ADVERTISEMENT

Private schools playing 8 man football

bulldog1150

VaPreps Varsity
Nov 5, 2001
I heard that VES, Stab, and Covenant were all playing 8-man next year. What other schools are looking to do this? How will it impact the playoff structure?

A lot of schools are making the shift, and some are making a huge deal about NOT making the shift (Fuqua).

If there are enough teams shifting to 8-man, the VISAA can sponsor a separate 8-man championship (essentially a separate, one-division sport)-- problem solved. Might even get Southampton back playing this side of the state line. We'll have to see exactly how many teams are making the change before speculating any further.

A lot of schools are making the shift, and some are making a huge deal about NOT making the shift (Fuqua).

If there are enough teams shifting to 8-man, the VISAA can sponsor a separate 8-man championship (essentially a separate, one-division sport)-- problem solved. Might even get Southampton back playing this side of the state line. We'll have to see exactly how many teams are making the change before speculating any further.
Do you know what other teams are going to make the switch? I think it is an awesome idea. With declining roster numbers in public schools, I wonder how long before we see a group of VHSL schools explore the possibility.

The good side to 8 man is that it allows schools that can not normally compete with other schools based on enrollment numbers to compete. The down side is that kids are hardly ever recruited and 1 stud athlete will make a team and a lot of things happen for that team. Also, 8-man coaches are frowned upon by 11 man coaches a lot of the time and it is hard to move back up to 11 man just because of the way the game is viewed and the rules that follow it. However at the end of the day it is all block and tackle and how well match ups can be won. I like the fact they are making or thinking of making a way for smaller schools to compete once again. Also, nothing says that the 8 man schools can not elect to move back up to 11 man t after a few years of success and sideline numbers increase. The 8-man games are usually over by half anyway due to the Mercy Rule. But these games can still get out of hand. Remember 2 less linemen and 1 less person in the backfield does make a huge difference in the game.

I will agree that it makes it easier for one or two players to dominate a game, similar to basketball. But I don't think it hurts recruitabilty at all. I subscribe to that if you can play, colleges don't give a darn where you are or who you played in high school. I think the wide open nature of 8 man makes it easier to see athleticism or a lack there of. If you have the goods, college coaches will notice.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...wn-8-man-football-to-making-big-plays-at-iowa

I will agree that it makes it easier for one or two players to dominate a game, similar to basketball. But I don't think it hurts recruitabilty at all. I subscribe to that if you can play, colleges don't give a darn where you are or who you played in high school. I think the wide open nature of 8 man makes it easier to see athleticism or a lack there of. If you have the goods, college coaches will notice.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...wn-8-man-football-to-making-big-plays-at-iowa
I have seen first hand where 8 man guys are overlooked. There are always exceptions to every rule. As a former 8 man coach in a different state, speed, tackling, ball handling ability all does not matter. Unless you a truely exceptional stand out, he more than likely will not get a d1 offer. Those kids with that talent level will usually transfer to a 11 mam school for better looks. Even the starting LB from boise state was a walk on. He played 8 man and single handedly diffused oregon in the las vegas bowl this year. If he was 11 man he would have been given an offer, but as an 8 man kid he had to be a walk on.

Reactions: bulldog1150
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT