ADVERTISEMENT

R.E.Lee...

leemen

VaPreps All District
Feb 12, 2004
Another storied year has come to an end but...not without more tradition being carried on. District champs. District tourney champs, Regional champs, Final Four, and State runner up. Very good season for the Leemen! Jarvis Vaugaun and all the Seniors gave us Lee fans a lot to cheer about and appreciate this season.

Lee will reload and be back in the hunt next season as well and another chapter will begin for Lee basketball.

Terrell Mickens deserves a TON of respect and credit for what he did this season. He was put in to a interim head coaching job the day of the first game. He led the Leemen through the season and into a State Title game. I think he has more than earned the interim tag to be removed and to be the Head Coach. I for one would like to see him lead Lee into the future. So...Congrats Coach Mickens on an incredible job this season!

I was impressed with Mickens last night! The man lead his team back to state title....they better wipe away that interim junk and slap a head coaching title on him.

Congrats to the Leemen on an impressive season. Team was loaded with talent yet again and im sure youll be back into the mix for several seasons to come. Maybe the Devils and Leemen will meet again.

Tell me this - you people have so little success that you have to brag about it all the time? I mean, I understand school spirit but this is beyond ridiculous!

Tell me this - you people have so little success that you have to brag about it all the time? I mean, I understand school spirit but this is beyond ridiculous!

I'm not a primary Lee guy, but was rooting for them in the playoffs. But.......I wouldn't say they've had "so little success." If comparing Lee to other Class 2A schools in Virginia, they've had a shi$load of success historically in the athletic arena. As a matter of fact, perhaps more than 90-95 percent of Class 2A schools in Virginia. If your not a Lee fan, or don't think their fans are cool, or that their fans are over the top, then I respect your opinion and that opinion could be argued either way one chooses. What can't be argued? They've had a ton of athletic success now and historically compared to their peers (other 2A schools in Virginia). Have there been schools in 2A with more success? Sure.....but not many.

But.......I wouldn't say they've had "so little success."

I really hate to be misquoted - the statement was a "tongue-in-cheek" post about how much the Lee fans post about how good their players are when they don't play any really "stiff" competition until the playoffs start. I hope you will re-read the post again.

But.......I wouldn't say they've had "so little success."
I really hate to be misquoted - the statement was a "tongue-in-cheek" post about how much the Lee fans post about how good their players are when they don't play any really "stiff" competition until the playoffs start. I hope you will re-read the post again.

DMS, here's your very own words, " you people have so little success that you have to brag about it all the time? I mean, I understand school spirit but this is beyond ridiculous!"

My apologies if you felt you were misquoted, but I certainly don't think I misunderstood you. Your statement is what it is. If your post truly is referring to Lee's players only, and not the history of the schools athletic success, then I still disagree with you, because historically, Lee has also had very good athletes in Hoops and Football, compared to the overwhelming majority of other Class 2 schools in Virginia. Additionally, I repeat that I have no issue with your opinion of Lee's fans. That's your opinion and one I respect. I disagree with it also, but it's an opinion that can be argued anyway. But again, there's not much of an argument if one discusses Lee's players only, or if discussing their athletic teams. Fact is, they've had a ton of good one's historically, both individually as players and as teams; therefore, the words, "so little success" is not as applicable to Lee as it is the overwhelming majority of other Class 2A schools in Virginia. The words "so little success" really don't apply much to Lee either as a team historically in hoops and football, or as individual players historically. As to whether their fans have had "so little success" then I'm not sure what that means.

Evidently you should read some of the Lee fans posts here. It seems they have an almost incessant "NEED" to make comments on each and every game in which their teams participate - telling how "mightily" each team and player struggled to overcome adversity before, during, and after each and every contest.

And, while I certainly respect both the athletes' of R. E. Lee - Staunton individual accomplishments and the accomplishments of their sports program as a whole, I fail to see the need to "blow one's own horn" about those accomplishments all the live-long day (and night)!

And, fyi, it's called "sarcasm"!

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
Evidently you should read some of the Lee fans posts here. It seems they have an almost incessant "NEED" to make comments on each and every game in which their teams participate - telling how "mightily" each team and player struggled to overcome adversity before, during, and after each and every contest.
And, while I certainly respect both the athletes' of R. E. Lee - Staunton individual accomplishments and the accomplishments of their sports program as a whole, I fail to see the need to "blow one's own horn" about those accomplishments all the live-long day (and night)!
And, fyi, it's called "sarcasm"!

DMSpartan, again no issue with your opinion about Lee's fans enthusiasm. Whether you call it "blowing one's own horn" or whatever, that's your opinion and as I told you earlier. I respect it. I disagree with it, but respect it. Why do I disagree? Because......why aren't John Battle fans posting? Why aren't Tabb fans posting? What about Bruton or Fort Defiance fans? My point is, there's not much to post about right now regarding success, at least not recently. The schools that are doing well generally always seem to have an active fan base on message boards when they are doing well, and many who aren't from these schools have strong disagreements with the fan bases of the schools that are winning. You see it on nearly every board at each level. The same applies to Salem fans. Very active. Why? They are doing well. Again, that's an explanation of why I disagree with your opinion of Lee's fans, but.......mine is also simply an opinion. Those can go either way.

As for your quote on sarcasm. I'm well aware of it. I familiar with the definition of the word (see, that's also sarcasm). But, because you label something sarcasm doesn't mean your opinion is correct. That applies to me as well, and anyone else for that matter.

So why aren't there a lot of Martinsville fans boasting about their successes? Or a lot of Brunswick fans? Simple - they don't feel the need to boast and brag and, in doing so, make all those schools you named - and the others you didn't - feel "small". Maybe their egos are content to let their schools' records speak for themselves.

BTW, you fail to mention that Lee's successes are often coming at the expense of their neighboring schools.

And to what "quote" on sarcasm are you referring??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT