ADVERTISEMENT

Not bad guys: Vegas,?

Good game to go to with Giles. VHSL-REFERENCE & Maxpreps considers them Salem, but they are Roanoke Co. Maybe if they win another championship Salemites will finally claim them?

Oh, I think that you can claim them all that you want but, from the people who I talked to, they want no more a part of you than you want of them.

Oh, I think that you can claim them all that you want but, from the people who I talked to, they want no more a part of you than you want of them.
It's a weird rivalry, we don't even play them. We do play all the other Roanoke Co schools. They even used to be combined into one school back when it was Andrew Lewis. I've lived here 10 years and I can't completely understand the odd relationship.

went to game at Glenvar which I am told is decidedly NOT Salem.

Yep, you were in Salem alright. :D

Nobody I know really claims them but we do enjoy them doing well since there's no mixed interests involved. When the Glenvar/Giles score was announced at the Salem game the crowd gave a solid cheer for Glenvar. If there's any problems it's on their end, not ours. But suffice it to say there's a lot of civic pride in this city and it's a one high school city so that may come off a certain way to some people.

A couple of years ago I very innocently made the reference of "Salem of Roanoke" to differentiate between the Salem in Tidewater. I'm still stinging from the rebuke.

Oh, Salem fans are cheering for Glenvar to win! We love our neighbors. The part kept separate is the city/county we reside in. Salem City is the true Salem. Glenvar area is not Salem, only in postal address. It is a part of Roanoke County. You don't live in Salem unless you live in Salem City! ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT