ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar Smith @ Herm

I'm confused about the state of Oscar Smith right now. I know they haven't fell off a cliff but there seems to be no hype surrounding them. I still think they will have this game over by halftime though.

I'm confused about the state of Oscar Smith right now. I know they haven't fell off a cliff but there seems to be no hype surrounding them. I still think they will have this game over by halftime though.
I'm with you, I think OS will be giving the 2nd and 3rd stringers play time in the 2nd half.

I watched Hermitage scrimmage Hopewell and hopewell beat them and was running on them like nothing. But it was just a scrimmage.

I think it’s a bit of Smith falling off big time and Herm not being as bad as I thought. Herm has a few ballers man. I don’t know where they fare in 5C, but if they would’ve kept those kids who transferred out, they’d be a tough out. The QB they have is tough.

I think it’s a bit of Smith falling off big time and Herm not being as bad as I thought. Herm has a few ballers man. I don’t know where they fare in 5C, but if they would’ve kept those kids who transferred out, they’d be a tough out. The QB they have is tough.
Heck after looking at the score and the rundown I have no idea what to make of either team at this point. I believe Smith has Phoebus coming up though. So that should answer most questions. But I'll give Herm props, they showed up more than what I expected.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Heck after looking at the score and the rundown I have no idea what to make of either team at this point. I believe Smith has Phoebus coming up though. So that should answer most questions. But I'll give Herm props, they showed up more than what I expected.
Just shows you the talent they have in that building. Herm’s 3 best players are sophomores and very very good. Herm has Varina, HS and Freeman coming up too. We’ll see.

Herm's talent can make a team look bad. I saw that in their game vs Manchester last year. They hung in vs the Lancers pretty well except for some strange coaching calls & the Pantbers are very susceptible to the well placed deep ball!

For Smith, I am not seeing Tiger football anymore. Their D wasn't dominant & the QB was hesitant on his reads all night.

a couple keys for this team is going to be the health of their top talent... #4, Nisbit got hurt during the 2nd quarter & didn't return. Hopefully, it's not a repeat of what happened to their top RB from last year! Smith's future rests in their youth, I didn't see Freshman QB, Lonnie Andrews, III play. I arrived after the Tiger's 2nd TD.. They'll need both vs Phoebus come Friday night.

I am hoping Coach Scott was holding some back on the reigns last night while he's evaluating talent. It did look like he had a lot of 2nd & 3rd team players in the last 3rd of the game which made the score closer than it should have been.

Prediction for the year, same as last, no blowing out of games vs WB, KF, NR or Phoebus. A couple of losses & challenging for a regional title, but I'm not sure that's Tiger football !!!

Herm's talent can make a team look bad. I saw that in their game vs Manchester last year. They hung in vs the Lancers pretty well except for some strange coaching calls & the Pantbers are very susceptible to the well placed deep ball!

For Smith, I am not seeing Tiger football anymore. Their D wasn't dominant & the QB was hesitant on his reads all night.

a couple keys for this team is going to be the health of their top talent... #4, Nisbit got hurt during the 2nd quarter & didn't return. Hopefully, it's not a repeat of what happened to their top RB from last year! Smith's future rests in their youth, I didn't see Freshman QB, Lonnie Andrews, III play. I arrived after the Tiger's 2nd TD.. They'll need both vs Phoebus come Friday night.

I am hoping Coach Scott was holding some back on the reigns last night while he's evaluating talent. It did look like he had a lot of 2nd & 3rd team players in the last 3rd of the game which made the score closer than it should have been.

Prediction for the year, same as last, no blowing out of games vs WB, KF, NR or Phoebus. A couple of losses & challenging for a regional title, but I'm not sure that's Tiger football !!!
The Manchester game was from COVID year. That was Herm’s best team this decade and they happened to be coached by the best coach in the history of 804 football, Dave Bedwell. He’s no longer there and Herm’s program has taken some lumps. They are a lot better than I expected and could be a factor in 5C given the matchups.

I agree with your assessments on the QB situation. Had the Smith QB progressed through his reads, Smith would’ve scored at least 60 points. Smith’s WRs are big, fast and can make plays and the smaller Herm DBs couldn’t do anything about it when Smith’s QB had time/made an actual decision to throw it. In all it was a great game that I thought said wayyyy more about Herm than it did OS. It’s one of those things that if they played 10 times, Smith probably wins all 10. Some blowouts/some by a score or two.

Bo, last year, Herm fans complained all game about how many kids transferred out after Bidwell left.. but I am sorry I missed his Herm teams' games.

On a side note, how does one get essentially unlimited timeouts like what I saw last night? It was almost embarrassing to watch the affection between the refs & Herm's coach while any attempt for Coach Scott to get even a foot onto the field was quickly rebuked all night. Admittedly, he is pretty famous for getting away with his own mini timeouts during home games, it was decidedly one sided last night!!!

The Manchester game was from COVID year. That was Herm’s best team this decade and they happened to be coached by the best coach in the history of 804 football, Dave Bedwell. He’s no longer there and Herm’s program has taken some lumps. They are a lot better than I expected and could be a factor in 5C given the matchups.

I agree with your assessments on the QB situation. Had the Smith QB progressed through his reads, Smith would’ve scored at least 60 points. Smith’s WRs are big, fast and can make plays and the smaller Herm DBs couldn’t do anything about it when Smith’s QB had time/made an actual decision to throw it. In all it was a great game that I thought said wayyyy more about Herm than it did OS. It’s one of those things that if they played 10 times, Smith probably wins all 10. Some blowouts/some by a score or two.
Respectfully I think there is a coach on Airport Drive who has 5 state titles that might just be the best coach in the history of 804 football. Don't get me wrong, Bedwell was great and I think if he were able to get back into coaching now he would be right back in the thick of things. He elevated Henrico, Bird and Hermitage... Hard to argue with 5 state titles however.

Reactions: BJONESVAPREPS
Just shows you the talent they have in that building. Herm’s 3 best players are sophomores and very very good. Herm has Varina, HS and Freeman coming up too. We’ll see.
That's a tough stretch coming up for the Panthers. They will be the underdog in each and could lose all three and still be a threat come playoff time. I think the losses to graduation and transfers had us looking at Hermitage as a depleted team.

Impression after this week is we over-estimated James River and under-estimated Hermitage.

Respectfully I think there is a coach on Airport Drive who has 5 state titles that might just be the best coach in the history of 804 football. Don't get me wrong, Bedwell was great and I think if he were able to get back into coaching now he would be right back in the thick of things. He elevated Henrico, Bird and Hermitage... Hard to argue with 5 state titles however.
It’s like Jordan vs Lebron argument. Had Jordan not retired, he’d probably have 8-9 titles. Still far far and away the goat, I don’t care if LeBron wins 3 more championships. Bedwell won at every school he was at and it’s no telling how many titles he would’ve gotten at Herm, especially in the new alignment. I know you’re an insider, but I know for a fact that a lot of big time players that you cover at other schools were lined up to come to Herm before he left. Herm went 6-5 last year with that loaded roster they had, definitely would’ve contended with whomever last year and the year before with Bedwell.

Johnson’s good but who was the first 3 peat in the 804? That’s right, Dave Bedwell.

That's a tough stretch coming up for the Panthers. They will be the underdog in each and could lose all three and still be a threat come playoff time. I think the losses to graduation and transfers had us looking at Hermitage as a depleted team.

Impression after this week is we over-estimated James River and under-estimated Hermitage.
I agree. I think we can pick your game of the week right now 😂, Varina @ Herm is gonna be a big time game. Both teams will be 1-1 and that game is absolutely huge for seeding. If you made me pick a winner a few weeks back, I’d laugh and say Varina all day. Though I think Herm has a lot to clean up, I’m second guessing that pick now. Yernay, Winston, and Clarke are absolutely game changers. Herm’s front 7 is stout with Harris and the young man who transferred from Wythe.

I’ve seen both Freeman and Herm with my own eyes and I think we’ve all underestimated how good 5C is going to be even without the Springers this year.

Still going with Louisa in 5C. But you guys are correct the region may be better than expected. Wish there were some games against the 5D Nova teams to see for real.

It’s like Jordan vs Lebron argument. Had Jordan not retired, he’d probably have 8-9 titles. Still far far and away the goat, I don’t care if LeBron wins 3 more championships. Bedwell won at every school he was at and it’s no telling how many titles he would’ve gotten at Herm, especially in the new alignment. I know you’re an insider, but I know for a fact that a lot of big time players that you cover at other schools were lined up to come to Herm before he left. Herm went 6-5 last year with that loaded roster they had, definitely would’ve contended with whomever last year and the year before with Bedwell.

Johnson’s good but who was the first 3 peat in the 804? That’s right, Dave Bedwell.
Remind me again who had the first 4 peat?! Johnson stopped the Bird 4-peat! 5 says everything! Don’t surprised if 6 is in his case in December!

Remind me again who had the first 4 peat?! Johnson stopped the Bird 4-peat! 5 says everything! Don’t surprised if 6 is in his case in December!
Bedwell was out the game for 3 of those, so somebody had to win it. Fwiw, Herm would’ve spanked that ‘21 spring HS team. Tom Hall and COVID saved you.

That Manchester team the covid year was extremely impressive. They dismantled Herm in that playoff game
They did man… Herm’s defense was stout but Manchester’s offense was on another level. Still think Manchester sends HS home the next week. Ramon Brown was out of his mind that year.

They did man… Herm’s defense was stout but Manchester’s offense was on another level. Still think Manchester sends HS home the next week. Ramon Brown was out of his mind that year.
Highland springs had already faced and beat better teams than Manchester that year. Not sure I can agree with you on that one. As a matter of fact, when was the last time Manchester actually beat Highland Springs? They showed last year that is a completely different level of speed at every position. Henley is still there. So is Martin! They just faced a better defense than Manchester has with 2 POWER 5 DEs. I guess we’ll see!

"Johnson’s good but who was the first 3 peat in the 804? That’s right, Dave Bedwell". Johnson's 4 peat happened right after the 3peat, that 804 record was broken IMMEDIATELY!

"Johnson’s good but who was the first 3 peat in the 804? That’s right, Dave Bedwell". Johnson's 4 peat happened right after the 3peat, that 804 record was broken IMMEDIATELY!
Cause Bedwell was out the game. Johnson’s good, just not my goat.

Highland springs had already faced and beat better teams than Manchester that year. Not sure I can agree with you on that one. As a matter of fact, when was the last time Manchester actually beat Highland Springs? They showed last year that is a completely different level of speed at every position. Henley is still there. So is Martin! They just faced a better defense than Manchester has with 2 POWER 5 DEs. I guess we’ll see!
Highland Springs literally played the same schedule Herm played that year and happened to win the “coin flip” and faced PG instead of Manchester.

Highland Springs literally played the same teams Herm played that year and happened to win the “coin flip” and faced PG instead of Manchester.
Once again, I ask you, when is the last time Manchester beat HS on the field? Team speed has ALWAYS been the difference. It will STILL be the difference.

If I remember correctly, Bidwell was on the other side line when Johnson beat him to start his 4.

Once again, I ask you, when is the last time Manchester beat HS on the field? Team speed has ALWAYS been the difference. It will STILL be the difference.
It doesn’t matter really, I’m just saying HS had no offense that year and Manchester would’ve been able to score against that defense. HS would’ve had to throw the ball and it was no secret that they couldn’t. Herm would’ve been a better match up for them over Manchester. Doesn’t matter now.

Last edited:
Reactions: HooSprings
HS struggled against Deep Run, the same team Herm beat by 40 that year. Who was better than Manchester? Glen Allen? 😂 Come on man. HS was very overrated that year and it’s unfortunate there was no region championship game that year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT