ADVERTISEMENT

Northumberland v West Point scrimmage...

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
It is 78-80 degrees today, perfect, sunny, beautiful day in West Point, Heathsville, and right now in Tappahannock.

I see people having river fun as the summer starts to wane.

This can't be right but did I hear that West Point cancelled the scrimmage v Northumberland again...

LOL

I even called it over a week ago...wow, embarrassing....

Reactions: MGF and WP02alum
Wonder if it’s a thing where they “hope” to scrimmage, but for the second year in a row have decided the injury potential isn’t worth it. I agree that it’s disrespectful to waste Northumberland’s time like that, unless NHS also didn’t want to scrimmage for some reason. I’m assuming that’s not the case as uvacavs would know (I would think).

Reactions: uvacavs1 and MGF
Smh....please get some facts before assuming. Administration made the call because of field condition yesterday...there was a possibility of more rain late last night into this morning.

Reactions: takes11
Wasn't WP struggling last year to get adaqate kids to come out for football? Not that that isn't a problem all over the state these days. I just thought I remembered something along those lines.

A suggestion about scrimmages. Try to set up a three team scrimmage when you can. That way, for whatever the reason, if one team has to pull out, you don't lose a scrimmage. Another benefit is that if the host team has field problems, one of the order two may be able to host. This has worked out several times for the annual Dinwiddie, Bird, Henrico scrimmage. In fact, when rain and lightning forced the cancellation of this scrimmage Thursday night, Bird hosted the next day on their field.

Three teams also add an opportunity for the kids to see different offenses and defenses.

Wasn't WP struggling last year to get adaqate kids to come out for football? Not that that isn't a problem all over the state these days. I just thought I remembered something along those lines.

A suggestion about scrimmages. Try to set up a three team scrimmage when you can. That way, for whatever the reason, if one team has to pull out, you don't lose a scrimmage. Another benefit is that if the host team has field problems, one of the order two may be able to host. This has worked out several times for the annual Dinwiddie, Bird, Henrico scrimmage. In fact, when rain and lightning forced the cancellation of this scrimmage Thursday night, Bird hosted the next day on their field.

Three teams also add an opportunity for the kids to see different offenses and defenses.

Completely agree Dinwiddie!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Smh....please get some facts before assuming. Administration made the call because of field condition yesterday...there was a possibility of more rain late last night into this morning.
The cancelled scrimmage gave the entire WP varsity coaching staff the opportunity to scout Rappahannock @ Christchurch today. Not a single WP varsity coach showed up to scout RHS. WP plays RHS in 3 weeks. RHS is arguably the 2nd best team in the Tidewater District, behind KWHS and RHS is arguably the best team WP will face during the regular season. I would have thought the entire WP varsity staff would be there today considering they were already scheduled to be at a scrimmage today anyway.

Did Rappahannock change districts overnight? Lol. Could have sworn they were still in the NND

Reactions: 1a_Analyst
You agree it looks bad though, yes? Why not move it to NHS?
WP has been taking care of the field all offseason, and it would be useless to tear it up for the whole season. The scrimmage was Originally at NHS but they didn’t want to play on their field at the time either I heard because of how bad it looked after the playoff game last year between NHS and WP.

MGF you my friend must be a narcissist.
The cancelled scrimmage gave the entire WP varsity coaching staff the opportunity to scout Rappahannock @ Christchurch today. Not a single WP varsity coach showed up to scout RHS. WP plays RHS in 3 weeks. RHS is arguably the 2nd best team in the Tidewater District, behind KWHS and RHS is arguably the best team WP will face during the regular season. I would have thought the entire WP varsity staff would be there today considering they were already scheduled to be at a scrimmage today anyway.

MGF you my friend must be a narcissist.
You joined today. That means someone told you about a post and you came on here to comment anonymously. LOL. And your comment has absolute zero to do with the fact that the entire WP varsity staff chose not to scout an upcoming opponent. So instead of slinging a meaningless label, how about add value to the thread and explain why the coaches stayed in West Point on their day off?

Yep sure did join today, it doesn't take anyone to tell me something to get on here and read all of the BS from all the CNN and ESPNU reporters or all the crap from the couch coaches.But I have read enough of these to see and know that you are simply a narcissist, it's that plain and simple. I have no dog in this fight nor do I want one, but its childish and so immature the way you act. Grow up!

MGF may have self-serving reasons to dog on the WP coaches, but can you stay on-topic?

Surely you realize only a narcissist would derail a thread from its topic and contribute nothing in their very first post...

Reactions: MGF and uvacavs1
WP has been taking care of the field all offseason, and it would be useless to tear it up for the whole season. The scrimmage was Originally at NHS but they didn’t want to play on their field at the time either I heard because of how bad it looked after the playoff game last year between NHS and WP.

Nobody has a practice field to scrimmage on???

Reactions: MGF and uvacavs1
Couple questions?
Do coaches still exchange two game film a week prior to their matchup?
Have coaches started tipping their season plan in scrimmages?
Is there anyone on here from WP administration that can verify who makes the final decision for WP?
Wait scratch that last one it's nobody's damn business but the two A.D's. from the schools they represent!

Reactions: WP02alum
Hoooo, coming in hot! I mean, you’re right, I was just trying to be impartial because it has bad optics.

WP02alum - Yes, I have noticed you look at all sides of an issue, even ones where folks are usually biased.

I dislike Fox News and CNN and MSNBC. One is to the right, the other two are far left. Just give me the freaking news. Check out Michael Smerconish - best talking head out there. Neither right nor left, just smart.

If you the play the game of Chess, you may be a worthy opponent....

Reactions: WP02alum
Ha, I am an exceptionally bad chess player. But I appreciate the compliment! Yeah, I get pretty annoyed with the “two sides” perspective. There’s always way more than two possible points of view!

Reactions: uvacavs1
I thought the scrimmage was originally supposed to be at Northumberland. Oh well, things happen.
Two things I do know. People love to stir the pot whether they have a clue of what is going on or not and Daddy hate runs deep.
Good luck to everyone on the first week of the season. Now, I just need to pick what game I want to go see.

Reactions: 1a_Analyst
I thought the scrimmage was originally supposed to be at Northumberland. Oh well, things happen.
Two things I do know. People love to stir the pot whether they have a clue of what is going on or not and Daddy hate runs deep.
Good luck to everyone on the first week of the season. Now, I just need to pick what game I want to go see.

Lots of good opening games but many are away. I would definitely have chosen the W&L v Riverheads game over any of them, if they played anywhere this side of Richmond.

I may check out Coach Jones’s team as Sussex Central is at Essex. Best game close to me.

For those who may not know and because it may seem confusing who I pull for sometimes, even to me ha, (if you don’t care who I cheer for know that I don’t care either).

Northumberland, Rappahannock, Essex, and W&L are my fav teams. Then comes the rest of the NND and Tidewater. The only other teams I follow are KW, Goochland and Dinwiddie (I enjoy DP and some other posters who support them).

Oh, and I have no issue with WP at all. I used to know some great people there - not exactly sure what is going on there now, but not my fight so good luck.

@uvacavs1, might be worth the trip to G’ville to see this W&L matchup with the Gladiators. I for one can’t wait until 6:55P on Friday. Wish the matchup was later so everyone could get the full “show”, but the pads popping on a cool evening will set the world right again for another three and a half months. #RollPride

Reactions: uvacavs1
WP plays Rapp county this week.Thats who they should be concentrating on.One game at a time.one quarter at a time.....one play at a time. Stop worrying so much about what WP does and doesn't do.Just be supportive of ALL of the players on ALL of the team's....wish them a fun and injury free season.

And there were a couple WP coaches at the scrimmage....just because YOU didn't see them doesn't mean they weren't there.lol

WP plays Rapp county this week.Thats who they should be concentrating on.One game at a time.one quarter at a time.....one play at a time. Stop worrying so much about what WP does and doesn't do.Just be supportive of ALL of the players on ALL of the team's....wish them a fun and injury free season.

That’s a great approach for the players, but as alums & fans, we get to have a conversation. If you don’t like the spotlight, you’re coaching the wrong sport!

Reactions: MGF

ehhhh.....I certainly see where you are going with this and many fans do cross the line...Sportsmanship is very important and players and opponents should respect each other and show some class etc.

However, the Parks and Rec and Y days are over....the carefree days of win less teams getting trophies are done, my friend.

This is Varsity high school sports and, thankfully for now at least, the goal is still to compete and to win.

"I love football. I think football is the last bastion of hope for toughness in America in men."

Jim Harbaugh - Head Coach / Michigan Wolverines

Wow...thanks for clearing that up.....whatever it was. Lol.Again, wishing all the players and coaches a fun and injury free season.

You are certainly most welcome! I see you that are just a very positive person! Wonderful.

My apologies if I misunderstood many of your posts’ meaning - I thought that you were pushing some type new age thinking in sports (a California type progressive mentality - no keeping score, everyone should have fun and get trophies regardless of talent, safe spaces where no one has to think critically or be challenged in any way etc, little Johnny gets to play no matter what, who cares if you win.)

Yes, I hope it is a fun, exciting and very competitive season and teams can stay as injury free as possible as well.

Last edited:
Couple questions?
Do coaches still exchange two game film a week prior to their matchup?
Have coaches started tipping their season plan in scrimmages?
Is there anyone on here from WP administration that can verify who makes the final decision for WP?
Wait scratch that last one it's nobody's damn business but the two A.D's. from the schools they represent!

Why were you and your entire varsity staff and several starting players at last year's CCS v RHS scrimmage when you were the WP HC? Why was it important for you to have nearly your entire team there last year but now you make excuses or the new HC?

Why did the HC and AD confer to cancel the scrimmage on Friday BEFORE it started to rain?

Where was the HC on Saturday instead of at his own scheduled scrimmage vs NHS?

If the HC could not be at his own scrimmage on Saturday (because he chose to go to his son's D3 scrimmage on Saturday instead), then why were his very capable paid assistant coaches not at the CCS v RHS scrimmage in his absence?

If the entire team was scheduled to scrimmage NHS on Saturday at noon, and that was canceled on Friday at 7:00 pm, then why were there no players at the CCS v RHS scrimmage on Saturday at 10:00?

Bottom line: You set the standard on your coaches and players going to scrimmages when you were coach, but now you defend a lower standard.

And there were a couple WP coaches at the scrimmage....just because YOU didn't see them doesn't mean they weren't there.lol
The only WP coach at the scrimmage was the paid JV HC. Unless someone was hiding in their car.

MGF may have self-serving reasons to dog on the WP coaches, but can you stay on-topic?

Surely you realize only a narcissist would derail a thread from its topic and contribute nothing in their very first post...

You are correct on all accounts. I did not start this thread on WP. Yet, 804balling employed the middle school tactic of name calling to me instead of the two OPs on this thread.

Yes, my posts are on topic (and factual). I don't post unless I already know the answer. It is obvious the truth caused "the hit dog to bark".

Nobody has a practice field to scrimmage on???
WP has a practice field and it is in good shape. WP has used their practice field for scrimmages in the past when the game field was being worked on. The scrimmage was cancelled by WP before it rained Friday night. The WP HC went to his son's D3 scrimmage on Saturday. The entire varsity staff and most of WP's starters attended last year's CCS v RHS scrimmage. This year they did not, even when their Saturday scrimmage was cancelled. Those are the facts. Everyone can draw their own conclusions.

MGF maybe you should worry about CC instead of WP. If you care so much about whats going on in WP you should of stayed there instead of ranting 4 straight post in a row like you have something to prove. If i had a son playing D3 football I might wanna go watch him play instead of talking about a school that I'm not apart of anymore but instead you wanna beat a dead horse. Leave it in the past and move forward quit worring about a team that you dont have a kid on and worry about his team. Makes you look like more of a you know what

Well......darn!!! I try to be positive when it comes to players and coaches and parents.Just move on....its very evident that for whatever reason, you don't like the WP HC. Your son isn't there anymore....you got what you want....i guess.So,let's just move on in life. It's all good....life goes on.Now..lets get ready for the opening Friday of high school football!!Good luck to EVERYONE this year!! Have fun and stay safe!!

Reactions: BIGBLAQ628
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT