ADVERTISEMENT

Path has been cleared for East Rockingham with upset of Appomattox.

No offense to you directly, but That’s a lame excuse for an explanation of losing a football game.

I did watch (most) of the game. I understand that Appomattox turned the ball over more than they’re probably used to but Radford has been turning teams over all year. They constantly put theirselves in position to put the other teams’ offense in a bad spot.

I watched PJ Prioleau outrun the defense more than once. Was that Appomattox beating theirselves or just getting beat?
Not gonna debate it any further as its over and no talk will change it. Ill just respect your opinion as i always have.

Reactions: eh31
Not yet. Radford is the new man
This ain’t the WCW...besides the “4 horsemen” left all have a chance at being “the man”. IMHO, East Rock will the limousine riding, kiss stealing, wheeling-dealing son of a gun.

I realize these references may be too old for many to get

Eh31!! I am taking it that you are a radford fan , I haven’t seen you on the 2A sites much this year. If you are any kind of a football fan and you watched that game you have to know that game had a 2 touchdown swing by with blocked field goal returned for a TD never happens and then the recovery on the kick off . So appo definitely did not help them selves any , now the runs up the middle for sure was the running back getting lose and stoping appo on the 4th down play at the goal line was the difference in the game
! Don’t get me wrong that’s football and you take it anyway you can get so , your welcome for the gift we’re were just in the mood for giving this year .

Regardless of how they won, Radford won and deserve all the credit in the world for the victory. No excuses.

Reactions: obguthr
This ain’t the WCW...besides the “4 horsemen” left all have a chance at being “the man”. IMHO, East Rock will the limousine riding, kiss stealing, wheeling-dealing son of a gun.

I realize these references may be too old for many to get
WCW is fake. Hey I understand that we have four teams left. Radford has taken the first step by beating Appomattox. I just think it’s funny that someone thought the team that beat Appomattox would be easier.

Reactions: obguthr and eh31
Here is the percentages from the Bracket Challenge.

To make the final game:
ER- 72%
Appo- 64%
Poquoson- 16%
Goochland- 12%
Graham- 12%
Ridgeview- 12%
Glenvar- 8%
Radford- 4%

To win the Championship:
ER- 44%
Appo- 24%
Goochland- 12%
Poquoson- 12%
Glenvar- 4%
Graham- 4%
Radford- 0%
Ridgeview- 0%

This is out of 25 posters. That seems like a favorite

SFUWO...match ups between teams are more important than who beat who. Could be that the poster felt one team matched up better than another. Not unusual at all.

Match ups match ups match ups. Key factor with any type of weather both play huge roles in games. Only way they don’t is if 1 team is just far superior than their opponent. Usually not the case when in final 4.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
SFUWO...match ups between teams are more important than who beat who. Could be that the poster felt one team matched up better than another. Not unusual at all.
Yes I know matchups are the most important part of the game. The poster did not mention anything in reference to matchups. In my opinion this post was hilarious from the start. ER would have probably beaten Appomattox anyway.

Match ups match ups match ups. Key factor with any type of weather both play huge roles in games. Only way they don’t is if 1 team is just far superior than their opponent. Usually not the case when in final 4.
So who does ER matchup better with. No one has stated why they matchup better vs Radford than Appomattox. I don’t know much about ER.

So who does ER matchup better with. No one has stated why they matchup better vs Radford than Appomattox.
Lol. You don’t see me saying they do. I haven’t seen the other 3 schools. I do know that East Rock is very good but I’m not saying any of the remaining 4 schools are better than the others. I don’t play that game without seeing other schools and their schemes etc. I don’t like playing the guessing game. All I’m saying is matchups/weather are huge when it comes to teams playing one another. I.e. style of play etc. etc.

Reactions: SFUWO
Lol. You don’t see me saying they do. I haven’t seen the other 3 schools. I do know that East Rock is very good but I’m not saying any of the remaining 4 schools are better than the others. I don’t play that game without seeing other schools and their schemes etc. I don’t like playing the guessing game.
I was asking an honest question. Not trying to be funny. I know about 3 of the teams just not ER.

I was asking an honest question. Not trying to be funny. I know about 3 of the teams just not ER.
Good size. Tremendous amount of speed and will be weight room strong. Running back can literally go to the house on every touch. Opposing teams hold their breath till he goes down. They will spread you out with a sneaky good passing game as well. QB just makes play after play. 20 some seniors so they have been through the battles for past couple years. Within the Shenandoah district they have seen a lot of different styles of play. The only one I don’t know if they have seen is a true “spread” team that wants to throw it 25 times. I’m not saying that’s how you beat them either but they will be a tough out just like the other 3 schools.

What would you say is Radfords strength? How about Graham? And Goochland?

I will take a shot at laying out what the Eagles bring to the table. ER is not one dimensional and are fairly balanced offensively (or can be). Defensively they have speed and size in spades. They have played against power run teams and spread RPO squads with success.

I don’t see any team getting much more than 21-24. In most playoff cases that would be enough but the opposing team better be extremely stout defensively because they have multiple weapons to put points up themselves.

Do not sleep on Radford. One of the most discipline, well coached, solid in all areas teams I've seen. They have excellent special teams and can play the field position game as good as anyone. One of best punters and kickers I've seen in state. Defense plays discipline and gives up very few big plays. They are great at kicking it in end zone or punting and pinning people deep. They make you drive the field. Saw Gretna and Appomattox move the ball but Radford always bowed up in red zone. Appomattox first couple drives, drove field but had to settle for FG. Second one Radford blocked and ran back for touchdown. They might not win it but think they not getting respect they deserve.
I agree but with most of your comment. Very disciplined and smart play. So it’s a
Do not sleep on Radford. One of the most discipline, well coached, solid in all areas teams I've seen. They have excellent special teams and can play the field position game as good as anyone. One of best punters and kickers I've seen in state. Defense plays discipline and gives up very few big plays. They are great at kicking it in end zone or punting and pinning people deep. They make you drive the field. Saw Gretna and Appomattox move the ball but Radford always bowed up in red zone. Appomattox first couple drives, drove field but had to settle for FG. Second one Radford blocked and ran back for touchdown. They might not win it but think they not getting respect they deserve.
I agree with Radford being smart and disciplined. Against Appo Radford walked everyone in the box and our passing game was not consisent enough to make them back out and honor the pass. Also our line did not get the job done at times against the Radford front. Appo is missing our previous O-Line coaches. Coach Cox was really missed this year. No excuses but along with losing 17 Seniors Appo lost 5 coaches that didnt get replaced. We had a great year and look forward to what we put on the field next year. Our QB( who matured every game and did an awesome job)will get better in his passing and hopefully we will have a lot more experience on both sides of the ball.I hope Radford takes it all as they are our Region C Champion. I am sure there will be some great football games left the next two weeks.

Last edited:
No offense to you directly, but That’s a lame excuse for an explanation of losing a football game.

I did watch (most) of the game. I understand that Appomattox turned the ball over more than they’re probably used to but Radford has been turning teams over all year. They constantly put theirselves in position to put the other teams’ offense in a bad spot.

I watched PJ Prioleau outrun the defense more than once. Was that Appomattox beating theirselves or just getting beat?
After all that being said about Radford, on legit offense drives Radford Scored twice. The other two came from a kickoff recovery then they made a drive which makes 21. The other was PAT blocked kick that our PAT holder picked up and made a mental error and should have just went down. Play over. Instead he tried to run with it, fumbled it, looked like he just threw it on ground but then was scooped up and ran back for a TD by Radford. That's one area we beat ourselves.The other 2 was a freshman QB throwing the ball up for grabs instead of throwing it away, that's from inexperience. He will grow. Take them 7 back from the blocked PATvand Appo had a real chance to pull off the win 25-21 or 23-21 even after all the other stuff.... Appo made all there 28 points on legit offensive drives. Beside a Kickoff run back for a TD. No turnover from Bobcats did we capitalize on. Which I applaud Bobcats for ball control. If Appo was on there A game Appo wins... But that wasn't the case.... Let me be straight, I am NOT making excuses I'm calling it how I saw it cause I saw the WHOLE game, not "most' of it....

On the other side, if the roles was reversed and and all that happened to Radford I would have said the same thing for them. I would have said Radford beat themselves if Appo won in the manner Radford did.

Just a straight forward fan. Is what it is... PO1 will be back stronger in 19 hopefully to see Radford come to Appomattox. Great atmosphere at Bragg Stadium. Fans gotta tightin up for Radford. Seen a lot of empty seats. #PO1

Reactions: Stabler1980
Would love to see VHSL bring all the state finals games to 1 site ,that would be some awesome fun for all the high school fans ! LU is the perfect location, 3 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday . Appo - lee played on Sunday last year !

After all that being said about Radford, on legit offense drives Radford Scored twice. The other two came from a kickoff recovery then they made a drive which makes 21. The other was PAT blocked kick that our PAT holder picked up and made a mental error and should have just went down. Play over. Instead he tried to run with it, fumbled it, looked like he just threw it on ground but then was scooped up and ran back for a TD by Radford. That's one area we beat ourselves.The other 2 was a freshman QB throwing the ball up for grabs instead of throwing it away, that's from inexperience. He will grow. Take them 7 back from the blocked PATvand Appo had a real chance to pull off the win 25-21 or 23-21 even after all the other stuff.... Appo made all there 28 points on legit offensive drives. Beside a Kickoff run back for a TD. No turnover from Bobcats did we capitalize on. Which I applaud Bobcats for ball control. If Appo was on there A game Appo wins... But that wasn't the case.... Let me be straight, I am NOT making excuses I'm calling it how I saw it cause I saw the WHOLE game, not "most' of it....

On the other side, if the roles was reversed and and all that happened to Radford I would have said the same thing for them. I would have said Radford beat themselves if Appo won in the manner Radford did.

Just a straight forward fan. Is what it is... PO1 will be back stronger in 19 hopefully to see Radford come to Appomattox. Great atmosphere at Bragg Stadium. Fans gotta tightin up for Radford. Seen a lot of empty seats. #PO1

Doug Smith on the kickoff that Radford recovered..

“We’d seen it and knew it could be coming,” Smith said. “They did a great job executing it and we didn’t do a good job covering it.”

Smart coaching there by Saunders. Radford took advantage of something they thought would work. Smith says he knew it was coming and Radford still executed better on that play to recover the ball with good Field position. Say it wasn’t a legit offensive drive if you want to but radford put their offense on the field and Appomattox couldn’t stop them from scoring a touchdown.

Radford did scoop up the kick block and run it back for a td. That’s one special teams TD. Appomattox also had a special teams td.

You said Take away the 7 points that Radford got from that play and Appo could’ve won. Well even if they didn’t run it back for a td they still blocked the kick and recovered it which means it would’ve been their ball. Who’s to say Appomattox would’ve stopped Radford’s offense from scoring on that drive?

All I’m trying to do here is to argue the other side. You can think Appomattox was the better team but made too many mistakes. I think Radford’s gameplan put Appomattox in the position to make those mistakes and they capitalized on them. Appomattox had the same opportunities to make Radford turn the ball over and they couldn’t.

I honestly don’t think it would’ve mattered who won the game though because I can’t see either one of them playing with graham.

I will say though, congrats to Radford on the turnaround season. Last year in their first season playing in 2A they went 2-8. This season they open up with a very bad loss to 1A Galax and now they’ve rattled off 12 in a row and beat the 3 time defending champs. Their QB & RB are just sophomores. They should be very good in the years to come.

Pretty sure Coach Smith was talking about the half back pass for a TD and not the squib kick
That was just a squib that wasn’t fielded cleanly.

Congrats to Matt and his team.

Okay, take that same approach to Union/Appo in 2017. Special team mistakes by Union, a couple bad calls, etc.... And you Appo folks took me to the woodshed because I suggested Union beat Appo more than Appo beat Union. And now this year, when shoe is on other foot, you break out this post.
I think it's hilarious and ironic.

Here is the percentages from the Bracket Challenge.

To make the final game:
ER- 72%
Appo- 64%
Poquoson- 16%
Goochland- 12%
Graham- 12%
Ridgeview- 12%
Glenvar- 8%
Radford- 4%

To win the Championship:
ER- 44%
Appo- 24%
Goochland- 12%
Poquoson- 12%
Glenvar- 4%
Graham- 4%
Radford- 0%
Ridgeview- 0%

This is out of 25 posters. That seems like a favorite

For Graham to have only been 12% to make the final game, it could either mean #1. a sign that not many of those posters knew anything about them. OR #2. There was several Graham fans out of those 25 that were sandbagging very hard.

I mean that as no disrespect to Radford at all as all 4 teams that are left are great teams obviously. But I'd be very shocked if Graham doesnt make it to the final game and win it all. And this is coming from someone that's far from being a Graham fan.

For Graham to have only been 12% to make the final game, it could either mean #1. a sign that not many of those posters knew anything about them. OR #2. There was several Graham fans out of those 25 that were sandbagging very hard.
I mean that as no disrespect to Radford at all as all 4 teams that are left are great teams obviously. But I'd be very shocked if Graham doesnt make it to the final game and win it all. And this is coming from someone that's far from being a Graham fan.

I'm a Radford fan and I am going to actually agree with you to an extent. I think Radford can beat the G-men, but as I eluded to in an earlier post, I do not think East Rockingham is the favorite. I think Graham is the favorite from what I've seen. As the favorite, I'm giving my opinion of who I think is the favorite. I do believe our defense is solid and we are well coached and we are not going to beat ourselves. This has been the knock on Graham and it also showed with Appo's youth. Turnovers and discipline, emotional awareness and mental toughness are part of football and Radford is as good as all of the 3 other three in this area.

Reactions: High School Sportz2
Turnovers and discipline, emotional awareness and mental toughness are part of football and Radford is as good as all of the 3 other three in this area.
Again, you said that you have not seen the other teams play, SO that is a bold statement. But it is your opinion and we all have one. I wouldn’t be surprised to see any of the final four win it all. For that matter, I would have said the same thing last week about the final eight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT