ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Staunton River people

VaBlueDevil33

VaPreps Varsity
Feb 12, 2009
How do you get to the school from say Salem? Thinking of coming to the game Friday but have no idea how to get to the school....thanks for your help

Reactions: Chucksteel72
How do you get to the school from say Salem? Thinking of coming to the game Friday but have no idea how to get to the school....thanks for your help
From Salem, ease on over to Vinton and run 24 east to Bedford county. Once you pass William Byrd it's only 10-15 minutes. School is on your left.

That is correct..Briar Woods was the better team. SR came into the championship game favorites and took it on the chin. I am just messing with Chucky because he has been a thorn in my side all season. Keep calm.

Last edited:
Reactions: gwb16
That is correct..Briar Woods was the better team. SR came into the championship game favorites and took it on the chin. I am just messing with Chucky because he has been a thorn in my side all season. Keep calm.
Pioneer4life you "stepped" on this thorn ! So you did it to yourself lol. It's all good. My skin is a little thicker than most.

Reactions: gwb16
If it helps any... from Salem take 81 to 581 toward the airport. Get on 460 east, turn right on Washington Avenue (VA- 24). Go past Vinton (William Byrd) and Staunton River will be on your left. Parking could be an issue, but you should be able to find a spot. Roughly 45 minutes from Salem High School.

Northside has some players! Don't be surprised, if they play their game, for an upset. I honestly believe NS has better talent.

On 24 in Moneta, Va. You can not miss it...Google "choke in state championship game" and SR high school will come up on Google maps..LOL...
I was at the game. Far from a choke. We may never know, but I am almost positive Overstreet was injured in the 1st qtr. not much been said about it, and he is not the type to bring it up. He went out for a few plays but finished the game. As far as the game itself, the difference was depth. Bburg would run on 10-11players during change of possesion, whereas SR. almost every kid stayed on the field. Bburg wore them down

Reactions: Chucksteel72
In all fairness to Heritage, Briar Woods was playing below the classification that they were supposed to be in. BW should've been in Division 6.

Northside has some players! Don't be surprised, if they play their game, for an upset. I honestly believe NS has better talent.
How does a team with "better" talent lose 51-14? I really need help understanding how that's possible. Are you saying that Northside coaching is that bad? Or is it SR coaching that good? Please elaborate.

I moved away in '75...my family left in '78. The last football game I attended at Varina was a Saturday afternoon game against Benedictine in '77 (Varina won) while visiting.

I haven't been back to Varina but twice since '77, the last time was 1992...I understand things have changed quite a bit.:D
I love Varina! I went there in 07 (my 8th grade year) to watch them play my GW Danville Eagles.. Never would have imagined in 30 zillion years that I would be working there in 2017 :D.. Had the pleasure of meeting the head football coach at Varina, Coach Stu Brown, and found out he was from Gretna! Great man. Hated that we lost to Henrico on Friday :mad:

I was at the game. Far from a choke. We may never know, but I am almost positive Overstreet was injured in the 1st qtr. not much been said about it, and he is not the type to bring it up. He went out for a few plays but finished the game. As far as the game itself, the difference was depth. Bburg would run on 10-11players during change of possesion, whereas SR. almost every kid stayed on the field. Bburg wore them down
Overstreet was running just as hard in the 4th as he was the 1st. Great kid and player, I give him his due. But it takes more than 1. Had SR played any team other than Bburg, they would be wearing rings. Bburg's coaches have seen the single wing more than any staff, they simply had a game plan to slow it down. Notice I didn't say stop.

Overstreet was running just as hard in the 4th as he was the 1st. Great kid and player, I give him his due. But it takes more than 1. Had SR played any team other than Bburg, they would be wearing rings. Bburg's coaches have seen the single wing more than any staff, they simply had a game plan to slow it down. Notice I didn't say stop.
I thought both teams played outstanding defense. Ultimately, I thought that our depth was an issue in the 2nd half. (SR depth, that is)

Yea......and?
IMO, SR completed some key passes in the game. 1st being the TD and others to setup some key plays in the 2nd half. As a Bburg fan, those stood out for a team I don't think we expected to throw at all. Passing stats weren't great, certainly the INTs hurt them.

IMO, SR completed some key passes in the game. 1st being the TD and others to setup some key plays in the 2nd half. As a Bburg fan, those stood out for a team I don't think we expected to throw at all. Passing stats weren't great, certainly the INTs hurt them.

If they could pass even half decent they would have a title IMO

How does a team with "better" talent lose 51-14? I really need help understanding how that's possible. Are you saying that Northside coaching is that bad? Or is it SR coaching that good? Please elaborate.
I never said the coaching at NS was good. It's ok, you will stop playing bad teams this Friday...

I never said the coaching at NS was good. It's ok, you will stop playing bad teams this Friday...
You did say "Northside has better talent" Quit ducking the damn question! How was it possible that SR won by blowout, if they were less talented? Once you and pioneer4life get backed into a corner you try and change the subject. As far as SR playing bad teams. You had Liberty, Lord Botetourt and Northside beating SR. Now you are on the WB bandwagon! Go ahead. Eventually you might get 1 right. Then again you could end up looking like you have no clue. Wait a minute, by the looks of all your predictions, you dont have a clue lmao.

You did say "Northside has better talent" Quit ducking the damn question! How was it possible that SR won by blowout, if they were less talented? Once you and pioneer4life get backed into a corner you try and change the subject. As far as SR playing bad teams. You had Liberty, Lord Botetourt and Northside beating SR. Now you are on the WB bandwagon! Go ahead. Eventually you might get 1 right. Then again you could end up looking like you have no clue. Wait a minute, by the looks of all your predictions, you dont have a clue lmao.
blah blah blah. SR just isn't that good. You are just a big meanie.

Now with Basham out what's everyone odds on SR winning. My bet is extremely good. Good Luck SR!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT