ADVERTISEMENT

question for FB ref

I outlined them in two threads below. There are no changes I think will be obvious to a fan. Mostly admin changes and the new one about concussions that wasn't clearly explained when I wrote the first thread. If you look at the second thread, mentioning that coaches should take note of the sideline emphasis, a better explanation is included.

No major changes in football rules this year

thanks for update. reference sideline rule, I think that's gonna cause some problems because it ain't gonna be enforced by every crew. I saw this last season. some officials basically ignore where coaches are in relation to sideline, while others seem to focus 90% of their attention on where the coaches are. I saw one guy who was so concerned about where the HC was standing, if the HC had been "on the track" I believe the official would have had him move back another yard or 2.

Re: Had a ref tell me at a scrimmage last night ...

about the sideline emphasis and the change in sideline rules. I was with two of the guys that I've worked the chains with for 25 years. He said there are no more sideline warnings, the first sideline violation is a 15 yard penalty and the second is an ejection. If that's really called, I think fans will notice that and be wonderng what is going on. Any thoughts? Just curious. I really enjoy this board! Have a good one!

Originally posted by m-squared:
about the sideline emphasis and the change in sideline rules. I was with two of the guys that I've worked the chains with for 25 years. He said there are no more sideline warnings, the first sideline violation is a 15 yard penalty and the second is an ejection. If that's really called, I think fans will notice that and be wonderng what is going on. Any thoughts? Just curious. I really enjoy this board! Have a good one!

That's only if there is actual physical contact -- someone gets in an official's way and they run into each other. Last year some guys were calling that a warning and others were penalizing 15 yards because there was no directive. Now there is -- all contact is 15 yards, but I stress "contact."

If someone is in the restricted area, the procedure is the same as always, warning, then 5 yards then 15.

let's just hope it's enforced equally statewide. I am afraid it's gonna be enforced in some games, and not in others, depending on who's got the "assignment". Some sideline judges pay more attention to this area, than others.

If coaches follow the rules, it won't be an issue anywhere.

very true, but I know not all will follow rule. until a warning or a flag.

Thanks for the info. It will be interesting to see if this is called at any games I work at and if so how it's called. The official talking to us didn't say anything about contact and said it was different than last year. In 25 years, I don't think I've ever seen an official run into a coach or vice versa - I'm sure it's happened though. Have a good one!

Coaches have had a year. They know what the rule is. I don't think it will be a bit of problem this year.

Agreed. It's been a year since the coaches had to be clear of the restricted area during a live ball, and if last year was any indication there shouldn't be many infractions this year. I think the head coaches will be on top of this because the fouls will be assessed against THEM rather than the person who wasn't where they were supposed to be. Two such personal fouls and the head coach is ejected rather than the perpetrator(s).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT