ADVERTISEMENT

Ouch, DSH

I just saw the girl's BB score from yesterday. GW 20, HSHS 82? Somebody has a little work ahead of them.
Wooooooooooooooo:confused:!! As bad as that is it's not surprising. The Springer Ladies are the REAL DEAL. GW's girl team probably doesn't have a girl over 5'8 and though its commendable that they played HS, GW just can't compete with teams like that. I'd love to see HS girls play Monacan! Those two teams could beat a lot of boys teams!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
You've got that right. Monacan is a story unto itself. But if I remember right, the Lady Springers averaged something crazy last season. Maybe in the 80's. Scored over a 100 several times?

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
You've got that right. Monacan is a story unto itself. But if I remember right, the Lady Springers averaged something crazy last season. Maybe in the 80's. Scored over a 100 several times?
Yes sir you are correct. Saw them 2 years ago when they played an undefeated Henrico team. No disrespect to the Henrico ladies but it was over at halftime. All you can do when you play a team like that is hope you hold them to under 100 points lol.. If Monacan's girls aren't nationally ranked then I'd like to see the teams that are. Meagan Walker and Jaiden Morris are the real deal. As good as William Fleming's girls were last year they blew them out and made it look easy. @mbonape1 man what y'all putting in that Gatorade out there lol!!

Yes sir you are correct. Saw them 2 years ago when they played an undefeated Henrico team. No disrespect to the Henrico ladies but it was over at halftime. All you can do when you play a team like that is hope you hold them to under 100 points lol.. If Monacan's girls aren't nationally ranked then I'd like to see the teams that are. Meagan Walker and Jaiden Morris are the real deal. As good as William Fleming's girls were last year they blew them out and made it look easy. @mbonape1 man what y'all putting in that Gatorade out there lol!!
If they start winning championships in theatre, swimming, and chess, I'm calling for a formal investigation!

Girls high school basketball is so lopsided. That HS game doesn't surprise me. Its the haves and have nots only. I can tell you without exaggeration I honestly think Monacan girls might be the best team in the Nation regardless of classification / Public / or Private. Our starters beat Paul VI starters 59-46. (Number 1 Nat ranked team) in a scrimmage this year already. If you take a look at our schedule this year we are traveling to Myrtle Beach, Boston, MD etc in major tourneys playing teams from Colorado and Boston etc... We are trying to avoid the scenario where we play George Wythe and beat them 100-18 but its unavoidable. It will be a good run while it lasted but Monacan will never have this type of a run again in Girls basketball. How often can you land the number 1 player in the land? It is amazing bc these are just the neighborhood girls.

Here is the USA today article on the national rankings.
http://usatodayhss.com/2016/meet-the-2016-17-super-25-preseason-girls-basketball-teams

But this is why high school athletes elect to go to these private schools. If I am a 250lb tailback for Bird... Why does it do me any good to just run over 150lb cornerbacks and beat GW 70-7? How is that making me better or preparing me for anything? If I am 6'9 what good does it do me to play regular high school basketball and just dunking on a bunch of 6'4 guys?

One thing is for certain. Public / private Girls high school basketball in the state of va is very good at the top. Monacan / Princess Anne / Cosby / Paul VI / Midlothian / Highland Springs / Bird / etc.. It would be hard to find another state that could duplicate that.

Girls high school basketball is so lopsided. That HS game doesn't surprise me. Its the haves and have nots only. I can tell you without exaggeration I honestly think Monacan girls might be the best team in the Nation regardless of classification / Public / or Private. Our starters beat Paul VI starters 59-46. (Number 1 Nat ranked team) in a scrimmage this year already. If you take a look at our schedule this year we are traveling to Myrtle Beach, Boston, MD etc in major tourneys playing teams from Colorado and Boston etc... We are trying to avoid the scenario where we play George Wythe and beat them 100-18 but its unavoidable. It will be a good run while it lasted but Monacan will never have this type of a run again in Girls basketball. How often can you land the number 1 player in the land? It is amazing bc these are just the neighborhood girls.

Here is the USA today article on the national rankings.
http://usatodayhss.com/2016/meet-the-2016-17-super-25-preseason-girls-basketball-teams

But this is why high school athletes elect to go to these private schools. If I am a 250lb tailback for Bird... Why does it do me any good to just run over 150lb cornerbacks and beat GW 70-7? How is that making me better or preparing me for anything? If I am 6'9 what good does it do me to play regular high school basketball and just dunking on a bunch of 6'4 guys?

One thing is for certain. Public / private Girls high school basketball in the state of va is very good at the top. Monacan / Princess Anne / Cosby / Paul VI / Midlothian / Highland Springs / Bird / etc.. It would be hard to find another state that could duplicate that.
Add in Lake Taylor girls in the mix too.

Shameless plug time.....
January 13th and 14th I have the top girls teams in the state coming to Highland Springs for my girls event.
1/13
5:00 pm LC Bird vs. Atlantic Shores
6:30 pm Western Branch vs. Huguenot
8:00 pm Hopewell vs. Deep Creek
1/14
11:00 am Landstown vs. Midlothian
1:00 pm Osbourn Park vs. Broadway
2:30 pm Lake Taylor vs. St. Catherine's
4:00 pm Battlefield vs. Woodrow Wilson
5:30 pm Monacan vs. Forest Trail Academy (NC)
7:00 pm Woodbridge vs. William Fleming
8:30 pm Highland Springs vs. RJ Reynolds (NC)

Come on out!

Last edited:
Reactions: gwb16
Add in Lake Taylor girls in the mix too.

Shameless plug time.....
January 13th and 14th I have the top girls teams in the state coming to Highland Springs for my girls event.
1/13
5:00 pm LC Bird vs. Atlantic Shores
6:30 pm Western Branch vs. Huguenot
8:00 pm Hopewell vs. Deep Creek
1/14
11:00 am Landstown vs. Midlothian
1:00 pm Osbourn Park vs. Midlothian
2:30 pm Lake Taylor vs. St. Catherine's
4:00 pm Battlefield vs. Woodrow Wilson
5:30 pm Monacan vs. Forest Trail Academy (NC)
7:00 pm Woodbridge vs. William Fleming
8:30 pm Highland Springs vs. RJ Reynolds (NC)

Come on out!

Anyway to get Princess Anne and Cosby in that?
Then it could be a true state championship tournament.
That would be the last 4 state champions for 5a in PA
last 3 years in 6A with Cosby
Plus Monacan looking for a 3 peat in 4A
Plus HSHS and the rest of them.

Going to be good regardless, great job on that.

Anyway to get Princess Anne and Cosby in that?
Then it could be a true state championship tournament.
That would be the last 4 state champions for 5a in PA
last 3 years in 6A with Cosby
Plus Monacan looking for a 3 peat in 4A
Plus HSHS and the rest of them.

Going to be good regardless, great job on that.
It's not a tournament per say just a day of showcase games. The last time PA played in my event they lost a tight game to Cosby. PA's schedule was full this year because of the way their conference schedule goes, but since there will be no more conferences they will be back next year. Below is the link to my website that shows some of the past matchups. This is the first time in about 4 years I haven't had Cosby. Thanks come on out and support.

http://www.statva.com/statva_classic_presented_by_quanitra_hollingsworth

Reactions: mbonape1
DSH, it's going to be a long season for your Rams, I'm afraid.
It is. BN and I were talking about the game last night. We lost to arguably the worst team in the ACC in Georgia Tech and got blown out by a middle of the pack Big 10 team in Illinois. I have faith in my guys but we need to play more disciplined and assertive. Got a feeling I should sell my ODU game tickets for Friday and join you, Mike, BN in Mike's luxury press box. It's not pretty over here on Broad St.

DSH, it's going to be a long season for your Rams, I'm afraid.
Wade said in preseason that we have the type of team that can beat the best team on our schedule and lose to the bad teams. This is exactly what's happening. Looked good against Baylor and crapping the bed otherwise. Our energy and focus just isn't there and I'm like WTF.

Right on the money Hoos. I said the same thing last night to DSH. I don't get it. Wade has not or cannot establish the disciline to make this team tick. Half court offense is horrid. Would love to have Bobby Hurley.

Right on the money Hoos. I said the same thing last night to DSH. I don't get it. Wade has not or cannot establish the disciline to make this team tick. Half court offense is horrid. Would love to have Bobby Hurley.

I think they were over-achievers before with a outstanding young coach. It is going to be hard to duplicate what we came to love. They do have some good recruits coming in though next season. Looks like they had 2 of the top 100 on the ESPN board for 2017 class. What we saw previously at VCU was an aberration not the norm I'm afraid. It really just depends on your expectations. Do we expect them to regularly make the tourney? Yes. Do we expect sweet 16's and final 4's? We might be in for a hard reality check.

I agree, but to expect Shakas players to tone it down after being programmed to press and push is stupid. Once theyvare gone. Dobyour thing.

I think they were over-achievers before with a outstanding young coach. It is going to be hard to duplicate what we came to love. They do have some good recruits coming in though next season. Looks like they had 2 of the top 100 on the ESPN board for 2017 class. What we saw previously at VCU was an aberration not the norm I'm afraid. It really just depends on your expectations. Do we expect them to regularly make the tourney? Yes. Do we expect sweet 16's and final 4's? We might be in for a hard reality check.
Last year's team was probably the worst VCU team that I've seen since I started following them in 2007, however they lost to the national semi finalist Oklahoma Sooners by 4 in the round of 32. This year's team, talent wise, is probably the best team we've had since the final 4 year. I know most of these guys personally. What gets me with these guys is as talented as they are, they're on Instagram, Twitter, downtown at the club, and not focused. We get our tails beat and they're on Instagram trying to get with girls literally an hour later. No focus at all. That mess didn't fly when Shaka was here. TRUST ME, these guys don't listen to what Will Wade says. The climate has changed drastically since Shaka went to Austin. Once the Shaka wave of recruits is gone, then like BN said, Wade can do his thing and put his stamp on the program.

Reactions: mbonape1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT