ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Class 6 teams.........

cutnjump

VaPreps All District
Jun 30, 2008
that can apply as well to other classes. I am trying to more inform my perception of VaHS football as played now compared to earlier times. My question is how many players on your current squad play both ways? I am not talking about the occasional play or series but, rather taking 50% or more of the snaps on both sides(offense and defense, excluding special teams) of the ball game in and game out. If you would like to respond please give school name, classification(6A, 5A, etc.) and the number of two way players. Thanks.

...most familiar with James Madison Warhawks... there the answer is seldom unless there is an unusual talent. John Hurley two years ago, safety, kick returner, and wide receiver/flanker back (too much speed not to have on the field, now a So. at UVa) and earlier Sam Kidd though more used as a running back when on offense, not as much though (just finished at JMU). Otherwise it is the typical WR/KR or LB in on a heavy package as a FB on certain short yardage/goal line plays.

Reactions: cutnjump
I know from my buddy at Thomas Dale they try to not do that. Some years are leaner than others at the line positions, but overall, they try to platoon

I'm pretty sure at Highland Springs it doesn't happen often. I don't think there are any going both ways to any extent. I could be wrong though, but I'm pretty sure.
Now when HS has a big lead in the 2nd half, there is a lot in kids in and out, but not sure if any of them go both ways either.

Two ways for that much time are very rare in the upper classifications. Westfield has had a few recently who played on both sides of the ball but that is usually situation dependent and not a standing practice. The last true multi-way player for Westfield was Taylor Morin, a current three year starter at Wake. He played WR, S, and PR/KR. He accounted for all four Westfield TDs in the state semifinal loss in 2018. If memory serves me right, he scored on a kick return TD, interception (or fumble?) return TD, caught a pass for a TD, and passed for a TD when he had to go in at QB.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure at Highland Springs it doesn't happen often. I don't think there are any going both ways to any extent. I could be wrong though, but I'm pretty sure.
Now when HS has a big lead in the 2nd half, there is a lot in kids in and out, but not sure if any of them go both ways either.
The only one that I know of is Noah Jenkins for Highland Springs. He plays running back and wide receiver on offense, and also plays corner on defense

Two ways for that much time are very rare in the upper classifications. Westfield has had a few recently who played on both sides of the ball but that is usually situation dependent and not a standing practice. The last true multi-way player for Westfield was Taylor Morin, a current three year starter at Wake. He played WR, S, and PR/KR. He accounted for all four Westfield TDs in the state semifinal loss in 2018. If memory serves me right, he scored on a kick return TD, interception (or fumble?) return TD, caught a pass for a TD, and passed for a TD when he had to go in at QB.
The purpose for my question and mostly/originally directed at Class 6/5 was to see whether platooning was still the general practice or if two way guys had become more common with declining participation numbers.

In earlier times platooning was the standard in the old AAA(now 5 and 6) classification. It was also really the difference between AAA and the lower classifications. In the lower classes two way players were more common even on the best teams and that difference was generally the reason there was little to no real debate on AA/A being able to compete with AAA. The lower classes had good players who could play in AAA without question but, the sheer difference in the total quantity of quality players meant in all but very rare instances the smaller class teams wore down during the course of the game and could not generally close the W in the fourth quarter in battles of good vs. good.

That distinction seems to have blurred some in more recent times with the move to six classes and I am trying to see if there might be a move away from platooning in the upper classes that COULD further explain my perception of some compression between the classes. It may also have something to do with strict adherence to ADM and some smaller schools who earlier played up very effectively being forced into their natural classification according to enrollment numbers.

Falcettik — Did Eugene Asante play both running back and line backer at one point for Westfield before he transitioned entirely to linebacker?

Last edited:
Falcettik — Did Eugene Asante play both running back and line backer at one point for Westfield before he transitioned entirely to linebacker?
Asante was strictly at RB for his first three years with the program. Senior year he moved to LB with just a handful of RB carries (not many). I think the switch may have been as a result of advice he received through the recruiting process, as it certainly paid off to switch to LB when he received a scholarship to UNC. He is now with Auburn.

The purpose for my question and mostly/originally directed at Class 6/5 was to see whether platooning was still the general practice or if two way guys had become more common with declining participation numbers.

In earlier times platooning was the standard in the old AAA(now 5 and 6) classification. It was also really the difference between AAA and the lower classifications. In the lower classes two way players were more common even on the best teams and that difference was generally the reason there was little to no real debate on AA/A being able to compete with AAA. The lower classes had good players who could play in AAA without question but, the sheer difference in the total quantity of quality players meant in all but very rare instances the smaller class teams wore down during the course of the game and could not generally close the W in the fourth quarter in battles of good vs. good.

That distinction seems to have blurred some in more recent times with the move to six classes and I am trying to see if there might be a move away from platooning in the upper classes that COULD further explain my perception of some compression between the classes. It may also have something to do with strict adherence to ADM and some smaller schools who earlier played up very effectively being forced into their natural classification according to enrollment numbers.
Perhaps I don't understand the definition of platoon in this case, but if you mean that they use a group of players at a position and rotate them for rest or in specific situations, then I say yes it is still prevalent-more so than true two way players who rarely leave the field. For example, at Westfield that process seems to happen more on the defensive side of the ball, with maybe 4 DL for 3 DL positions, 4-5 LB for 3 positions, and 5-6 S/CB for the 4 secondary positions. They also use up to 5 different WR for various situations. That said, i would say the starters in each of those position groups usually get the vast majority of snaps until the game is in hand or the subs come in for the last 1-2 series. As you would expect, a lot also depends on the opponent whether or not this happens more or less.

I will add that quality depth has certainly diminished in the past decade or so, IMO. Some teams still have quality depth but not nearly as many as in the past. Overall team numbers are generally shrinking too (that has been discussed on these boards before). My observations are only anecdotal but that is my impression. That alone does reduce the chance that a team platoons and increases the chances of two way players.

Last edited:
The only one that I know of is Noah Jenkins for Highland Springs. He plays running back and wide receiver on offense, and also plays corner on defense
We also have Jakyre Henley (the magician). You might see him on the field in a variety of ways. HooSprings, how about the RB, Eric Byrd (sophomore)! He did most of the rushing damage against Miramar!

Perhaps I don't understand the definition of platoon in this case, but if you mean that they use a group of players at a position and rotate them for rest or in specific situations, then I say yes it is still prevalent-more so than true two way players who rarely leave the field. For example, at Westfield that process seems to happen more on the defensive side of the ball, with maybe 4 DL for 3 DL positions, 4-5 LB for 3 positions, and 5-6 S/CB for the 4 secondary positions. They also use up to 5 different WR for various situations. That said, i would say the starters in each of those position groups usually get the vast majority of snaps until the game is in hand or the subs come in for the last 1-2 series. As you would expect, a lot also depends on the opponent whether or not this happens more or less.

I will add that quality depth has certainly diminished in the past decade or so, IMO. Some teams still have quality depth but not nearly as many as in the past. Overall team numbers are generally shrinking too (that has been discussed on these boards before). My observations are only anecdotal but that is my impression. That alone does reduce the chance that a team platoons and increases the chances of two way players.
Falcettik - that seems pretty common with the more competitive, playoff level 6C/6D region teams... they have enough talent rotate and rest throughout the game without needing to stick to starters only.

We also have Jakyre Henley (the magician). You might see him on the field in a variety of ways. HooSprings, how about the RB, Eric Byrd (sophomore)! He did most of the rushing damage against Miramar!
He’s the addition that no one counted on? He’s a TrackStar that seems to be impossible to bring down. He went through a defense with seven Division I players(out of 11 starters)for 70 yards breaking tackles the whole way. It’s a good change because it allows Noah Jenkins to play wide receiver where he belongs. Henley is on only going to play offense and punt/kick returner. He is not going to play any defense.. the change of pace, putting him at running back in the fourth quarter was a huge advantage as well to give the sophomore running back a break. Out of 31 teams that came in from out of state, only in Highland, Springs and Don Bosco won versus Florida teams. I saw one thing that Johnson did that made me realize just how smart of a coach he really is and it was on the defensive side of the ball.

He’s got a couple of wide receivers that have to stop eating popcorn before the game. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: springer76

Based on your original reply you understood the question and my definition of platooning. It is essentially two separate units with little or no overlap of starters between units. Teams with enough depth to substitute liberally in a tight game without a clearly delineated starter also meet what I am thinking of.

Reactions: falcettik
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT