ADVERTISEMENT

Observations from Salem intrasquad scrimmage

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
#73 RT Thomas Mundy has injured his foot. (not exactly sure the nature of the injury) Speculation has him out several weeks (6-8 from now at least) If that's accurate he would miss around 3-5 games.

A couple of number changes to the roster:
#6 Logan Dennis FS/WR
#8, I think it's Josh Mutshipule Jr RB.
#9 Deangelo Ramsey RB/DE

There may be a lot of shuffling with the OL due to Mundy's injury. They had to do the same last year with multiple injuries to linemen. Hopefully there won't be that many injuries again this year. Last year probably had the most injuries of Magenbauer's tenure.

#73 RT Thomas Mundy has injured his foot. (not exactly sure the nature of the injury) Speculation has him out several weeks (6-8 from now at least) If that's accurate he would miss around 3-5 games.

A couple of number changes to the roster:
#6 Logan Dennis FS/WR
#8, I think it's Josh Mutshipule Jr RB.
#9 Deangelo Ramsey RB/DE

There may be a lot of shuffling with the OL due to Mundy's injury. They had to do the same last year with multiple injuries to linemen. Hopefully there won't be that many injuries again this year. Last year probably had the most injuries of Magenbauer's tenure.
That is the guy they were counting on most up front. Rough stuff.

Reactions: mike salem
Based on that injury and what Salem has back, I would say the Spartans are significantly challenged up front on both sides of the ball and vulnerable especially early in the year. Salem's offensive system needs great offensive line play.

Based on that injury and what Salem has back, I would say the Spartans are significantly challenged up front on both sides of the ball and vulnerable especially early in the year. Salem's offensive system needs great offensive line play.
I've heard he's having surgery this morning, I still don't know the exact nature or severity of the injury. I will post when I find out how he's doing. I certainly hope he's not done for the year. When you hear surgery it doesn't make you feel good about his prospects for the year. I hope this isn't like Jake Barnette from last season for Thomas' sake or the team's sake.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I've heard he's having surgery this morning, I still don't know the exact nature or severity of the injury. I will post when I find out how he's doing. I certainly hope he's not done for the year. When you hear surgery it doesn't make you feel good about his prospects for the year. I hope this isn't like Jake Barnette from last season for Thomas' sake or the team's sake.

What's this, three or four years in a row that a starting O-lineman has suffered a serious injury in the preseason? Was he injured during the scrimmage? Weird, and very unfortunate. However - all is not lost. Let's not all despair just yet.

How did the on-field play go? I got one text from a friend that the offense looked sharp. Any standouts? How about the D?

Lineplay will be the challenge but it has been for a few years running now. Embarrassment of riches is how the offense was described to me by a coach. Would definitely concur with that assessment. Beckley looks incredibly sharp.

Going to be very hard for anyone to keep up with them on the scoreboard until well late into the playoffs, I think.

What's this, three or four years in a row that a starting O-lineman has suffered a serious injury in the preseason? Was he injured during the scrimmage? Weird, and very unfortunate. However - all is not lost. Let's not all despair just yet.

How did the on-field play go? I got one text from a friend that the offense looked sharp. Any standouts? How about the D?
A lot of people looked good on offense so there are really too many to even begin to start praising a couple. Offense looks great, the only challenge I see is finding the right mix for the OL, especially now that Mundy is out for a good while.

I'll highlight the defense. Whoever was covering Tucker did a great job for the majority of the scrimmage. (I'm pretty sure it was Luke Owen)

They are fine. Mundy will be back late in season. One man don't make Salem football. Someone will bow up and get the job done.

A lot of people looked good on offense so there are really too many to even begin to start praising a couple. Offense looks great, the only challenge I see is finding the right mix for the OL, especially now that Mundy is out for a good while.

I'll highlight the defense. Whoever was covering Tucker did a great job for the majority of the scrimmage. (I'm pretty sure it was Luke Owen)
Luke could guard a two headed rattle snake

The OL will be fine. Kids stepped up last year and didn't miss a beat. If the injuries wouldn't have occurred last year, we would of seen LT-Bassford, LG-Staples, C-Herndon, RG-Barnett, RT-Wall. That OL would have been phenomenal, but kids stepped up like always and got the job done.

Nice opportunity to get a little look at players but just an organized, scripted, intrasquad scrimmage. Nothing to get too excited or disappointed about. Although the injury to Mundy is ashame. You have to feel for the kid. Wishing him the best.

But Salem has too much in reserve to worry about injury. The only ones that would have a major impact is if Noah or Ramsey went down. Those would produce some worry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT