ADVERTISEMENT

Radford 67 Greenbriar East 27

I was saying at the end of last season...that Radford was my state title pick for this season. They had an incredible season and brought just about everyone back. I expect they have a great chance to win it all. Gate City, Martinsville, East Rock, and maybe some others will have something to say about that but...The Bobcats look awfully good.

The Bobcats are the real deal. They may get tested by Dudley out of Greensboro in a couple of weeks and they play 3A Northside of Roanoke towards the end of the regular season, other than that I really dont think they will be tested till regionals and I dont know who in Region C will challenge them either.

This team might not be beaten by anyone in div 2 or anyone on their schedule. Might be a few years before you see them this good again. I'm pretty sure over half the team are seniors and QMRs don't come along very often.

Reactions: eastspartan
Eastrock is pretty good. I’m sure they can challenge Radford.

It's not fair to East Rock at all, but football kinda scared me off of them. It's illogical, as they're completely different sports, but East Rock has to prove they can win against a team like Radford when it counts before I'm gonna pick them to win. Haven't seen them play in person, but all the hype the football team had, a team that was supposedly the best of 2A, couldn't win when it counted so I'm hesitant to bet against the traditional favorites like Radford.

Region D is down. I dont expect a challenge from any D teams.

Region D is down. I dont expect a challenge from any D teams.

Maybe GC or Graham could get hot and challenge someone, but I don't expect it. GC isn't balanced enough and you can tell Graham misses Martin. I'm not sure how the best of D would factor against A or B, but Region C has gotta be considered the clear top region.

Region C has taken 8 of the last 11 titles if my memory is correct. Likely be 9 out of 12 unless someone can stop Radford.

Reactions: BigWinners
8 Seniors on this Radford squad. 2 really good Sophomore in Cormany and PJ. Heck they had a double digit guy transfer and look just as good if not better.

Slow down folks. We have a fantastic team and I think we are the favorites to win the state title. But, Martinsville is still Martinsville and Gate City is still Gate City. Both have the ability to beat us. I hear East Rock is fantastic and I understand Graham is down from what they were last year, but we are not a slam dunk to win the title. As for us not being tested? Northside (3A) is one of the top 5 teams in Virginia at any level, and they will do more than test Radford. They will likely beat us or at least they will be favored.

Patrick Henry is top 5 in 5A and Radford handled them easily. Northside should be a real good test. Come tournament time it can kind of be a crap shoot .Radford has won some and they have lost some.

Martinsville played Northside on the Vikings homecourt and lost by 15 after a back and forth battle of runs by both teams. It'll be interesting to see how Radford does against them. I think that one is a neutral site game if I remember correctly.

Who is too contender to stop them? ER?

I don't quite understand what you are saying here? All I was stating was that for the last ten+ years region C has taken home more than their share of state titles in their classification. Radford is very talented and has a good chance to take it again this year. I don't think anyone in their district has a hope of beating them. Outside of the district their is always Martinsville or possibly DR in region C and I'm sure someone in Regions D/B/A can/will give them a game. Peaking at the right time is what teams want, one bad night at the wrong point in the tournament and your done, really good teams have been known to go home early. March is a ways off and teams have a lot of games left to get better. Radford is one of those teams who usually peaks the whole season but being a city school and having a coach who takes winning seriously makes it easier to do. Players are involved year round and winning is supported and backed by the school and community.

I don't quite understand what you are saying here? All I was stating was that for the last ten+ years region C has taken home more than their share of state titles in their classification. Radford is very talented and has a good chance to take it again this year. I don't think anyone in their district has a hope of beating them. Outside of the district their is always Martinsville or possibly DR in region C and I'm sure someone in Regions D/B/A can/will give them a game. Peaking at the right time is what teams want, one bad night at the wrong point in the tournament and your done, really good teams have been known to go home early. March is a ways off and teams have a lot of games left to get better. Radford is one of those teams who usually peaks the whole season but being a city school and having a coach who takes winning seriously makes it easier to do. Players are involved year round and winning is supported and backed by the school and community.

I was asking who are the real contenders to Radford? Region D doesn't have any.

I was asking who are the real contenders to Radford? Region D doesn't have any.

Yes they do. Region D had Gate City and Graham. I know, we hammered Graham earlier, but they will be much improved by seasons end. Gate City has a division 1 player who will lead the state in scoring and they are well coached and talented enough that for one game, they could play with us and beat us. Favored? No, but if you think the difference is 15 points, then we disagree. Martinsville has decades long history of being "good" in regular season and then going on a terror come playoff time and cutting the nets down. Never count this bunch out. I think Martinsville and Gate City have enough talent to beat us on a given night. I think Graham and Dan River are a long shot, but both much better by seasons end due to the shear athleticism. ER, I hear is good, but just don't know.

In region A, both Greensville County and Brunswick are very very good with athletes all over the floor and Both have enough talent to beat Radford.

Last edited:
Reactions: one man
Yes they do. Region D had Gate City and Graham. I know, we hammered Graham earlier, but they will be much improved by seasons end. Gate City has a division 1 player who will lead the state in scoring and they are well coached and talented enough that for one game, they could play with us and beat us. Favored? No, but if you think the difference is 15 points, then we disagree. Martinsville has decades long history of being "good" in regular season and then going on a terror come playoff time and cutting the nets down. Never count this bunch out. I think Martinsville and Gate City have enough talent to beat us on a given night. I think Graham and Dan River are a long shot, but both much better by seasons end due to the shear athleticism. ER, I hear is good, but just don't know.

In region A, both Greensville County and Brunswick are very very good with athletes all over the floor and Both have enough talent to beat Radford.

Have you actually watched GC this year? They aren't real contenders .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT