ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason top 50 regardless of classification - Thoughts?

mbonape1

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2015
VHSL 2018 Preseason Top 50: May have a few of the classifications wrong but should be close. Tried to be as fair as I could across the classifications. Anything that I am way off on?

1.) HSHS - 5
2.) Westfield - 6
3.) Manchester - 6
4.) Tuscarora - 5
4.) OS - 6
5.) Freedom Woodbridge - 6
6.) Stone Bridge - 5
7.) Ocean Lakes - 6
8.) Broad Run - 5
9.) Kings Fork - 4
10.) Eastern View - 4
11.) Thomas Dale - 6
12.) Life Christian Academy - Private
13.) Dinwiddie - 4
14.) Bishop Sullivan - Private
15.) LC Bird - 5
16.) Salem (Salem) - 4
17.) CD Hylton - 6
18.) Brooke Point - 6
19.) South Lakes - 6
20.) Indian River - 5
21.) Heritage Lynchburg - 3
22.) Lafayette - 4
23.) Hampton - 5
24.) Varina - 5
25.) Stafford - 6
26.) Sherando - 4
27.) GW Danville - 4
28.) Appomattox - 2
29.) Monacan - 4
30.) Lord Boretort - 3
31.) Lake Braddock - 6
32.) Staunton River - 3
33.) Lake Taylor - 4
34.) Benedictine - Private
35.) Centerville - 6
36.) Deep Creek - 4
37.) EC Glass - 4
38.) Hermitage - 5
39.) Blacksburg - 4
40.) Patriot - 6
41.) Salem VB
42.) John Champe - 5
42.) Norview - 5
43.) North Stafford - 5
44.) Nanesmond River - 4
45.) Louisa - 5
46.) Phoebus - 3
47.) Hopewell - 3
48.) Hayfield - 6
49.) Riverbend - 6
50.) Woodgrove 6

Also receiving votes: James River (RIC) Glen Allen, Harrisonburg, Dominion, Goochland, Maury

Nice work. With your top five, its hard to choose between HSHS and Westfield. I'm not sure what Tuscarora brings back and I'm wondering if Freedom can repeat their offensive success without AJ Felton at qb. I think Indian River might creep in the top 5 by the end of the year.

VHSL 2018 Preseason Top 50: May have a few of the classifications wrong but should be close. Tried to be as fair as I could across the classifications. Anything that I am way off on?

1.) HSHS - 5
2.) Westfield - 6
3.) Manchester - 6
4.) Tuscarora - 5
4.) OS - 6
5.) Freedom Woodbridge - 6
6.) Stone Bridge - 5
7.) Ocean Lakes - 6
8.) Broad Run - 5
9.) Kings Fork - 4
10.) Eastern View - 4

Nice work. With your top five, its hard to choose between HSHS and Westfield. I'm not sure what Tuscarora brings back and I'm wondering if Freedom can repeat their offensive success without AJ Felton at qb. I think Indian River might creep in the top 5 by the end of the year.

Well said! I think Tusky and Freedom will be ok.. A lot of schools lost big pieces

Reactions: CavsGrad
I say nice work too_One glaring out to me is Phoebus! They were the only team to beat HSHS in 7v7 play this year. They played each other twice HS won the 1st game 21-20, Phoebus won the 2nd 21-18.
Phoebus won the Powerade Title! Of 48 teams from Florida, GA, SC, NC and VA. Phoebus was 1st place, HS was 4th. HS was 49-1 in 7v7 play this season.

I would put Phoebus in the top 10! I think they will be a strong contender for a State Title.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
I say nice work too_One glaring out to me is Phoebus! They were the only team to beat HSHS in 7v7 play this year. They played each other twice HS won the 1st game 21-20, Phoebus won the 2nd 21-18.
Phoebus won the Powerade Title! Of 48 teams from Florida, GA, SC, NC and VA. Phoebus was 1st place, HS was 4th. HS was 49-1 in 7v7 play this season.

I would put Phoebus in the top 10! I think they will be a strong contender for a State Title.

The article I read on 757 recruit said they finished 3rd. Top 10 is too drastic at this point for Phoebus. But they are off to a good start this summer. We will see how they are in the trenches. I know they have athletes, that is never the problem

You know how much I despise cross-class rankings, but I will make a couple of comments.

Since this is pre-season, I have to assume you ask yourself if team A played team B in the first game of the season, who would win. Appo beating Monacan, no way. Kings Fork beating Thomas Dale? Not a chance. Heritage Lyn. beating Sherando? On and on.

Five games into the season, it would be a totally different deal. But if tonight was opening night, I disagree with a lot of your rankings. But, I will say this, I know you, and I know you put a ton of thought and research into this. You did a damn good job.

It sure is hard to stay focused on our jobs this time of year, isn't it?

Reactions: mbonape1
The article I read on 757 recruit said they finished 3rd. Top 10 is too drastic at this point for Phoebus. But they are off to a good start this summer. We will see how they are in the trenches. I know they have athletes, that is never the problem

I agree. I'm rooting for Phoebus, but its hard to put them much higher than your ranking at this point.

I agree. I'm rooting for Phoebus, but its hard to put them much higher than your ranking at this point.
I would easily put them in my top 10 for Class 3. At this point in the season, looked at on an "all class level" comparison, I would have them in the 30 to 45 range somewhere.

You know how much I despise cross-class rankings, but I will make a couple of comments.

Since this is pre-season, I have to assume you ask yourself if team A played team B in the first game of the season, who would win. Appo beating Monacan, no way. Kings Fork beating Thomas Dale? Not a chance. Heritage Lyn. beating Sherando? On and on.

Five games into the season, it would be a totally different deal. But if tonight was opening night, I disagree with a lot of your rankings. But, I will say this, I know you, and I know you put a ton of thought and research into this. You did a damn good job.

DP, I used to think there was more separation between the classes, but now I don't think it is always present. Kings Fork taking down Smith year is a perfect example, although I think Smith's offense has been down the past couple of seasons. Of course there will be years that the bigger schools will be a clear favorite, but I wouldn't say heritage and kings fork wouldn't have a chance in the examples you gave.

I do agree mbobape1 did a nice job putting together this poll and I can't wait for the season to start.

I followed the tournament on Tournament Machine and the HS coaches verified that Phoebus was the winner.

I would beg to differ... I say that KF / Heritage Lynchburg / Appo would definitely have a shot at winning. Certainly, not certain of this but they could. You don't think KF would have a chance at beating TD??? Yes, I guess we definitely have a major difference in opinion there. Appo is the only one I am not sure about but I needed a class 2 on the list and they have quite the tradition over the past few years. Monacan is returning a lot but we lost our 5 best players. Best QB, RB, WR, DE, LT. Much to be seen. HL had a whale of a season and is returning a lot. We shall see.

AND - yes we are all chomping at the bit ready for the season to start.

@springer76 I do have Phoebus on the list though :)

As far as the separation in the strength in different classes, I agree with you, "I don't know anymore". Of course, it changes every year. Just when you think you have it figured out, "a little team that shouldn't, does!"

Class 2 Appomattox would have given most every Class 3 and many top Class 4 teams all they could handle in recent years.

I think the biggest thing that distinguishes the Classes from one another is the need to play all of your most athletic kids on almost every down. All teams have a special kid or two that the coach wants in the game as much as possible. But from about Class 4 and above, it's not as mandatory. These larger schools, with larger rosters, are able to keep fresh legs in the game, longer. When a school with 700 kids plays a school with 1700 kids, the odds are that the bigger school wears down the smaller school, no matter how good the smaller school is.

Not always, I'll grant you that. On any given Friday night, you know what can happen.

I think a Phoebus fan was updating the tournament machine app. Lol

https://www.blazing7on7.com/

Maybe it's perspective, like in the old USSR Cold War days. The Russians and Americans once played each other in some long forgotten athletic event. The USA won. Pravda reported that the Soviet team finished second, but the Americans finished next to last!

http://www.ultimaterecruit.com/recruit757-2/
just telling you what the article says.
I don't know what to say. I didn't go but I was told AND the bracket indicates that they won it too. If they didn't, I wonder who did. HS finished 9-1 They were the #1 seed until Phoebus knocked them off. HS was somewhere between 4-8th I guess. Doesn't really matter, just talk at this point. We are ready for real football now though, right!! HS lost in the quarter final. Not semi final.

That tournament that Pheobus finished 3rd at was against 48 teams. Bishop Sullivan, Highland Springs, West Forsyth, NC, etc all we're beaten at this Tournament. 1st & 2nd Teams are also major State Powerhouse teams which often make National Rankings... W. Wilson from NJ & Shelby from NC.

Pheobus may be the most likely to win a State Title from the 757. BTW, the Phantoms scrimmage O. Smith Aug 9th!

Last edited:
Pheobus may be the most likely to win a State Title from the 757.

I agree with that but I don't think they are a top 5 team in the 757 at this point. I would love to see them return to glory! What would their record be if they were in the SE district for example? I think they are going to be vastly improved and what they did in 7 on 7 is amazing. I just need to see it in real time this year. I want to see how they do with the teams outside of the Peninsula district. If I was ranking class 3 statewide they would certainly be a top 5 selection.

That tournament that Pheobus finished 3rd at was against 48 teams. Bishop Sullivan, Highland Springs, West Forsyth, NC, etc all we're beaten at this Tournament. 1st & 2nd Teams are also major State Powerhouse teams which often make National Rankings... W. Wilson from NJ & Shelby from NC.

Pheobus may be the most likely to win a State Title from the 757. BTW, the Phantoms scrimmage O. Smith Aug 9th!

I follow the national rankings and teams from different regions, but I've never heard of that Wilson team, so it surprised me to see them win it all with the other teams mentioned. Honestly, I can't recall seeing a NJ public ranked in recent years because the NJ powerhouses are usually the private teams (Bergen Catholic, Don Bosco, etc.).

Not sure where I thought W. Wilson had high National Rankings, We don't have to long to find out how things will play out, right? As far as how the Phantoms would fair against the S.E. District Schedule, we could get a chance to see on Aug 9th vs O. Smith.

Pheobus lost to Hopewell in the 3A Semi-Final last year.

this top 50 doesn't mean anything you have teams in their that lost a lot of players and teams who won a championship behind them and 7 on 7 you can't judge teams just by playing in 7 on 7 the game is played on the field 11 on 11 that's when you can tell.

this top 50 doesn't mean anything you have teams in their that lost a lot of players and teams who won a championship behind them and 7 on 7 you can't judge teams just by playing in 7 on 7 the game is played on the field 11 on 11 that's when you can tell.

Just really a conversation starter, not that many people post on here so was just trying to add a little value. Regarding "teams in their that lost a lot of players and teams who won a championship behind them" that is bc it is a cross classification ranking. Also, just bc a team won last year doesn't mean they are my favorite for this year. But it certainly doesn't hurt. Agree with you on the 7 on 7 piece. Helps but is not a slam dunk on a teams potential. Would you mind giving me your top 10-15? Interested to see what you think.

Reactions: 97Srhs24095
Just really a conversation starter, not that many people post on here so was just trying to add a little value. Regarding "teams in their that lost a lot of players and teams who won a championship behind them" that is bc it is a cross classification ranking. Also, just bc a team won last year doesn't mean they are my favorite for this year. But it certainly doesn't hurt. Agree with you on the 7 on 7 piece. Helps but is not a slam dunk on a teams potential. Would you mind giving me your top 10-15? Interested to see what you think.
I think some team have strong programs and reputations to go along with it that keeps them highly ranked even though un proven.

Reactions: falcettik
I respect your top 50 I'm just saying in general it doesn't matter where you are ranked it's what you do on the field when the season starts and where you finish.

You mean like that team from Highland Springs???
Could be ...But, I think HS has proven their stock and with nearly everybody coming back + a few formidable additions, I think they have earned a spot at the top!
Henrico- unproven
Dale- unproven
Hernitage- has a lot to prove as does Bird!
Dinwiddie- still has some proving to do.
Manchester- Even though they proved they were good last year, being loaded this year, I think they deserve their ranking as well. Even though, the need to win a title to be KING ON THE HILL! HSHS has that Title until somebody takes it!

Smith should be 3 with Manchester. A touchdown or less in OT championship game loses(3) to Westfield they clearly are # 3 team in the state. Westfield is the thorn in there side which they have there # 4-0 backs that up. As far as everyone else such as Manchester, Thomas Dale, and colonial forge in D6 they know they have get through Smith to even get a chance to play for a championship.

Smith should be 3 with Manchester. A touchdown or less in OT championship game loses(3) to Westfield they clearly are # 3 team in the state. Westfield is the thorn in there side which they have there # 4-0 backs that up. As far as everyone else such as Manchester, Thomas Dale, and colonial forge in D6 they know they have get through Smith to even get a chance to play for a championship.

Last team to 4 peat recently was Phoebus in D5. It will be interesting to see if both HSHS and Westfield does it.

Smith is the only team that I know of which has been to the State Finals in 6 of the last 10 Title games. Never beating Westfield IS a big deal which definitely elevates them above the Tigers.

Not mad at that... I just thought Smith lost a lot plus a few transfers to Indian River. Manchester was the opposite.. but OS could certainly be as high as number 3.

Not mad at that... I just thought Smith lost a lot plus a few transfers to Indian River. Manchester was the opposite.. but OS could certainly be as high as number 3.

I think someone mentioned Cam'Ron Kelly moves back to QB this year for OS. If he can be an efficient passer with targets, that gives OS a legitimate dual threat QB, because he is a playmaker.

Smith is the only team that I know of which has been to the State Finals in 6 of the last 10 Title games. Never beating Westfield IS a big deal which definitely elevates them above the Tigers.
I definitely agree with the never beating Westfield but at the end of the day as coach Morgan once stated to get to the championship game from the south area you have to go deal with Smith. Manchester is great and deep but they have yet to get to the 6A south championship period because they can't get past Colonial Forge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT