ADVERTISEMENT

One step forward, two steps backwards

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
7 Salem 6 Christiansburg.
Two turnovers going in to score.
Secondary getting beat deep
Not stopping Christiansburg base play jet sweep allowing them to keep ball.

Uninspired play in first half for sure coupled with a fumble inside the 5 and a pick in the EZ. Game should have been around 56-14 then it would have been whatever. Christiansburg had the right idea, bled the clock even early in the game in order to keep the offense from having the ball. I don't necessarily chalk this up to anything in particular because even the recent teams that won state played uninspired now and then, it's just too hard to get players on any level to be "up" for 4 quarters a game, 10-16 games a year. They came out in the 2nd half, played like they should, solved the problem.

I will say the playcalling has just been highly questionable all year. Ran screens to tremendous success against FC and have run like 3-4 the rest of the year. They almost refuse to run around the ends most of the time even though the backs are quicker than anyone else they've faced thus far and have always chewed up defenses with it. No identity in the passing game which leads to a lack of consistency and sustained success (which should not happen, the elements are there).

My last thing is we don't use Zavione enough. Sorry, understand he plays D but that kid doesn't need nearly as much rest as the staff seem to think. If Leftwich and/or Persinger is struggling there is zero reason not to put Wood out there and let him go to work. He's also lethal in space when used as a checkdown or screen, reminds me of how dangerous Coleman Fox used to be in similar situations but we barely use him for that. Just same story as with D. Ramsey, no excuse for kids that talented to touch the ball that little.

Reactions: salemfan32
These are 15-17 year old kids with a new coach running the show. They will be fine. Salem will be 10-0 at season’s end, 12-0 when Glass comes to town. They’ll be fine.

These are 15-17 year old kids with a new coach running the show. They will be fine. Salem will be 10-0 at season’s end, 12-0 when Glass comes to town. They’ll be fine.

Salem's road isn't getting easier. HV's having their "once every 5 years" season, PC is doing well, PH is going to be tough and Martinsburg is the obvious elephant in the room. I'll be pretty surprised if they make 10-0 happen, think 9-1 is more likely.

Also feel like Glass is probably 10-14 points better than Salem right now, too. All parts will have to start coming together and functioning as one if they want to beat Glass.

Salem's road isn't getting easier. HV's having their "once every 5 years" season, PC is doing well, PH is going to be tough and Martinsburg is the obvious elephant in the room. I'll be pretty surprised if they make 10-0 happen, think 9-1 is more likely.

Also feel like Glass is probably 10-14 points better than Salem right now, too. All parts will have to start coming together and functioning as one if they want to beat Glass.
Not trying to earn any brownie points and of course you know more about the team than I do .. However, I just go off of the “Salem Way”. They’ll find a way to right the ship soon. Last year they got caught slipping during the playoffs and those guys want to show that last year was a “fluke”. New head coach, new guys in new positions so of course it’ll take a little time to gel. I still don’t see any team on that schedule beating them... Even this Martinsburg team. I’d be shocked if they were to beat Salem.

Not trying to earn any brownie points and of course you know more about the team than I do .. However, I just go off of the “Salem Way”. They’ll find a way to right the ship soon. Last year they got caught slipping during the playoffs and those guys want to show that last year was a “fluke”. New head coach, new guys in new positions so of course it’ll take a little time to gel. I still don’t see any team on that schedule beating them... Even this Martinsburg team. I’d be shocked if they were to beat Salem.
I hope you're right, but I think Salem will be a 10-14 point underdog against Martinsburg as @1MoreHokie said.

We’ll see. “That’s why we play the game” . I’m hopeful Salem wins convincingly.
Remind your guys that Salem got trounced against Blacksburg 2 years ago and then turned the tables on the Bruins several weeks later barely slipping by. I know the Eagles took it on the chin tonight, but just make improvements every day. I know it's easy to judge success on W/L, but as in life, success is truly measured by making improvement every day.

They play Martinsburg, WV in two weeks. They might be 9-1 at season’s end. Still nothing to panic about.
A Martinsburg fan here... IMO This will be a competitive game if Salem can establish their running game and control the ball keeping Martinsburg offense off the field which will be no easy task. If they don’t this game will be over by halftime. Martinsburg has too many offensive options. I hope this game is turns out to be a great game. The Bulldogs need to be tested because no of their games have been competitive. Not sure Salem will see anything close to Martinsburg. This senior class has not lost a game in 3 + years and will come into the Salem game with a 49 game winning streak which is currently the 2nd longest winning streak in the country. Martinsburg is not your typical WV High School Football team. They are a program that has established a culture of winning. Good Luck to Salem.

Reactions: VolNation85
A Martinsburg fan here... IMO This will be a competitive game if Salem can establish their running game and control the ball keeping Martinsburg offense off the field which will be no easy task. If they don’t this game will be over by halftime. Martinsburg has too many offensive options. I hope this game is turns out to be a great game. The Bulldogs need to be tested because no of their games have been competitive. Not sure Salem will see anything close to Martinsburg. This senior class has not lost a game in 3 + years and will come into the Salem game with a 49 game winning streak which is currently the 2nd longest winning streak in the country. Martinsburg is not your typical WV High School Football team. They are a program that has established a culture of winning. Good Luck to Salem.
Martinsburg struggled with Sherando the past couple of years. Didn’t you see what Salem did to them? Wasn’t even close. I don’t think Martinsburg will see anything close to Salem all year*.

Martinsburg has beat a 1-4 team, two 0-6 teams, Sherando who is 3-2 and Academy Park who is 6-1 (Only 1 of those 6 wins came against a team with a winning record).. I’m not being an azz, but none of those teams are anything close to Salem.

Martinsburg has beat a 1-4 team, two 0-6 teams, Sherando who is 3-2 and Academy Park who is 6-1 (they beat 1 team with a winning record).. I’m not being an azz, but none of those teams are anything close to Salem.
Salem beating Sherando several years ago has what bearing on the upcoming game? BTW... Martinsburg leads the overall series with Sherando 11-4. I guess that’s your idea of a struggle. It was only 37-0 this season. Last season they put up 50 and gave up some garbage time TD’s that made it seem like it was a close game it wasn’t!!! That’s 87 points in the last 2 games.?Just the facts my man! I’ll tip my cap to Salem if they win. Are you humble enough to do the same if Martinsburg wins, Just curious. Also Salem’s schedule so far has not been much of an ask but they have struggled...That is a fact!

Last edited:
Oh boy, can't wait for ignorant Martinsville fans to wander over and preach how great and unstoppable their program is and get trolled into the ground by posters here who aren't even Salem fans, that's not going to be God-awful or anything.

Dear all Martinsville fans,

You are the best program of all-time. Salem should only be so lucky to match your success. We all worship at your altars. Praise be to almighty Martinsville forever and ever. Amen.

Oh boy, can't wait for ignorant Martinsville fans to wander over and preach how great and unstoppable their program is and get trolled into the ground by posters here who aren't even Salem fans, that's not going to be God-awful or anything.

Dear all Martinsville fans,

You are the best program of all-time. Salem should only be so lucky to match your success. We all worship at your altars. Praise be to almighty Martinsville forever and ever. Amen.
Martinsville fans maybe...Martinsburg fans not. Talk about the definition of ignorant!!!

Salem beating Sherando several years ago has what bearing on the upcoming game? BTW... Martinsburg leads the overall series with Sherando 11-4. I guess that’s your idea of a struggle. It was only 37-0 this season. Last season they put up 50 and gave up some garbage time TD’s that made it seem like it was a close game it wasn’t!!! That’s 87 points in the last 2 games.?Just the facts my man! I’ll tip my cap to Salem if they win. Are you humble enough to do the same if Martinsburg wins, Just curious. Also Salem’s schedule so far has not been much of an ask but they have struggled...That is a fact!
Martinsburg kicked Sherando's a$$, I watched the game online, Sherando had nothing for them. I've not seen Salem this year, but I seriously doubt anyone gives Martinsburg a real threat. However, that's why the games are played. I haven't decided if I plan on travelling to watch that game since it's closer to me in Berryville than Clarke vs. Stonewall Jackson in Manassas that night, and Stonewall Jackson is a 6A school, which is a head scratcher to me.

Martinsburg should be favored. This years Salem team is not as good as our last three State Championship teams 2015. 16. 17. But still pretty good and the best team Martinsburg will play all year.
But no one in Salem is going to be scared of Martinsburg. In past years Salem has played great teams and done quite well. This will not be Salems first rodeo. Salem will be the best program Martinsburg has probably ever played. Notice I said program.After winning three straight State Championships, Salem is still somewhat in a rebuilding mode. But an average Salem team can still be very dangerous.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I’m not even a Salem fan, far from it. Martinsburg schedule is atrocious and if you’re beating your chest for beating those terrible teams then more power to you man.

Martinsburg should be favored. This years Salem team is not as good as our last three State Championship teams 2015. 16. 17. But still pretty good and the best team Martinsburg will play all year.
But no one in Salem is going to be scared of Martinsburg. In past years Salem has played great teams and done quite well. This will not be Salems first rodeo. Salem will be the best program Martinsburg has probably ever played. Notice I said program.After winning three straight State Championships, Salem is still somewhat in a rebuilding mode. But an average Salem team can still be very dangerous.
No debating Salem’s pedigree but this is not Martinsburg’s first rodeo either. I don’t know of many teams that can go to State College,PA a great High School football environment.and win as Martinsburg has done in the past. Also what needs to be taken into consideration is this is Salem’s 1st time in their storied history facing an out of state opponent. This is the norm for Martinsburg. Like I stated in my earlier post I hope this turns out to be a great game.

I’m not even a Salem fan, far from it. Martinsburg schedule is atrocious and if you’re beating your chest for beating those terrible teams then more power to you man.
Reading is fundamental...I stated my opinion and provided some facts. We can agree to disagree. You can only play who is on your schedule. If the other teams suck that is their issue! Salem reached out and Martinsburg accepted... Again I state a fact! I guess we will see what happens on October 18th.

Reading is fundamental...I stated my opinion and provided some facts. We can agree to disagree. You can only play who is on your schedule. If the other teams suck that is their issue! Salem reached out and Martinsburg accepted... Again I state a fact! I guess we will see what happens on October 18th.
Reading is fundamental...I stated my opinion and provided some facts. We can agree to disagree. You can only play who is on your schedule. If the other teams suck that is their issue! Salem reached out and Martinsburg accepted... Again I state a fact! I guess we will see what happens on October 18th. No beating of ones chest here.

Martinsburg will roll Salem. That’s my opinion and I’ll be there to see what happens.

I would love to see a Salem and Glass game

Reactions: mike salem
I think Martinsburg is definitely the favorite this year. But Salem has some Really good kids in a lot of positions. I also think Salem will be the favorite next year as we have very few seniors. Road team might win both years. Either way let’s enjoy these two games.

No debating Salem’s pedigree but this is not Martinsburg’s first rodeo either. I don’t know of many teams that can go to State College,PA a great High School football environment.and win as Martinsburg has done in the past. Also what needs to be taken into consideration is this is Salem’s 1st time in their storied history facing an out of state opponent. This is the norm for Martinsburg. Like I stated in my earlier post I hope this turns out to be a great game.
Playing teams out of state makes no difference on the field. You suit up and play the guys that's standing in front of you. If their better then they are just better than you. I know Martinsburg will have a great scouting report. Since Salem plays PH next week and we all know how good friends PH and Martinsburg coaches are .

I think Martinsburg should be favored by two TD’s, they’re the real deal. Can’t wait for the game tho, it’ll be great for the team to get humbled right before the playoffs! Go Salem!

Martinsburg kicked Sherando's a$$, I watched the game online, Sherando had nothing for them. I've not seen Salem this year, but I seriously doubt anyone gives Martinsburg a real threat. However, that's why the games are played. I haven't decided if I plan on travelling to watch that game since it's closer to me in Berryville than Clarke vs. Stonewall Jackson in Manassas that night, and Stonewall Jackson is a 6A school, which is a head scratcher to me.
Um....I'm a doofus. We aren't playing Stonewall Jackson of Manassas that night in Manassas. We're playing the other Stonewall Jackson team, that is a Class 2 team, for Clarke's homecoming game.:oops:
url

Um....I'm a doofus. We aren't playing Stonewall Jackson of Manassas that night in Manassas. We're playing the other Stonewall Jackson team, that is a Class 2 team, for Clarke's homecoming game.:oops:
url

Also, the Martinsburg-Salem game is being played at Salem Stadium. If I read your previous post correctly, you were thinking it was to be in Martinsburg, yes?

Wrong Stonewall @ClarkeFan83

I'm not a Salem guy, but your post stood out as hypocritical.

You took the Final scores for Salem to say they have struggled, yet you wanted to explain a game last year as to why it was close. And also saying why other years mattered.

That would suck to drive all the way from Berryville to Manassas just to realize that you've gone to the wrong game, and that you then have to turn around and drive all the way to Mount Jackson lol.

I'm sure would see better team in Manassas

Reactions: mmqp
I'm sure would see better team in Manassas

Yea if I were him I'd just go watch the Salem-Martinsburg game. Might do that myself depending on whether or not I can sneak out of work early enough to beat the traffic on Friday.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Also, the Martinsburg-Salem game is being played at Salem Stadium. If I read your previous post correctly, you were thinking it was to be in Martinsburg, yes?
Gee, that's swell, you guys are such great friends pointing out that not only am I a DOOFUS, I'm a DOUBLE DOOFUS!!! Hmph! Well, our Marching Band is better than your Marching Bands!:pNYAH NYAH NYAH! PBLTPBLT

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT