ADVERTISEMENT

Outlook on 2015 season

You are putting a lot of eyes on a team that made an early playoff exit and got dismantled by Massaponax last season. I would fly under the radar, but hey who else is going to stick up for your team if you don't so I get it. All eyes are now on Courtland and every mistake or loss will be scrutinized. Who are they playing OOD this year?
Massaponax, Riverbend, Louisa, Faquier, Liberty Bealeton. Scrimmages against MountainView and North Stafford.

It will be the same as always for the Cougars. Slow start, strong finish. I'm not concerned about how they were dismantled by Ponax, and they were, but I can assure you LT would have had major problems with them also. With the shear power on their line, the athletes they have and the no huddle, hurry up, triple option offense, they are very, very formidable. You don't go back to back undefeated regular seasons in 5A if you're not. No disrespect to LT. Consecutive State Championships is nothing to sneeze at either but Ponax is no Salem by any measure.

Yes, I fully expect the "over rated" posts right from the start of the year when Ponax probably pastes them again. But they're good. Very good. And they'll make noise at Playoff time. They have the players to win it all. Unfortunately, they have a garage full of Porsches but will only use them to go to the Grocery store. That's just the Courtland way and why I don't see them getting through the East. No imagination or creativity but they can be insanely ballsy at times. I love them but this is just what it is.

Massaponax, Riverbend, Louisa, Faquier, Liberty Bealeton. Scrimmages against MountainView and North Stafford.

It will be the same as always for the Cougars. Slow start, strong finish. I'm not concerned about how they were dismantled by Ponax, and they were, but I can assure you LT would have had major problems with them also. With the shear power on their line, the athletes they have and the no huddle, hurry up, triple option offense, they are very, very formidable. You don't go back to back undefeated regular seasons in 5A if you're not. No disrespect to LT. Consecutive State Championships is nothing to sneeze at either but Ponax is no Salem by any measure.

Yes, I fully expect the "over rated" posts right from the start of the year when Ponax probably pastes them again. But they're good. Very good. And they'll make noise at Playoff time. They have the players to win it all. Unfortunately, they have a garage full of Porsches but will only use them to go to the Grocery store. That's just the Courtland way and why I don't see them getting through the East. No imagination or creativity but they can be insanely ballsy at times. I love them but this is just what it is.

Of course Massaponax would have given LT a game we are just a lowly 4A team and we can't play with the 5A big boys.. Didn't Reimers shred them for over 300 yards last year in the state semifinals? And yes he was the Gatordade POY, but Bird did a great job shutting him down after the first half. I know Massaponax and the teams up that way are near and dear to your heart, but I'm result oriented. You are correct Massaponax isn't Salem the same way LT isn't Courtland. We can agree to disagree on this one because Massaponax and LT won't be playing. Guess we shall see what Courtland does in the East this year.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Can't say Salem won't be getting back to the final. They will be tough as usual and having one of the best coaches in the state in Mags makes it just that much easier. Lost Fox, their QB, Isaiah, and a core group of seniors that will be hard to replace and if they don't live up to expectations don't be surprised to see Salem as one of the final 4 teams in 4a North which I think will be Salem, Sherando (probably the best team in 4a North this year), JF (because Coach Christmas is the real deal), and GW (LOTS of athletes and an improved defense). It will be interesting!
I agree Coach Mags and Coach Christmas will have great teams again, they are that good

Of course Massaponax would have given LT a game we are just a lowly 4A team and we can't play with the 5A big boys.. Didn't Reimers shred them for over 300 yards last year in the state semifinals? And yes he was the Gatordade POY, but Bird did a great job shutting him down after the first half. I know Massaponax and the teams up that way are near and dear to your heart, but I'm result oriented. You are correct Massaponax isn't Salem the same way LT isn't Courtland. We can agree to disagree on this one because Massaponax and LT won't be playing. Guess we shall see what Courtland does in the East this year.
We will see but like I said, because of the Courtland way, I don't see them going far in the East. They have the players. They just won't use them. Sounds silly but that's just the way it is.

Again, no disrespect to LT. You simply can't argue the results. And no one said LT couldn't play with the 5A kids. But Ponax would have been a very challenging game for them. And no, Courtland is no LT and if they were in last year's final I would have picked LT as the winner.

Courtland has at least 4 players that can be given the ball in space and make a big play. Will that happen once this year? No. Sounds rediculous to me too but that's what will happen. They will run the Wing very predictably. Their pass patterns will have only one receiver. They will never pass on 1st down. They'll win a lot of games because they make so few mistakes and simply grind teams down. Same as every year. But the studs will continue to stay in the barn. I don't deal with this stuff as a fan. I don't evaluate as a fan. I don't make predictions as a fan. Team A is better then Team B. Simple as that. Doesn't matter who they are.

Yeah, he knows how to use talent for sure! That's why against Danville they didn't put their stud at QB because he was their "best blocking WR" Courtland will run the table in the regular season with challenges from Ponax and JM but then either bow out early as a choke job or lose in the state semi final in which they won't be able to keep up because of their ancient offense
Who are you?

Just think of how many offers #4 would have if they let him out of the barn. Only 4 offers before his senior year???? He should have at the least double that. The talent at Courtland is not being used right. honestly they should stop living in the old glory days and modernize things.

LCA will bring in the recruits they need to dominate. Private schools are doing this all across the country. Virginia will not be any different. LCA will eventually come to dominate 4A.
If they do and is allowed to do so, then shame on the VHSL.

Just think of how many offers #4 would have if they let him out of the barn. Only 4 offers before his senior year???? He should have at the least double that. The talent at Courtland is not being used right. honestly they should stop living in the old glory days and modernize things.

Well, all due respect but IMO, the Wing is fine. LC Byrd runs it and wins State Championships. Others can too.

Also, IMO, offers don't have anything to do with being let out of the barn. You either have the goods or you don't and to be totally honest, it only takes about 5 minutes to see whether a kid has what it takes as a player.

Talent not being well used? I love the boys, the Coach and the program. It works and I admire their success. There are many that can only be envious. But I agree.

Well, all due respect but IMO, the Wing is fine. LC Byrd runs it and wins State Championships.

Must not have seen LC Bird play. Bird runs straight pro I. Smashmouth here we come stop it football with a very physical OL. They probably run 10-15 plays and run those plays effectively and will run it on 3rd and 10. Very well coached team

Old School-Coutland'd wing t and LT's veer are run very well. Coutland can't pass as well as LT but passes better than most wing t teams from way back. Both schools backs hit the holes very well. Don't under estimate the blcoking rules needed for those schemes.

Must not have seen LC Bird play. Bird runs straight pro I. Smashmouth here we come stop it football with a very physical OL. They probably run 10-15 plays and run those plays effectively and will run it on 3rd and 10. Very well coached team
Stand corrected

Hearing Charlottesville went 4-2 at the Millbrook 7 on 7 today and had the best record. I don't know who they played yet.

Last edited:
LCA already has students from around the entire country. There's no question they recruit. They simply do it in such a way, they meet VHSL rules. The kids are resident's of Lynchburg for more than 6 months of the year and therefore meet the requirements. Easy peazy. Also remember that the VHSL has no group to investigate such matters. If the paperwork on a player is acceptable, it's a done deal.
I agree with that Shauntclair because we have seen that in wrestling . There is no doubt there is great coaching in Christiansburg but they get wrestlers that are so good there parents move fron m New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Reactions: wikki
I will not make any predictions with Salem except to say the cupboard is not completely bare . The starting backfield is all back for Salem that started in the playoffs due to Coleman fox's injury . That includes Donte Clayborne, who had about 140 yards rushing against one of best, if not best defenses in Lake Taylor . That also includes Alex Ramsey, whose father played at Wake Forest . He scored 6 tds against G. W. Danville in playoffs. Riley Fox , rising junior, brother of Coleman, will get his shot . He is built more like his father, Rich who played fullback at VT. There is also a plethora of other RB,CB combinations, players who are still growing and are quick . They also have 3 year starters back on offensive line in Jake Barnett, Braxton Wall, and Dallas Herndon, all who have that possible division 2 or 3 look about them. One of these could possibly be D-1, which would follow in the tradition of Alex Light, now at Richmond and Zach Hoyt, who will be at VT, both outstanding offensive lineman for Salem. They have some possibilities at QB, one who is a better runner, and one who is a better passer who has been at Steve Spurrier camps last 2 years. The big questions will be QB and interior defensive line but with rising class should be OK.

Reactions: momomule
I agree with that Shauntclair because we have seen that in wrestling . There is no doubt there is great coaching in Christiansburg but they get wrestlers that are so good there parents move fron m New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

I know of a kid whose parents moved from out of state to Christiansburg exclusively to let there kid wrestle there. As a result, the kid got a full four year ride at Rider University. It was a legal transfer, and you sure can't argue with the outcome.

This has nothing to do with the original topic, but I thought it was worth sharing. Happy 4th on the 5th everyone.

I know we scrimmage bird the 19th or 20th. Would love to see Louisa there. It use to be Westfied, Bird, and Dinwiddie. Last year Henrico was the third team.

It appears to be Henrico again this year. But, these things are never set in stone for various reasons. I think the one at the Beach is usually even more in a state of flux. One thing is for certain, the Generals will be there, with something to prove.

I will not make any predictions with Salem except to say the cupboard is not completely bare . The starting backfield is all back for Salem that started in the playoffs due to Coleman fox's injury . That includes Donte Clayborne, who had about 140 yards rushing against one of best, if not best defenses in Lake Taylor . That also includes Alex Ramsey, whose father played at Wake Forest . He scored 6 tds against G. W. Danville in playoffs. Riley Fox , rising junior, brother of Coleman, will get his shot . He is built more like his father, Rich who played fullback at VT. There is also a plethora of other RB,CB combinations, players who are still growing and are quick . They also have 3 year starters back on offensive line in Jake Barnett, Braxton Wall, and Dallas Herndon, all who have that possible division 2 or 3 look about them. One of these could possibly be D-1, which would follow in the tradition of Alex Light, now at Richmond and Zach Hoyt, who will be at VT, both outstanding offensive lineman for Salem. They have some possibilities at QB, one who is a better runner, and one who is a better passer who has been at Steve Spurrier camps last 2 years. The big questions will be QB and interior defensive line but with rising class should be OK.
The QB position: one is Noah Beckley, who is the other possibility?

Salem is just Salem. Steadiest program in 4A. Never a down season. Really depends on the opponents and whether they can put up a fight against the Spartans, who don't need to return anyone to put a quality product on the field. Their opponents are mostly 3A schools. They should have no problem being at least 7 - 3 or 8 - 2. If Better than that, they get a high playoff seed and home field advantage for at least the 1st two rounds. Just your standard Spartan season. Ho hum. GL to them in 2015.

I would say Nick Wade may be the other option. I think a good Senior QB decided not to play.
He's a possibility, I'm guessing the edge would go to Beckley since he was the JV QB. Plus Wade is a year younger and more versatile and could be used at WR/CB. Beckley is a little taller/bigger and hasn't been used at other positions. I assume the SR QB you're referring to would be Jacob Chambers, he may have decided to not go through all the trouble to be second string? There have been several players in recent years to transfer or opt out because the competition is pretty tough. It's a shame because that provides your team with good depth and not as much drop-off between strings. Everybody wants to be the man, that is not a criticism of anyone, just more of a societal thing I guess.

Last edited:
Salem is just Salem. Steadiest program in 4A. Never a down season. Really depends on the opponents and whether they can put up a fight against the Spartans, who don't need to return anyone to put a quality product on the field. Their opponents are mostly 3A schools. They should have no problem being at least 7 - 3 or 8 - 2. If Better than that, they get a high playoff seed and home field advantage for at least the 1st two rounds. Just your standard Spartan season. Ho hum. GL to them in 2015.
This won't likely be a team that makes a return trip to Lynchburg. They should win at least 7 games, most difficult will be Amherst, Northside, and PH. I can see another 10 win season overall with the possibility of making the semifinals, but anything beyond that would be a good surprise. This team will likely be better next year in my opinion. I don't think their opponents being mostly 3a matters much, the toughest game will be against 3a Northside. They only get 3 OOD games and 2 should be really good tests. I'll be at the games cheering either way as long as I can hold up.

Last edited:
This won't likely be a team that makes a return trip to Lynchburg. They should win at least 7 games, most difficult will be Amherst, Northside, and PH. I can see another 10 win season overall with the possibility of making the semifinals, but anything beyond that would be a good surprise. This team will likely be better next year in my opinion. I don't think their opponents being mostly 3a matters much, the toughest game will be against 3a Northside. They only get 3 OOD games and 2 should be really good tests. I'll be at the games cheering either way as long as I can hold up.
Hope you are right about Amherst but not sure. One thing for sure is that there will be a great crowd

Hope you are right about Amherst but not sure. One thing for sure is that there will be a great crowd
I hope Salem fans will travel well. It's a longer trip than most and Amherst was down for 2 years. Your experience with Salem traveling was also during the playoffs. It's hard to say how fans will respond knowing last year was the best team they've had in years and they came up short. Will last year's run energize fans or will they wait around to see how this year's team will be considering all of the losses to graduation?

If they can get wrestlers to move to Virginia from Pennsylvania and Jersey they must be great recruiters.

I hope Salem fans will travel well. It's a longer trip than most and Amherst was down for 2 years. Your experience with Salem traveling was also during the playoffs. It's hard to say how fans will respond knowing last year was the best team they've had in years and they came up short. Will last year's run energize fans or will they wait around to see how this year's team will be considering all of the losses to graduation?

I don't think it will be a packed house like for the playoffs, but I know Amherst and since it is Salem it will be almost full on the home side, if not, I will surprised. For the last several years, the attendance has dropped some The last time we played Salem at Amherst, fans were there two hours before the game and we had extra bleachers brought in. The atmosphere was awesome. Maybe one day it will get back to that. I miss those days

He's a possibility, I'm guessing the edge would go to Beckley since he was the JV QB. Plus Wade is a year younger and more versatile and could be used at WR/CB. Beckley is a little taller/bigger and hasn't been used at other positions. I assume the SR QB you're referring to would be Jacob Chambers, he may have decided to not go through all the trouble to be second string? There have been several players in recent years to transfer or opt out because the competition is pretty tough. It's a shame because that provides your team with good depth and not as much drop-off between strings. Everybody wants to be the man, that is not a criticism of anyone, just more of a societal thing I guess.

Yeah, I was talking about Jacob Chambers. He's not a bad choice for QB. I tend to lean towards maturity for the position. I would like to see Chambers and Beckley compete for the position. There are others on the team that can play QB, but won't give up defense. In my opinion, Salem should not shy away from a big QB that can run and play both sides of the ball. Not letting a QB play defense narrows the QB selection pool. Salem ends up with a QB that stays in the pocket or hands the ball off to a player. I would love to see a running QB. Maybe Beckley or Wade can fill that role?

Yeah, I was talking about Jacob Chambers. He's not a bad choice for QB. I tend to lean towards maturity for the position. I would like to see Chambers and Beckley compete for the position. There are others on the team that can play QB, but won't give up defense. In my opinion, Salem should not shy away from a big QB that can run and play both sides of the ball. Not letting a QB play defense narrows the QB selection pool. Salem ends up with a QB that stays in the pocket or hands the ball off to a player. I would love to see a running QB. Maybe Beckley or Wade can fill that role?
Beckley can run if a play breaks down. In JV he ran more than the traditional Salem QB does. He's not as mobile or as versatile as Wade, but he can get the job done. I don't think they've had a true mobile QB since Gaines in '05. There are very few cases where they call a QB draw or designed run from that position. I think the coaches like to limit the QB to that position to minimize the potential for injury.

Beckley can run if a play breaks down. In JV he ran more than the traditional Salem QB does. He's not as mobile or as versatile as Wade, but he can get the job done. I don't think they've had a true mobile QB since Gaines in '05. There are very few cases where they call a QB draw or designed run from that position. I think the coaches like to limit the QB to that position to minimize the potential for injury.

I know, but I'm a risk taker! Salem can be/is deep at several positions. I'd like to see another QB like Gaines!

As tough as 4a ball is now conventional wisdom & conservative play may have to be rethought. What used to work may not work as well as before. The play calling has opened up since they got Pitts from CS, but the bottom line is personnel. I'm not sure we've ever had a player like Johnson from LT that is big, mobile, has a good arm, & good instincts on when to run/pass.

As tough as 4a ball is now conventional wisdom & conservative play may have to be rethought. What used to work may not work as well as before. The play calling has opened up since they got Pitts from CS, but the bottom line is personnel. I'm not sure we've ever had a player like Johnson from LT that is big, mobile, has a good arm, & good instincts on when to run/pass.

Play-calling and scheme are vastly overrated, especially when you get deep in the playoffs. You're not going to outsmart anybody. Execution is what counts.

Look, I'm not saying that C-burg isn't a great program or that kids from there don't get scholarships. What I'm saying is that, as a recruiting hotbed, Virginia is't on the same level as NJ or PA. For that reason I can't see coaches from VA illegally recruiting kids from there.

Over the years there have been players at Phoebus who have moved in from Texas. Were they recruited? Of course not. Moving to Virginia from Texas to get a football scholarship wouldn't make sense. Virginia HS football is good and the state is well recruited. Texas, though, is on a completely different level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT