ADVERTISEMENT

Parking

Is there enough? Or will it be a headache?
Well, I don't think it will be horrible, but I would get there as early as possible. There is something like 12,000 seats, so I'm sure there is enough parking within reasonable proximity to the stadium for most of the crowd.

Would anyone want to venture a guess as to how many fans will be at the game. I'm asking total, whether they are there for one game, or both games?

Well, I don't think it will be horrible, but I would get there as early as possible. There is something like 12,000 seats, so I'm sure there is enough parking within reasonable proximity to the Stadium.

Would anyone want to venture a guess as to how many fans will be at the game. I'm asking total, whether they are there for one game, or both games?
probably half the crowd size compared to what it would have been in Lynchburg or Charlottesville

I'm sure Salem will have the most fan support
Won't be anywhere near Dinwiddie. 3/4 drive. Salem has an older fan base than a lot of schools. Drive down not bad but 3/4 hours back at night when your leaving at 6 30 stinks

This will be a test of Salem support- the final not the usual 35 minutes away. 4,000 total ? If

Won't be anywhere near Dinwiddie. 3/4 drive. Salem has an older fan base than a lot of schools. Drive down not bad but 3/4 hours back at night when your leaving at 6 30 stinks
Game will be over close to 7 pm not including ceromony after. Why not stay over? Plenty of motels.

Dinwiddie pre-sold 1000 tickets. I think it's safe to say that double that will be the Dinwiddie attendance. Hopefully more. Does anyone know how the pre-sell of tickets went at the other three schools?

Sounds like a Chamber of Commerce plug! LOL.
Ha -ha! What's better - driving in the dark for hours or dinner at Carabbas with a few drinks and a nice nights sleep and a visit to Merchants Square with the skating rink afterwords!! If

Richmond or Charlottesville for Division 4,5,6. Salem. or JMu for Divisions 1,2,3. Williamsburg is stupid

Salem leaving in the morning
That should be fine with a 4:30 start. With the size of Virginia the finals location will always be an issue. Salem, Roanoke etc think Williamsburg is stupid. Newport News, Norfolk, Virginia Beach think Lynchburg is rediculous. Nova ? I don't know. Richmond area - a lot closer to Williamsburg than Lynchburg or Jmu. Charlottesville / about even.

I'll just have to do my part to support the local economy tomorrow morning by spending some money at Paul's or The College Deli.

Reactions: Lafayette
That should be fine with a 4:30 start. With the size of Virginia the finals location will always be an issue. Salem, Roanoke etc think Williamsburg is stupid. Newport News, Norfolk, Virginia Beach think Lynchburg is rediculous. Nova ? I don't know. Richmond area - a lot closer to Williamsburg than Lynchburg or Jmu. Charlottesville / about even.
I didn't say lynchburg. Williamsburg stupid

Would love to stay over, but family obligations and pets will make it a trip down and back on the same day. Salem team is also down and back same day. I'm sure the budget doesn't allow for an overnight stay. Sigh...

Would love to stay over, but family obligations and pets will make it a trip down and back on the same day. Salem team is also down and back same day. I'm sure the budget doesn't allow for an overnight stay. Sigh...
That's a long day but budget restraints are everywhere and I have pets also so it is tough. But at 16-17 they can take it!

This will be a test of Salem support- the final not the usual 35 minutes away. 4,000 total ? If
Seems a 4000 attendance estimate answers the parking question pretty easily when the stadium holds 12000.

Liberty will be no more than an afterthought after the W&M experience. It's the difference between the County Fair and Disneyland. Take the whole weekend. Your wives will request a return trip. They will NEVER turn down a return to Williamsburg during the Holiday season. These players have experienced LU's locker room before. They will be blown out of the water by W&Ms.

When in doubt of the route to take, use the WAV application that's easily downloadable to your smart phone. It's also free and really, really works. Do exactly what it says. You'll be amazed.

Last edited:
Dinwiddie will have the most. I have been to every state game at LU from the beginning. Dinwiddie had more than Salem. The Amherst and Louisa game still has the record with over 14,000. Christiansburg also had a very good crowd when they played

"Salem, Roanoke etc think Williamsburg is stupid."

I don't. I'm in the Burg right now, ready to hit the hay.

Why are we still whining about the site? I just don't get it. For peat sake Salem fans have to travel for once. Salem had a 1 hour 15 minute trip to Liberty for two years, well Dinwiddie has to drive 1 hour and 20 minutes tomorrow. Sherando and Lake Taylor had to drive about the same distance to Lynchburg (3 1/2 hours). Essex drove to Salem for two years 4+hours and Sussex is doing it this year. I didnt or have not heard complaints from those teams. Its the State Championship.

No matter how nice things turn out tomorrow people will find a reason to gripe.

Navy Nation would show up if we played in Grundy or a hay field in Dublin. Let the kids enjoy the experience. Hate to say this, but if you dont like the drive stay home and kick the dog. I am going to enjoy both games just like I have since 2013.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Why are we still whining about the site? I just don't get it. For peat sake Salem fans have to travel for once. Salem had a 1 hour 15 minute trip to Liberty for two years, well Dinwiddie has to drive 1 hour and 20 minutes tomorrow. Sherando and Lake Taylor had to drive about the same distance to Lynchburg (3 1/2 hours). Essex drove to Salem for two years 4+hours and Sussex is doing it this year. I didnt or have not heard complaints from those teams. Its the State Championship.

No matter how nice things turn out tomorrow people will find a reason to gripe.

Navy Nation would show up if we played in Grundy or a hay field in Dublin. Let the kids enjoy the experience. Hate to say this, but if you dont like the drive stay home and kick the dog. I am going to enjoy both games just like I have since 2013.
I agree with this Navy but I think Southbottoms main point was that Richmond or Charlottesville makes more since for all parties involved.. not just Salem. I tend to agree.. the State Championship needs to be more centralized in order to maximize fan turnout. If today's games were in CVille my guess is there would be 4k + more fans show up for the two games. That makes for a much better game day autmoaphere for the players and makes the Vhsl more $$$$. It's a win/win.

Not a budget thing. Was philosophy of Willis White for kids to sleep in own bed. Mags has carried it on

The parking was the worst we have ever seen. 27th State Championship in a row a buddy and I have been to and it was a nightmare. We won't go back to see a game there for any reason

Reactions: OCBoy
I got there at about 1 30 and had no problems. Figured it would get bad in between games with people arriving and leaving at same time. I made that mistake last year

I got there at about 1 30 and had no problems. Figured it would get bad in between games with people arriving and leaving at same time. I made that mistake last year

No problems here either. Parked at William and Mary Hall, as I was advised to do when I called down there. Probably a shorter walk going in than we had at LU, and a short wait to get in a line of cars when exiting.

The parking was the worst we have ever seen. 27th State Championship in a row a buddy and I have been to and it was a nightmare. We won't go back to see a game there for any reason
When you're in Mid-town Manhattan and want to go down town, Broadway is the most direct route. But it can take up to 2 hours of frustration to get there. Of course, smart folks jump over to 2nd avenue and get there in 20 minutes.

Getting their at 1 30 I was wondering why the streets were packed with cars. Knowing that most 4A fans were not there yet, something didn't seem right. I had asked an older lady in Williamsburg where to park and she told me of a big lot at Kaplan Hall I believe. I did what she said and found a huge open lot with the direction of parking attendants. No problems. I think most people just won't ask questions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT