Peninsula District Title: 8-0 Phoebus at 9-0 Warwick

Phoebus Fan

VaPreps All Region
Jul 12, 2003
Going down next Saturday 10/28 at Todd Stadium in Newport News at noon

Both teams putting up ridiculous defensive numbers outscoring opponents

Phoebus 332-8

Warwick 419-7

Phoebus gave up a safety and a TD on a missed PI and Warwick gave up the opening kickoff of the season and ain’t been scored on since. Any thoughts from the folks across the state?

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Sounds like that's going to be a great game. Those are sick numbers, but something's gotta give. I may have to pay to watch this on NFHS.
Unfortunately it won't be on NFHS. Neither school has a football registration with the network.

Too bad not on internet. With those defensive numbers this is going to be a 7-6 game snd may well go to OT. Flip a coin on the winner. A turnover will decide as defenses are so strong,

Too bad not on internet. With those defensive numbers this is going to be a 7-6 game snd may well go to OT. Flip a coin on the winner. A turnover will decide as defenses are so strong,
To be honest Phoebus is bigger, stronger, and faster overall team. The PD is watered down due to transfers going to both of these schools. Right now I’d say Phoebus 21-0 or 21-7.

Warwick does have a top 5 player in the state in my eyes in Messiah Delhomme. Kid is amazing on both sides of the ball. Trenches unfortunately won’t allow him to be the star next Saturday though.

Last edited:
@Phoebus Fan, I thought the Warwick fans showed up for the state semi-final at Dinwiddie last year. Maybe you will get your wish and the fans will come out in droves. This game certainly deserves it.

I believe Phoebus can certainly control the line of scrimmage, but Warwick's quarterback isn't a bad passer. If they can spread the Phantoms out and use Delhomme as a receiver and RB they may have some success. Defensively, I think the Raiders will have some trouble with the Phoebus running game. Passing on Warwick will be another matter. The Raiders are rock solid in the defensive backfield and the Phantoms have struggled at times throwing the rock. Personally, I would be concerned about which officiating crew does the game. One particular PD crew that I know well has a tendency to call a ton of holding penalties. This could limit both teams ability to run the ball. Special teams just may decide this one. 14-13 Phoebus.

I might come down from the 804 to watch this game. Alot of talent and two teams that could possibly win state championship in their division 4 and 5.

@Phoebus Fan, I thought the Warwick fans showed up for the state semi-final at Dinwiddie last year. Maybe you will get your wish and the fans will come out in droves. This game certainly deserves it.

I believe Phoebus can certainly control the line of scrimmage, but Warwick's quarterback isn't a bad passer. If they can spread the Phantoms out and use Delhomme as a receiver and RB they may have some success. Defensively, I think the Raiders will have some trouble with the Phoebus running game. Passing on Warwick will be another matter. The Raiders are rock solid in the defensive backfield and the Phantoms have struggled at times throwing the rock. Personally, I would be concerned about which officiating crew does the game. One particular PD crew that I know well has a tendency to call a ton of holding penalties. This could limit both teams ability to run the ball. Special teams just may decide this one. 14-13 Phoebus.
You hit the nail on the head about the ref crew. It’s hilarious that even a person in Dinwiddie sees it.

Reactions: obguthr
We had the white hat a couple of times a few years ago. Once at Jamestown and Denbigh, (regular season), and in the playoffs at Norcom. I saw several of Phoebus and Warwicks games (YouTube) and recognized the white hat and the umpire. One call after another. Drives me crazy. Look the other way a few times and let the kids play. Always playing behind the sticks for both offenses makes for a crappy game.

This quote from a post from Hampton Roads Football group on Facebook sums it up good.

The Menchville/Phoebus teams Saturday had the worst Ref’s I’ve ever seen in all my 79yrs!!! Don’t think they had a clue what they were doing. The White hat suppose to be the the head judge, but it looked like he was totally lost. Over 75% of all calls resulted in a ref. Huddle(true) taking up to 5min(timed) to finally decide. From the stands it looked like the ref. that spotted the ball was making all the decisions, a few times picking up the flag & wave it off. Ther calls weren’t one sided, it went both ways. To the point that the Menchville coach got unsportsmanlike conduct flag. The game end with the referee’s trying to make a decision during a running clock. They were still huddled when time ran out.. the most important game of the year next week Phoebus/Warwick, please don’t use rec. league ref.’s!!

I wish my son's 10U team didn't have a game at 1:30pm in Lynchburg that day! I definitely would love to see this one in person! Maybe someone will stream my son's game so I can attend this one! Jk jk Family first! 😆

Yessir. Expecting 7k when these games normally struggle to get 700 people in attendance. It’s a shame.
700 or 70? I struggle understanding why attendance is so pitiful. I just don't get it. Smithfield playing .500 and fills the stands...BUT, nothing else to do over here....soooooo that might explain it! LOL!

Yeah you’re right about 70. I understand it though the transfers have gotten way out of control to the point everyone knows these game results before it happens. The fact Phoebus played 2 Friday night games the whole year is killing their attendance because those noon Saturday games fall right in line with rec league and most parents have kids in both or some are at work.

Then add to the fact that the field is away from the school.

Great thread. It has become increasingly obvious that replacing quarterbacks and a freakishly stud of a wide receiver has not been easy for the Phantoms. One cannot say Warwick has improved from last year as much as Phoebus has regressed offensively. The Phantoms have timing and chemistry problems on offense. A few years ago Warwick finally ended 40 years of absolute domination by the Hampton Crabbers, and as an alum of PHS I must admit the Raiders are in the position to take down the 2 time D3 champs. That said, if Phoebus erases the extracurricular activities that have led to devastating personal foul flags (see the Hampton game where during the course of 2 plays Phoebus went from the Crabber red zone to their own 5 yard line!), improves their offensive chemistry and timing, their defense and special teams play can help them to extend their current 29 game winning streak. Right now? It is Warwick by 8 until the game is over and Phoebus wins by 7.

Link to the game

nnpstv.com/webstream

You can also download the NNPSTV app on iPhone and Droids. It also should be showing live on their YouTube page.
Much thanks for the link. Watched the whole game. Phoebus was definitely better. I eagerly await the possibility of Phoebus/Warhill. Warhill’s Qb is significantly better then Warwicks as the receivers are too but the Phoebus defense was extremely solid everywhere. But Phoebus is tough to beat. Good luck to you guys. Glad your are in 4A.

Much thanks for the link. Watched the whole game. Phoebus was definitely better. I eagerly await the possibility of Phoebus/Warhill. Warhill’s Qb is significantly better than Warwicks as the receivers are too but the Phoebus defense was extremely solid everywhere. But Phoebus is tough to beat. Good luck to you guys. Glad your are in 4A.
I’ve seen Warhill play several times and I gotta disagree. Rios is the better QB. Don’t let today’s game fool you I’d take Warwick over Warhill by a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT