ADVERTISEMENT

RE Lee vs Gate City

sharkfan83

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 30, 2015
How do you guys see this one playing out? I know that the size of Lee will cause GC issues but I know that Mac is gonna cause issues for them as well. Ervin will need to have a big game and Collier will have to contribute as well. If (and that's a big if) GC decides to play some defense and scraps around on the boards, I think this game goes down to the wire.

Either way, a couple teams with several D1 athletes going up against one another.....This should be a very entertaining game to say the least.

How ironic that Lee and Gate City will be playing each other for a state QF, instead of what many expected could have been a state final - but that's why they play the game on the court.

Based on what I understand from Lee's game last night Madison, the Leemen do seem to have trouble with teams that have good guard play - it's almost like that negates Lee's height advantage and athleticism in a lot of games.

It might also come down to free throw shooting - which Lee performed very poorly last night the few minutes - and probably cost them the game.

All in all, it should be one heck of a game - and the reward most likely will be.............Dan River awaiting in the state semis.

Oh yea....I imagine there will be a LOT of dunks in this one!

Last edited:
The Mcclung kid of Gate City is an amazing player. I've watched some video on him...and that kid is incredible. He reminds me of a more explosive Andrew Rowsey. He will be tough to stop...may be able to contain him but...contain may be 30 points.

I normally don't like the whole "loss" can help saying. In this case it just might for Lee. They were rolling along and then came the tough loss last night. They may be more focused and inspired going into the state tourney now. It's not out of the question to see Lee and Madison for the title.

Gate City is no joke and Lee will have to bring it 100%. Should be a fun one and a track meet.

Last edited:
The 'survivor' of the Gate City/Dan River/Lee half of the bracket - just my humble opinion - will be facing..........drum roll.............Amelia in the state finals.

I think they will get revenge for their loss at Madison in the state semis.

Always fun to predict - but like they say, you must win it on the courts.

Reactions: leemen
The 'survivor' of the Gate City/Dan River/Lee half of the bracket - just my humble opinion - will be facing..........drum roll.............Amelia in the state finals.

I hope madison plays amelia again. From what i understand madison played about as bad as they could've vs amelia. Im sure amelia gets credit for that. Im just hoping to see them in the finals at vcu

The Mcclung kid of Gate City is an amazing player. I've watched some video on him...and that kid is incredible. He reminds me of a more explosive Andrew Rowsey. He will be tough to stop...may be able to contain him but...contain may be 30 points.

I normally don't like the whole "loss" can help saying. In this case it just might for Lee. They were rolling along and then came the tough loss last night. They may be more focused and inspired going into the state tourney now. It's not out of the question to see Lee and Madison for the title.

Gate City is no joke and Lee will have to bring it 100%. Should be a fun one and a track meet.
Funny you should mention Rowsey, I mentioned to a couple people at the DR/GC game that same thing. I believe McClung may be even better, seems to have a stronger inside game imo.

Very unfamiliar with Lee. Exactly how big of a height advantage will they have on GC? Do they have guards that have the quickness to try and contain Mac? Won't be able to make it to the games but should be some good ones.

I've seen Lee up close. Darius George is 6'7 ( Marshall committee) and Jarvis Vaugh is 6'8. It's safe to say Lee has the sz advantage. Quick and aggressive guards give Lee fits. I'm not speaking on what I've heard. I've seen it in person. My team has Martin and Pettway, the Lee guards had a very tough time with them. I'm seeing that Lee is having that same trouble with other teams.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
How do you guys see this one playing out? I know that the size of Lee will cause GC issues but I know that Mac is gonna cause issues for them as well. Ervin will need to have a big game and Collier will have to contribute as well. If (and that's a big if) GC decides to play some defense and scraps around on the boards, I think this game goes down to the wire..

The Devils problem against Dan River wasn't offense or McClung scoring to much, it was defense. If you score as many as Gate City did in a High School Basketball Game, you should win, and I don't care if 1 guy scored 75 points and the rest of the team only got 9 points, you are STILL scoring enough points to win. This means, Gate City needs to work on its defense. With that said, we are also talking about Dan River. Whenever any team plays them, they are going to have defensive problems. The one concern is, how much energy are McClung and Erwin using offensively that may contribute to how the other team's offense is doing at the other end of the floor? If this is the case, then yes, the high scoring between McClung and Erwin could be an issue, but with a young high school kid, I am not sure how much of an issue it is. I could not attend James River due to work. I will be watching the Devils against the former High School of North Carolina star, Kevin Madden. I have no idea who will win. I have not seen one team from the East. For all I know, they are 20 points better than Gate City, or Gate City is 20 points better than them. I have no clue. I do know this though, McClung will get his. This guy will have major Div 1 offers after the season. His biggest now is Marshall which is of course Div 1, but I suspect higher Div 1 schools in the power conferences, at least a few of these schools will offer him.

P.S. My question in an earlier thread for Gate City fans was.........how many points did McClung score against Chatham. I know he had 23 at the end of the 3rd. Did he end up with 23? My apologies if the question was confusing as it was in a Dan River thread, so I understand how it could be confusing as I didn't clarify the exact game.

The Devils problem against Dan River wasn't offense or McClung scoring to much, it was defense. If you score as many as Gate City did in a High School Basketball Game, you should win, and I don't care if 1 guy scored 75 points and the rest of the team only got 9 points, you are STILL scoring enough points to win. This means, Gate City needs to work on its defense. With that said, we are also talking about Dan River. Whenever any team plays them, they are going to have defensive problems. The one concern is, how much energy are McClung and Erwin using offensively that may contribute to how the other team's offense is doing at the other end of the floor? If this is the case, then yes, the high scoring between McClung and Erwin could be an issue, but with a young high school kid, I am not sure how much of an issue it is. I could not attend James River due to work. I will be watching the Devils against the former High School of North Carolina star, Kevin Madden. I have no idea who will win. I have not seen one team from the East. For all I know, they are 20 points better than Gate City, or Gate City is 20 points better than them. I have no clue. I do know this though, McClung will get his. This guy will have major Div 1 offers after the season. His biggest now is Marshall which is of course Div 1, but I suspect higher Div 1 schools in the power conferences, at least a few of these schools will offer him.

P.S. My question in an earlier thread for Gate City fans was.........how many points did McClung score against Chatham. I know he had 23 at the end of the 3rd. Did he end up with 23? My apologies if the question was confusing as it was in a Dan River thread, so I understand how it could be confusing as I didn't clarify the exact game.

If you read the last part of my message that you quoted you'll see where I made the comment that IF (and that's a big if) GC decides to play defense and crash the boards i think the game goes to the wire.

However, the guys I mentioned in that post will absolutely have to do their part in scoring and on defense as well. I've watched this team all year and I know when they struggle.....And they struggle when the 3rd man doesn't have a good game and Mac and Zac end up having to do it all against a better than average foe.

And I think Mac had 27 in last night's game, Ervin had 25, Dean finished with 12, and Vermillion with a career high of 9. Can't remember how many the other guys had.

If you read the last part of my message that you quoted you'll see where I made the comment that IF (and that's a big if) GC decides to play defense and crash the boards i think the game goes to the wire.

However, the guys I mentioned in that post will absolutely have to do their part in scoring and on defense as well. I've watched this team all year and I know when they struggle.....And they struggle when the 3rd man doesn't have a good game and Mac and Zac end up having to do it all against a better than average foe.

And I think Mac had 27 in last night's game, Ervin had 25, Dean finished with 12, and Vermillion with a career high of 9. Can't remember how many the other guys had.

I agree with you. I'm referring to some folks who have primarily focused on an offensive problem for Gate City, and was not referring to your post. I agree with your post. I also agree with the premise of a third guy needing to step up some, especially offensively, because once again, if McClung and Erwin are to 90% of the scoring, what energy is this requiring which may effect the defensive end, especially rebounding after a missed shot. I don't remember what it's like to be young and in great shape, but I imagine it plays a part. I have not seen every GC game, but have seen about 1/3rd of them. In the games I watched, GC was still led by McClung and Erwin offensively which seemed like 90% of the scoring, and they won all of those that I watched, but in reading the stats, there is no question that when another guy steps up offensively or has a huge game like Collier against Graham, they do much better.

Time will tell. The big thing for GC in my opinion that will make the difference is going into the game with the following attitude, and that is......when the opponent misses a shot, that ball is OURS. No second chances. The next shot the opponent takes must be a shot that occurs after GC has had possession of the ball. I like GC's chances.

Losing to Madison hurts as far as seeding for sure, but in the grand scheme of things, Lee lives to fight another day and if you're gonna drop one, better to drop a non-elimination game. Could serve as a nice wake up call, as Bruton and Brunswick are not top level teams this year, so while I get that folks were excited after those two huge victories, this maybe lets them know that they need to stay focused and take it one game at a time

I just realized that I predicted the championship game in this thread...........back on February 26 before the state Quarterfinals began.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT