ADVERTISEMENT

People in the know--- help us out

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Could we get a offensive and defensive line comparison between Salem and Dinwiddie? Name height weight year in school. Would be nice to compare and contrast

From watching Dinwiddie it looks like they have:

LT: Brandon Harris (5'11 250)
LG: Jayion Blunt (5'8 265)
C:Travon Wilkerson (6'2 340)
RG: Davron Davis (5'8 260)
RT: Miles Scott (5'11 250)

Blunt and Harris are Juniors and the other three are seniors.

Salem:

DT: Patrick Croke (5'11 190)
NG: Christian Haley (5'7 190)
DT: Tae Hale (6'0 200)

The OLBs (Usually walked up) are: Vincent Pinello (6'2 219) and Van Richardson (5'10 178) Pinello Croke and Haley are seniors, Hale is a junior and Richardson in a sophomore.

Guys, size has nothing with the Dinwiddie offensive schemes, but since you inquired the Generals have always been outsized. Sherando out weighed us by 25-30 pounds at each interior position in 2013
Check out our mini me defensive line if you desire. Salem has the size advantage on both sides of the interior lines, so the Spartans should run wild.

Guys, size has nothing with the Dinwiddie offensive schemes, but since you inquired the Generals have always been outsized. Sherando out weighed us by 25-30 pounds at each interior position in 2013
Check out our mini me defensive line if you desire. Salem has the size advantage on both sides of the interior lines, so the Spartans should run wild.
Our DL is pretty small OL smaller than Dinwiddie's OL

Salem's interior DL is WAY smaller than Dinwiddie's OL and Salem's interior OL is smaller than Dinwiddie's interior DL.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike salem
Come on man, we had a small line in 2013, not sure about weight difference but we were small, linebackers were big though.

Dinwiddie DL:

DE: Davon Clayton (6'2 245)
DT: Omar Tyson (6'1 210)
DT: Miles Scott (5'11 250)
DE: Timothy Fields (6'1 220)

I have also seen DT Jacob Edwards (6'2 290)

Clayton, Scott and Fields are seniors, Tyson is a Junior and Edwards is a sophomore.

Salem OL

RT: Da'jon Cardwell (6'0 234)
RG: Joseph Staples (6'1 233)
C: Grey Wolfe (6'3 223)
LG: Shemar Terry (5'9 208)
LT: Thomas Mundy (6'3 296)

Staples, Wolfe and Terry are seniors, Mundy is a junior and Cardwell is a sophomore.

Come on man, we had a small line in 2013, not sure about weight difference but we were small, linebackers were big though.
Hamspear, I love ya dude, but our dt on the left size was 5"10 at best. Guard 200, center 215.

Dinwiddie DL:

DE: Davon Clayton (6'2 245)
DT: Omar Tyson (6'1 210)
DT: Miles Scott (5'11 250)
DE: Timothy Fields (6'1 220)

I have also seen DT Jacob Edwards (6'2 290)

Clayton, Scott and Fields are seniors, Tyson is a Junior and Edwards is a sophomore.
Miles doesnt play defense much and this is Edwards second year of football. Coach Mills son is a 5"8" dt and he plays a ton. Its about speed for us. Discipline against the Salem trap is crucial. Not going to take the "MULES" lightly no matter the size.

Looks like Dinwiddie is bigger on both sides of the ball, with the biggest difference being Salems smallish defensive line vs Dinwiddies much larger offensive line.

Well, on paper, looks like a total mismatch. Could it be a repeat of the Dinwiddie vs Sherando state championship game? maybe, maybe not.

Dont let the Salem fans fool you. They know what they have. Both sets of fans aint gonna go out on a limb in this one. Too much respect. I have confidence in my teams ability, but too close to call.

Someone from Salem was talking about Wahoogens nickname Country Boys last week and was trying to figure out one for Salem. Ive got it and I have put a lot of thought into it. I am not being sarcastic or mean. The name is well deserved. I hereby name the Spartans "Ali" aka the Greatest of all time. Float like a butterfly sting like a bee upteen times state champion, will they get one more on Saturday we will see. No crap guys great tradition, great program. Just having some fun. Lets do this I am ready now.

After college I moved to Petersburg and worked in Dinwiddie for most of my career. Worked games keeping things in line for years. Just fell in love with the place. Great, hardworking and humble people. I love high school football and my hokies, so thats my escape. My life us about helping kids. Will explsin if we ever meet.

Mags belongs to that coaching tree. I probably know you, followed the Patriots somewhat during that time, even though I was young :)

Coach Steve Oliver was my idol. Loved that man. Owe him a lot and honestly believe he created my tenacity and desire to help kids. Coach White was tough. Drug me through a mud hole once for not diving for a a low pass. Said you aint good enough to be lazy you little shit. Complained to my dad and he said good for coach next time go get it. Coach White was a great teacher on the field and classroom. Always wore khaki pants and button down shirts. Sometimes when he yelled his snuff would wallop you on the cheek.

Know them all. Depue still goes to PH games. Scharnus retired, seldom goes to Salem games Does behind the wheel Drivers Ed for local company. Always thought than when he went to Salem he put the best high school staff together I ever saw, Scharnus, Oliver, Billy Miles (played at Lewis under Joyce) and John Hinkle

Reactions: Salem1306
Coach Steve Oliver was my idol. Loved that man. Owe him a lot and honestly believe he created my tenacity and desire to help kids. Coach White was tough. Drug me through a mud hole once for not diving for a a low pass. Said you aint good enough to be lazy you little shit. Complained to my dad and he said good for coach next time go get it. Coach White was a great teacher on the field and classroom. Always wore khaki pants and button down shirts. Sometimes when he yelled his snuff would wallop you on the cheek.
We saw Coach O at the game this past Saturday. He has lost some weight and had both knees replaced. He looked better than he has in a long time. I have know Coach White since the mid 60's. He coached our son when Salem won three (3) Championship Rings and still asks about him every time we see him out somewhere.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
You may not know this, but Coach Oliver grew up in Portsmouth. His mother fed us prior to the 1982 wrestling state champioships. He dislocated his pinkie one time wrestling with me. Depue slapped me on the before each match and once bloodied my nose. I said damn coach gonna lose by default before i walk on the mat. He said shut up and kick his ass then shoved a piece of tampon up my nose. Kids today would run off crying if that happened to them. I thought it was a right of passage

Reactions: Pioneer101
Did you know Coach Keply and Coach Dean's?
Yes, went to school with his sons, Chris and Chuck. Coach Deans was a good man and both served as my guidance counselors. Chuck Kepley was a pure shooter. He used to shoot jump shots from just inside of half court just like Seth Curry.

A neat little Andrew Lewis jr. high basketball story. We (Jackson) played them and beat them 50-48 when I was in the ninth grade. This 6th or 7th grader from AL busted us for 46 points and dunked the ball. Rodney Varney scored the other two. Have a clue? It was Richard Morgan. What a freaking specimen he was.

Yes, went to school with his sons, Chris and Chuck. Coach Deans was a good man and both served as my guidance counselors. Chuck Kepley was a pure shooter. He used to shoot jump shots from just inside of half court just like Seth Curry.
Coach Dean's is the announcer at PH games now,. Plays a lot of golf. Remember watching Keply kids play.

First time I saw Morgan he was a 7th grader. Was a very good football player until he gave it up for basketball. Watched him play receiver and Cam Young was qb in junior high

Coach Deans used to wear double knit pants and ugly checked jackets. He coached the best high school team ever. Lynch, Covington, Blair, Turner, Tucker, and Basham. Defeated Alonzo Mornings team in the semis. Those cats beat Dematha with Jerard Mustaf, Oak Hill, and everyone else. I think they were ranked in the top three in the nation.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
Coach Deans used to wear double knit pants and ugly checked jackets. He coached the best high school team ever. Lynch, Covington, Blair, Turner, Tucker, and Basham. Defeated Alonzo Mornings team in the semis. Those cats beat Dematha with Jerard Mustaf, Oak Hill, and evetyone else. I think the were ranked in the top three in the nation.
Best team in Roanoke area history. Beat Mourning's team bad. They did lose a game however, to Fleming

Best team in Roanoke area history. Beat Mourning's team bad. They did lose a game however, to Fleming
Yeah, but hell you never knew who was going to win that game. I remember PH beat Fleming with George Beck and Fleming went to the finals against Maggie Walker.

Yeah, but hell you never knew who was going to win that game. I remember PH beat Fleming with George Beck and Fleming went to the finals against Maggie Walker.
Henry Beck, saw him the other day, looks good. Goes to some Salem football games. Ronnie Lewis on that team died a few years ago

Do you remember Mickey, Angelo and Antonio Hardy from William Byrd? Those guys could ball too. I am still friends with Angelo. We played for Mount Pleasant before my area was annexed into Roanoke City. Mickey could shoot his rear off, but drove me crazy when he played at Tech with his Ole defense. The basketball refereee Roger Ayers is also one of my high school pals.

Do you remember Mickey, Angelo and Antonio Hardy from William Byrd? Those guys could ball too. I am still friends with Angelo. We played for Mount Pleasant before my area was annexed into Roanoke City. Mickey could shoot his rear off, but drove me crazy when he played at Tech with his Ole defense. The basketball refereee Roger Ayers is also one of my high school pals.
Know them all. Micky done a good job at Fleming. Have not seen the twins in a while

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT