared to 10-15 or more on essex. Not every game is gonna be a beautiful 70 degrees and sunshining day.

Both teams had a high risk of injuries in this game. Luckily I didn't see anybody injured. I highly doubt any team in the state would want to play in these conditions but it is what it is.

Good luck man. I hope that the game v Riverheads is like the one in 2017.

(and not the one in 2016.......)

Reactions: RappriverEHS
This is comical.
Football is played in the weather. Northumberland has had 2 good seasons in a row but every time it's close or the Indians lose there are a thousand excuses about the weather, schedule, or something else.

I don't remember who said it but the last 2 weeks of the season when everyone was moving to Saturday or Thursday, someone on here said people would regret it in the playoffs because you have to play in the weather. Northumberland moved or got moved both of those games to dry dates and we're the only team in region A to move their first round game to a dry date.

Everyone plays on the same surface. Slow guys don't get faster and fast guys get slow because it's wet. If they really had 0 yards passing and Palmer had 40 yards then that sounds more like scheme than weather.

Reactions: Essex Trojan1
This is comical.
Football is played in the weather. Northumberland has had 2 good seasons in a row but every time it's close or the Indians lose there are a thousand excuses about the weather, schedule, or something else.

I don't remember who said it but the last 2 weeks of the season when everyone was moving to Saturday or Thursday, someone on here said people would regret it in the playoffs because you have to play in the weather. Northumberland moved or got moved both of those games to dry dates and we're the only team in region A to move their first round game to a dry date.

Everyone plays on the same surface. Slow guys don't get faster and fast guys get slow because it's wet. If they really had 0 yards passing and Palmer had 40 yards then that sounds more like scheme than weather.

Thanks for your comments. I respect all thoughts.

However, your lack of understanding of how certain game variables (in this case severe weather conditions) impact teams with radically different styles of play and how these weather variables can effect the outcome of competitive contests is well.... quite interesting.

You also proved your own theory wrong in the exact same post.

You stated that severe weather does not impact a passing team over a team that does not pass the ball at all- then gave factual examples of how it does indeed impact games- that's what I find comical.

Reactions: Jdavis54
Thanks for your comments. I respect all thoughts.

However, your lack of understanding of how certain game variables (in this case severe weather conditions) impact teams with radically different styles of play and how these weather variables can effect the outcome of competitive contests is well.... quite interesting.

You also proved your own theory wrong in the exact same post.

You stated that severe weather does not impact a passing team over a team that does not pass the ball at all- then gave factual examples of how it does indeed impact games- that's what I find comical.

What factual example did I give?
Zero yards passing is critical of the play calling not the weather.
I said scheme because I wasnt at this particular game and I don't want to be overly critical of the coaches at Northumberland because they've done a great job over the past 2 years.
Get dry ball in there and throw something short to your best athlete. #3 having 40 yards is a mistake on the guys calling the offense. Teams throw in the rain all the time if that's what they're going to do primarily. If it's what you do, practice in the conditions, simulate the conditions beforehand. Use dry footballs.
You also go on earlier in the season about how they don't have to pass because they have a good running back and a good run game. You can't go on about how good your run game, QB, receivers and how you have more than Palmer and then blame the weather when you don't win.

What factual example did I give?
Zero yards passing is critical of the play calling not the weather.
I said scheme because I wasnt at this particular game and I don't want to be overly critical of the coaches at Northumberland because they've done a great job over the past 2 years.
Get dry ball in there and throw something short to your best athlete. #3 having 40 yards is a mistake on the guys calling the offense. Teams throw in the rain all the time if that's what they're going to do primarily. If it's what you do, practice in the conditions, simulate the conditions beforehand. Use dry footballs.
You also go on earlier in the season about how they don't have to pass because they have a good running back and a good run game. You can't go on about how good your run game, QB, receivers and how you have more than Palmer and then blame the weather when you don't win.
Easier said than done ! jmo

I dont have a dog in this fight but I would love to have seen what happened in this game under dry field conditions. Would have liked to have seen if Essex could have made the necessary adjustments from the 1st game to win this one on a dry track or if Northumberland could have pulled off the win again with that passing game. I realize both teams have to play in it but some teams are suited for adverse weather more than others not to mention the fans have to sit out in the mess too. Kinda of a bummer for all involved including the refs.

I read through these threads all the time but I rarely post anything or commit but I wanted to make a point here for the NHS fans. A few years back Essex hosted Gretna in the state-semi finals. Essex had an outstanding QB that year throwing up some crazy numbers. On the day of the game the weather was as bad as any I can remember sitting through for a football game. There was no throwing or kicking the football. The wind would blow the ball into the stands. Cold, rain, snow, sleet mix... mud bowl. Essex coach Todd Jones took his QB out of the game and used his running back to run the offense. Changed his game plan completely to deal with the weather. Essex won that game. My point being, teams that win championships find ways to win no madder what the weather conditions are.

I read through these threads all the time but I rarely post anything or commit but I wanted to make a point here for the NHS fans. A few years back Essex hosted Gretna in the state-semi finals. Essex had an outstanding QB that year throwing up some crazy numbers. On the day of the game the weather was as bad as any I can remember sitting through for a football game. There was no throwing or kicking the football. The wind would blow the ball into the stands. Cold, rain, snow, sleet mix... mud bowl. Essex coach Todd Jones took his QB out of the game and used his running back to run the offense. Changed his game plan completely to deal with the weather. Essex won that game. My point being, teams that win championships find ways to win no madder what the weather conditions are.
Its very hard to win with a 1 trick pony.

Well said.

I was at that classic football game - The Ice Mud Bowl game for the eventual title. It is one of my favorite football games of all time.

Gretna at Essex (it was the state semi game but everyone knew it was the true State Championship).

Essex destroyed Radford the next week in Salem (hey, Radford is still in the 2A playoffs this year).

Essex won that one by 8 points as well (Gretna was stopped at the half yard line to win the game). Classic.

Essex did win it indeed in the worst elements I have ever seen as well.

Essex won at Northumberland this past Saturday. No one disputes that.

Last edited:
There are some major differences though in the two big games.

Essex and Gretna had many offensive skill players and both teams had to totally change styles in 2009.

This year - Essex played its normal game with power running in the muddy lake. Northumberland had to play a dramatically different style of play.

Essex won in those conditions. They did the right thing in playing on Saturday. No controversy.

Essex D held.

NHS went into the red zone 5 times (came away with 6 points). The game was played with Palmer an average player.

The muddy lake turned NHS star Delvin Palmer, who is one of the most dynamic and explosive players I have seen in the NND in the last 20 years (and I have seen them all), into a totally average player.

The top NND QB had no impact on the game.

Feel free to ask CB and WP if they think that their games may have turned out differently if they did not have to face NHS at it's strength.

It is what it is. Essex won fair and square. Well done. No one blames them for the decision. I would have made the exact same call in that situation.

Good luck to Essex and the NND next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: loyal2thesoil
I think Mike Stevenson might reject that lol. He's got to be missing his basketball boys. Ain't used to playing football this deep into a season. Northumberland boys are supposed to play their first game tonight.

@uvacavs1 can Essex borrow Palmer for this week's game? Lol

lol I believe that thought has also crossed my mind ha

I would love it if NHS could loan y'all Palmer and maybe QB1 Mason Adams as well.

Man, Dameron and Palmer and Company v the Riverheads Dynasty....

hmmm....in that case, the odds just might shift.

Even the great Riverheads Coach Casto could not find the answer to win that challenge :)

Reactions: RappriverEHS
I think Mike Stevenson might reject that lol. He's got to be missing his basketball boys. Ain't used to playing football this deep into a season. Northumberland boys are supposed to play their first game tonight.

agreed ha

this happens to Essex all the time in basketball

Are we able to recruit players that are knocked out of the playoffs now? Lol, I can think of a few I would take. Tell you what, since the two I want play for 2A schools, let’s agree Essex gets 3 players? Deal?

Nope - Riverheads can pick any players from Region B (Class 1A)

Essex gets two picks from the NND - Class 1A

Sounds fair to me - heck Riverheads got a free pass to the State Semis already - I think I said that at least two years ago.

Are we able to recruit players that are knocked out of the playoffs now? Lol, I can think of a few I would take. Tell you what, since the two I want play for 2A schools, let’s agree Essex gets 3 players? Deal?

Obviously, we are just having a little fun, but as things stand now, I for one, would take that deal for sure.

If I go by the parameters I set forth, I would in fact take Rivenburg but go a different direction with the second one and take Coby Rothgab as the second. Lawler is certainly a good choice but I like the vision Rothgab runs with. He would work well within the system in G’ville.

As to taking players from just Region B 1A as prescribed by my friend uvacavs. I would take the LB #55 from Altavista (sorry for not remembering the young mans name) and RB Jordan Young #10 from William Campbell.

Obviously, we are just having a little fun, but as things stand now, I for one, would take that deal for sure.

Since it is just fun, why not just use Shenandoah vs NND, but take out East Rockingham since they are still playing and were the best team (and many think best team in 2a). That would give you a great picture of these all star game lineups. Taking out the best team should even out the fact most Shenandoah teams are 2a, minus Riverheads and Stonewall

Reactions: uvacavs1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT