ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Nugget Perris Jones Spells Production

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
There may not be a more productive running back in the State of Virginia than Episcopal senior Perris Jones. He was selected VISAA 1st team All-State at running back. He puts up big numbers every time he gets on the football field no matter the competition.

At Bishop Ireton, Jones gained 746 yards with seven touchdowns as a sophomore then added 1545 yards with 14 touchdowns as a junior while making All-State. He added 21 receptions for 424 yards and three more touchdowns. After reclassifying to Episcopal for his junior year, Jones added 1248 yards and 15 touchdowns including three 200+ yard games.

Despite such lofty numbers, it's surprising to hear that Jones is still waiting for his 1st D1 football offer.

"I am still pretty open from an offer standpoint," Jones said. "No one has made a solid offer thus far but I have been hearing from Harvard, Yale and Bryant University."

Jones transferred to Episcopal High School after playing for Bishop Ireton for two seasons. The Maroon lost only one game to traditional rival Woodberry Forest in The Game. With a dozen high-level recruits as teammates, Jones said he's blessed to play for such a stong program.

"My teammates at Episcopal are all working to make sure that their parents don't have to pay for college. They all want football to pay for it and that's the same goal I have," he said. "Because of this every game we play is not just a game...it's an opportunity that we are all looking to seize. Everyone brings the intensity and passion to every practice and game."

A touchdown maker who has surprising power, Jones is especially tough around the goal line. He hits the hole at full speed and he is shifty one he gets past the line of scrimmage. It seems like every game he is breaking tackles while navagating a path to the endzone.

"My strengths as a running back are my vision, my quickness and my ability to gain yards after contact," Jones said. "I read blocks well as well as set them up when need be. I am good at blocking and route running too. I hope recruiters will notice my breakaway speed especially when I get out in the open. I want to run away from people and get behind the defense every time I touch the ball."

Jones has had plenty of career highlights and he considers the win over Bullis as his best game as a junior. Not only did he show his durability by carrying the ball 30 times but he showed his never ending motor. He finished the day with 258 rushing yards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News