ADVERTISEMENT

Praise for a Champion!

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
I met and sat close to Derrick Casey at a football game last fall. He was in the company of Mr. and Mrs. Balducci, of the highly respected Balducci Remodeling firm. It was purely a chance meeting.

As we made typical small talk about football, Derrick never brought up anything about himself, or the Hanover baseball team.

Later during the football game, Mr Balducci was talking with me about sports at Dinwiddie, and we talked a little about the, State Champion Hanover Baseball team. After several questions, it was finally revealed to me that Derrick had been the pitcher in the championship game.

I wanted to know more about him, his pitching, and what it was like to be a pitcher in a championship game. Derrick simply gave all the credit to his teammates, and the coaching staff.

As the football game ended, and I made my way to my vehicle, I remember thinking to myself, what an amazing and polite young man Derrick was. He was humble and gracious as he deflected all praise to others. And, as should be expected, Mr. And Mrs. Balducci were equally as nice and enjoyable, and it was a privilege to spend a couple of hours with them all.

Derrick's family and friends, his teammates and the Hanover community, probably already knew what I found out that night. That he is an exceptional person, and that he is destined to achieve greatness in his life and career. Today's victory, providing the Hawks their second state baseball championship is just one more accomplishment for Derrick. Without question, we will be talking about him for years to come as he achieves great things in life, as well as athletics.

This post was edited on 6/15 6:10 AM by DinwiddieProud

Thank you for speaking so kindly about my Son. We are very proud of him and it especially hits home when someone you don't know speaks about him as you have in your posts.

Thank you for raising such a wonderful young man. I look forward to following him through his years at UVA.

This post was edited on 6/21 7:15 PM by DinwiddieProud

Mrs. Casey, I was told today that Detroit has made it very difficult for Derrick to not accept their offer. Please, please encourage him to go to college and get his degree. You know as well as anybody that he is just one bad injury from never playing baseball again. His degree guarantees him that doors will open regardless of how his baseball career progresses. Tell him to go, enjoy the great times that college has to offer. He will never regret his choice. Professional baseball will still be there. And then it will be on his terms, when he has matured, physically, mentally, and emotionally. Ask him to ask pro players that took the option to attend major universities like UVA, if they regretted their choice. I'll bet 100% of them say it was a wise decision.

Sorry for sticking my nose where it does not belong, but this is just something I wanted to share with you.

I thought Casey was drafted by the Cardinals? When did Detroit come in the picture? He would be wise to keep the scholarship at Virginia. Kuhn will teach him plenty to get ready for pro ball later.

Not sure my info on Detroit is correct. It came from a diehard UVA baseball fan that is pretty well connected. I assumed he had inside info. Either way, I hope Casey goes the college route. The announcers for the CWS game just gave a good synopsis of why going to college is almost always the smart path. Let us know if it is St. Louis. I hope it is Detroit. One of my employees is close friends with Donnie Kelly for the Tigers. So I have a special fondness for them.

Reading the article in the Richmond Times Dispatch this morning, it sure looks like I got really bad information. You were obviously right about St. Louis. And the way the paper reads, going pro is not a serious consideration. I apologize for posting wrong stuff. My source is a die hard UVA fan, I sure would have thought he would have had accurate info. Again, sorry, I try never to post anything I don't know with near absolute accuracy.

No problem, Dinwiddie. I understand how someone can get some misinformation from time to time, especially when it deals with some of those arrogant UVa fans, and they are legion. There's one just like I describe that resides on the Class 2A board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT