ADVERTISEMENT

Northumberland up on Essex

Northumberland has a couple different play makers but not enough to beat riverheads but just to make things interesting

Well said.
I would say as of now - Riverheads would be 14 to 21 point favorites over anyone in the state right now, maybe more.

Agree with that except Chilhowie. I've bought into Chilhowie. Looking at Hudl stuff and scores, I think they are within 10 of Riverheads. I know, you can't compare scores to get an accurate assessment, but Virginia High (2A) lost 5A Tennessee High which is 6-2 on the season by a score of 42-21. Chilhowie pummeled Virginia High 37-7. Last year, Virginia High lost by 14 points to Tennessee High, yet they beat Chilhowie by 20 points. What I'm saying is, Chilhowie is way, way, way better than last year by a bunch. If you look at their scores with common opponents from last year and this year, the difference is alarming......I'm talking about 25 points in difference with each game on average.

Two other quick examples. Chilhowie lost to Marion (2A) by 5 points and lost to George Wythe by 3 points last year. This year, they beat George Wythe by 39 points and beat Marion by 27 points. Again, hard to compare scores to assess a team, but when EVERY SCORE (multiple ones from different teams) is assessed, it's obvious that they are 3 TD's better then what they were last year.

Agree with that except Chilhowie. I've bought into Chilhowie. Looking at Hudl stuff and scores, I think they are within 10 of Riverheads. I know, you can't compare scores to get an accurate assessment, but Virginia High (2A) lost 5A Tennessee High which is 6-2 on the season by a score of 42-21. Chilhowie pummeled Virginia High 37-7. Last year, Virginia High lost by 14 points to Tennessee High, yet they beat Chilhowie by 20 points. What I'm saying is, Chilhowie is way, way, way better than last year by a bunch. If you look at their scores with common opponents from last year and this year, the difference is alarming......I'm talking about 25 points in difference with each game on average.

Two other quick examples. Chilhowie lost to Marion (2A) by 5 points and lost to George Wythe by 3 points last year. This year, they beat George Wythe by 39 points and beat Marion by 27 points. Again, hard to compare scores to assess a team, but when EVERY SCORE (multiple ones from different teams) is assessed, it's obvious that they are 3 TD's better then what they were last year.
I have no doubt Chilhowie is better this year but at the same time could teams like GW and Marion be worse than they were last year?

Reactions: Baseball215
Some, yes. Not all of them. Marion and Virginia do seem to have taken a step back. GW has not. Chilhowie is for real.

It is fun for sure to attempt to look ahead - yes, Chilhowie sounds for real indeed. No one doubts that they are really strong, just are they good enough to defeat Riverheads? How about Galax?

I hope that they are - of course, I hope that Chilhowie makes it and plays a Region A team instead of Riverheads (yes, I realize Riverheads will be favored against the Region A representative.)

It is fun for sure to attempt to look ahead - yes, Chilhowie sounds for real indeed. No one doubts that they are really strong, just are they good enough to defeat Riverheads? How about Galax?

I hope that they are - of course, I hope that Chilhowie makes it and plays a Region A team instead of Riverheads (yes, I realize Riverheads will be favored against the Region A representative.)
I like Riverheads a lot. They are the local team I watch the most. I'm ready to see a Chilhowie vs. Essex/Numberland/CB/Rappahannock/Franklin championship though.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Some, yes. Not all of them. Marion and Virginia do seem to have taken a step back. GW has not. Chilhowie is for real.
I have no doubt they're for real and they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Forget about it. Essex, C. Beach, Rapp, and even Franklin...….no contest for the Red bunch. The folks out west may be right, if any team can make it close, it will be Chilhowie in the state title game. Most knew the state title game last year was the semifinals in the East. This year, that's opposite. The state title game will actually be the state title game and the closest game in the playoffs for the Redheads.

On the surface, yes, Riverheads looks too powerful and they may be.

However, one only has to study recent history to discover a possible blueprint/battle plan for upsetting the well-oiled machine known simply as the Red Team.

Of course, you have to have some clever coaching and the proper personnel and use them correctly plus catch a few breaks.

Point is it may be daunting - but all is not lost just yet for Region A -

Last edited:
Back to the Northumberland upset of Essex last night - unless you have experience in turning around a down trodden sports or business program - it is difficult for some to maybe realize the great job NHS Coach Lewis and his staff have done with the Indian Football program.

Plus, their players have bought in as well which is not always an easy task.

Last night, a few key points in the victory -

1) NHS had 0 turnovers (used to have many a game)

2) While NHS did have some penalties, it was very few penalties called on the Indians last night compared to early games this season and the last couple years

3) Swagger and attitude - even when Essex went up 8-0 or NHS lost the ball on those weird onside kicks, NHS responded with ferocity in D (sacks) or big O plays by different players. The last few seasons - NHS caved when faced with adversity.

Reactions: dringtuoti
Seems like most people on here think Chilhowie is a lock to represent the west in Salem this year and they may very well be but i wouldn't count Galax out just yet, when they're firing on all cylinders they are better than last year and seem to be much faster over all. Coach from Glenvar said this year's team was best team they had played from Galax. As of late they seem to be in a lull but if they get it together come playoff time they can give Chilhowie a run for their money. Time will tell.

Great job to Northumberland, the door is open in the NN. When was the last time Essex wasn't the NN champ or co-champ? Fulks first year???

I believe cb won it a couple of years ago 15' or 16' I believe.

CB went 5-0 in the NND in 2016 to win the conference (lost big to Riverheads in playoffs). That was Coach Fulks last year at Essex. Fulks' 1st year in 2011, Essex struggled as well, had like the only losing season in the last few decades (however, Essex had collapsed from the coaching changes the year before).

Now from 2012 to 2014, Essex was insanely good under Fulks, losing in the State Title game all three years, Goochland and Thornhill twice (who said one man plus a fairly strong team cannot win state titles?). 2015 Essex lost in State semis to Galax. The same year Riverheads got upset by Dixon and Company in Salem.....

Reactions: Jdavis54
This has been an interesting topic to follow as the comments pile up. There are several things that are clear. One, this was a very good win for Northumberland and they are a legit contender not only in Region A but to get to Salem. Two, apparently there are only 5 teams in the race for a championship according to the talk on here today(Chilhowie, Galax, Riverheads, Franklin, and Northumberland). Three, anyone with speed will beat the Red Team convincingly because we don’t play but one team that has that (East Rock) and we lost.

At least these have been the sentiments that are most repeated.
I will say I feel the Red Team is good but they still have a lot to prove down the stretch on whether they are ring worthy. And I would suspect that most other teams are in similar shoes if they were being honest in that they are good but still not at playoff level play just yet.

We all see it every year across sports where a team puts it all together at the right time and obliterates the competition. I am glad to see so many supporting their teams and I hope most understand that by definition we are all fanatics that have altered views of our own team.

Getting back in topic, this was a good win for the Indians and goes a long ways in placing them in a position to compete for and potentially win in the playoffs. Good luck to all the teams mentioned as the season begins the wind down and playoff jockeying begins.

This has been an interesting topic to follow as the comments pile up. There are several things that are clear. One, this was a very good win for Northumberland and they are a legit contender not only in Region A but to get to Salem. Two, apparently there are only 5 teams in the race for a championship according to the talk on here today(Chilhowie, Galax, Riverheads, Franklin, and Northumberland). Three, anyone with speed will beat the Red Team convincingly because we don’t play but one team that has that (East Rock) and we lost.

At least these have been the sentiments that are most repeated.
I will say I feel the Red Team is good but they still have a lot to prove down the stretch on whether they are ring worthy. And I would suspect that most other teams are in similar shoes if they were being honest in that they are good but still not at playoff level play just yet.

We all see it every year across sports where a team puts it all together at the right time and obliterates the competition. I am glad to see so many supporting their teams and I hope most understand that by definition we are all fanatics that have altered views of our own team.

Getting back in topic, this was a good win for the Indians and goes a long ways in placing them in a position to compete for and potentially win in the playoffs. Good luck to all the teams mentioned as the season begins the wind down and playoff jockeying begins.

Whether they lost or not, Riverheads isnt going to not show up or be ready for a team with speed. At this point in season, sure they may have only seen 1 team with speed, but they also have Central and Lee. I believe people are confusing Riverheads not being good with speed and that being their Achilles heel because they lost to ER. NO guys, they lost to ER because ER was better. If Riverheads is the clear favorite, then what do you think ER would do against these teams?

Let's look back at the last team that may or may not have been better that Riverheads that beat them, Galax. Galax didn't beat them with speed or passing, but by being physical and running.

Also, it is crazy that a thread about a great win has turned into a debate on Riverheads and others. And it is 40 some messages before Galax is brought up.

Let's not give anyone a championship ring or even a regional championship so early, a lot of things still to come and we see every year of "this team" has no chance, and yet that team wins. How about we let the ones that REALLY matter , the players and coaches, decide things instead of people on a message board who think they know.

Whether they lost or not, Riverheads isnt going to not show up or be ready for a team with speed. At this point in season, sure they may have only seen 1 team with speed, but they also have Central and Lee. I believe people are confusing Riverheads not being good with speed and that being their Achilles heel because they lost to ER. NO guys, they lost to ER because ER was better. If Riverheads is the clear favorite, then what do you think ER would do against these teams?

Let's look back at the last team that may or may not have been better that Riverheads that beat them, Galax. Galax didn't beat them with speed or passing, but by being physical and running.

Also, it is crazy that a thread about a great win has turned into a debate on Riverheads and others. And it is 40 some messages before Galax is brought up.

Let's not give anyone a championship ring or even a regional championship so early, a lot of things still to come and we see every year of "this team" has no chance, and yet that team wins. How about we let the ones that REALLY matter , the players and coaches, decide things instead of people on a message board who think they know.
Hit the nail on the head with this post..basically just let the boys play ref !

@Gunz41, I am with you on not giving anyone a championship. Fortunately it will all be settled on the field in Salem by the two teams that do what it takes to get there. Nothing more, nothing less

Need any more proof, it comes in the terms of Elon. Yes, that school that a lot of people have never heard of, and even less know where it is located just beat JMU

Reactions: MGF and Bama1985
Gunz you are right I remember Riverheads getting beat by King William and I didn’t think they were even close to Riverheads but they were on that night

Gunz you are right I remember Riverheads getting beat by King William and I didn’t think they were even close to Riverheads but they were on that night

We can agree or disagree on whether your team is better this year or last, even if they are 10 times better they can still lose.

I'll use an even bigger upset, ODU and VT. ODU was better that day, just like someone can be better than Riverheads, Galax, Chilhowie, Essex, Northumberland, Franklin, etc. If VT and ODU play 100 times, VT wins at least 95 times. Only has to happen once.

We can agree or disagree on whether your team is better this year or last, even if they are 10 times better they can still lose.

I'll use an even bigger upset, ODU and VT. ODU was better that day, just like someone can be better than Riverheads, Galax, Chilhowie, Essex, Northumberland, Franklin, etc. If VT and ODU play 100 times, VT wins at least 95 times. Only has to happen once.
That's what's great about football at all levels. We don't do best of 5 or best of 7 series. It's all in for every single game.

I’m with you on what you are saying all the way. I think they are better but doesn’t mean they will win it but they have an opportunity to and should be in discussion I think the five teams red pride named should all be in discussion along with William Campbell they will be battle tested also

I’m with you on what you are saying all the way. I think they are better but doesn’t mean they will win it but they have an opportunity to and should be in discussion I think the five teams red pride named should all be in discussion along with William Campbell they will be battle tested also

I'll still disagree, but neither here nor there lol

But I do hope you dont win a championship this year, but I hope it's none mentioned, I hope it is Stonewall Jackson lol

According to your stats odu would win 5 times

I think this is a fascinating thread - well done. I love to listen to everyone's opinions. Just a couple comments -

1) I am not sure where someone said that anyone with speed can defeat Riverheads (maybe the Franklin poster?). Hey, the man has bravado- not a bad trait to have in this game.

I stated Riverheads would be at least a 14 (if not more) point favorite right now against anyone in Class 1A.

2) I agree that all teams (definitely including Northumberland) still need lots of work and improvement to become playoff run ready!

3) As for the game plan to defeat Riverheads, the recent history I was referring to about was around three years ago devised by a 1A western team that is in the hunt again this year - Galax.

Obviously, one should study others as well.

That KW game was a shocker. KW was not nearly as good as Riverheads but was able to pull it off that night. And that's why they bother to play the game.

As for William Campbell, Riverheds will beat them by 40+ if they want.

WC may not even be in the top 5 NND teams....(out of 6).

West C and D - Chilhowie or Galax, Patrick Henry & Narrows as the wild card

B- Riverheads

A- Franklin, Northumberland, Essex, Rapp, CB, with West Point and W&L as the wild cards. Any of them could get hot and make a run.

State Final 4 in there.

That KW game was a shocker. KW was not nearly as good as Riverheads but was able to pull it off that night. And that's why they bother to play the game.

As for William Campbell, Riverheds will beat them by 40+ if they want.

WC may not even be in the top 5 NND teams....(out of 6).

Come on uvacavs, KW wasnt nearly as good as Riverheads, next sentence Riverheads can beat WC by 40 if they want.

The exact point I have been trying to make, any given night. It just looks bad to have total opposites in the same post lol

Come on uvacavs, KW wasnt nearly as good as Riverheads, next sentence Riverheads can beat WC by 40 if they want.

The exact point I have been trying to make, any given night. It just looks bad to have total opposites in the same post lol

Respect your thoughts as always but I stand by what I post as always.

1) KW was not expected to win - KW is my fav 2A team with Goochland. I can assure you most everyone in the East did not expect KW to go to Riverheads and win that game.

2) WC is not very good. Riverheads will destroy them. I am not sure what is funny about that. I hope WC can upset them but they have a 1-2% chance.

Respect your thoughts as always but I stand by what I post as always.

1) KW was not expected to win - KW is my fav 2A team with Goochland. I can assure you most everyone in the East did not expect KW to go to Riverheads and win that game.

2) WC is not very good. Riverheads will destroy them. I am not sure what is funny about that. I hope WC can upset them but they have a 1-2% chance.

Exactly what you just said again. Nobody expected them to win, yet they did. So it is not unheard of that it could happen this year.

I would say you are correct about WC isnt nearly as good as RH. But that one day is all that matters, i.e. KW or ODU or Elon.

The entire point is that sure RH would want to win, just like VT wanted to against ODU, but just want doesnt cut it. And in one of those days anything can happen.

No it's not funny that RH could beat them by 40, the funny part is the 2 complete opposites being posted in the same post. Saying KW wasnt nearly as good and next sentence saying RH can beat WC by 40 if they want. You don't see how that is contradictory?

West C and D - Chilhowie or Galax, Patrick Henry & Narrows as the wild card

B- Riverheads

A- Franklin, Northumberland, Essex, Rapp, CB, with West Point and W&L as the wild cards. Any of them could get hot and make a run.

State Final 4 in there.

Grundy may be better than PH, Fisher is a stud back but if you can stop the run you can beat Grundy.

I've seen quite a few of the Region D 1A teams, and none look close to Chilhowie right now. PH, Grundy, John I. Burton and maybe Thomas Walker or Eastside round out the top five, but Chilhowie looks 21 points better than any other Region D team. But it's still early and anything could happen.

but on the Marion point, they are WWAAAYYYYY worse than last year. Going from 8-9 wins to maybe winning three games and barely beat winless Gate City. They're terrible. Chilhowie smacking them around means very little. Beating VHS, GW and Burton by 30 is very impressive tho.

they play Patrick Henry in the next to last week of reg season, that should be a good gauge of Region D, and they finish with Holston. They should smash Rural Retreat this week and Eastside the week after.

Need any more proof, it comes in the terms of Elon. Yes, that school that a lot of people have never heard of, and even less know where it is located just beat JMU
My son went to the Elon prospect camp this past summer. All the Elon coaches and alumni talked about was Elon doing whatever it took to be the next JMU in FCS and their entire off season was all about preparing to beat JMU. We were at the game and JMU looked to underestimate Elon even with such a struggle the first half. It seemed by the time JMU realized Elon was for real, it was too late. And Elon never quit fighting. But the MRD sounded great!

Reactions: WP02alum
I think this is a fascinating thread - well done. I love to listen to everyone's opinions. Just a couple comments -

1) I am not sure where someone said that anyone with speed can defeat Riverheads (maybe the Franklin poster?). Hey, the man has bravado- not a bad trait to have in this game.

I stated Riverheads would be at least a 14 (if not more) point favorite right now against anyone in Class 1A.

2) I agree that all teams (definitely including Northumberland) still need lots of work and improvement to become playoff run ready!

3) As for the game plan to defeat Riverheads, the recent history I was referring to about was around three years ago devised by a 1A western team that is in the hunt again this year - Galax.

Obviously, one should study others as well.
Yeah I said riverheads secondary is suspect and i stand by that statement there front seven are studs but if you can get to the edge you can run on them I don't think nobody in 1A is going to run into the teeth of there defense but if you can put the ball in the air and give your qb a Lil time they are vulnerable. Ball control keep there offense on the bench.

Reactions: mmqp and WhudeyCHS
Yeah I said riverheads secondary is suspect and i stand by that statement there front seven are studs but if you can get to the edge you can run on them I don't think nobody in 1A is going to run into the teeth of there defense but if you can put the ball in the air and give your qb a Lil time they are vulnerable. Ball control keep there offense on the bench.

Thats the key to beating them. Easier said than done. Seems like Franklin is primed to give it a shot this year though.

I need our chip to get bigger the last time we played riverheads they were the underdog coming to the armory we underestimated them and they handled us although that was 2010 I think but if we do meet our boys will be ready to play.

Reactions: mmqp
Stats from Essex at Northumberland -

TDs for Essex - Dameron & Ashlock

TDs for NHS - Saunders, Palmer (2) Morris

NHS QB Adams went 12 out of 14 with 0 interceptions (Adams with a 74.2% completion rate on the season- that's bad a--)

Essex QB Ashlock went 7 of 20 with 1 interception

The Indians' Morris had 119 yards rushing on 11 carries.

Headline in Rapp Times was - Palmer Dazzles in 27-16 win. Northumberland Tops Essex.

Only 2nd NHS win over Essex since 1995.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT