ADVERTISEMENT

pizzzzza

Sep 2, 2017
How does the Region B tournament work this season? Do the top four teams from the Shenandoah and Bull Run districts advance? Do the regular season district winners get the top seeds? How do the district tournaments effect the seeding?

How does the Region B tournament work this season? Do the top four teams from the Shenandoah and Bull Run districts advance? Do the regular season district winners get the top seeds? How do the district tournaments effect the seeding?

I really do not know - but I'm sure there are those on here who do.

I really do not know - but I'm sure there are those on here who do.
What's weird about this is only having two districts in the region. Back in the day most seasons had three districts in region 2 AA, and it seemed to vary season to season.

What's weird about this is only having two districts in the region. Back in the day most seasons had three districts in region 2 AA, and it seemed to vary season to season.

Yea it's pretty ridiculous to be honest - I look at the other regions, and how TOUGH some of those regions are going to be just to get out of!

Yea it's pretty ridiculous to be honest - I look at the other regions, and how TOUGH some of those regions are going to be just to get out of!
Yes. Region A looks to be the weakest. Region D should be interesting, but I think Gate City will advance regardless of the seeding. Region C will be tight, but I'm thinking Radford will be one of the teams to advance. You never know come postseason time though. We've both seen over the years some favorite teams upset and not make it. Boy, this season's 2A state tournament should be a good one. Whoever wins will have earned it.

And I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on here (swvahavok_fan?) that it would be A vs B and C vs D in the state tournament.

And I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on here (swvahavok_fan?) that it would be A vs B and C vs D in the state tournament.
Yes, I saw that too. I hope Lee can make it to the state tournament. If they do, I like their chances of getting to the final being on that side of the bracket. The other side, with C and D battling will make for some competitive games! If the favorites make it for example, Gate City vs Dan River/Martinsville, and Radford vs Graham. How about the semifinal game on that side? Wow! Just saying folks, not predicting and not dissing anyone.

Reactions: pizzzzza
That's very likely to be the scenario, to be honest.

Those are the teams mentioned the most as the 'favorites' to get to the state tournament, but you know what they say about assuming.....

Those are the teams mentioned the most as the 'favorites' to get to the state tournament, but you know what they say about assuming.....
Lol. No doubt! As Lee alum we know that all to well. Gosh it stinks when you lose in the states, coming so close to the eventual state champion. I still say that Gate City is the favorite, with Radford and probably Lee right behind, because Lee is not in regions C or D. Dan River might be better then Lee but is on that C/D side of the bracket. Still plenty of basketball left before we even get to the states though.

I think it's the top four from each district that advances to the regional like last season. The only difference is the District Tourney's will decide compared to the conference tourney's last season. I think I have that right.The regular season champ in each district gets automatic bids. Then the region champ and runner up advance to the state tourney. Don't hold me to this but...I think it's correct.

Regionals are 8 teams. The 8 teams according to Abingdon's coach are decided by a power point system... how the basketball power points work, I have no clue.... I just read where Abingdon's coach said he gets 7 points for beating all of us in the district, since we're all 2A except for the Falcons. Been looking for some kind of document on VHSL page to explain these power points, but haven't found anything yet. I was hoping someone here knew what they were. Lol

I assume the 8 teams in Region D will be a mix of Mountain 7 and Southwest District teams in boys with Grayson County sprinkled in somewhere as they seem to be doing very well. Grayson County is unique because they're the only Region D team in their district, with the rest being Region C.

Girls, I think it will probably be the top 4 excluding Abingdon (3A) in the Mountain 7 and top 4 in the Southwest District. Grayson County doesn't seem to be that good in girls.

Power points? I really miss the old days of district champ and tournament champs getting in - and that's it!

Reactions: Lvehoops
Power points? I really miss the old days of district champ and tournament champs getting in - and that's it!

Yeah, but a regional tournament with only 4 teams wouldn't be much fun.

I wished they could just take top 4 2A teams from each district to get the 8, but like I said, Grayson is that odd team being the only D in a C district. And Abingdon being odd as the only 3A in a 2A. Why they couldn't put Grayson in the Southwest or just make them Region C, I have no clue.

Abingdon is a bit more complicated as to what they could have done with them as they're geographically challenged being the only 3A in a 2A district, and the only 3A west of Christiansburg.

I was told the other day that in 2A region C all 13 teams will be in the regionals in a 16 team bracket. Top 3 seeds will have byes in the first round, teams will be seeded by power points. Games will be at the higher seeds court until the semis and finals. They will be held at a yet to be determined site.

I was told the other day that in 2A region C all 13 teams will be in the regionals in a 16 team bracket. Top 3 seeds will have byes in the first round, teams will be seeded by power points. Games will be at the higher seeds court until the semis and finals. They will be held at a yet to be determined site.

Wow that is interesting. Makes little to no sense to have a district tournament then if that's the case.

District tournaments down this way are nothing more than glorified exhibition games. Martinsville's district is 4 3A teams, 2 4A teams, 1 5A, 1 6A, and the 2A Dogs. They are playing a district tourney for the 1st time in several years this year solely to make money for the district. Games won't count for Martinsville towards their power points so really there is no reason to play, but they will.

District tournaments down this way are nothing more than glorified exhibition games. Martinsville's district is 4 3A teams, 2 4A teams, 1 5A, 1 6A, and the 2A Dogs. They are playing a district tourney for the 1st time in several years this year solely to make money for the district. Games won't count for Martinsville towards their power points so really there is no reason to play, but they will.

hrpasture1 - that is one crazy district with all the different classifications!

I remember the 'old days' (I know I'm old!) when there was only A, AA and AAA - that always seemed to work - and you had a regular season champion and a tournament champion - when the tournaments meant something.

Nowadays you can lose in the tournament twice (district and regionals) and still make it to states.

I remember the 'old days' (I know I'm old!) when there was only A, AA and AAA - that always seemed to work - and you had a regular season champion and a tournament champion - when the tournaments meant something.

Nowadays you can lose in the tournament twice (district and regionals) and still make it to states.

Seems to me that pizzza's statement is still accurate. If you lose a regional championship game, you still advance to the state tournament, don't you? So yes, it is possible to lose in both your district and regional tournaments and still make the state playoffs.

(not sure why the quote and my reply didn't end up together????)

Reactions: pizzzzza

You are old! I remember the A, AA, AAA...wait, that means I'm old too. Sigh. lol. I like earning your way with being a regular season district champ and tournament champ, or runner-up if the tournament champ is also the regular season champ. Makes for more exciting district tournaments. Get rid of the districts with schools in different classifications. If there is added expense for travel, schools/athletic programs can figure out ways to raise money. Parents, local alum/fans, and other people/businesses would help out.

There should also be at least three districts in a region. There is either a 6-team or 8-team (four districts) regional tournament. I do like it better when the two teams in the regional final advance to the state tournament. I wish they had that back in 1978 with Lee and Harrisonburg. I know you remember that.

Three classifications might not be enough with all the schools in northern Virginia and Greater Hampton Roads areas now, but no more then four classifications. The six they have now is too many, just look at Region B in 2A. There is only two districts! That's too small for a region, and 52 teams in 2A seems to be small for a classification.

Unfortunately, yes I remember that 1978 game VERY well - Lee (Big Mike Madden) losing the 5th game of the series against Ralph Sampson and Harrisonburg at Culpeper HS in the regional finals.

Lee was probably the 2nd best team in the state that year - but had nothing to show for it but a regional runner-up.

And the only teams to beat either team that year was the other team.

Unfortunately, yes I remember that 1978 game VERY well - Lee (Big Mike Madden) losing the 5th game of the series against Ralph Sampson and Harrisonburg at Culpeper HS in the regional finals.

Lee was probably the 2nd best team in the state that year - but had nothing to show for it but a regional runner-up.

And the only teams to beat either team that year was the other team.
Did you see the playoff game for regular season district champ at U-Hall? Capacity crowd which Harrisonburg won. Lee got the Streaks next time in their back yard with another sellout crowd at JMU (Godwin Hall) to win the Valley tournament.

I went with a friend to Culpeper for the regional final. All season
Lee or Harrisonburg was ranked 1 or 2 in the polls, depending on who won the last game between them. That was the first gym I ever went to where the court was below the level you entered .

Did you see the playoff game for regular season district champ at U-Hall? Capacity crowd which Harrisonburg won. Lee got the Streaks next time in their back yard with another sellout crowd at JMU (Godwin Hall) to win the Valley tournament.

I went with a friend to Culpeper for the regional final. All season
Lee or Harrisonburg was ranked 1 or 2 in the polls, depending on who won the last game between them. That was the first gym I ever went to where the court was below the level you entered .

I saw all five games that season - just wish Lee could've won that 5th and final game.

That Lee team deserved a better fate - unfortunately, just happened to be at the same time that Sampson was at HHS.

I saw all five games that season - just wish Lee could've won that 5th and final game.

That Lee team deserved a better fate - unfortunately, just happened to be at the same time that Sampson was at HHS.
I was a student at Lee during part of the Sampson era at Harrisonburg. I will never forget the game at Lee when he was a freshman. I think he was 6'8 then. He could take a shower and not get wet because he was so skinny. Sampson didn't do much as a freshman or sophomore. Big Mike dominated. Madden was the top player in the district as a sophomore. The two were about even as juniors, but Madden got hurt early in their senior seasons and Lee didn't have a chance without him being 100 percent.

26731022_1517685091685977_2346720573885786287_n.jpg

Just click on image to make larger so you can read it better - you can also save the image if you right click it

Last edited:
26758702_1517688771685609_1708722840897711782_o.jpg

Just click on image to make larger so you can read it better - you can also save the image if you right click it

I was a student at Lee during part of the Sampson era at Harrisonburg. I will never forget the game at Lee when he was a freshman. I think he was 6'8 then. He could take a shower and not get wet because he was so skinny. Sampson didn't do much as a freshman or sophomore. Big Mike dominated. Madden was the top player in the district as a sophomore. The two were about even as juniors, but Madden got hurt early in their senior seasons and Lee didn't have a chance without him being 100 percent.
So cool pizzzzza. I played y league and rec league against those guys. Point guard Greg Smith was just as good defensively as JoeJoe Stuart, and wore those glasses as a kid. Right up in your face, sort of freaked you out at first. Lol. His brother Jeff at 6'4, along with Sheets and Madden at 6'4 each gave Lee a fighting chance against 7'1 Sampson and 6'4 Dickerson. That game, along with the Lee vs Martinsville 1985 state semifinals were the best high school games I ever saw in person.

Madison County fans have learned about assuming this year! They returned 3 starters and the 2 main role players from last years 26-3 (Region B Champs) team. Most were excited about a return trip to the state tourney for this year. But selfish play, lazy defense and assuming that showing up would be enough has led to a 2-9 start! Ridiculously bad record with the talent they have.

So cool pizzzzza. I played y league and rec league against those guys. Point guard Greg Smith was just as good defensively as JoeJoe Stuart, and wore those glasses as a kid. Right up in your face, sort of freaked you out at first. Lol. His brother Jeff at 6'4, along with Sheets and Madden at 6'4 each gave Lee a fighting chance against 7'1 Sampson and 6'4 Dickerson. That game, along with the Lee vs Martinsville 1985 state semifinals were the best high school games I ever saw in person.

I think Harrisonburg was a really good team - even if you took Sampson out of the equation - with Knicely (transferred from TA), Dickerson and Lingon - they had four really good players on that team that faced Lee.

For me, so many heartbreaks for Lee - losing to Martinsville in 1986 game @ JMU on Hunt's famous shot - and those losses to Brunswick in State Tournament still sting to this day.

26229868_1517985578322595_9004088295815308717_n.jpg

Click image to enlarge
-PAXP-deijE.gif

-PAXP-deijE.gif

26230492_1517990778322075_4254852964627310998_n.jpg

Click image to enlarge

Last edited:
Seems to me that pizzza's statement is still accurate. If you lose a regional championship game, you still advance to the state tournament, don't you? So yes, it is possible to lose in both your district and regional tournaments and still make the state playoffs.

(not sure why the quote and my reply didn't end up together????)

In the Regional finals yes, you can lose since it's two teams per region that go to state.

But the last several years, you could lose in the region semis (and 3rd place game) and still go to state. Not this year. If you lose in the region semis, you're done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT