ADVERTISEMENT

Radford Gate City

Yes. But as I have mentioned three times already, the Tazewell gym was already booked for something else. A school dance I believe.

The question that needs to be answered is why Carlock chose Wise over Lebanon or Virginia High once he found out Tazewell was already booked? Lebanon and Virginia High are both fellow SWD members and both gyms are more than capable of hosting a game of this magnitude and both closer to Bluefield than Wise.

The usual for swvahavokfan, a thinker and great incite. I mean that sincerely. I don't always agree with you, but you are pretty sharp in my book because that is exactly the question and the one I was thinking of. Why did the Graham coach AGREE to play at Wise? There are more choices I think. Does Graham not play football in Bluefield, WV? I've heard from Graham fans on this board approximately 2 years ago talk about the National Guard Armory, or something of that sort in Bluefield, WV, where Graham has played games, and that it holds about 1500 to 2,000 fans, as well at Princeton, WV, which holds 2,000 fans according to some Graham fans. If so, why not play there. It's not like its impossible. Has Graham not hosted playoff games in football on a stadium in WV? The only thing I can think of is.......Graham won at Wise over Gate City and the Coach is comfortable playing there because his kids just won there. I could see that I guess, but man, 2 hours drive to host a home game is a long way. Especially considering Martinsville's girls are playing there. They will have as many or more fans than Graham.

One final thing I read on this board is that Tazewell High (which apparently has a huge gym) has a dance or something like that. Folks, basketball isn't football. The "field" In basketball doesn't get dirty. If Tazewell were to have a dance, simply schedule the game before the dance or after the dance on the same day. It's not that hard. Look at Wise who just had 4 games in one day.

Reactions: tonybologna
I was thinking the same thing y'all were 2 years ago. Why in the world did Martinsville and Dan River have to drive almost 4 hours to Wise to play each other. To me, that was beyond comprehension, just crazy.

lucas, i can almost assure you that the vhsl would not let the game go into west va to be played

The usual for swvahavokfan, a thinker and great incite. I mean that sincerely. I don't always agree with you, but you are pretty sharp in my book because that is exactly the question and the one I was thinking of. Why did the Graham coach AGREE to play at Wise? There are more choices I think. Does Graham not play football in Bluefield, WV? I've heard from Graham fans on this board approximately 2 years ago talk about the National Guard Armory, or something of that sort in Bluefield, WV, where Graham has played games, and that it holds about 1500 to 2,000 fans, as well at Princeton, WV, which holds 2,000 fans according to some Graham fans. If so, why not play there. It's not like its impossible. Has Graham not hosted playoff games in football on a stadium in WV? The only thing I can think of is.......Graham won at Wise over Gate City and the Coach is comfortable playing there because his kids just won there. I could see that I guess, but man, 2 hours drive to host a home game is a long way. Especially considering Martinsville's girls are playing there. They will have as many or more fans than Graham.

One final thing I read on this board is that Tazewell High (which apparently has a huge gym) has a dance or something like that. Folks, basketball isn't football. The "field" In basketball doesn't get dirty. If Tazewell were to have a dance, simply schedule the game before the dance or after the dance on the same day. It's not that hard. Look at Wise who just had 4 games in one day.

I'm glad you finally found a SWVA fan you can be civil with. Lol. I may also have to get behind your Poquoson girls if they wind up meeting Wise Central in the finals.

I was thinking the same thing y'all were 2 years ago. Why in the world did Martinsville and Dan River have to drive almost 4 hours to Wise to play each other. To me, that was beyond comprehension, just crazy.

I wondered the same thing at the time, because Chatham and Floyd moved their girls consolation to Radford that same day I believe. Also, couldn't figure out last year why us and Wise Central played the region girls consolation game at James River when it could've been played much closer.

So the game is officially Friday at 8:30...Only game at the Dedmon Center. Why on earth isn't GW playing Honaker at Radford? Says that they will play Friday at Roanoke College. So you pass Radford to go to Roanoke and play a ball game? CRAZY!

Who cares where they play. The teams will show up, as fans if you want to come, come on down. If not, don't. My only thing is that these decisions should have been made earlier in the year and the sites should have been decided on. We left Radford on Sat night thinking we were playing Graham at Tazewell then find out Sunday we are at Wise. Might as well change it again before Saturday

Reactions: eh31
I'm glad you finally found a SWVA fan you can be civil with. Lol. I may also have to get behind your Poquoson girls if they wind up meeting Wise Central in the finals.
Jeez you're supposed to have my back, not take shots too! lolol

SWVa_havoc_fan, you may have to come to the reality the Wise-Central may more than likely win the Class 2 again.

SWVa_havoc_fan, you may have to come to the reality the Wise-Central may more than likely win the Class 2 again.
They're much more vulnerable this year. They're good, don't get me wrong, but they aren't the behemoth like in years past. If you can get their post player in foul trouble and play solid without a ton of turnovers, you can beat them.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
BigWinners, that's Martinsville ( girl's) problem. They make way too many turnovers. I won't be surprised if Wise blows the Lady Dawgs out.
DSH, how is the world did Bassett beat Chatham? I know Bassett makes teams play ugly but I wouldn't expect Chatham to have taken an L from them. Coach French looks like she may have built a program there at the school located off of Rt. 57.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
BigWinners, that's Martinsville ( girl's) problem. They make way too many turnovers. I won't be surprised if Wise blows the Lady Dawgs out.
DSH, how is the world did Bassett beat Chatham? I know Bassett makes teams play ugly but I wouldn't expect Chatham to have taken an L from them. Coach French looks like she may have built a program there at the school located off of Rt. 57.
Bassett beat them by 2 in OT and then Chatham beat them by 20. Probably just an ugly let down game. GW had one against Halifax, Dawgs had one against Morehead. Games that make you say how in the world did they beat us?

Reactions: AntGZee

Yeah, unfortunately that's what folks have been telling me. That we were the only hope to stop them. But we choked and got knocked out by a hungrier Bearcat team that night.

Don't mean I can't hope that they get beat though. Lol.

I think they only won one more game the rest of the season.

Ah geez, it may be a tough task for them then lol. Wise will create havoc, if a team turns the ball over and gives them some easy looks, they can be really good. Wise is for sure Battle tested, having to play Ridgeview, Abingdon (the top seed in 3A in Region D), Union and Gate City all twice at least and they only faltered twice, but if a team can clamp down on their top scoring guard and just try and contain the post, I believe they have a shot. But can't allow them easy baskets, they're incredibly well coached and won't repay the favor with their own turnovers.

I remember seeing Wise beat the Lady Dawgs last year for the Chip and I was impressed with them. My Lady Dawgs are in trouble then, when they make that ride west. BigWinners, the things is with the Lady Dawgs, they turn the ball over without pressure, so with pressure, it's a done deal. Wise over my Lady Dawgs by 17.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigWinners
I remember seeing Wise beat the Lady Dawgs last year for the Chip and I was impressed with them. My Lady Dawgs are in trouble then when they make that ride west. BigWinners, the things is with the Lady Dawgs, they turn the ball over without pressure, so with pressure, it's a done deal. Wise over my Lady Dawgs by 17.

Well would it give you any optimism to know that one of the teams that took down Wise, Union, also can be incredibly turnover-prone at times? lol
Union has had issues with turnovers throughout the year but managed to limit them against Wise. I don't remember Wise using much full court pressure but they are tenacious in the half court and Dotson, their coach, is a master at attacking a teams' weaknesses.

Are the Lady Dogs young? If so, this could really help a young team grow for the future.

Apparently the Tazewell gym was already booked for of all things a school dance.

It doesn't make sense why they didn't choose either Lebanon or Virginia High though in its place, as both are suitable and closer than Wise.

Although it doesn't really bother me they're playing it at Wise now because that means I get to read AntGZee's cries of despair all week now. Lol.

Update **

It wasn’t a school dance, it was a community daddy-daughter dance

giphy.gif

Reactions: GMAlum
Ballislife did a good job capturing the game...not just GC highlights. Radford did get outplayed but I’m glad this video will remember how good the game was until about 5 min left. Good season for the Cats. GL to GC moving forward.

Ballislife did a good job capturing the game...not just GC highlights. Radford did get outplayed but I’m glad this video will remember how good the game was until about 5 min left. Good season for the Cats. GL to GC moving forward.
My guy Drew Canavos shoots these games for Ball Is Life. He’s a VCU student as we had a class together last year. He does a great job.

QMR is electric, but his shots were simply not falling. 10-25 from field IIRC, if he had shot better, Radford may could've won but the lack of any kind of post play killed Bobcats. They got nothing inside and Ervin came up big for GC. First RU loss in a LONG time.

Straight out of Cormanys mouth

"We haven’t had any post play all year,” Cormany said. “We still didn’t have any tonight."

I wonder what they will work on in the off season?

His main priority seemed to be slowing/stopping Mac, while he may have accomplished that he left it to the rest playing 3 on 4 on defense to win the game, that part failed. Its not the first time he has made that mistake. Last year DR let Mac get what he got, 64? And still won. Just proving that one man is not going to beat you.

After watching the video - it seems to me that GC didn't try to be 'flashy/dunk city' like they were in several games that I saw them play online.

They play good team D - Mac had to earn his points - but everyone contributed.

It's going to be a war against Graham.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT