ADVERTISEMENT

Outlook for 2015 season

LT93Bunny

VaPreps Rookie
Sep 25, 2012
What is everyone's opinion on the upcoming football season? Who has big stars returning? Who has the best chance to win the title in 3A? Who do you think will be a team on the rise with a good season? Who will be the team with a huge drop of from last year? Who will be the newcomer that will make some noise?

I like Magna Vista. I think they have their two best players back from last year's state championship team.

If I'm not mistaken MV returns something like 20 starters, I'm sure they would be an early favorite.

I was told by a fan last year at the championship game that MV was losing only four seniors from the team. I haven't checked last year's roster to verify this, but the point is well made. 3a competition better bring their "A" game come playoff time.

I expect Magna Vista in the final. They have too many good players but don't for a second underestimate JM. After so many appearances, they still remain the last team anyone wants to see get off the bus in 3A. Player losses mean nothing to the Jackets. They fill in the blanks every year and are a team that is so well Coached, the players get nose bleeds from playing so far over their heads. On any given day, they can beat any team in the State. The program and the Head Coach really is that good.

I expect Magna Vista in the final. They have too many good players but don't for a second underestimate JM. After so many appearances, they still remain the last team anyone wants to see get off the bus in 3A. Player losses mean nothing to the Jackets. They fill in the blanks every year and are a team that is so well Coached, the players get nose bleeds from playing so far over their heads. On any given day, they can beat any team in the State. The program and the Head Coach really is that good.

JM has a tremendous program but you talk as if they have dominated with repetitive state championships. When was the last time they actual won it all? Most teams would love to have the success they have had but I doubt any team in 3a is afraid of them getting off the bus. I saw them against Heritage a couple of years back and they were well coached and played hard but wasn't overly impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
JM has a tremendous program but you talk as if they have dominated with repetitive state championships. When was the last time the actual won it all. Most teams would love to have the success they have had but I doubt any team in 3a is afraid of them getting off the bus. I saw them against Heritage a couple of years back and they were well coached and played hard but wasn't overly impressive.

they just win.

Reactions: gwb16 and wikki
I think MV loses all the top receivers. The QB and RB will be back. I think they will lose a few linemen. Several of the key players are back on defense. (redd, johnston, scales, brunson etc) they should have a really good year defensively. With Shoalin and Jac the offense shouldn't fall off too much, but some good receivers stepping up would help. Like you said no one should be underestimated come playoff time. I also think Northside will be tough again. The sophomore QB that stepped in last year for them did pretty well and I expect him to have a big year. You still have to show up and play on Fri nights no matter what.

Last edited:
I think the battlefield dist. will be a little more competitive this year! I think JM and courtland will have more competition this year. chancellor and KG will be a lot better. both these teams were young last year and with chancellor with 4 or 5 underclass D1 prospects lead by imo the best qb that has ever played at chancellor JASON BROWN along with a couple excellent receivers will be a hard out this year. they will need some work on defense and find a competent running back and they are my cenderella pick that I believe will make the playoffs. the foxes had some excellent talent on last years runner up jv champs that will make them a lot better along with some good returnees! their bugaboo has always been on the defensive side of the ball and they will have to sure it up to be a playoff contender. when is the last time the foxes had a great defense? over the last few years the foxes have used their offense to stay on the field keeping their defense off the field as a weapon. with BRECK HALL now coaching at KG that may be the defensive coach they need to get them over the hump. we shall see.
all in all the favorites will be courtland and JM both sporting excellent talent. JM will have to find a qb but they won the jv championship with excellent talent especially the receivers moving up to the varsity this year. the jackets will have to play much better defense next season to be able to overtake a pat hand courtland team. I believe that JM will field a better defense this year with a lot of their defense returning this year. spotsy and caroline will still bring up the rear with very little improvement in those programs.
a lot can happen until the first games in late august so all this may change with transfers in and out and injuries so stand by! with that tough courtland schedule they may be 0 and 2 before they start winning. whats new! that usually happens every year.
there is my predictions for the battlefield dist. and I will pick the teams how they should finish after I see the scrimmages this summer so stand by! NOW LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!

I thought Breck Hall was in Woodbridge now. I guess that didn't work out.
he had planned to go there but he got the head track job at KG so he decided to teach and coach their. for some reason he can't settle anywhere. excellent coach and the kids love him. with that good young talent that Louisa has I was surprised he would leave. good friend of mine as JC is too and I wish him well!

I think the battlefield dist. will be a little more competitive this year! I think JM and courtland will have more competition this year. chancellor and KG will be a lot better. both these teams were young last year and with chancellor with 4 or 5 underclass D1 prospects lead by imo the best qb that has ever played at chancellor JASON BROWN along with a couple excellent receivers will be a hard out this year. they will need some work on defense and find a competent running back and they are my cenderella pick that I believe will make the playoffs. the foxes had some excellent talent on last years runner up jv champs that will make them a lot better along with some good returnees! their bugaboo has always been on the defensive side of the ball and they will have to sure it up to be a playoff contender. when is the last time the foxes had a great defense? over the last few years the foxes have used their offense to stay on the field keeping their defense off the field as a weapon. with BRECK HALL now coaching at KG that may be the defensive coach they need to get them over the hump. we shall see.
all in all the favorites will be courtland and JM both sporting excellent talent. JM will have to find a qb but they won the jv championship with excellent talent especially the receivers moving up to the varsity this year. the jackets will have to play much better defense next season to be able to overtake a pat hand courtland team. I believe that JM will field a better defense this year with a lot of their defense returning this year. spotsy and caroline will still bring up the rear with very little improvement in those programs.
a lot can happen until the first games in late august so all this may change with transfers in and out and injuries so stand by! with that tough courtland schedule they may be 0 and 2 before they start winning. whats new! that usually happens every year.
there is my predictions for the battlefield dist. and I will pick the teams how they should finish after I see the scrimmages this summer so stand by! NOW LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!
I think the Chargers go to the playoffs also.

I think MV loses all the top receivers. The QB and RB will be back. I think they will lose a few linemen. Several of the key players are back on defense. (redd, johnston, scales, brunson etc) they should have a really good year defensively. With Shoalin and Jac the offense shouldn't fall off too much, but some good receivers stepping up would help. Like you said no one should be underestimated come playoff time. I also think Northside will be tough again. The sophomore QB that stepped in last year for them did pretty well and I expect him to have a big year. You still have to show up and play on Fri nights no matter what.
I think Magna Vista & Northside will be top 2 from the West.

preseason rankings from the folks at VHSL Reference
2015 Preseason 3A Rankings
1 Phoebus
2 Norcom
3 James Monroe
4 Heritage(Lyn)
5 Brookville
6 Magna Vista
7 Northside
8 Western Albemarle
9 Hidden Valley
10 Monticello
11 Lakeland
12 Liberty(Bed)
13 BT Washington
14 Hopewell
15 Cave Spring
16 Lord Botetourt

preseason rankings from the folks at VHSL Reference
2015 Preseason 3A Rankings
1 Phoebus
2 Norcom
3 James Monroe
4 Heritage(Lyn)
5 Brookville
6 Magna Vista
7 Northside
8 Western Albemarle
9 Hidden Valley
10 Monticello
11 Lakeland
12 Liberty(Bed)
13 BT Washington
14 Hopewell
15 Cave Spring
16 Lord Botetourt
Thanks for posting. Brookville & Magna Vista scrimmage with Salem on 8/14. Heritage & Northside play early in the year so that should tell us a lot about the top tier of the Western side of 3a.

Keep an eye out for Waynesboro....I know they turned a lot of heads last year with a late season surge. Chris Baker and Jadaciss Williams will make some noise this year. They have been struggling heavily during the 2000s but seemed to turn a corner last season giving their team some confidence. I wouldn't call them a state title favorite but as we learned last year they can definitely make some noise in the playoffs.

They were only held under 21 points once all season coming in week 1(2A State runner up Wilson Memorial)

Lost to Broadway by 1, and played Western down to the wire in both games against them.

If they can get the defense playing decent watch out

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT