ADVERTISEMENT

Question for SpartanOfYore

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
Do you think Jeff Highfill will retire after this season? He's closing in on 40 years of coaching football. (didn’t realize he also coached soccer till he retired last year) Obviously, a very good coach, and he always had a knack of playing the Spartans tight. I always got nervous in close games with Byrd because he would just go ALL IN. I guess because he was an ALHS graduate it just meant more to him to beat Salem. I guess other than Joel Hicks he was better at it than the rest. With Basham graduating next spring it got me thinking Highfill might consider that a good stopping point. What do you think?

Do you think Jeff Highfill will retire after this season? He's closing in on 40 years of coaching football. (didn’t realize he also coached soccer till he retired last year) Obviously, a very good coach, and he always had a knack of playing the Spartans tight. I always got nervous in close games with Byrd because he would just go ALL IN. I guess because he was an ALHS graduate it just meant more to him to beat Salem. I guess other than Joel Hicks he was better at it than the rest. With Basham graduating next spring it got me thinking Highfill might consider that a good stopping point. What do you think?

I honestly don't know. I think Highfill just really enjoys coaching. Having shed the soccer duties, maybe he will feel reinvigorated on the gridiron. As you point out, Basham's departure next year would seem to be a logical time to call it quits, if he is so inclined. If that announcement isn't made next winter, it wouldn't surprise me to see Highfill lead the Terriers for at least another five years.

A question for you: last week, I heard lots of bad news concerning a number of Spartan football players. If all that was told to me turns out to be true, I could see Salem going from a strong favorite for the state title, to quite possibly not even making it to the regional championship game. Have you heard anything along those lines?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I honestly don't know. I think Highfill just really enjoys coaching. Having shed the soccer duties, maybe he will feel reinvigorated on the gridiron. As you point out, Basham's departure next year would seem to be a logical time to call it quits, if he is so inclined. If that announcement isn't made next winter, it wouldn't surprise me to see Highfill lead the Terriers for at least another five years.

A question for you: last week, I heard lots of bad news concerning a number of Spartan football players. If all that was told to me turns out to be true, I could see Salem going from a strong favorite for the state title, to quite possibly not even making it to the regional championship game. Have you heard anything along those lines?
I haven't heard anything so I must be out of the loop.

If you are talking about Mundy injury, I saw his dad this weekend and he broke the bone next to same one he had surgery on last year. In a boot for four weeks and will see after that.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
If you are talking about Mundy injury, I saw his dad this weekend and he broke the bone next to same one he had surgery on last year. In a boot for four weeks and will see after that.

That was indeed part of it; thanks for the info.

Good luck to this young man. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Are there concerns with other players?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT