ADVERTISEMENT

Officials Jurisdiction

When the referee extends the football over his head, signifying the end of the game.

I had read some of the threads but I'm not really sure what the issue is.

The discussions over in AA Div IV weren't clear. Are the helmets flying as soon as the clock reaches 0:00? If so then the officials are still in charge of the field. Until the referee raises the ball over his head, the game isn't really over. (It's done that way so that the field and sidelines remain orderly until it's been verified that there are no penalties that need to be addressed that would require an untimed down to be played)

Essentially correct but, assuming the clock read 0:00 and that the helmet throw occured after the ball was dead, there is no way to enforce a penalty. A period is not extended for a dead ball foul.

There is no way to enforce a penalty associated with yardage. I read the thread and I'm not clear what happened. Might or might not have been a helmet thrown at an opposing player. The helmet might or might not have hit an official. In any case, the officials could easily be asked for a report and their input be considered.

No idea if any of that is involved in this incident. I can't even figure out what happened and if there was something real egregious, there would be enough people who agreed on the facts that it would be more clear than this. But that's just a guess.

There's a current NFL player who struck an official after a basketball game and the VHSL banned him for good. Most of you know who I'm refering to, ut I might have a fact off in what he did or exactly where, so I won't say his name.

I don't see how a flag could be thrown either. Say on the last play of the game and after time has expired, a runner runs out of bounds then receives a late hit. Once the ball became dead after time expired, there's nothing to flag as the game is over. The only thing that could be enforced at that point is a foul that happened during the previous live ball and it would force an untimed down to be played.

A flag most definitely can be thrown for a dead ball personal foul. Obviously, no yardage would be walked off because time has expired on the play. But you could have a flagrant foul and a disqualification.

FB-ref. Your last post was the answer I was looking for. If after the white hat has ended the game and a fight breaks out, there can be disqualifications and suspensions. On the other board it said the official got hit with the thrown helmet. Not being there,it is hard to judge on what can happen to a player.

The referee isn't going to hold the ball over his head two seconds after a runner goes OOB and gets slammed, so yes, there could be a flag and disqualifications, even if no yardage is assessed.

Even after the football is raised, you could have a situation where the crew could still report their observations to the state association.

Originally posted by FBRef:
A flag most definitely can be thrown for a dead ball personal foul. Obviously, no yardage would be walked off because time has expired on the play. But you could have a flagrant foul and a disqualification.
Interesting. You would disqualify the player from a game that was already finished? Isn't that a bit like closing the barn door after the horse has already left?

I do agree that after-game action WILL get reported to the VHSL even if we're leaving the field as it happens.

The game is not over until the referee lifts the ball over his head.

Yes, if a player committed an ofense that required his disqualification, I have no problem following the rule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT