ADVERTISEMENT

Random Thoughts on 2016

freeatlast2013

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 23, 2013
The Blue Ridge and River Ridge end up better in end than beginning of year. Staunton River , William Byrd , Blacksburg and not to mention decent teams or traditional powers in Lord Botetourt , Northside and Pulaski . Oh yeah Salem only had one player after 1st game of year according to some comments . The perception is different now overall different. The Seminole, on the other hand ended up maybe not quite as strong as originally perceived . A lot of good teams beating up on each other but Blacksburg blasting both Brookville and beating Heritage and Phoebus changed that somewhat. I think JF of 2015 was better than any of these teams at end of year. All that being said and admitting that I am no expert on Amherst , their season was ended on key injury and turnovers. I not sure if they thought they were better because they beat Salem at the beginning of year by two points when Salem was not playing very good defense and they caught two or three wide open touchdown passes gave them way too much overconfidence, at least among their fan base. Blacksburg has improved , Salem has improved and Staunton River is on a mission , especially after their only loss when they were held to six points in a mud bowl in Vinton by a very physical and under rated Terrier squad.

Even without Ramsey, Salem significantly better than opening game, mostly on defensive end where they have gotten better against the run

Quite a few things happened for Salem that have them playing better than they did in week 1. The play at right tackle has gotten a lot better with the sophomore Cardwell getting more experience and the big weakness at left tackle improved when Mundy finally came back for being injured the last game of the regular season. Also, they finally started getting more production from the FB in the running game when they let Fox take over full time.

Defensively the tackling improved dramatically after the Amherst game and that has been a strength of the team. They also improved a weakness at LB when the sophomore Britton took over at the position opposite Fox. Some mental mistakes early by a very good senior safety have also been rectified.

I still would have loved to see Ramsey playing football right now because he is the most talented player on the team and one of the most talented players in the state on both sides of the ball. The production in his position has been decent since he has been off the team offensively but not near the level of where he was playing.

The Blue Ridge and River Ridge end up better in end than beginning of year. Staunton River , William Byrd , Blacksburg and not to mention decent teams or traditional powers in Lord Botetourt , Northside and Pulaski . Oh yeah Salem only had one player after 1st game of year according to some comments . The perception is different now overall different. The Seminole, on the other hand ended up maybe not quite as strong as originally perceived . A lot of good teams beating up on each other but Blacksburg blasting both Brookville and beating Heritage and Phoebus changed that somewhat. I think JF of 2015 was better than any of these teams at end of year. All that being said and admitting that I am no expert on Amherst , their season was ended on key injury and turnovers. I not sure if they thought they were better because they beat Salem at the beginning of year by two points when Salem was not playing very good defense and they caught two or three wide open touchdown passes gave them way too much overconfidence, at least among their fan base. Blacksburg has improved , Salem has improved and Staunton River is on a mission , especially after their only loss when they were held to six points in a mud bowl in Vinton by a very physical and under rated Terrier squad.

Dang Amherst beat Salem and now there is talk about they thought they were better because they beat Salem. Salem didn't play their best game???. They had Ramsey then who everyone was talking about how good he was. Amherst played a heck of game that night, actually came from 14 down to win that game, two point win is a win. Yes Amherst lost their starting QB to an injury. That did shift things a little and if Amherst had their turnovers under control and not so many penalties who knows where they would be now. Take away any of these teams starting QB and see if they would be where they are now

I thought I made that plain Wikki . I made the statement that Amherst was hurt by injuries and turnovers. They could have been better and had the talent to.do so and any time your starting QB goes down that is a killer. That being said Salem is much better than THEY were since that first game. Sorry I probably did not spell that out very well.

Reactions: wikki
I thought I made that plain Wikki . I made the statement that Amherst was hurt by injuries and turnovers. They could have been better and had the talent to.do so and any time your starting QB goes down that is a killer. That being said Salem is much better than THEY were since that first game. Sorry I probably did not spell that out very well.
He also broke his ankle last year, he returns next year but not sure if we will have the speed as this year. JV was good so let's hope they had some skilled and fast players. I hated it for this team this year. They were some of my favorite players and great good of kids

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT