ADVERTISEMENT

Outlook on 2015 season

LT93Bunny

VaPreps Rookie
Sep 25, 2012
What is everyone's opinion on the upcoming football season? Who has big stars returning? Who has the best chance to win the title in 4A? Who do you think will be a team on the rise with a good season? Who will be the team with a huge drop of from last year? Who will be the newcomer that will make some noise?

I think Sherando will rep the West but the cross bracketing leaves doubt. The East is even tougher to choose. LT, Dinwiddie and so many other tough teams. I think GW takes a big drop. Their offensive loses are too high. Jefferson Forest will be down too without Navy Jones. Surprises do happen. JF was last year. Tough to predict this year. Could be anyone but I'll put my long shot on Chancellor being a surprise. They have a very talented young QB and a mostly Junior team that also has 2 years of Starting Varsity play. That combination doesn't happen often so that's my pick.

4A Title is tough but smart money will be on an East team. With the cross-bracketing, it may be the only bet available in the Final.

If I am not mistaken, Navy Jones will be a senior next year, but I do believe the QB will graduate this year.

4A Title is tough but smart money will be on an East team. With the cross-bracketing, it may be the only bet available in the Final.

Where are you getting cross bracketing from? I have not heard anywhere where 4A will cross bracket. In East we voted to go two pods and then the semifinals in the East will cross bracket but I have not seen anywhere that East and West will cross bracket.

Courtland is loaded with 4 D1 players returning in Vic Greene (VT commit) Jabari Allen (Liberty, Towson offers), Nick Grant (UVA Commit) and Ben Beatty (Army offer) not to mention guys like Chet Wilborne, Cheetham and the Hokenson brothers who should all play at some level in college. Really think this is the year we get over the top and make a run to that final game. JC has been so close a few times just got a feeling we get it done this year!

Reactions: danbeatty65
Sounds like they will be good. Watch out for Courtland!! I think Charlottesville will surprise some people since I got some insider information. Also, we have A LOT coming back at LT so we will be ready for all challengers. We have a lot of kids with D1 offers also by the way.

Reactions: gen4ever
Sounds like they will be good. Watch out for Courtland!! I think Charlottesville will surprise some people since I got some insider information. Also, we have A LOT coming back at LT so we will be ready for all challengers. We have a lot of kids with D1 offers also by the way.
I fully expect Courtland and Lake Taylor to play each other late in the postseason. You guys are definitely on top of the mountain and we will have to knock you guys off to get where we want to go, certainly didn't mean to downplay you guys just think something special is getting ready to happen this coming season.

I think Dinwiddie will have to say something about whether one of these teams is playing late. They will be a year better and are extremely well coached.

Reactions: gen4ever
Sherando will be very solid this year, lost the first 7x7 game this after about 15 games so far to Highland springs 20-18. I though they should have won it , if interceptions would have counted as a point I think they would have won it. It's really hard to tell right now , if the O line gels, then they should be a state qualifying caliber team. I will say for Sherando to be successful in the playground games, is a positive because if SHS has a lethal passing game to go along with almost continuous brutal ground game, then we should see a successful season. We will know in the first few weeks , with the schedule opening at Louisa, Martinsburg, Eastern View. Find out then , if the hard work is going to pay off

Can't say Salem won't be getting back to the final. They will be tough as usual and having one of the best coaches in the state in Mags makes it just that much easier. Lost Fox, their QB, Isaiah, and a core group of seniors that will be hard to replace and if they don't live up to expectations don't be surprised to see Salem as one of the final 4 teams in 4a North which I think will be Salem, Sherando (probably the best team in 4a North this year), JF (because Coach Christmas is the real deal), and GW (LOTS of athletes and an improved defense). It will be interesting!

Reactions: Lewis918777
Lake Taylor over LCA in the state finals. LCA will then see what type of athletes they need to win state and will start recruiting those athletes. That will be the LAST time a public school wins state in 4A. The LCA dynasty will start in 2016 because their ability to recruit in Lynchburg, Salem, Danville, Roanoke and other places will be to much, even for mighty Lake Taylor. The Seminole will become a joke as LCA will consistently dominate the local teams with their brand of Central Virginia Allstars.

Lake Taylor over LCA in the state finals. LCA will then see what type of athletes they need to win state and will start recruiting those athletes. That will be the LAST time a public school wins state in 4A. The LCA dynasty will start in 2016 because their ability to recruit in Lynchburg, Salem, Danville, Roanoke and other places will be to much, even for mighty Lake Taylor. The Seminole will become a joke as LCA will consistently dominate the local teams with their brand of Central Virginia Allstars.

Very true. LCA will DOMINATE!

I'm sorry guys, but I'm not ready to concede yet and say LCA will dominate 4A. They have struggled the last two years against Amherst they aren't the big bad wolves. True they have deep pockets, but they will have to follow some type of VHSL recruiting guidelines.

Where are you getting cross bracketing from? I have not heard anywhere where 4A will cross bracket. In East we voted to go two pods and then the semifinals in the East will cross bracket but I have not seen anywhere that East and West will cross bracket.
It was my understanding, the final 4 is cross bracketed which could make for an all East final. If that's not accurate, I stand corrected.

If I am not mistaken, Navy Jones will be a senior next year, but I do believe the QB will graduate this year.
I stand corrected. Jones will return for JF as a Senior in 2015. The QB did graduate but Jones was the big gun on offense and his return automatically keeps them in the mix. Thanks for the accurate update.

I've seen LCA play a few games over the last few years and I saw Lake Taylor in the title game last year, currently there is no comparison. LCA will probably take a few years to get their feet under them. I expect they'll do pretty well in 4a West maybe making a championship game in 5-10 years. There is such a divide between West and East right now and imo LCA is nowhere close right now to closing that gap. Until they play a full Seminole schedule (probably '17) I don't see them jumping up to the upper echelon of 4a West. The Seminole District should prepare them to compete in 4a in a few years. I expect they'll make the playoffs, but ramping up to a top 10 4a team will take some time.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I've seen LCA play a few games over the last few years and I saw Lake Taylor in the title game last year, currently there is no comparison. LCA will probably take a few years to get their feet under them. I expect they'll do pretty well in 4a West maybe making a championship game in 5-10 years. There is such a divide between West and East right now and imo LCA is nowhere close right now to closing that gap. Until they play a full Seminole schedule (probably '17) I don't see them jumping up to the upper echelon of 4a West. The Seminole District should prepare them to compete in 4a in a few years. I expect they'll make the playoffs, but ramping up to a top 10 4a team will take some time.
[/QUOTE]
Now this seems reasonable.

LCA will bring in the recruits they need to dominate. Private schools are doing this all across the country. Virginia will not be any different. LCA will eventually come to dominate 4A.

Now a school that would really dominate, like today, if they joined the VHSL, is Woodberry Forest. That would really suck.

Coach Christmas better get someone to coach up that defense because as good as they were on offense they were NOT a good defensive team at all! Navy Jones makes their special teams SPECIAL! Dominion is a team people should pay attention to as well.

Reactions: one man
Now a school that would really dominate, like today, if they joined the VHSL, is Woodberry Forest. That would really suck.
I think Woodberry Forest is another team that's smoke and mirrors. They have 1 maybe 2 D1 kids and then everyone else is no better than what you see at a typical 2-3a school. That's just my opinion on what I have seen personally in the past with them

LCA will bring in the recruits they need to dominate. Private schools are doing this all across the country. Virginia will not be any different. LCA will eventually come to dominate 4A.
If they bring in recruits they are violating VHSL policy

Courtland will choke somewhere along the way, or they will make it deep and get flat out beat by a team that they won't be able to match offensively
Obviously, I don't like to hear this about my blueberries but it has a point. They were poised to take the lead against Sherando in 2013 and fumbled. That doesn't happen at Courtland but it did. In 2014, the team didn't get off the bus till halftime against GW. That also doesn't happen in CougarLand, but it did.

They can match any offense this year. The question is will they use it? I've watched them for years and can practically call every play they will run and when. For example, if you turn the ball over to Courtland anywhere past their own 40, the next play will invariably be the long fade down the left sideline. Hall loves to go for the jugular in such situations. Other than that, I have NEVER seen Courtland throw on 1st down. So much talent. So absolutely predictable. The philosophy is out execute and make no mistakes. They do that well and there's no question they have evolved over the years offensively to create more balance but my Cougars aren't going to beat you by out smarting you or using the incredible array of talent they currently have. They will run the basics and say stop us if you can. Nothing will change from what opponents see on film. I don't think that gets you to the final. They'll be very, very good this year and tough to stop but they are so predictable, I can't see them getting to the final in the East.

If they bring in recruits they are violating VHSL policy
LCA already has students from around the entire country. There's no question they recruit. They simply do it in such a way, they meet VHSL rules. The kids are resident's of Lynchburg for more than 6 months of the year and therefore meet the requirements. Easy peazy. Also remember that the VHSL has no group to investigate such matters. If the paperwork on a player is acceptable, it's a done deal.

Obviously, I don't like to hear this about my blueberries but it has a point. They were poised to take the lead against Sherando in 2013 and fumbled. That doesn't happen at Courtland but it did. In 2014, the team didn't get off the bus till halftime against GW. That also doesn't happen in CougarLand, but it did.

They can match any offense this year. The question is will they use it? I've watched them for years and can practically call every play they will run and when. For example, if you turn the ball over to Courtland anywhere past their own 40, the next play will invariably be the long fade down the left sideline. Hall loves to go for the jugular in such situations. Other than that, I have NEVER seen Courtland throw on 1st down. So much talent. So absolutely predictable. The philosophy is out execute and make no mistakes. They do that well and there's no question they have evolved over the years offensively to create more balance but my Cougars aren't going to beat you by out smarting you or using the incredible array of talent they currently have. They will run the basics and say stop us if you can. Nothing will change from what opponents see on film. I don't think that gets you to the final. They'll be very, very good this year and tough to stop but they are so predictable, I can't see them getting to the final in the East.
Coach Hall knows what works, but he will be able to tweak the wing-T enough to use his athletes and get over the hump this year. The D should be very stout and there are too many weapons on O to say someone will just out O them. I'm not saying we are the favorites to win it all but we should be there towards the end.

You are putting a lot of eyes on a team that made an early playoff exit and got dismantled by Massaponax last season. I would fly under the radar, but hey who else is going to stick up for your team if you don't so I get it. All eyes are now on Courtland and every mistake or loss will be scrutinized. Who are they playing OOD this year?

GW will be very athletic and there is no way in there will be a large drop off. With respect to Courtland they are well coached and run the wing T very well. They did not have the speed of GW at WR and the defensive backs. Think LT is still the favorite. Really like the young lineman they have-Salem could not handle him. LT is also well coached in all phases.

One Man, if it's the same teams as last weekend, can't say I really know but it was Hayfield, JR Tucker, Handley, Tuscarora, highland springs. The ones I can remember, I would assume it will be a host of new teams this week. I actually didn't know they were doing it again this week. good Luck! Made a mistake earlier it was tuscarora we lost to , not the springers.

You are putting a lot of eyes on a team that made an early playoff exit and got dismantled by Massaponax last season. I would fly under the radar, but hey who else is going to stick up for your team if you don't so I get it. All eyes are now on Courtland and every mistake or loss will be scrutinized. Who are they playing OOD this year?
If a former player/current supporter banging the drum on a message board makes our expectations higher HS football has gone crazy, I doubt many if any of the current cougars even read these boards. All that being said your right I got to support my school! We play Ponax, Riverbend, Faquier, Liberty and Louisa outside of the battlefield schedule. It is hard for me to keep up with the conferences since they weren't around when I played but I believe Faquier and Liberty were in our conference last year but arent for next season?

Yeah, he knows how to use talent for sure! That's why against Danville they didn't put their stud at QB because he was their "best blocking WR" Courtland will run the table in the regular season with challenges from Ponax and JM but then either bow out early as a choke job or lose in the state semi final in which they won't be able to keep up because of their ancient offense

@MaximusDecimusMeridius That "ancient offense" works, whether you like it or not. Courtland's offense hasn't been the problem, it's the defense.

I believe Centreville recently won a state championship running that "ancient offense".

Last edited:
Reactions: hamspear
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT