ADVERTISEMENT

PM @ JR

OnceAKnight

VaPreps Varsity
Jan 24, 2011
2 of the top teams in 1a and 2a hit the hardwood In Springwood this this afternoon, should be a battle between 2 good teams. Both teams played Friday night w JR over Allegheny 60-28 and PM over Bath 65-9

Last edited:
47-43 end 3 JR, jr had a cold shooting first half J Easton lit up 3rd w 5? 3’s
Credit James River who is very solid, but JR getting quite a few 50-50 calls in this one. 4th qtr, JR offensive players literally just runs over top of a planted set PM defender for a charge directly in front of the official and just bizarre. No call. It wouldn't have mattered. James River is the better team, but some really tough calls in this game for PM, and of the 50-50 calls, about 5 of them, they are 0 for 5.

Last edited:
Credit James River who is very solid, but JR getting quite a few 50-50 calls in this one. 4th qtr, JR offensive players literally just runs over top of a planted set PM defender for a charge directly in front of the official and just bizarre. No call. It wouldn't have mattered. James River is the better team, but some really tough calls in this game for PM, and of the 50-50 calls, about 5 of them, they are 0 for 5.
Agree w that

2.24 left, block by the big man, off the JR offensive player who got blocked, and somehow, someway, the ball simply given back to JR directly in front of the official. Guys, hate to knock the guys calling the game, but this is kind of crazy man. They are literally getting every call this game. This is nuts man

Final Score- James River 63 Parry McCluer 55

I think James River is a better team. I think James River is definitely the team to beat in Class 2C, ahead of Radford and Glenvar and Martinsville and Floyd by a big margin for sure, but this game might be talked about for a little bit. I'm telling ya guys, JR just got every single 50-50 call in this game and some of them weren't 50-50. Not a good take by the officiating crew this afternoon. I don't think it changes the game. I think JR still would have won it, but it might have been within 4 in last 30 seconds instead of 6 or 8.

Reactions: OnceAKnight
I’ll give credit to PMs big man but honestly without him in the game I don’t think they have been within 20. He scores and passes well and defends Nice shooting touch.

2.24 left, block by the big man, off the JR offensive player who got blocked, and somehow, someway, the ball simply given back to JR directly in front of the official. Guys, hate to knock the guys calling the game, but this is kind of crazy man. They are literally getting every call this game. This is nuts man
They got more than their share of calls 2nd half I don’t know about the whole game. I don’t know how official missed that block, it was definitely out on JR maybe he was looking for the contact and didn’t see JR knock the ball out, may have been a flop or 2 by PM in that 4th qtr underneath.

I think PM is very, very solid for a Class 1 defensive team. They play pretty good halfcourt D,. James River just moves the ball and passes it so well, and they make you pay if you don't get back in transition. Out of all the teams in the West, from Union to Radford to Glenvar, Martinsville, Floyd County, James River has to be the favs to play for the state title. I would be very surprised if James River wasn't playing in the bigshow by season's end. Great team. If any team in the west has a chance at James River, it's Union, but JR just seems like an unstoppable force this year. Parry McCluer is a good team guys. Aside from the center, whether with him or not, he plays for Parry McCluer and that counts. James River just beat a team that is probably odds on favs to repeat as single A state champions. They aren't a typical Class 1 run of the mill team by any means. Credit to JR on their season. Well coached and very classy bunch.

Two good teams played hard today. I didn’t see the officiating the same as some of the comments. PM turnovers I think cost them a chance to win. Will be packed next week in Buena Vista. I think they had at least 15 turnovers today.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
JRs defense definitely caused alot of turnovers and they overall played a really good game against a very good PM team, Easton getting a hot hand in the third really got the momentum going for JR. I don’t think anyone here thinks the officials cost PM the game but there were several second half calls that were questionable or completely missed, but there always are in any game.

JRs defense definitely caused alot of turnovers and they overall played a really good game against a very good PM team, Easton getting a hot hand in the third really got the momentum going for JR. I don’t think anyone here thinks the officials cost PM the game but there were several second half calls that were questionable or completely missed, but there always are in any game.
I agree. I definitely want to be clear that I think JR is the better team, deserved to win, and that the officials didn't cost PM the game. I absolutely believe JR got an overwhelming majority of 50-50 calls. No chance though that it changed the outcome of the game. James River's pressure was the difference. Great defense by JR.

I officiated for 3 years and quit because I stunk it up. I did hoops and baseball. What happens so often with officials, by accident and not on purpose, they get caught up on the emotion of the game. I did it time and time again, even while trying not to. It seems like we always hear, "home officiating." As if the officials cheated for the home team on purpose. That's not what happens. Often, the crowd noise, the emotion of the game can subtly influence 50-50 calls, and I would have a game thinking I did well, look at the tape, and see where I just missed calls, and 90% were in favor of the home team. It can happen and it's not on purpose or anything. It separates the not so good former refs like myself from the college guys and gals, and it even separates the college ones' from the pro's When I went into it, the older experience guys always told me first and foremost, do not get caught up into the emotion of the game. If you take all the hoops games in the US at high school, college, and pro levels, the home team on average gets 63 percent of free throw attempts (according to the VHSL manual 10 years ago). It's not intentional or cheating or anything like that, it's directly related to the crowd, the emotion of the game of which all humans, even officials are subject to.

I think the game yesterday with James River and McCluer had 2 state title game teams on the floor. I would be very surpised if both are not playing the final game fo the season for a state title, and that's pretty dang good for one district putting two teams at each level in the bigshow. James River is a well coached-heady basketball team that really capitalizes on your weaknesses. They were a different team we we played them the second time, and they had us figured out from the very start. I expect James River to beat McCluer much worse this coming week in game two, even on Parry McCluer's home floor, I expect a 15 point type of win. This team just makes adjustments that 99% of other Class 2 programs don't normally make. I expect the same in the region tournament with Radford and Glenvar vs James River. I truly don't think the games will be close. I certainly hope I am wrong though, but I just don't see it this year. They are rolling downhill like a steam train to VCU, and if Radford can't get there, I will be pulling for JR. Same for McCluer, both classy programs with good kids.

I think the game yesterday with James River and McCluer had 2 state title game teams on the floor. I would be very surpised if both are not playing the final game fo the season for a state title, and that's pretty dang good for one district putting two teams at each level in the bigshow. James River is a well coached-heady basketball team that really capitalizes on your weaknesses. They were a different team we we played them the second time, and they had us figured out from the very start. I expect James River to beat McCluer much worse this coming week in game two, even on Parry McCluer's home floor, I expect a 15 point type of win. This team just makes adjustments that 99% of other Class 2 programs don't normally make. I expect the same in the region tournament with Radford and Glenvar vs James River. I truly don't think the games will be close. I certainly hope I am wrong though, but I just don't see it this year. They are rolling downhill like a steam train to VCU, and if Radford can't get there, I will be pulling for JR. Same for McCluer, both classy programs with good kids.
Just to clarify JR and PM haven’t been in same district since 16-17 season maybe? Still a big rivalry since they were competing for district titles for so many years. I do agree both teams are state caliber and hope to see them both get there.

Just to clarify JR and PM haven’t been in same district since 16-17 season maybe? Still a big rivalry since they were competing for district titles for so many years. I do agree both teams are state caliber and hope to see them both get there.
Shows what I know OnceaKnight. I thought they were still in the same district. Has to be a big rivalry though, as they are playing twice.

Fairlawn I think JR joined three rivers in 17’ or 18’, maybe before. They were the only 2a left in the pioneer so they just cut ties and joined TRD. From what I’ve heard their enrollment numbers are gonna moved them to 1a by 2025.

Sounds like both teams have outstanding teams this year.

Question - does JM play in the 2A tournament?

They did in 2019, I'm assuming they're back playing in the tourney this year after being out in the COVID season
I would think JM would be a HEAVY favorite if they do indeed play in the 2A tournament.

Seems all they're playing right now are either out-of-state tournaments, or teams in higher classifications.

Reactions: TS69
I would think JM would be a HEAVY favorite if they do indeed play in the 2A tournament.

Seems all they're playing right now are either out-of-state tournaments, or teams in higher classifications.
They are. It would be a massive upset for anyone else to win 2A. JM is one of the handful of best teams in the entire state regardless of classification

I’ve seen JM play a few times this year. They are very well coached and have some very good basketball players. I believe the posters out west use the word “heavy” and “massive” favorites around too loosely. I’ve seen some damn good teams out of the west and that Gate City team actually gave them a good game in 2020. Marshall was absolutely loaded with a future All Atlantic 10 PG and a center at Louisville now. I believe James River, Union or whoever comes out west will be battletested and be competitive with Marshall. Marshall’s good but they can be beaten.

Roanoke area ball looks to be the teams to beat this year. Fleming, James River, CS, Northside, Botty, and even PH and Glenvar can make some noise. Most of these teams have played one another and they’ve all been competitive games.

Reactions: AntGZee
I’ve seen JM play a few times this year. They are very well coached and have some very good basketball players. I believe the posters out west use the word “heavy” and “massive” favorites around too loosely. I’ve seen some damn good teams out of the west and that Gate City team actually gave them a good game in 2020. Marshall was absolutely loaded with a future All Atlantic 10 PG and a center at Louisville now. I believe James River, Union or whoever comes out west will be battletested and be competitive with Marshall. Marshall’s good but they can be beaten.
I hope you're right but I'm not optimistic. Maybe JR can give them a game, not sure about Union. Still only six deep, they were more well rounded last year.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I hope you're right but I'm not optimistic. Maybe JR can give them a game, not sure about Union. Still only six deep, they were more well rounded last year.
If Union didn't have that big guard transfer, they'd definitely be my favorite for out West

If Union didn't have that big guard transfer, they'd definitely be my favorite for out West
Agree. Cusano moving really hurts. He was a big guard that could rebound but was also a great shooter esp from deep. Ask East Rock, he came out hot and just buried them in the first quarter.

The 1-2 scoring of Bunch and Cusano would be very tough to handle. Two 6'5 kids who can score inside and out. Would also really help the depth which Union sorely needs.

Agree. Cusano moving really hurts. He was a big guard that could rebound but was also a great shooter esp from deep. Ask East Rock, he came out hot and just buried them in the first quarter.

The 1-2 scoring of Bunch and Cusano would be very tough to handle. Two 6'5 kids who can score inside and out. Would also really help the depth which Union sorely needs.
Most definitely. I watched the state championship game last year and imo he was the difference in the game

Reactions: BigWinners
He plays for Hilton Head Prep - team is currently 19-2 on the season.

Cusano is averaging 16.5 ppg/11.5 ppg/3.2 bpg

He was definitely a big loss the Union!

Reactions: kwhs95fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT