ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Pass interference assessment

X-Spy

VaPreps All Region
May 31, 2002
I have read recaps of a play that happened in last nights Hylton vs. Battlefield game, and all people seem to agree to what happened, but none of seemed to know the rule (except one person).

What is the assessed penalty for an offensive pass interference penalty?

That is what was assessed, so I was sure that was right. I for one believe that is too harsh for that call. Luckily the team I generally cheer for as far as I know has never gotten that one called against them.

If I was a rules committee person (and thank goodness I am not too many I would be tempted to change). That would be one that would need changing.

Even in the pros it is only 10 yars, and no loss of down, and that seems good enough, but 15 yards and no loss of down would be a compromise.

There are some who agree with you but not enough to get the rule changed.

I don't have a problem with the rule. An intentional grounding call can be just as bad. The QB fades back 10 yards, is rushed and commits IG. 5 yard penalty from the spot and loss of down puts us in the exact same situation.

The loss of down on Intentional grounding makes sense. In fact not having it would make no sense as you are trying to avoid the loss. (I don;t care for the 5 yards part). However Pass interference, you are not avoiding a loss, you are trying to free yourself for a gain.

I like penetrates to be penalties, but not drive killers when you have 15 yards and a loss of down that is a drive killer, and is too costly.

But again it is the same for both teams. In this case It way over kill for both teams.

Originally posted by X-Spy:
However Pass interference, you are not avoiding a loss, you are trying to free yourself for a gain.

Not necessarily. You could also be trying to prevent an INT.
3dsmile.gif

OPI is also no different than a dead ball personal foul. It occurs after the down is over, so the down counts, then you mark off 15 yards. So let's say there's an incomplete pass on 1st down, followed by a late hit. Now, it's 2nd and 25.

OPI so rarely occurs, I don't know that we'll ever see this changed.

the play I am talking about the people said that the one offender threw a pick on the receiver as the other receiver came across, and caught the pass. It didn't happen after the play at all.

You are right though sometimes it would happen to prevent an interception.

As I said I have not seen one in years.

Originally posted by X-Spy:
the play I am talking about the people said that the one offender threw a pick on the receiver as the other receiver came across, and caught the pass. It didn't happen after the play at all..

I understand.

I was saying that a DB PF and OPI have the same end result.

The down counts and the team loses 15 yards.

Thanks guys at least I will know what I am seeing is accurate if I see an offensive pass interference even I disagree with the assessment, it is the rule.

Remember whenever you compare the pro rules to high school rules that the pros have heavily skewed the rules in favor of the offense. Defensive battles don't keep viewers and seeing as the networks are the ones underwriting a major chunk of the league, what they want (high-scoring games) goes.

They tend to make things more equal in the high school ranks:
OPI - 15 yards and loss of down
DPI - 15 yards and automatic first down.

Offensive players know their routes, and are not allowed to intiate contact with the defenders at all downfield until the pass has been caught or otherwise touched. They know this. Their coaches teach them to hide the little shoves that provide just enough separation so they can get a reception unhindered. Their coaches are also the ones designing the "pick" play, putting the play in the team's playbook, calling for the play to be run, and hoping the officials are napping during the pick.

I don't know. Fifteen yards and a loss of down seems pretty equitable to me after they spent all that effort to circumvent the rules.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT