ADVERTISEMENT

Passing Rule Changes

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
I heard that there are some changes coming to the passing game in high school. Can any officials out there tell me if this is true?

First, Offensive PI and Defensive PI are now just a 15 yard penalty with no associated loss of down (Off PI) or automatic 1st down (Def PI). Is this correct?

Second, if a player jumps to make a catch from the playing surface and is in bounds, then catches the ball in bounds but is carried out of bounds by a defender, it is a good catch?

You are correct that the enforcements no longer carry the loss-of-down or automatic first down components.

There had been a big push in recent years to get rid of the loss of down portion. The NFHS, for some reason, felt that this would make the penalty unbalanced if defensive PI was an auto first but offensive PI was just 15 yards. (Never mind that all other levels of football have it this way).

As for the carry out rule, that's really just a small tweak. Last year the rule was changed so that a player had to come down inbounds to complete a catch. Being forced out before the catch is made is now good defense.

The change that was made is simple and most likely never happened. The way the rule change was written last year a player had to touch inbounds in all circumstances to complete the catch, so it would have been possible for a defender to catch a receiver anywhere and carry him to the sidelines. (imagine the receiver was reaching high and a defender wrapped him around the waist and carried him over his shoulder from the middle of the field to the sidelines.) The new rule changes that highly unlikely scenario.

A FORCE OUT = good defense, no catch.

A CARRY OUT = can be ruled complete in the field of play.

This post was edited on 8/12 7:23 PM by White hat

So I make sure I get this correct: if a receiver is standing in bounds along the sideline, jumps and makes a catch, and the defender simply pushes the receiver so he lands out of bounds it is good defense / no catch. However, if he carries the receiver out, as you described, it could be ruled a good catch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT