ADVERTISEMENT

Question

Nov 1, 2005
I know we have all seen questionable calls. A team should never blame a loss on bad officiating. My thought is that a team should take advantage of opportunities within a game so that a bad call doesn’t dictate the outcome. Wiki, the honorable, you’ve seen a lot in your tenure as a respectful Amherst fan. I’m sure many can attest and contribute to this convo. In 2005, did Spradlin’s supposid catch against Amherst in the region finals have an impact on the outcome of the game? Was Salem the better team? I was there and I think it did have an impact and I believe Amherst was the better team. Salem went on to win a state championship that season. If Amherst would have won that game, it would have been their state championship season. As you’ve seen the bburg ecg 2017 game was also officiated poorly by yet again Roanoke officials. The video of the catch was posted earlier. You’ve seen both plays. Are they comparable? Not saying at all that ecg was the better team against bburg, but the game could have had a different outcome barring multiple suspect calls. Worst officiating I’ve ever witnessed in a high stakes high school football event...

Reactions: MrSir#5
The bad calls in the Bburg/Glass game went both ways IMO.
State your factual evidence. I can show you atleast 10 calls missed by the Roanoke officials from that game alone. Thanks to “the one ☝️” that I don’t have to watch roanoke officiated games every Friday night. I’ve watched the ecg vs bburg game at least dozen times. Point of my original post...what is the Roanoke officiating committee doing to improve their quality of officiating. Over time they been known to be terrible, nobody wants to travel to Roanoke to play a game ...thats a fact, and I got plenty of evidence, not just in this game but over the years.

Last edited:
I know we have all seen questionable calls. A team should never blame a loss on bad officiating. My thought is that a team should take advantage of opportunities within a game so that a bad call doesn’t dictate the outcome. Wiki, the honorable, you’ve seen a lot in your tenure as a respectful Amherst fan. I’m sure many can attest and contribute to this convo. In 2005, did Spradlin’s supposid catch against Amherst in the region finals have an impact on the outcome of the game? Was Salem the better team? I was there and I think it did have an impact and I believe Amherst was the better team. Salem went on to win a state championship that season. If Amherst would have won that game, it would have been their state championship season. As you’ve seen the bburg ecg 2017 game was also officiated poorly by yet again Roanoke officials. The video of the catch was posted earlier. You’ve seen both plays. Are they comparable? Not saying at all that ecg was the better team against bburg, but the game could have had a different outcome barring multiple suspect calls. Worst officiating I’ve ever witnessed in a high stakes high school football event...
I’m only stating my opinion because you asked. That catch for Spradlin was the worst call in high school that I’ve ever seen. It was 3 feet out of bounds and it gave Salem a touchdown. Could they have gotten it anyway yes and no. The bad thing about it was that not one official discussed it that night and anyone with eyesight knew that was not a touchdown. Amherst was the better team that night and got robbed. Yes they would have won the state that year. Both that ref and Spradlin have since admitted that it was a terrible call. Amherst had a chance to win it with a field goal, but a penalty was also called on that play as well. It should have never gotten to that point. That call changes the impact of that game. That was the maddest and hurt as I have ever been when I saw the players on the field crying. On the way back to the parking lot, a few Salem fans were making rude comments and some of us almost got into a fight. Amherst got their revenge the following year and it was nice. The Glass game was nowhere near close to that call. I still have the photo from the paper of how far out of bounds Spradlin was. Coach Abell did the best he could to make the players not feel so bad. Again, in no way does that call for Blackburg compare. I sat on the team that played against Salem that year in the state and wore my Amherst shirt and they even talked about it. Anyway it is what it is and I wouldn’t have brought it up but you asked. I will probably be attacked for my comments but after this season is over I have decided not to post anymore on Va. preps haven’t enjoyed it this Year

Reactions: MrSir#5
I’m only stating my opinion because you asked. That catch for Spradlin was the worst call in high school that I’ve ever seen. It was 3 feet out of bounds and it gave Salem a touchdown. Could they have gotten it anyway yes and no. The bad thing about it was that not one official discussed it that night and anyone with eyesight knew that was not a touchdown. Amherst was the better team that night and got robbed. Yes they would have won the state that year. Both that ref and Spradlin have since admitted that it was a terrible call. Amherst had a chance to win it with a field goal, but a penalty was also called on that play as well. It should have never gotten to that point. That call changes the impact of that game. That was the maddest and hurt as I have ever been when I saw the players on the field crying. On the way back to the parking lot, a few Salem fans were making rude comments and some of us almost got into a fight. Amherst got their revenge the following year and it was nice. The Glass game was nowhere near close to that call. I still have the photo from the paper of how far out of bounds Spradlin was. Coach Abell did the best he could to make the players not feel so bad. Again, in no way does that call for Blackburg compare. I sat on the team that played against Salem that year in the state and wore my Amherst shirt and they even talked about it. Anyway it is what it is and I wouldn’t have brought it up but you asked. I will probably be attacked for my comments but after this season is over I have decided not to post anymore on Va. preps haven’t enjoyed it this Year

Thank you for your post, glad you came out of hiding to answer. Thanks for stating your business. We are always interested in your 2 cents. Some may not like it from time to time, but do realize what we all miss without your pennies for thought...This board is brutal. You have given Your share of biased brutal responses over the years. On the real you can’t quit. You can’t “take your toys and go home.” Be tough and keep giving folks hell in support of your lancers. Speakin to your informative response, I will say this at least tony caught the ball in 2005, #8 from Blacksburg didn’t even make the catch as is obvious from the footage, his response, as well as his coaches’ response after viewing the footage. We will not except you quitting.

State your factual evidence. I can show you atleast 10 calls missed by the Roanoke officials from that game alone. Thanks to “the one ☝️” that I don’t have to watch roanoke officiated games every Friday night. I’ve watched the ecg vs bburg game at least dozen times. Point of my original post...what is the Roanoke officiating committee doing to improve their quality of officiating. Over time they been known to be terrible, nobody wants to travel to Roanoke to play a game ...thats a fact, and I got plenty of evidence, not just in this game but over the years.
I’m not arguing your original point, only pointing out that bad calls were made against both teams in that game as is typical in all HS football games. I don’t care where the refs are from, it happens. You also mentioned the Bburg player and coaches reaction to that call, I don’t recall seeing anything specific to that in any media I saw.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Thank you for your post, glad you came out of hiding to answer. Thanks for stating your business. We are always interested in your 2 cents. Some may not like it from time to time, but do realize what we all miss without your pennies for thought...This board is brutal. You have given Your share of biased brutal responses over the years. On the real you can’t quit. You can’t “take your toys and go home.” Be tough and keep giving folks hell in support of your lancers. Speakin to your informative response, I will say this at least tony caught the ball in 2005, #8 from Blacksburg didn’t even make the catch as is obvious from the footage, his response, as well as his coaches’ response after viewing the footage. We will not except you quitting.
Catching it three feet out of bounds is the same to me, it was a touchdown, Blacksburg wasn’t

Man.. wikki been supporting Amherst since 03 on this board. Don't let these jive turkeys push you off. You are a vet at this. Most of the ones that bash you are new to the game. I've been reading your posts since I played and we appreciated the loyalty. We might not see eye to eye on the direction of the program but you are a loyal fan. I'll defend you when you are right and say my peace when I have other opinions. You are a part of Amherst football Wikki and always will be!

Reactions: 1Gensfan
I’m not arguing your original point, only pointing out that bad calls were made against both teams in that game as is typical in all HS football games. I don’t care where the refs are from, it happens. You also mentioned the Bburg player and coaches reaction to that call, I don’t recall seeing anything specific to that in any media I saw.

Watch it again. The player smacks the ground after he drops it in discust, the coaches’ (plural) response is an obvious let down as well.

Wasn't at either game, but have seen both. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Both incorrect calls, I have seen incorrect calls in my life too, both as fan and coach. I have never seen a call cost a team a game. There were many other plays in game. Just my opinion, but I certainly don't think officials deserve the flack they get all the time, every game, by at least one side.

Like I have said, my opinion and won't say I am right. But I'm sure people wouldn't want someone coming to their job criticizing them, thinking they know more. Everyone makes mistakes, and I am sure they feel bad that these calls overshadow the games, and positive they weren't doing it maliciously

Reactions: LunchPailD
Man.. wikki been supporting Amherst since 03 on this board. Don't let these jive turkeys push you off. You are a vet at this. Most of the ones that bash you are new to the game. I've been reading your posts since I played and we appreciated the loyalty. We might not see eye to eye on the direction of the program but you are a loyal fan. I'll defend you when you are right and say my peace when I have other opinions. You are a part of Amherst football Wikki and always will be!
I’ve been thinking it about it for awhile and several posters question my post as if I’ve lied or made up things, which is not the case. I know a lot of coaches from several teams in this area and two referees so when I post certain things I got the facts. I am a person with passion and integrity and love the Lancers and will defend to the end. I have not enjoyed Va Preps this year at all. I believe I’ve been a member since 2001. I’ve really not enjoyed football as much either, just not the same, not because of the record but other things. I have the passion but others seem not to and it is obvious at the games that is one thing I thought would never change with Amherst football but it has. I will move on to basketball now. Go Lancers. Thanks to all the posters who have supported me during the years, I appreciate it. Good Luck to all the teams playing for title. I will still comment until the season is over. Just not sure if I will post next year

100% agree it was a bad call. But to say Amhearst would have won the game and state if a TD hadn't been called, is pure speculation.

Rehashed the Spradlin catch for years (by the way one of the best catches that wasn't that I've ever seen). Amherst fans will never forget it. Amherst fans remember it as determining the outcome, it did not. Salem may have scored anyway in that series, may not have. The bad call took that from us and we will never know what would have happened. I remember how Salem got screwed when Richland's wore illegal cleats in the mud and slop at Richland's. Again the sad thing is we will never know what would have happened if the game would have been played fairly. I do think it is unfair to make judgements on who was the better team . That's what's so sad about those missed calls, we get that taken from us, we will never know

After watching the video, I'm fully convinced neither sideline official saw the end of the "catch," but only saw when the receiver was still inbounds. They were both in great position, and if this play happened on the opposite sideline where the wing official (HL) drifts downfield instead of holding the line of scrimmage like the LJ has to do on this side of the field, this would've been ruled an easy incompletion since the HL would've been much closer to the play and would've had a great view (you can see the HL on the opposite side of the field drifting downfield on the screen at the beginning of this play). This catch literally split the two officials in half in terms of distance from each of them, and goes out of bounds a good ways where they both may have been blocked out. I can guarantee you the short wing (LJ, the one running up from the line of scrimmage after the catch) was blocked out by all of the players on the sideline. I don't know if the deep wing was blocked out, but easily could've been from that distance.

What I don't like is that they didn't seem to take the input of the other official who came running in afterward and tried to talk them off of calling it a catch. I do believe both were either blocked out or didn't see it, and in that case you have to accept input from others. Officiating is a very humbling job, and you can never dig your feet in the ground especially when you have doubt.

In my opinion, the incorrect call was a factor of a perfect storm; where the play happened (essentially in no man's land between the LJ and FJ and a few yards into the sideline behind where players are standing, while the LJ is correctly holding the line) and ineffective communication with the other officials.

While the call was incorrect, there's still no excuse for unsportsmanlike behavior. The play could've easily been ruled an incompletion after they all discussed it, but the 15 yards for the UC would've still given Blacksburg a first down. Have to keep your composure in those situations so that you don't cost your teams unnecessary penalty yards. I'm not saying don't be upset or frustrated. He had a very good reason to be. But, don't do something that crosses the line.

After watching the video, I'm fully convinced neither sideline official saw the end of the "catch," but only saw when the receiver was still inbounds. They were both in great position, and if this play happened on the opposite sideline where the wing official (HL) drifts downfield instead of holding the line of scrimmage like the LJ has to do on this side of the field, this would've been ruled an easy incompletion since the HL would've been much closer to the play and would've had a great view (you can see the HL on the opposite side of the field drifting downfield on the screen at the beginning of this play). This catch literally split the two officials in half in terms of distance from each of them, and goes out of bounds a good ways where they both may have been blocked out. I can guarantee you the short wing (LJ, the one running up from the line of scrimmage after the catch) was blocked out by all of the players on the sideline. I don't know if the deep wing was blocked out, but easily could've been from that distance.

What I don't like is that they didn't seem to take the input of the other official who came running in afterward and tried to talk them off of calling it a catch. I do believe both were either blocked out or didn't see it, and in that case you have to accept input from others. Officiating is a very humbling job, and you can never dig your feet in the ground especially when you have doubt.

In my opinion, the incorrect call was a factor of a perfect storm; where the play happened (essentially in no man's land between the LJ and FJ and a few yards into the sideline behind where players are standing, while the LJ is correctly holding the line) and ineffective communication with the other officials.

While the call was incorrect, there's still no excuse for unsportsmanlike behavior. The play could've easily been ruled an incompletion after they all discussed it, but the 15 yards for the UC would've still given Blacksburg a first down. Have to keep your composure in those situations so that you don't cost your teams unnecessary penalty yards. I'm not saying don't be upset or frustrated. He had a very good reason to be. But, don't do something that crosses the line.
Very well said. My only challenge with anything you said was "don't do something that crosses the line." There is a lot of subjectivity in officiating which leads to the question, what is "the line" and when is it crossed? I don't know what the Glass player said or if it was even directed at anyone so I'm not condoning it but, I have been around the game a very long time in many different capacities and I'm not naive to think that certain actions/language is tolerated from certain players/teams and certain actions/language is not tolerated from certain players/teams.

Why would Roanoke officials favor Blacksburg? Blacksburg 45 minutes away. Also by the way, if you want to know the truth most people from Roanoke feel they have gotten the worst Homer officiating in football and basketball when they visited Lynchburg

Why would Roanoke officials favor Blacksburg? Blacksburg 45 minutes away. Also by the way, if you want to know the truth most people from Roanoke feel they have gotten the worst Homer officiating in football and basketball when they visited Lynchburg
Other than Fleming and Northside, when has any Roanoke schools visited Lynchburg schools in football in the last 5 years?

Last edited:
Other than Fleming and Northside, when have any Roanoke schools visited Lynchburg schools in football in the last 5 years?
This goes back to the 60s. Fleming, Patrick Henry, Andrew Lewis (Salem) fans have been telling horror stories for decades

Very well said. My only challenge with anything you said was "don't do something that crosses the line." There is a lot of subjectivity in officiating which leads to the question, what is "the line" and when is it crossed? I don't know what the Glass player said or if it was even directed at anyone so I'm not condoning it but, I have been around the game a very long time in many different capacities and I'm not naive to think that certain actions/language is tolerated from certain players/teams and certain actions/language is not tolerated from certain players/teams.

That's a very good question. There's a gray area for sure when it comes to "the line," but some things are no brainers. Directing foul language or commentary towards an official is automatic. Also this year, the VHSL has sent out a memo to AD's and official's associations in reference to unsportsmanlike behavior and foul language. The VHSL has reiterated (and demanded) a form of a zero tolerance policy. So, if you've seen more UC's this year, that is probably why. This year and in future years, no team is going to be given any tolerance according to the VHSL administration. I expect to see an increase in UC's as this is now a huge point of emphasis.

Some gray areas are when a coach or player directs their displeasure at "the call" the official made rather than the official as a person, and that all depends on how you phrase it. Another gray area is personal fouls with pushing and shoving after a play. It all depends and it's very subjective. Little shoves are usually nothing, just a talking to. Putting a player on his rear-end well after the play's obviously over is probably going to get you 15.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNation85
Wikki you know I'm going to call you out like I did Yore. You're a fan and a supporter of your kids and you going to let a bunch of internet coaches and experts run you off, what will the kids think You play until the final play and post until the final post no retreat no surrender. Some fuel for thought Happy Thanksgiving

Wikki you know I'm going to call you out like I did Yore. You're a fan and a supporter of your kids and you going to let a bunch of internet coaches and experts run you off, what will the kids think You play until the final play and post until the final post no retreat no surrender. Some fuel for thought Happy Thanksgiving
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well

Rehashed the Spradlin catch for years (by the way one of the best catches that wasn't that I've ever seen). Amherst fans will never forget it. Amherst fans remember it as determining the outcome, it did not. Salem may have scored anyway in that series, may not have. The bad call took that from us and we will never know what would have happened. I remember how Salem got screwed when Richland's wore illegal cleats in the mud and slop at Richland's. Again the sad thing is we will never know what would have happened if the game would have been played fairly. I do think it is unfair to make judgements on who was the better team . That's what's so sad about those missed calls, we get that taken from us, we will never know
Yep. They were two very evenly matched teams... the next year was a close one with Amherst winning when they were evenly matched.

I went back and rewatched the game. An early pass interference call that went against Blacksburg is easily one of the worst PI calls I have ever seen. The call in question was horrible, no doubt, but it would be hard for anyone to rewatch that game and think the officiating was one-sided.

Reactions: cb2018
Yep. They were two very evenly matched teams... the next year was a close one with Amherst winning when they were evenly matched.
Someone asked my opinion and I gave it. Like I said this board is no longer enjoyable

I went back and rewatched the game. An early pass interference call that went against Blacksburg is easily one of the worst PI calls I have ever seen.

The PI at 10:55 on the YouTube video? I have to disagree. On full screen, I see the DB holding the receivers arm while the ball is still in the air. That is furthered by the fact that two officials threw their flags simultaneously (so they both saw a foul) and the official on the screen is reaching for his flag before the ball reaches the players. It looks like he sees what I saw.

The PI at 10:55 on the YouTube video? I have to disagree. On full screen, I see the DB holding the receivers arm while the ball is still in the air. That is furthered by the fact that two officials threw their flags simultaneously (so they both saw a foul) and the official on the screen is reaching for his flag before the ball reaches the players. It looks like he sees what I saw.
He thinks he sees somethings... that isn't close to PI. It was a strange looking play but an awful call.

He thinks he sees somethings... that isn't close to PI. It was a strange looking play but an awful call.

Like I said, with the video on full screen I can see the DB holding the receiver's arm, which constitutes DPI. When you have 2 flags from 2 different officials, it's probably a foul.

Like I said, with the video on full screen I can see the DB holding the receiver's arm, which constitutes DPI. When you have 2 flags from 2 different officials, it's probably a foul.

While I dont really care about either team, since 2 people are seeing things differently I decided to check it out. First, the talking is obviously biased, but I am guessing they are from Blacksburg so that's fine. What I saw was the 2 players arms together, so interference is what I saw.

Definition of pass interference is: pass interference (PI) is a foul that occurs when a player interferes with an eligible receiver's ability to make a fair attempt to catch a forward pass. ...

If he cannot get his arm up to catch it, then there is interference

Reactions: LunchPailD
When is the call in question?

This is the first time I've heard my own call of the play. I called it like I saw it - incomplete. In the course of a season a team will benefit from a bad call here and there and be victimized by a bad call here and there. Blacksburg clearly benefitted in this case while Glass was victimized on the play. It was one play among many, and seldom does one bad call cost a team a game, but I'm glad I called it like I did because it looked incomplete to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT