ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions for Saturday

Since no one is really talking about Stuart's Draft, I'll throw this out there:

I'll be at the Stuart's Draft/Richlands game this weekend; mainly because I think SD will win the game (and Eastern View lost last week in 4A). Since I have not seen Richlands personally, I did a little research and have seen several comments on the SWVA message board indicating that R-lands does not run the ball much/well. That is assuming that the posters on that board, who should know Richlands better than most, are accurate.

SD has played two very good passing teams in the last 2 rounds of the playoffs. They defend the pass very well. And they defend the run. I think this will give SD an advantage. I read a post in this thread saying that SD does not have the athletes comparable to R-lands. Maybe, maybe not, but I think a lot of folks are in for a surprise when they see SD play.

Also, SD seems to be the forgotten team even though they are undefeated and in the final four. Seems there is a lot of talk about a APPO/Richlands final. I think that bodes well for the Cougars.

Someone posted in another thread that the Richlands QB would have ALL VHSL passing records if he played the second half of most games. Those kind of comments crack me up. I dare say that the QB who does hold those records would have had even MORE stats if he had played most of the second halves. Not slighting the Richlands QB, I am sure he is very good. By all accounts he is the real deal. But you know the saying, "If ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas".

I would like to see a Goochland/Stuarts Draft final...if for no other reason than the shock value to some of the Appo posters on here. Don't think that is going to happen however.

Naw field will be good on Saturday ! And the Dan river game was a mess I was there and it probaly was the worst weather a game could be played in so that's a bad comparison !
It wasn't a comparison at all. It was me saying the reason that the wet field made a difference in the game and I know your field has air holes that makes it moist and if it rains the rest of today and into tomorrow it can be soggy come Saturday. If the field is soggy and slippery I think it hurts the speedy team even though it's not a hurricane.

I'll be at the Stuart's Draft/Richlands game this weekend; mainly because I think SD will win the game (and Eastern View lost last week in 4A). Since I have not seen Richlands personally, I did a little research and have seen several comments on the SWVA message board indicating that R-lands does not run the ball much/well. That is assuming that the posters on that board, who should know Richlands better than most, are accurate.
It's true that Richlands had no running game through most of the season. They rushed 17 times for only 7 yards against Union in week 2. Haven't seen them since, but they have definitely made progress judging by the stats and comments (had 114 last week).

Passing is, without question, their strength. As far as who wins this game? I think it's a complete toss-up.

So, basically, reading this post I've gathered the following: Goochland and Stuarts Draft shouldn't even suit up this weekend.

Stop with the "poor us" game. Of course they should suit up. Should Florida not suit up for the SEC Championship because they are 20+ point underdogs to Bama? Part of being the underdog is hearing the pre game chatter, how the favorite is going to do this and that. That's part of it. Whether Goochland wants to believe it or not, they are the underdog, now how do you take that title? Say who cares and play or do you buy in to the hype and roll over and get drug around the field? They will show that on Saturday.

SD has played two very good passing teams in the last 2 rounds of the playoffs. They defend the pass very well. And they defend the run. I think this will give SD an advantage. I read a post in this thread saying that SD does not have the athletes comparable to R-lands. Maybe, maybe not, but I think a lot of folks are in for a surprise when they see SD play.

Also, SD seems to be the forgotten team even though they are undefeated and in the final four. Seems there is a lot of talk about a APPO/Richlands final. I think that bodes well for the Cougars.

Someone posted in another thread that the Richlands QB would have ALL VHSL passing records if he played the second half of most games. Those kind of comments crack me up. I dare say that the QB who does hold those records would have had even MORE stats if he had played most of the second halves. Not slighting the Richlands QB, I am sure he is very good. By all accounts he is the real deal. But you know the saying, "If ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas".

I would like to see a Goochland/Stuarts Draft final...if for no other reason than the shock value to some of the Appo posters on here. Don't think that is going to happen however.

I was the one who said that Asbury would have broken every record there is to break had he not sat out the equivalent of 4 games this year. Same would have went for last year (he sat out over 20 quarters last year because the score was too high), and he was the 2A player of the year last year. The kid is good.

I can assure you there is not one person in Richlands who has guaranteed that Richlands will beat SD. Those are fans from other schools saying that. Stuarts Draft has the full attention of Richlands. I've talked to some of the coaches, they know how good this Cougar team is, and the players know it, too. Don't think the players are overlooking them.

Richlands did struggle to run the ball early in the season. That popped up big in Abingdon in the rain when the Falcons decided to drop 8 and we weren't able to consistently get first downs on the ground. With that said, we lost 17-10 to a team who finished 9-1 in 3A, and had the ball inside the 5 with 2 minutes to go, but a turnover ended it. The running game has been better from that moment on. There are about 5-6 players who can, and will, run the ball. They all have different skill sets, strengths, and weaknesses. It's very much the way VT does it now under Fuente. It doesn't matter where the yards come from, just as long as you get them when you need them.

That said, obviously passing the ball is the bread and butter of Richlands. When you have the 2A state PoY as your QB, and you go 8 deep at WR, of course that's gonna be your go to. Howie and Ball are both 6'4. A quick glance at the SD roster shows they have a CB who is 6'2, so he can hang with the height, but it's hard to cover two tall guys. Ball has the best hands on the team, and he will make leaping catches over a defender. Howie is the most athletic. When the ball is in his hands, good things happen. He has incredible speed for his size. While all the attention rightfully goes to the two outside guys, the slot WR's are just as good. Collins (who will also line up as RB) ate Appo and Wilson Memorial up over the middle the last two years. He's quick and has some good moves, but isn't afraid to bowl over a bigger defender. Booker is the other slot guy. He has 9 TD's this year, and has a knack for getting open behind the LB's. There are 4 other WR who can come in and spell out any of the others, with Dan Brown and Taylor Horn being the two who see the most time.

Oh, and then there's TE Landon Lowe (6'4 260lb). He's an absolute load to bring down. And to be his size, he has some quickness. A screen to him almost always nets a first down, and it will take at least 2 people to bring him down. Yet to see one man bring him down in any of his time at Richlands.

That's a snapshot of the offense. Richlands is not East Rock. No offense to them, but they just aren't. I think this will be the toughest game of the year for both teams so far. One thing that I think Richlands holds the advantage in is experience. This senior class has been to 4 state quarterfinals, and two state semifinals. They've been here, done that. And it has shown this year. They were down to Union late in the game and came back to force OT and win. They were down 21 against Graham, and down 17 again to Graham, and came back to win on the road. Last week, they were down 10 to Graham and shut them down for the next 40 minutes. This team is never down on the sidelines, and no lead is insurmountable for these guys. I know this is SD's best season for them, so will their kids be able to handle the pressure moments in this game?

I'm tired of talking about this game, is it Saturday yet? I'm getting there at 9am to stand in line. We will bring 1,500 fans or so. There's not that many seats on our side, so gotta be there early to not have to stand the whole game.

Reactions: Bigrhsfan
I don't mean to nitpick but even playing those quarters he missed he wasn't going to break Phillip Sims' passing records. Right at 11,000 yards and 120 touchdowns.

Maybe if he was a 4 year starter he could've had a chance but nobody is going to beat those stats only starting for 2 years.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
I don't mean to nitpick but even playing those quarters he missed he wasn't going to break Phillip Sims' passing records. Right at 11,000 yards and 120 touchdowns.

Maybe if he was a 4 year starter he could've had a chance but nobody is going to beat those stats only starting for 2 years.
stats are fun to talk about but anyone that has seen Ashbury play knows he is a good one. It says alot about your coach and keeping the game humble when he sits guys once a game is decided. Appo has a hand full of guys that would have blown up the stats for last 2 years but they only get to play 2 maybe 3 qtrs a game on average. That has affected them when end of year awards are given out because everyone wants to talk about stats. I have a great deal of respect for coaches who don't get caught up in stats and they keep the game humble.

http://wavy.com/2016/11/18/the-new-top-tiger-shon-mitchell-breaks-vhsl-passing-record/

CHESAPEAKE (WAVY) – It couldn’t have been a much better night for Shon Mitchell. The senior quarterback at Oscar Smith High School led his team to a playoff win over Bayside, and broke the Virginia High School League record for career passing yards in the process.

“It’s honestly surreal,” said Mitchell, who threw two touchdowns in a 43-21 win over the Marlins, and now owns 10,766 career passing yards.

“I knew I was in contention for it heading into the season, and now to break it, I guess it’s a reliever,” said Mitchell. “Now I can focus on my team, on winning a state championship, and just play ball.” Mitchell surpassed former Oscar Smith quarterback Philip Sims for the record, and couldn’t be happier that the record will now “stay in the family.”

To cap it all off, Mitchell’s team is team is now just two wins away from a second straight birth in the 6A state championship game.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
http://wavy.com/2016/11/18/the-new-top-tiger-shon-mitchell-breaks-vhsl-passing-record/

CHESAPEAKE (WAVY) – It couldn’t have been a much better night for Shon Mitchell. The senior quarterback at Oscar Smith High School led his team to a playoff win over Bayside, and broke the Virginia High School League record for career passing yards in the process.

“It’s honestly surreal,” said Mitchell, who threw two touchdowns in a 43-21 win over the Marlins, and now owns 10,766 career passing yards.

“I knew I was in contention for it heading into the season, and now to break it, I guess it’s a reliever,” said Mitchell. “Now I can focus on my team, on winning a state championship, and just play ball.” Mitchell surpassed former Oscar Smith quarterback Philip Sims for the record, and couldn’t be happier that the record will now “stay in the family.”

To cap it all off, Mitchell’s team is team is now just two wins away from a second straight birth in the 6A state championship game.

Congrats to that kid then. Oscar Smith must sling it around non stop

I'm talking about for a season, not career.

I read it wrong when I seen you talked about quarters missed last year.

The season record is 4,061 yards and 54 touchdowns by Broaddus from Essex. If Mance would've ever ran the score up he would've had a shot at that.

Stop with the "poor us" game. Of course they should suit up. Should Florida not suit up for the SEC Championship because they are 20+ point underdogs to Bama? Part of being the underdog is hearing the pre game chatter, how the favorite is going to do this and that. That's part of it. Whether Goochland wants to believe it or not, they are the underdog, now how do you take that title? Say who cares and play or do you buy in to the hype and roll over and get drug around the field? They will show that on Saturday.

There is no "poor us" because I don't even have a team in the playoffs. I'm just saying that everyone on here is picking Appomattox to win and saying that Goochland won't hold them under 30 points, and basically everyone has picked Richlands to win. Of course I'm a person who roots for the underdog if I don't have a team in the mix. Best of luck to all the teams out there. Sorry I hit a nerve with poor you.

You didn't hit a nerve with me, I just find it comical when multiple people get on here and say "My team isn't given a fair shot against another team, maybe they shouldn't suit up", if that's the mentality then I'm going to hate to see what they do in the real world. I remember someone from Union stating "Sounds like we have no shot to beat Appo, better save the gas money and not show up."....43-0 shows that might not have been the worst idea.

Goochland is the underdog, deal with the pre game antics/chatter and if you win....you get the whole year to gloat!!

Forget the stats John-Luke Ashbury is the best QB in VHSL and I think one of best across the country. The Buckingham game last year I think was his best because he faced alot of adversity he hadn't seen prior. He was forced to make throws inside and outside of the pocket and unlike most his games he was getting hit (thought he was finished on the sack for the scoop and score). He got up his coaches made adjustments and he executed brilliantly in the second half. He looked off coverage that took help away on Scotty and left him one on one with 5-7 Liggins. Richlands can win a game with Ashbury without 1 run because he is that good.

One of the best in the country!? This is where the board melts down.....
At the high school level? Why not? He got good size, good IQ and in two games I watched him live I never once saw a ball that wasn't a tight spiral. Yes I do think he could be one of the best HIGH SCHOOL quarterbacks in the Country. I see top prospects play ESPN every Friday and haven't seen one QB that I would bet against John-Luke. You just don't see his talent year in and year out. There's not a high school in the country he couldn't start at and if UVA had a brain they would be rolling out the red carpet in Richlands. I know he better than what they got.

I read it wrong when I seen you talked about quarters missed last year.

The season record is 4,061 yards and 54 touchdowns by Broaddus from Essex. If Mance would've ever ran the score up he would've had a shot at that.
That was my point. Las year, or this year, had Mance kept the foot on the gas, Asbury would have broken that easily. He was close to it last year as it was.

At the high school level? Why not? He got good size, good IQ and in two games I watched him live I never once saw a ball that wasn't a tight spiral. Yes I do think he could be one of the best HIGH SCHOOL quarterbacks in the Country. I see top prospects play ESPN every Friday and haven't seen one QB that I would bet against John-Luke. You just don't see his talent year in and year out. There's not a high school in the country he couldn't start at and if UVA had a brain they would be rolling out the red carpet in Richlands. I know he better than what they got.
UVA already signed one of the best HS QB in Woodberry Forest's Lindell Stone. I would not be surprised to see him seriously competing for the starting spot for the 'Hoos.

Sounds like the Oscar Smith QB is pretty dang good as well. And I expect the level of competition he played was quite different. I know it was for Stone.

At any rate, looks like Virginia has produced some talented QBs this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: gtownfencecrew
UVA already signed the best HS QB in Woodberry Forest's Lindell Stone. I would not be surprised to see him seriously competing for the starting spot for the 'Hoos.

Sounds like the Oscar Smith QB is pretty dang good as well. And I expect the level of competition he played was quite different. I know it was for Stone.

At any rate, looks like Virginia has produced some talented QBs this year.

I think Stone will also have a great shot at starting for the Hoos. Had offers from Maryland, Cincy, WVU, Pitt, Ole Miss, UCLA, Wisconsin, etc. Hopefully he can help with the mess over there.

There are many many high schools in the country he wouldn't start at. Have you heard of Tate Martell or Dylan Mccaffrey?

Asbury is a great 2A QB playing in a system that is tailored to his skill-set, but people make a living at evaluating high school talent and how it evaluates to the next level and and he doesn't seem to be on D1 radar.

I hope he gets a shot to play somewhere. Maybe FCS. He without a doubt has the talent to play 4 or 5 more seasons, But you're reaching really far with your statements that he would start for any school in the country.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
He isn't one of the top QB's in the country. Just stop. He's a good player for 2A in Virginia. Mills, Martell, Fromm, Johnson, and McCaffery are head and shoulders in front of Asbury.

He isn't one of the top QB's in the country. Just stop. He's a good player for 2A in Virginia. Mills, Martell, Fromm, Johnson, and McCaffery are head and shoulders in front of Asbury.

Tua Tagovailoa might be the best of them all.

I remember someone from Union stating "Sounds like we have no shot to beat Appo, better save the gas money and not show up."

You have mentioned this quote twice now, but I don't remember any Union person saying that nor can I find it. Can you direct me to it?

With his talent you don't think he would be as good if he played for one of the bigger schools. Of course coaches tailor to their system don't have to be DI scout to know that. Sometimes schools make people better than what they are. What did Phillip Sims do at the next level? I think every D1 Scout was wrong on him and he was recognized as the best in the country. Hell my nephew out played him by a mile when he was at Winston-Salem 2 years ago. All the players you named are playing for the best schools in the country. Imagine if Richlands played on ESPN 2 or 3 times out the year. Damn it's just my opinion but I understand Gaitorbait everybody's opinion is wrong in your eyes. DAMN JUST MY OPINION the other kids y'all named gets more exposure and that helps. I saw Hackenburg at Fork Union and he didn't look half as good as Asbury but he went to Fork Union and that's they do get you into big schools. I'm not placing him up there because of his stats I'm going off of what I see him do compared to the other top prospects I see on ESPN and if he played for any of those schools he would be talked about the same way. Lighten up its just an opinion board and none of y'all are right either. Yeah he's not recognized as one of the top but he damn sure can throw with them so you just stop.

BigWinners said it, and he was being facetious.
If he did say it, then it's been deleted because it's not on here now. There is a very similar quote on the 1A board concerning GW. I was just curious. Thanks.

I haven't seen every QB in the state let alone the country, but Asbury is really good. He's the best passing QB I've seen in person for at least the last 6-7 years at the HS level.

Hell I remember when guys on here said my nephew Tarian Ayres was no more than a D3 QB. He got a DI scholarship to VMI and Transferred to Virginia State now he is in their record books in 5 categories and has been invited to the Senior Bowl and NFL pre draft combine. He went 21-38 for 230 yards2tds 1 pick against Goochland his senior year in sleet and rain while Hackenburg went 11-32 for 67 yards 4 picks against the same Goochland team but he went to Fork Union so he was considered better. Scouts get it wrong sometimes too.

Tarian would have been a great fit at JMU or UofR, maybe event VT or UVA. I'm not sure if he didn't go to camps or what but for some reason he just didn't get the offers, had he gone to a school like Fork Union he may have who knows.

Hell I remember when guys on here said my nephew Tarian Ayres was no more than a D3 QB. He got a DI scholarship to VMI and Transferred to Virginia State now he is in their record books in 5 categories and has been invited to the Senior Bowl and NFL pre draft combine. He went 21-38 for 230 yards2tds 1 pick against Goochland his senior year in sleet and rain while Hackenburg went 11-32 for 67 yards 4 picks against the same Goochland team but he went to Fork Union so he was considered better. Scouts get it wrong sometimes too.
BCKnights there isn't any need talking on here anymore. You have been very fair and accurate with your posts but it's just clear some people are just blind and can't see anything but their own opinion being correct. Just like I have given Appo much respect for their accomplishments and their team but as soon as I mentioned Goochland would give them a game I got blasted. I have seen your opinion of the Goochland/Appo game and I think it's pretty much spot on I just hope Goochland finds a way to pull it off. Both very good teams and the great thing is Saturday it will all sort itself out. I truly think Appo will be shocked by Goochlands own speed and heart as you know the bigger the game the bigger Goochland plays. All year all they have heard is your to small to slow but yet come out with the W. Heck Clarke was/is bigger than Appo and Goochland and was a very physical well coached team too. You are also spot on about coverage and who you play for as to how much attention you get. I am sure I will get blasted for this post to. Go Bulldogs!!!

With his talent you don't think he would be as good if he played for one of the bigger schools. Of course coaches tailor to their system don't have to be DI scout to know that. Sometimes schools make people better than what they are. What did Phillip Sims do at the next level? I think every D1 Scout was wrong on him and he was recognized as the best in the country. Hell my nephew out played him by a mile when he was at Winston-Salem 2 years ago. All the players you named are playing for the best schools in the country. Imagine if Richlands played on ESPN 2 or 3 times out the year. Damn it's just my opinion but I understand Gaitorbait everybody's opinion is wrong in your eyes. DAMN JUST MY OPINION the other kids y'all named gets more exposure and that helps. I saw Hackenburg at Fork Union and he didn't look half as good as Asbury but he went to Fork Union and that's they do get you into big schools. I'm not placing him up there because of his stats I'm going off of what I see him do compared to the other top prospects I see on ESPN and if he played for any of those schools he would be talked about the same way. Lighten up its just an opinion board and none of y'all are right either. Yeah he's not recognized as one of the top but he damn sure can throw with them so you just stop.

Yeah, you're right, in the day of social media and countless highlight reels, college coaches refuse to look at him because of where he plays. Sure college coaches are wrong, so are pro coaches, but they are right a lot of the time as well, that's why they are in the position they are. Look at the Jones brothers from Powell Valley, they both grew up before all the social media outlets and they still made it. Julius even went to Notre Dame, that means Notre Dame at some point could care less about where he's from and who he plays against and saw potential and talent in him, enough to offer him a scholarship. If you can play, they will find you. Also, they look over a body of work and look at who has the POTENTIAL to be better. College recruiting is based off of potential.

I watch his highlights. I've watched him live probably 8 or 9 times over the last two years. I'm not arguing he's a great QB because being player of the year speaks for itself.

I was just arguing the silly statement that he could start for any school in the country. I hope you don't believe that either.

Also, this offense is absolutely tailored to his skill set. I don't mean that in a bad way. You can look at Mance's offenses from Timmy Brown to River Michaels and It's basically been the same until last year when they kinda pulled the QB runs and substituted them for more screens and slants.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
I watch his highlights. I've watched him live probably 8 or 9 times over the last two years. I'm not arguing he's a great QB because being player of the year speaks for itself.

I was just arguing the silly statement that he could start for any school in the country. I hope you don't believe that either.

Also, this offense is absolutely tailored to his skill set. I don't mean that in a bad way. You can look at Mance's offenses from Timmy Brown to River Michaels and It's basically been the same until last year when they kinda pulled the QB runs and substituted them for more screens and slants.
You don't have to explain ... I had no major disagreement with your comments. I posted the video to show how well JLA fits the Richlands system.

Yeah, you're right, in the day of social media and countless highlight reels, college coaches refuse to look at him because of where he plays. Sure college coaches are wrong, so are pro coaches, but they are right a lot of the time as well, that's why they are in the position they are. Look at the Jones brothers from Powell Valley, they both grew up before all the social media outlets and they still made it. Julius even went to Notre Dame, that means Notre Dame at some point could care less about where he's from and who he plays against and saw potential and talent in him, enough to offer him a scholarship. If you can play, they will find you. Also, they look over a body of work and look at who has the POTENTIAL to be better. College recruiting is based off of potential.
Thats exactly the point I was trying to make is the potential and I think Asbury has alot. It's all good brother all this does is gets us all ready for Sat. I think everyone makes good points and none of us can say another is wrong unless we base it off facts.

Tarian would have been a great fit at JMU or UofR, maybe event VT or UVA. I'm not sure if he didn't go to camps or what but for some reason he just didn't get the offers, had he gone to a school like Fork Union he may have who knows.
He had a verbal to UVA until Simms transferred there and it kinda went away. He also had an offer from the Tarheels but they wanted him to play Safety and he just wanted to play QB. Tennessee and Maryland came after him after he played in the VHSL All Star game but he already had signed with VMI. That Goochland game was not only cold as hell but one of the hardest hitting games I've seen in highschool.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT